GUILTY SC - Samantha Josephson, 21, Columbia, thought she was getting into Uber, 29 Mar 2019 *Arrest* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Maybe I'm confused here.........o_O
Samantha is the only victim here. Why are we trying to explain or blame anyone or anything other than NR for Samantha's murder?

It's the state's fault that NR, having chosen to participate in a previous robbery, but because it might have been his 1st offense and the victim was unwilling to testify, his sentence was reduced and he was free to roam the streets to do it again?

And, if Samantha hadn't mistakenly gotten into his car to begin with none of this wouldn't have happened. She put the idea of assault and robbery into his head by jumping into the wrong car?

And because she did, it was somehow Samantha's fault that he drove off with her in his (parent's) car instead of asking her to get out??

But hey, it's okay to then attempt to assault/rob or whatever he did and when she became frantic and kicked, punched, beat at whatever him or his prized car she could in defense of her life SR angered NR to a point that forced him to escalate to murder??? Hardly.

NR was out late at night cruising a well known college party area. He noticed SR standing at a very public ride share spot, a young woman who was alone and vulnerable and HE MADE THE CHOICE to pull in, let her in the car, and drive off with her. At some point driving approx. 65 miles away from that location he assaulted, murdered and dumped her body in an obscure field close to where he used to live. The state, the previous victim, Samantha nor anyone else is responsible for the choices NR made that night. He will now face the consequences of those choices. Thankfully.

IMO

I am not taking the impression that any of the posts that I have read are implying that anyone other than NR is to blame. I think people are just trying to understand the crime, start to finish.

I think several people speculated earlier in the thread after seeing reports of injuries to the victim. Since the car was said to have child locks, it was thought she may have put up a fight to escape, in turn, damaging the interior. I believe it is all theories.

I agree—I think it’s all theories. But I think we’re stretching the chain of theories too far when we speculate that:

1: She put up a fight to escape (no evidence)
2: That fight damaged his car(no evidence)
3: He was upset by this
4: So he killed her, stabbing her multiple times and REALLY messing up his car

That seems to me to really be going out on a limb, especially since we seem to know that he is not a stranger to the idea of kidnapping....

Edited to fix typo

Last edited:
Can anyone give a summary? Can’t watch videos right now...
In regard to the second video:

Parents of slain college student Samantha Josephson speak out on ride-sharing safety
The parents of a University of South Carolina student who mistook her alleged killer's car for an Uber spoke out Monday to recommend changes in the ride-sharing industry so no one else will have to endure the profound grief they are experiencing.

"We've heard from strangers all over the country and so many people have told us it could have been our daughter, our son, ourselves," Marci Josephson, whose daughter, Samantha, was killed last month, told ABC News' George Stephanopoulos on "Good Morning America."

[...]

While Seymour Josephson said the proposed law is a "great start," he wants to see more, including requiring ride-sharing operators to have license plates on the front of their cars. South Carolina is one of 19 states that don't require license plates on the front of cars.

"When the car is pulling up, you can't see the front license plate," the father said.

He also wants ride-sharing companies to place bar codes on the passenger and driver's side of vehicles.

"You put your phone up to it and if turns green, that's my ride. If it's not your ride, it turns red," he said. "The technology is already out there. It's a very easy way to implement safety for the consumer as well as the driver."

@Tranquileyes “As others have speculated, NR could have become angry at SJ damaging the car and proceeded to commit murder”

As far as I know, we don’t have any reason to think that SJ was damaging the car. (Except for messing it up with her blood, of course. /sarcasm warning.)

Seriously, has there been any evidence of anything like that?

Everything here is theories as no one knows what happened and at what time in the car or out of it or for that matter where it went and where it stopped (other than possibly LE). One theory is no worse than another and if anything, one would expect her to be trying to escape once she knew he was not her driver and found the doors locked. Just how is it she would try to escape when she cannot unlock the doors nor open windows?

Once she received a message about her Uber canceled/leaving, she probably had to know he was not her driver, if she did not even realize it sooner. I think it is harder to believe she was not frantic than that she was and doing everything she could to escape. There is not one thing far fetched about it. He either had her under control quickly somehow, she did nothing once she knew he was not her ride or she was trying to escape in any way possible.

No one blamed her and no one thinks that--he is the only person to blame here (unless at any point there was anyone else involved or who knew then they would be as well).

I have seen some pretty out there theories in my opinion, however, I do not say that to anyone; each is entitled to their own, unless they are victim blaming and no one was doing that.

@Tranquileyes “As others have speculated, NR could have become angry at SJ damaging the car and proceeded to commit murder”

As far as I know, we don’t have any reason to think that SJ was damaging the car. (Except for messing it up with her blood, of course. /sarcasm warning.)

Seriously, has there been any evidence of anything like that?

My post clearly says speculation and MOO. Never did I refer to evidence. Seems you have missed the point of my post which was to speculate on his motive being to rob which escalated into something more. Have a good evening. :)

Everything here is theories as no one knows what happened and at what time in the car or out of it or for that matter where it went and where it stopped (other than possibly LE). One theory is no worse than another and if anything, one would expect her to be trying to escape once she knew he was not her driver and found the doors locked. Just how is it she would try to escape when she cannot unlock the doors nor open windows?

