Found Deceased SC - Samantha Josephson, 21, Columbia, 29 March 2019 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, there are two things that are strange. One is the cause of death. What exactly are “sharp force injuries”? If she was stabbed, just say it. We’ve all heard reports that say “stabbed multiple times with an unknown weapon”. Maybe she wasn’t stabbed exactly, like with a knife, but some weapon that would cause penetrating wounds if you hit someone with it.
The biggest question is why she didn’t call 911 once she realized she was in the wrong car. I have tried to think of scenarios that would prevent her from calling and I am thinking she was rendered unconscious rather quickly.
Here’s a theory to ponder. She is in the backseat, confined to one small part of the backseat because of the child seat. She gets a text from the Uber driver and realizes she is in the wrong car and tells NR he better stop and let her out or she’s calling 911. He has a crowbar or something similar on the seat beside him, grabs it and swings back at her to keep her from doing that. Strikes her one or more times and she is unconscious and bleeding heavily in his backseat. Some point later he goes to get her out of the car. She is awake now and fighting and kicking at him which is how she get wounds to her feet.
Problem with this theory is nothing in the coroners report that we saw mentions being beaten in any way which if you are hit in this manner you should look beaten. So weapon-wise it’s a kinda shaky. I do think however that the reason she didn’t call 911 was because she couldn’t. She had been knocked unconscious in some manner.

Ugh, I feel so bad for them--they seem so sweet. I'm not getting a Ma Frazee or Watts feel from them after watching the longer video. I wonder if they know about his pawn shop charges.

If he did it, he better freaking fess up so they don't mortgage their property to defend him.

I agree. Although it’s hard to top Ma Frazee. That one is a whole other monster entirely.

(And I wholly believe she’s the one who orchestrated that entire murder, imo)

For me, there are two things that are strange. One is the cause of death. What exactly are “sharp force injuries”? If she was stabbed, just say it. We’ve all heard reports that say “stabbed multiple times with an unknown weapon”. Maybe she wasn’t stabbed exactly, like with a knife, but some weapon that would cause penetrating wounds if you hit someone with it.
The biggest question is why she didn’t call 911 once she realized she was in the wrong car. I have tried to think of scenarios that would prevent her from calling and I am thinking she was rendered unconscious rather quickly.
Here’s a theory to ponder. She is in the backseat, confined to one small part of the backseat because of the child seat. She gets a text from the Uber driver and realizes she is in the wrong car and tells NR he better stop and let her out or she’s calling 911. He has a crowbar or something similar on the seat beside him, grabs it and swings back at her to keep her from doing that. Strikes her one or more times and she is unconscious and bleeding heavily in his backseat. Some point later he goes to get her out of the car. She is awake now and fighting and kicking at him which is how she get wounds to her feet.
Problem with this theory is nothing in the coroners report that we saw mentions being beaten in any way which if you are hit in this manner you should look beaten. So weapon-wise it’s a kinda shaky. I do think however that the reason she didn’t call 911 was because she couldn’t. She had been knocked unconscious in some manner.
Not uncommon for the coroner to report "sharp force trauma" that also happened in the Mollie Tibbetts case. I believe it may be that they didn't have the exact weapon determined. ie, box cutter, pick, saw blade. knife JMO

Your theory about her being knocked out/unconscious and unable to call 911 makes perfect sense.

I had the same thoughts with regard to the "sharp force injuries". I have never seen it stated like that. I looked it up and found some pathology training sites, etc. on that. It can cover more than a knife. It also means the wound is not serrated if I recall correctly. It is pointed or a single blade or double edged and more possibilities. This is if I read it right and recall correctly :)

My guess is they needed the charging document and the coroner gave them what is needed to do that. Tests and autopsy will likely continue. It does not mean this is everything. It may also mean they have not matched a weapon to the wounds yet (or found one perhaps).

I also think there may well be bruises, signs of a beating, scratches, etc. That though would not be needed for these first documents, just enough to bring charges. As hard as it is to believe, it has only been a few days. Further testing is ongoing I would bet on it.

All jmo.

That’s one of the big questions about what happened.

She would have received a text from the Uber driver that she had failed to show. Likely within minutes of getting into Rowlands’ vehicle.

What then transpired? How did she not have enough time to hit 911 or call a friend?

As someone upthread posted: Maybe he asked to see the phone, pretending that he was the Uber driver and then kept it didn’t return it.

She must have gone ballistic at that point.

So what happened?
I keep wondering what she did in the first minutes in the car. I haven’t been in an Uber for a while, but I think the first thing I unconsciously do is look for their GPS. I *think* I would notice right away if I didn’t see a map/directions popped up on a screen. But sometimes in my own car, I have my map displayed, even if I’m not using my GPS. Maybe that was the case with this perp.

Also, from riding with various friends, I can tell we all have different degrees of awareness of surroundings. Some hop in a car, and immediately put their nose in their phone...finishing a text, looking at social media etc. Some (many) of my friends immediately start chatting up the driver with friendly banter. I wonder what kind of passenger Samantha usually was. And of course there are other factors...one behaves differently when riding alone, or after drinking etc.

Personally, I think the first thing I start doing is paying attention to how the person is driving. (I’m a terrible backseat driver). And I’m also prone to car sickness, so I would be staring straight ahead, not looking down at my phone.

Like most people, I really wonder what happened in those first few minutes. Was Samantha lost in her phone, and didn’t notice the driver not following directions to her destination? Was she talking to him? Or silent? I just feel like he must have needed to get somewhere less populated before making his attack, but maybe I’m wrong about that?

So many questions. I’m so very sad for this young woman and her family.

Last edited:
“SLED agents wrote that Josephson had “numerous wounds evident on multiple parts of her body to include her head, neck, face, upper body, leg and foot.” It doesn’t say hands and arms which would be more consistent with defensive wounds from sheilding herself. Unless upper body is used in that regard. I can see the legs being maybe the defense part as previously stated.

USC student Samantha Josephson’s cause of death released by officials

He was very angry. Crime of Passion? But her head? Face? And “multiple sharp force injuries”
Doesn’t make me think it was a knife. It makes me think of a screwdriver or piece of glass or something....

This guy reminds me of Jesse Matthew.
Yes, I immediately thought the same thing. Preying in an area where there are intoxicated females walking/waiting alone. Disposing of her body in a more rural area that was familiar to him. Etc.

And after thinking about Jesse Matthews, it makes me wonder two things:
1. Was Nate Rowland ever in the same bar as Samantha that evening?
2. Does he have other victims we are unaware of?

I keep wondering what she did in the first minutes in the car. I haven’t been in an Uber for a while, but I think the first thing I unconsciously do is look for their GPS. I *think* I would notice right away if I didn’t see a map/directions popped up on a screen. But sometimes in my own car, I have my map displayed, even if I’m not using my GPS. Maybe that was the case with this perp.

Also, from riding with various friends, I can tell we all have different degrees of awareness of surroundings. Some hop in a car, and immediately put their nose in their phone...finishing a text, looking at social media etc. Some (many) of my friends immediately start chatting up the driver with friendly banter. I wonder what kind of passenger Samantha usually was. And of course there are other factors...one behaves differently when riding alone, or after drinking etc.

Personally, I think the first thing I start doing is paying attention to is how the person is driving. (I’m a terrible backseat driver). And I’m also prone to car sickness, so I would be staring straight ahead, not looking down at my phone.

Like most people, I really wonder what happened in those first few minutes. Was Samantha lost in her phone, and didn’t notice the driver not following directions to her destination? Was she talking to him? Or silent? I just feel like he must have needed to get somewhere less populated before making his attack, but maybe I’m wrong about that?

So many questions. I’m so very sad for this young woman and her family.

I share so many of these questions.

A key factor to me is if someone else was in the car and I am undecided on the video.

It would change my theories entirely. With a second person, control could be had immediately and total control instantly, holding a gun for instance on her, while the other drove.

She jumped in so easily and quickly, I think she was not alerted at all then anyhow. He backed out so quickly, whether she was a surprise or he pulled in intending to try to pick her up, it seems like he played along at least then, in the first seconds or minutes maybe.

I like you feel he would have to get to somewhere secluded at least somewhat but I guess even in a city if one knows it there are places and that could even include home or some vacant or desolate abandoned area...

For him to drive and control her, I just cannot believe they went far like all of the way close to where he left her body because once she realized they were not going to her destination, he was not her driver, her Uber canceled, etc., she would be upset and he from the driver's seat could not control her actions. I would think he would have to pull over to gain control.

Just thoughts...

HLN

Report: College student killed after getting into a car she mistakenly thought was her Uber died from "multiple sharp force injuries."

Also, Dianne Gallagher reports: Lawmakers are set to introduce the "Samantha Josephson Safety Act" to improve ride-share vehicle markings.

With a homicidal death, the coroner ususally releases very general information about the cause: For example: Gunshot wound, asphyxiation, blunt force trauma, sharp force injuries.

Any of those general categories, of course, could be caused by a several instruments or methods.

Early in the investigation, it is not a good idea to get too specific about the instrument used, and it may not be immediately apparent until further examination is done, and can lead to significant misunderstanding if the wording is taken to be too precise. LE wants to find the weapon and process it in a fashion that will be properly used as evidence.

The coroner has given us enough information to realize it wasnt a gunshot or a strangulation. They are under no obligation to give us any more information until they are certain about the weapon type and method.

As an Uber driver myself, I can see how this would easily happen. The app itself has many issues and malfunctions frequently. Just this past Saturday I had to call customer to find their location, app was just hanging and rerouting continuously. After receiving location (I called) from passenger I used Waze (stand alone) to get me there. She told me that she was having troubles also that day with app and Uber had assigned 8 different drivers for her, this was mid day. Throw in late night, possible drinking, this was very easy to happen.

