Found Deceased SC - Samantha Josephson, 21, Columbia, 29 March 2019 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If his parents have not been allowed to talk to him, how do they know he was passed out?

"Passed out" Ok, so IMO that ties in that he was totally waisted on either alcohol or drugs or both the night she got in his car and that contributed to his actions that night.

Some people turn into monsters when alcohol or drugs are involved and this could be that kind of person.

ETA - Just watched the whole interview. ok. So the defense is leading to someone took his car while he was passed out at a party and this unknown other person is the perp. LE will have to somehow prove who was driving the car at the time and if there was any wounds on that person.

Nathaniel Rowland's parents: 'If you did it, you gonna pay the consequences'

Last edited:
The description of the wounds is interesting. Stab wounds in the legs and feet, suggesting she was prone and kicking at him, perhaps from a sitting or recumbent position in the back seat while he stabs from the drivers seat.

Theory: SJ gets into the car and NR either realizes his trap has succeeded or is surprised and decides to use the opportunity he’s been afforded to commit a crime (robbery, rape). If the driver is alone (at this point I favor this scenario, since I don’t believe she gets in the car if there are two) he begins driving away like he’s just doing a standard ride share. Within a few minutes, SJ receives a text from the real Uber driver, at which point she realizes the mortal danger she is now in. She starts trying to open the doors, but is unable to due to the child locks. Maybe she starts to panic and she starts kicking at the doors and windows. Nate now realizes this isn’t going how he has planned. His car is being damaged and she’s screaming at him. He grabs his knife and initially threatens her, but she keeps kicking and screaming. He cuts her, probably intentionally but possibly accidentally. Now she’s really in sheer terror, and he’s full on panicked. It accelerates quickly with her being cut all over during the struggle, including her feet and legs. One or more of the wounds are fatal and the blood loss is extensive, leading to her death in the back seat. He finds a relatively secluded place and temporarily moves her body into the trunk. Panicked, he goes to a familiar place, an hour away, with the intent of placing her body someplace where no one will find it. He purchases the bleach and other cleaning agents thinking he can manage to get out of this somehow by removing all physical trace of her, but for whatever reason he doesn’t have to time to do a thorough job of it. He returns to 5 Points the next night to pick up his gf and is pulled over. JMHO

I couldn't have said my own thoughts better. This is exactly what I think happened as well. I completely think he was surprised when she got in though- I don't think it was a trap, I don't think any of this was planned or thought out before hand. You see her pull the door handle wait then open the door- the doors were locked and the murderer had to unlock them when Sami tried to open the door IMO. I don't understand how he controlled her while she was in the back seat and he was alone in the front. I guess this is when she received the wounds to her feet, he stopped the car, opened the back door and she starts fighting for her life. I think everything spiraled out of control and he murdered her.
Now I want to know- where are his clothes? They must be covered in her blood based on the state of the car. Where is the murder weapon? What is the murder weapon? Assuming it's a knife, did he always carry a knife around with him? And what are the chances this guy is sentenced to death??? Fingers and toes crossed!

I couldn't have said my own thoughts better. This is exactly what I think happened as well. I completely think he was surprised when she got in though- I don't think it was a trap, I don't think any of this was planned or thought out before hand. You see her pull the door handle wait then open the door- the doors were locked and the murderer had to unlock them when Sami tried to open the door IMO. I don't understand how he controlled her while she was in the back seat and he was alone in the front. I guess this is when she received the wounds to her feet, he stopped the car, opened the back door and she starts fighting for her life. I think everything spiraled out of control and he murdered her.
Now I want to know- where are his clothes? They must be covered in her blood based on the state of the car. Where is the murder weapon? What is the murder weapon? Assuming it's a knife, did he always carry a knife around with him? And what are the chances this guy is sentenced to death??? Fingers and toes crossed!

Yeah, if he did this, then there should be plenty of evidence that LE should be able to prove he was the one. DNA transfer. Fibers from his clothes on her body and visa versa, etc.

Like his family is saying, if some other person stole his keys while he was passed out at a party then this other persons DNA and fibers should be all over her.

I trust that LE will be able to prove if he did this or not.

I am still very baffled by her death. She is 5’7 seems pretty sturdy in size and he is 5’8 155 pounds. I am trying to picture this scrawny kid getting her body out of the car and into the woods without help. I know it is feasible it just seems it probably wasn’t easy for him to unload her body into the woods somewhere.

Also, Any suggestion if he they knew each other prior to this? I am trying to wrap my head around this murder. I have read this entire thread at least 5 times now before commenting.

Parents: "If you did it, you gonnna pay the consequences"
"Did he do this?", that's what Henry and Loretta Rowland are asking about their son, Nathaniel Rowland, who is charged in the murder of University of South Carolina student Samantha Josephson.

The Rowlands spoke exclusively to WACH FOX 57's reporter Bryant Monteilh about their son. Rowland says, "I know it's my child, but if you're wrong, you're wrong." Nathaniel's father said his son has to pay the consequences if proven guilty. "If he did it, I'll be the first one to put him behind bars, lock him up, and throw away the key", the father added. But Nathaniel's parents also insist that he is innocent.

[...]

Ugh, I feel so bad for them--they seem so sweet. I'm not getting a Ma Frazee or Watts feel from them after watching the longer video. I wonder if they know about his pawn shop charges.

If he did it, he better freaking fess up so they don't mortgage their property to defend him.

Ugh, I feel so bad for them--they seem so sweet. I'm not getting a Ma Frazee or Watts feel from them after watching the longer video. I wonder if they know about his pawn shop charges.