Once she received a message about her Uber canceled/leaving, she probably had to know he was not her driver, if she did not even realize it sooner. I think it is harder to believe she was not frantic than that she was and doing everything she could to escape. There is not one thing far fetched about it. He either had her under control quickly somehow, she did nothing once she knew he was not her ride or she was trying to escape in any way possible.

No one blamed her and no one thinks that--he is the only person to blame here (unless at any point there was anyone else involved or who knew then they would be as well).

I have seen some pretty out there theories in my opinion, however, I do not say that to anyone; each is entitled to their own, unless they are victim blaming and no one was doing that.

Thanks. Just putting my two cents out there on how I think things came together that evening/early morning.

Thanks. Just putting my two cents out there on how I think things came together that evening/early morning.

You are welcome. I also speculated a theory that was said was going too far, that she was possibly trying to escape and trying to basically break a window or do what she could. Glad to say it for both of us. I don't diss people's theories and all we really have here is theories of what all transpired.

Can anyone give a summary? Can’t watch videos right now...

Summary: nothing new.

I believe NR was a "sociopath in training", as killer Natalie Keepers once referred to herself. His trainer is the one who murdered Samantha Josephson.

With respect to NR participating in a "previous robbery", I disagree with that description. He participated in a previous kidnapping and robbery. If you imagine yourself the victim of one an then the other, I believe it will be clear that kidnapping is a terrorist act, and the actor can only be a terrorist. NR did not do the kidnapping, but he benefited from it and knew all about it. That is why I am saying NR should have been more severely scrutinized by police in the prior incident. I have not said and never would say that NR is not responsible for his own acts.

Family of Samantha Josephson create website to address ride-sharing safety
[...]

The website is called "What’s My Name?" and provides safety tips when using ride-sharing services, specifically asking a driver “What’s my name?’ before getting in an Uber.

The family also wants Uber riders to use the acronym S.A.M.I, which stands for Stop, Ask, Match and Inform.

Columbia Mayor Steve Benjamin also released his own recommendations for ride-sharing safety. One of those recommendations is that the car have a decal approved by the City of Columbia that proves the car is safe and registered by the City.

[...]

Murder of USC student unsettles Clarendon community
An eerie quiet settled over this rural Clarendon County hamlet just days after the body of a slain University of South Carolina student was found amid tangled brush down a winding dirt road.

[...]

“Shock. Nothing but shock … it seems like it might be getting close to time that we realize that God might be coming back,” said Benton Blakely, a Clarendon County councilman.

Blakely has lived in Clarendon County his whole life, about a mile from where the body was found, 73 years of friendly neighbors, great people and a quiet town.

[...]

New Zion and the surrounding county is divided concerning Rowland’s innocence or guilt.

In interviews, Rowlands parents say they believe their son is innocent and that someone stole his car and committed the murder. A church in the area is fundraising for Rowland and a was created for Rowland to afford better lawyers. The has since been shut down.

Family members who live near Black Bottom Road said they still have hope that Rowland is innocent, and have received death threats for vocalizing their desire to help prove his innocence.

[...]

Some of those who live in New Zion just hope this tragedy will be over soon. Law enforcement wouldn’t comment further on the status of the investigation.

Someone started a ~website whose name cannot be said here~ for this guy???? Glad to see it was shut down. Anyways, just coming by to catch up work's been crazy so I haven't been on in a while. Things are really slowing down here. I guess we don't have much to discuss until the trial? Took a while but finally found it- April 22nd, Monday. Any thoughts on what we can expect? I wonder what new information we'll hear, if any? I'm a little confused on the live streaming laws in SC, does any one know if there will be video coverage from inside the courthouse?
Just a general PSA, I wanted to throw this in here for women who may feel more comfortable knowing their driver will be female- I know, men aren't the problem here, it's evil monsters that are the problem- but some may just feel a little more comfortable being able to enter a "gender preference" for a driver or a rider. If I was a DRIVER this is the only service I would use honestly. Also this company has already implemented the "colors" system that we've discussed here. It looks like they aren't in a ton of cities yet, but they seem to be expanding (found an instagram post from December that says they're in Orlando, DC, Dallas, Boston, San Fran and LA). Worth checking out
About Safr

Yes, although we have very little information as to what exactly happened it is certainly not unreasonable to speculate that the killer may have been motivated by some trigger, such as anger.
In Mollie Tibbett's case, the killer said he became angered when she told him to leave her alone and threatened to call police.
I think it's more than likely that Samantha fought back, considering the multiple cuts on her arms and legs, and this could have caused him to become angry. From the way it sounds he may have been in some sort of frenzy when he attacked her. She had sharp wounds all over her body, including her face and neck.
Also I would fully expect her to have been assertive and making attempts to get out of the situation even before he started the attack. She had to have known something was wrong and that she could be in serious danger. I doubt she would have been passive and calm, hoping for the best. Both had to have their adrenaline going pretty strong, hers in fear, his in anger or maybe even excitement.
Fighting back is a natural reaction and in no way implies blame. No-one deserves to be killed for fighting for their lives. Imo