Wonder why he returned to 5 points? He didn’t live there and wouldn’t it be foolish to return to that part of town?
My guess is this murderous idiot didn't think that her body would be found so soon. It is very fortunate that it was.

I know that he locked the doors using the childproof option. He must have completely caught her off guard because she didn't even have time to call 911. It's incredulous that her phone was actually found in his car.

I just don't understand this kind of senseless violence.

I share so many of these questions.

A key factor to me is if someone else was in the car and I am undecided on the video.

It would change my theories entirely. With a second person, control could be had immediately and total control instantly, holding a gun for instance on her, while the other drove.

She jumped in so easily and quickly, I think she was not alerted at all then anyhow. He backed out so quickly, whether she was a surprise or he pulled in intending to try to pick her up, it seems like he played along at least then, in the first seconds or minutes maybe.

I like you feel he would have to get to somewhere secluded at least somewhat but I guess even in a city if one knows it there are places and that could even include home or some vacant or desolate abandoned area...

For him to drive and control her, I just cannot believe they went far like all of the way close to where he left her body because once she realized they were not going to her destination, he was not her driver, her Uber canceled, etc., she would be upset and he from the driver's seat could not control her actions. I would think he would have to pull over to gain control.

Just thoughts...
Regarding the possibility of someone other than the driver being in the car: I have wondered about this too, simply because it better explains how she could be controlled quickly. Front seat passenger hops out at a light, and jumps into the back seat next to her...

However, since LE doesn’t seem to be indicating they are looking for any additional UNSUBS, I’ve been assuming that they have used very high tech video analysis to confirm there was no one else in the front seat but the driver? I personally can’t tell on the video where Samantha gets in the car, but I’m sure there is plenty of other (more well lit) video surveillance of his car traveling around that time - and I’m assuming it shows he was alone. Or at least I hope so. I hate to think of another perp out there.

I had the same thoughts with regard to the "sharp force injuries". I have never seen it stated like that. I looked it up and found some pathology training sites, etc. on that. It can cover more than a knife. It also means the wound is not serrated if I recall correctly. It is pointed or a single blade or double edged and more possibilities. This is if I read it right and recall correctly :)

My guess is they needed the charging document and the coroner gave them what is needed to do that. Tests and autopsy will likely continue. It does not mean this is everything. It may also mean they have not matched a weapon to the wounds yet (or found one perhaps).

I also think there may well be bruises, signs of a beating, scratches, etc. That though would not be needed for these first documents, just enough to bring charges. As hard as it is to believe, it has only been a few days. Further testing is ongoing I would bet on it.

All jmo.
Wasn’t “sharp force injuries” reported in Mollie Tibbett’s autopsy? I’ll have to look back. But I seem to remember something along those lines, as we were trying to figure out what kind of weapon was used.

ETA: Yes, Mollie also died from sharp force injuries. :(
UPDATE WITH SERVICE INFO: Autopsy finds Mollie Tibbetts died of sharp force injuries

Last edited:
As an Uber driver myself, I can see how this would easily happen. The app itself has many issues and malfunctions frequently. Just this past Saturday I had to call customer to find their location, app was just hanging and rerouting continuously. After receiving location (I called) from passenger I used Waze (stand alone) to get me there. She told me that she was having troubles also that day with app and Uber had assigned 8 different drivers for her, this was mid day. Throw in late night, possible drinking, this was very easy to happen.

Very scary. Tysm for your insight.
IMO, drivers are as vulnerable as passengers. Be safe.

I have seen the app hang from the passenger side of things too. Drivers who cannot find the location with GPS and more.

You drive for Uber? Be nice to have your input here on this case, even though Uber was not responsible, I do wonder if she had been waiting awhile, already thought one Uber was her car, etc. and was just relieved to see the car she did get into and thinking it had finally arrived by that point...

Yes, I had thought about this complicating the scenario. Ie. He could have said his app/gps was malfunctioning and asked her to tell him again where she was headed. In other words, he could have explained away why he did not have her destination ready to go. And since you say the app has been known to malfunction, this could be believable to a rider. Ugh.

Regarding the possibility of someone other than the driver being in the car: I have wondered about this too, simply because it better explains how she could be controlled quickly. Front seat passenger hops out at a light, and jumps into the back seat next to her...

However, since LE doesn’t seem to be indicating they are looking for any additional UNSUBS, I’ve been assuming that they have used very high tech video analysis to confirm there was no one else in the front seat but the driver? I personally can’t tell on the video where Samantha gets in the car, but I’m sure there is plenty of other (more well lit) video surveillance of his car traveling around that time - and I’m assuming it shows he was alone. Or at least I hope so. I hate to think of another perp out there.

I am thinking more on the lines of if there was one, it was possibly the woman he was with the next night. They would not have to look for another unsub there as she was already said to be "cooperating".

Although I have not entirely ruled out another male either, but I lean towards the woman.

I also think it is possible, just possible someone may have alerted him to a woman waiting for an Uber, saw her order one himself inside a pub and things along those lines...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member