If he did it, he better freaking fess up so they don't mortgage their property to defend him.

Yes. He's already lost them their vehicle

RSBM

In the state of SC, it likely will be a long time before this goes to trial. If he is tried and convicted and receives DP, there likely will be years and years of appeals. JMOO

Yeah that was more or less rhetorical. Unfortunately that's how it is most places and there are a lot of "if"s before it even comes to that (if he is tried, if he is convicted, if he is sentenced to death, etc) so it's just a wait and see at this point. Now if only this happened in Texas...............

S0 why didn't he just let her go and say it was all a mistake?

I think he probably kept a knife in the car for his own safety. I don't think he was a mad slasher or anything.

Nice car, not so great neighborhood.

I am still very baffled by her death. She is 5’7 seems pretty sturdy in size and he is 5’8 155 pounds. I am trying to picture this scrawny kid getting her body out of the car and into the woods without help. I know it is feasible it just seems it probably wasn’t easy for him to unload her body into the woods somewhere.

Also, Any suggestion if he they knew each other prior to this? I am trying to wrap my head around this murder. I have read this entire thread at least 5 times now before commenting.
I think if they knew each other she would have gotten into the front seat with him rather than the rear seat. JMO.

He also had to get her from the car into the trunk. I doubt it was easy.

I too have wondered if there was help, at least at some point. Controlling her while driving, moving the body at least twice (out of car into trunk, out of trunk into woods).

Where did he clean up and/or get rid of his clothing? Did he stay at his parents? He was in that area after disposing of her body? Or relatives? Or back to town and faced his gf? Anyone's guess...

Whether they had any passing acquaintance, recognition or may have known each other, I do not think we know. The victim worked in a tap room, she missed a breakfast shift is part of what had people worried about her. Maybe he had been in there. Or if his gf worked in the 5 corners area and the victim frequented the area and he did as well, it may not be far fetched to think they ever crossed paths, at least in a hi, how are you doing kind of day as you walked by, or she may have known the gf if she worked there (that is speculation by some of us, no one knows she worked there or that she is even a gf, meaning the one in the car with him the next night)...

We do not even know a time frame of when he disposed of her quite honestly or whether he went straight there...

jmo.

S0 why didn't he just let her go and say it was all a mistake?

I think he probably kept a knife in the car for his own safety. I don't think he was a mad slasher or anything.

Nice car, not so great neighborhood.

Because he saw an opportunity to take advantage of his situation. I mean yeah if he was a normal human being he would have said oh hey I'm not an Uber get out. Instead, like I said in a previous post, he finds himself at 2 am with a beautiful woman in his backseat. I think this was 100% a crime of opportunity / convenience. He very may well have seen her get in the car and thought "oh I'm going to murder her" but IMO I think he thought "oh I'm going to get with her" but she wasn't receptive and he decided that was a reason to murder someone. The censoring on this website won't allow me to call him names I would like so I'll just leave it at that.
Also maybe he kept a knife on him for protection because of the line of "work" he was potentially involved in?

This is fairly local to me. I've lived in the Carolinas off/on my whole life. I've been right in this area many times as it is the typical college student bar hangout.

This young woman, SJ. went out on a weekend night like hundreds of other students do. It was late, she may have even been a bit tipsy and just assumed that it was her ride. There were still lots of people milling about at that time. There is absolutely NOTHING SJ DID that made her any less of a victim to this predator. She did not look or act like a prostitute, and I resent the implication. She thought he was an Uber driver and got into his car knowing she was getting a responsible ride home.

What this animal did is ON HIM. He took advantage of an opportunity and he chose to murder SJ. There are no excuses for that fact period. There are no actions he took after she mistakenly got into his car that leads me to believe he didn't plan on doing exactly what he did once he drove off with her.

IF he was surprised or startled he could have insisted she get out of his vehicle right then and there. IF she became aware something nefarious was going and started a confrontation to free herself she was doing what any normal young woman would do in that instance. She would have been fighting for her life. He could have left her on the side of the road alive.

No, NR made his choices and now a bright, beautiful and intelligent young woman will never get to graduate this May and is gone forever from her family, friends and this world because of him. Throw the book at him and let him rot behind bars. Peace to her loving family and friends.
JMO

This is fairly local to me. I've lived in the Carolinas off/on my whole life. I've been right in this area many times as it is the typical college student bar hangout.

This young woman, SJ. went out on a weekend night like hundreds of other students do. It was late, she may have even been a bit tipsy and just assumed that it was her ride. There were still lots of people milling about at that time. There is absolutely NOTHING SJ DID that made her any less of a victim to this predator. She did not look or act like a prostitute, and I resent the implication. She thought he was an Uber driver and got into his car knowing she was getting a responsible ride home.

What this animal did is ON HIM. He took advantage of an opportunity and he chose to murder SJ. There are no excuses for that fact period. There are no actions he took after she mistakenly got into his car that leads me to believe he didn't plan on doing exactly what he did once he drove off with her.

IF he was surprised or startled he could have insisted she get out of his vehicle right then and there. IF she became aware something nefarious was going and started a confrontation to free herself she was doing what any normal young woman would do in that instance. She would have been fighting for her life. He could have left her on the side of the road alive.

No, NR made his choices and now a bright, beautiful and intelligent young woman will never get to graduate this May and is gone forever from her family, friends and this world because of him. Throw the book at him and let him rot behind bars. Peace to her loving family and friends.
JMO
Beautifully said, thank you.
t4518.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads