GUILTY SC - Samantha Josephson, 21, Columbia, thought she was getting into Uber, 29 Mar 2019 *Arrest* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I ran a few errands today and while in my car that is much smaller than the car in question here, I glanced toward my right side passenger seat and tried to imagine trying to control or harm a person sitting there while driving. I am at least this perp's height and in no way could I control a passenger sitting there. As for harming, maybe I could reach the legs without totally crashing the car but again, it would not be easy.

It doesn't mean much just saying... And my two seats would be much closer together than I believe this Chevy's would be.

He had to have pulled over somewhere imo.

Not if he admonished her to sit still with some kind of weapon... she may not have fought back in the car for fear of not just the weapon but of the driver losing control of the vehicle as well.

I have exceeded the number of allowed views at this site. Can anyone access this article and copy the main points here? TIA
Get Access

ETA: If the link doesn't work, the headline is "What's next for Nathaniel Roland, suspect in killing of UofSC student..." by The Greenville News. :)

I have exceeded the number of allowed views at this site. Can anyone access this article and copy the main points here? TIA
Get Access

ETA: If the link doesn't work, the headline is "What's next for Nathaniel Roland, suspect in killing of UofSC student..." by The Greenville News. :)

This is a very long article with lots of details about how the legal system works, so I'm just getting the highlights here.

For Rowland's case, Tammie Fields, special assistant to the solicitor, said her office doesn't have any information on next court dates.

Rowland is being represented by the Richland County Public Defender's Office and messages left with that office this week inquiring for more information on the case were not returned.

Online court records show that Rowland will have his preliminary hearing on May 9.

In Richland County, these hearings are held at the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center, where Rowland is being held, Leonard said. A magistrate judge at the jail will preside as the arresting officer in the case testifies what the probable cause for his arrest was, he said.

The defense is allowed to cross examine that officer, but not allowed to present evidence of their own, he said. The magistrate will then determine whether there was sufficient probable cause for the defendant's arrest, which is a relatively low standard to meet, Leonard said.

Every step of the way in the case, the victim's family will be notified and have the opportunity to appear in court, under the victim's bill of rights in the state constitution, he said.

A typical murder trial in Richland County doesn't start until about 2½ years after a defendant's arrest
, Leonard said.

If the prosecution seeks the death penalty, it could be even longer, he said.

"There's no telling," Leonard said.

Bolding is mine.

@PommyMommy , if you clear your internet cache, you may be able to view the article. I was. :)

This is a very long article with lots of details about how the legal system works, so I'm just getting the highlights here.

Bolding is mine.

@PommyMommy , if you clear your internet cache, you may be able to view the article. I was. :)
Thank you so much, KatzEye! (Yes I tried that - usually works, but not this time.) :( MOO

I again have to say that the Uber drivers I've been using lately have been much, much more cognizant of who they are picking up. I've had a discussion with all of the drivers about Sammi and heard some pretty crazy stories of some of the situations the drivers have found themselves in as well.

Sammi brought change to ride sharing and I hope the Josephson family takes some comfort in knowing that.

I can remember my first impression of Miss Josephson's entering the fated black Chevy. I knew almost nothing about the case at that time. It struck me how readily and eagerly she approached and then entered the vehicle.

What I saw was a moment of opportunity for the driver of that vehicle, regardless of that driver's original intention. This was a freak moment, given all the circumstances. There is no way to protect against that. MOO

It's inherently dangerous turf, this ride sharing and taxi taking. The odds are in your favor, but they are never 100 percent.

I again have to say that the Uber drivers I've been using lately have been much, much more cognizant of who they are picking up. I've had a discussion with all of the drivers about Sammi and heard some pretty crazy stories of some of the situations the drivers have found themselves in as well.

Sammi brought change to ride sharing and I hope the Josephson family takes some comfort in knowing that.
Had to take 4 Ubers in a row quickly Friday night in NC, & noted all 4 had all windows halfway down; made me wonder if they'd been instructed to do that to keep folks from feeling "trapped" once seated, after this case? One driver brought up the case randomly as well, as we discussed Ubering vs past taxi experiences.

APR 29, 2019
New charge filed in kidnapping, killing of USC student Samantha Josephson
Investigators have filed a new criminal charge against the man accused of kidnapping and killing a University of South Carolina student last month.

[...]

Rowland now faces a charge of possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime, according to Richland County court records. A grand jury indicted Rowland on the newest charge April 16.

The indictment says Rowland did “possess or visibly display a knife, during the commission or attempted commission of a violent crime” on or around March 29, according to the court document.

[...]

The charge carries up to five years in prison, under South Carolina law.

[...]

Well this is interesting.
Nathaniel Rowland linked to a 2018 kidnapping and burglary.
Records: Man charged in Samantha Josephson death linked to 2018 kidnapping, burglary

If indeed NR is involved in this crime, it would demonstrate how he willfully imposed a traumatic experience on another person, especially a woman. I imagine the victim was distraught, yet he very calmly executed his plan without hesitation. This shows that he may in fact be "capable" of the crime, despite pleas from family members and others who knew him. However, it is my understanding that no charges were filed because the victim could not identify NR, even though she believes he could have been the driver. The fact that he was charged with "obtaining goods under false pretenses" in connection with this crime means that he was proven to be in possession of the stolen goods after the fact, yet they cannot prove that he was the one that committed the actual robbery/kidnapping.