My post clearly says speculation and MOO. Never did I refer to evidence. Seems you have missed the point of my post which was to speculate on his motive being to rob which escalated into something more. Have a good evening. :)
That does not sound unreasonable to me. He also could have been sexually motivated and that escalated to murder.
And I do actually thinks there is evidence that indicates that she put up quite a struggle and fought back. That could have made him angry. Multiple cuts on the arms and legs are often defence wounds. Cuts on the arms often result when the victim holds their arms up in front of them to protect the face and head, which he apparently aimed for since she also had cuts on her face and neck. Imo

Yes, although we have very little information as to what exactly happened it is certainly not unreasonable to speculate that the killer may have been motivated by some trigger, such as anger.
In Mollie Tibbett's case, the killer said he became angered when she told him to leave her alone and threatened to call police.
I think it's more than likely that Samantha fought back, considering the multiple cuts on her arms and legs, and this could have caused him to become angry. From the way it sounds he may have been in some sort of frenzy when he attacked her. She had sharp wounds all over her body, including her face and neck.
Also I would fully expect her to have been assertive and making attempts to get out of the situation even before he started the attack. She had to have known something was wrong and that she could be in serious danger. I doubt she would have been passive and calm, hoping for the best. Both had to have their adrenaline going pretty strong, hers in fear, his in anger or maybe even excitement.
Fighting back is a natural reaction and in no way implies blame. No-one deserves to be killed for fighting for their lives. Imo

All very well said. I agree. I picture her doing everything she can to get out of the car and the situation as very likely.

From my understanding, the mugshot is not a current mugshot. That is the mugshot from the previous charge. (The PS4 charge, obtaining goods under false pretenses) If you pull up his current charges there is no current mugshot.
I read the same thing, not long after it happened. That mugshot is his previous one , not the most current one.

APR 18, 2019
Uber unveils new safety measures in wake of college student's murder
Spurred by the killing of a South Carolina college student, Uber is rolling out new features it says will keep riders safe.

In an exclusive interview with NBC News, Tony West, Uber's chief legal and security officer, said the company's app will push out an alert for riders to check the license plate, make and model of the vehicle — as well as the name and picture of the driver — to confirm it's the correct person picking them up. West said the Uber app will also prominently display new safety notifications.

[...]

"We are heartbroken about what has happened,'' West told NBC News in an interview that aired Thursday on TODAY. "For us, it's a reminder that we have to constantly do everything we can to raise the bar on safety."

[...]

Uber's response to Samantha Josephson's death has been to create a new alert system that will begin rolling out in South Carolina on Thursday, and then across the rest of its user base in the coming days.

"In the app, when you've ordered your Uber, when it's on the way, you will get more persistent, more frequent notifications, push notifications, to your phone that remind you to check your ride,'' West said.

[...]

The company says it also will be working with universities nationwide to develop dedicated pick-up zones on and off campus and a ride voucher program to provide subsidized rides for students at times when other ways home are limited or unavailable.

[...]

Will we learning anything from the April 22 bond hearing? Maybe. The State will be asking the judge for no bond, and the defense will be asking for a reasonable bond that is within the defendant's means to post.

The State will make three basic arguments: (1) that NR is a danger to the community (2) that the State has a compelling case against him, and (3) that he is likely to flee if released. For our purpose, the State's case on number 2 may reveal new facts about the crime. The State will be telling the judge what their evidence is, in order to show they have a compelling case.

Some have referred to this as his trial date. That is misleading. Although the State will describe what it contends will be its evidence at trial, no evidence will actually be presented.

On issue number 3, I would think the State might present the fact that the defendant fled from police when stopped for questioning about his shiny black Impala.

If NR had been convicted of a felony a mere five months prior, he was on some type of probation, even if not supervised. The fact that there is evidence he committed this new crime while already on probation for a previous crime will be the State's final blow to any hope NR may have for a bond he could ever post, if a bond at all.

Will we learning anything from the April 22 bond hearing? Maybe. The State will be asking the judge for no bond, and the defense will be asking for a reasonable bond that is within the defendant's means to post.

The State will make three basic arguments: (1) that NR is a danger to the community (2) that the State has a compelling case against him, and (3) that he is likely to flee if released. For our purpose, the State's case on number 2 may reveal new facts about the crime. The State will be telling the judge what their evidence is, in order to show they have a compelling case.

Some have referred to this as his trial date. That is misleading. Although the State will describe what it contends will be its evidence at trial, no evidence will actually be presented.

On issue number 3, I would think the State might present the fact that the defendant fled from police when stopped for questioning about his shiny black Impala.

If NR had been convicted of a felony a mere five months prior, he was on some type of probation, even if not supervised. The fact that there is evidence he committed this new crime while already on probation for a previous crime will be the State's final blow to any hope NR may have for a bond he could ever post, if a bond at all.
I think NR is going to be a guest of the state of SC for a very, very long time. As you've so succinctly outlined, he checks all of the boxes on No Bond Happening Here Folks IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Justice77
Back