The method in which the crime was carried out does raise the question of a second perp... however I would think that if there was another person in the car when it pulled up to the curb at Five Points, then SJ would not have assumed it was an uber. Although there is ridesharing options, I would think that the presence of another person in the car would not give off the impression of it being an uber upon first glance, which is the premise in this case.

They could have of course picked up another person to help with the kidnapping, but the chance of SJ escaping/alerting others during a stop would probably be too risky.

Chances are he has pulled up to Five Points before, and a young woman has ALMOST gotten into his vehicle thinking it was an uber and he thought to himself, "could it be this easy?" The thought continued to prey on his mind until he could not keep it at bay any longer and he had to see for himself...

Afterthought

Wasn't there blood found in the front passenger area? There is really no conceivable scenario in which she would have ridden in the front seat, bloody. So, that blood came from the backseat killer, who rode shotgun on the way to the dumping spot.

VERY GOOD point. I don't think there is any specifics about where exactly inside the vehicle the blood was found.

The LE comment was that "blood was found in the passenger area"

We here on WS have hashed and re-hashed this comment.

My interpretation (MOO) is that any of the interior of the vehicle is the "passenger area". As opposed to under the hood, in the trunk, on the outside of the vehicle.

I do not believe ( MOO) that it specifically means the front passenger seat. I believe it is only a general area comment and could even cover the driver' seat as well as the front passenger seat and the back seat and floors, as well as the dashboard and rear window ledge. Perhaps they should have used the term "interior". Personally (MOO) I believe it was in the back seat and almost certainly on the driver's seat as he got back in the vehicle with bloody clothes on. ( assuming he didn't remove his bloody clothing and drive unclothed to a local home to clean up and change clothes) - but again, this last bit is speculation on my part, too.

I do not believe ( MOO) that it means there was someone sitting in the front passenger seat with blood on them, therefore there was a third person involved.

I think we have to be very careful not to over-interpret what LE is just only going to outline for us. Perhaps at the court hearing on April 22 we will be given more specific information.

NICE JOB SLEUTHERS

Preliminary hearing for Nathaniel Rowland canceled

Once again, Rowland's appearance has been postponed. This was to be a "probable cause" hearing, where State only has to show there was a crime committed, and the defendant probably committed it. The State may have evidence at this point which complicates Rowland's involvement, i.e., exculpatory evidence. MOO

May 11, 2019
Samantha Josephson: University of South Carolina awards her posthumous degree - CNN
The University of South Carolina on Saturday presented a posthumous degree to the parents of Samantha Josephson, a USC student who was found dead after getting into a car she thought was her rideshare.

[...]

MAY 12, 2019
College awards student who died after getting into wrong car with posthumous degree
[...]

Josephson's parents were in attendance Saturday at the commencement ceremony at the Colonial Life Arena in Columbia, where an empty seat was draped with a cap and gown in Josephson's honor, according to ABC Charlotte, North Carolina, affiliate WSOC. There, University of South Carolina President Harris Pastide presented Josephson with a degree in political science.

[...]

MAY 13, 2019
Student killed after getting into car she thought was Uber honored with degree - Video
[...]

During the University of South Carolina’s commencement ceremony Saturday, USC President Harris Pastides set aside time to speak about Josephson.
samantha-josephson-posthumous-degree-today-inline-190513_6be1009942ba7c447334618e546d1570.fit-760w.jpg

An empty chair in Samantha Josephson's honor was set up at the University of South Carolina's graduation.Gavin McIntyre / gmcintyre@thestate.com

“I’d like to take a moment to recognize and honor the life and legacy of Samantha Josephson, our cherished 21-year-old senior political science major whose life was tragically taken from us in March,” he said in a video that was posted on The State.

[...]

May 11, 2019
Samantha Josephson: University of South Carolina awards her posthumous degree - CNN
The University of South Carolina on Saturday presented a posthumous degree to the parents of Samantha Josephson, a USC student who was found dead after getting into a car she thought was her rideshare.

[...]

MAY 12, 2019
College awards student who died after getting into wrong car with posthumous degree
[...]

Josephson's parents were in attendance Saturday at the commencement ceremony at the Colonial Life Arena in Columbia, where an empty seat was draped with a cap and gown in Josephson's honor, according to ABC Charlotte, North Carolina, affiliate WSOC. There, University of South Carolina President Harris Pastide presented Josephson with a degree in political science.

[...]

MAY 13, 2019
Student killed after getting into car she thought was Uber honored with degree - Video
[...]

During the University of South Carolina’s commencement ceremony Saturday, USC President Harris Pastides set aside time to speak about Josephson.
samantha-josephson-posthumous-degree-today-inline-190513_6be1009942ba7c447334618e546d1570.fit-760w.jpg

An empty chair in Samantha Josephson's honor was set up at the University of South Carolina's graduation.Gavin McIntyre / gmcintyre@thestate.com

“I’d like to take a moment to recognize and honor the life and legacy of Samantha Josephson, our cherished 21-year-old senior political science major whose life was tragically taken from us in March,” he said in a video that was posted on The State.

[...]
Heartbreaking...:(

Rowland says, "That wasn't me," according to his family. What we don't know at this point is whether this means "Not I" as in it was some other person, or "Not I" as in "No, that couldn't have been me, I could never do something like that..."

Just checking for updates.

So the preliminary was canceled and if I understand it correctly it is because the grand jury indictment takes the place of that?

Any idea of what next or when?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NurseInvestigator
Back