GUILTY SC - Samantha Josephson, 21, Columbia, thought she was getting into Uber, 29 Mar 2019 *Arrest* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
APR 7, 2019
Jersey City hopes to make it mandatory for rideshare vehicles to have 'identifying signage' after Samantha Josephson's death - CNN
Jersey City may soon become the first city in New Jersey to mandate rideshare vehicles have illuminated, identifiable signs for passengers, according to a news release from the mayor's office.

Mayor Steven Fulop announced a proposed ordinance Friday, according to the release. The ordinance comes after the death of University of South Carolina student and New Jersey native Samantha Josephson, who was kidnapped and killed when she mistakenly got into a vehicle she thought was her Uber ride.
The purpose of the ordinance is to alert riders and prevent another incident like Josephson's murder, the release said. The ordinance will be introduced at the April 10 Jersey City Council Meeting.

[...]

...and if someone, with ill intent, buys one of these signs online, because you know they will be available, regardless of whether they are supposedly only available through Uber, or if someone steals a sign from a real Uber driver's car, I think it is perhaps even MORE likely that someone would step into a vehicle, thinking it is his/her Uber ride. This will not be a popular opinion, but I believe this proposed law is basically a knee-jerk reaction that sounds good, but solves nothing. There is no way to say this without appearing to be victim-blaming, and I absolutely am not doing that...but if proper precautions are taken, i.e., checking make and model of car, as well as license plate number, ALL information that is sent to someone requesting an Uber, you at least know that you are getting into a legitimate Uber vehicle that is there to pick you up. JMO

Last edited:
One good thing coming out of this horror is that perhaps the next Uber/Lyft/Cab passenger will be wiser and get to her/his destination alive and well. And it can only benefit the drivers, as well.

Let’s try this devils advocate thing.

This is completely hearsay, assumption, & accusations..

What if... There is a connection between NR & SJ. What if there was a jealous girlfriend. NR passed out at that party as his parents claim & the jealous girlfriend took his phone. The girlfriend & a friend were texting SJ. Messing with her. The jealous girlfriend offered to pick SJ up. Mind you this girlfriend has NR phone. This girlfriend was picked up with NR the following night. NR had previously shared many of this girlfriends FB posts. Could this jealous girlfriend have posted on his FB that night? Was there really an Uber? (From my understanding the reporters get their information from News conferences & it was stated LE BELIEVED SJ summoned an Uber. However, they also stated this was NOT fact but merely based on the surveillance footage. Seems odd he made a point to say that.) Let’s say, this girlfriend + friend went & picked up SJ. (If SJ & NR did know each other maybe that was why she instantly jumped in the car. If you pay attention to the footage the car isn’t even stopped when she try’s to gets in. She has to pull twice on the handle.) Things could of turned ugly. Who knows. I would assume the jealous girlfriend + the friend could have been familiar with New Zion (where her body was found). Everyone seems to believe the car was covered in blood. Again, if you listen to the news conference they state “it was found in the trunk, passenger compartment... the phone was found in the passenger compartment as well.” So really no one but LE know the amount & where exactly the blood was found. So the next day, NR wakes up & finds his keys in the car.. What if this car had black leather seats. I don’t search my car when I get in, do you? I mean come on who drives around with blood & a murdered girl phone knowingly? Could he have just been that dumb, sure! Okay so then he is pulled over.. Why stop if your intent is to run? I’m sure he would of got much further by car. So he stops. He is asked to step out of the car. Did he run because of the prior charges? Did he run because he had marijuana? Could he just of been scared? All I know is in the interview with his parents they stated, he saw the blood. Why be truthful, unless you truly didn’t realize someone was murdered. Then we get to him being pulled over blocks away (stated in the News Conference) Does that mean he was out targeting another girl? From what I have heard, completely hearsay, NR was staying in Rosewood. That is also where her phone was last tracked (it is on the missing flyers so I would assume friends & the boyfriend believed it was a precise location). Therefore, could he of been in that area because that’s where he was staying.. From my understanding Roswood is blocks from 5 points. (Again, I could be wrong) Another question.. Normally when a body is found (mind you, in the middle of the day) it is then canvased off & searched. Why? To collect any evidence, find a murder weapon, & so no one can remove evidence from the scene. Why wait days to go back? Seems odd. (Especially odd that it was the following day after the parents made a statement) Personally I think it’s 1 of 2 things. 1- Someone came forward with information. 2- They need more evidence.

There are so many questions. We have wayyyy more assumptions vs. actual facts. Is LE saving them for trial? I hope so! Because we have no valid ID of him driving this vehicle (Until someone can provide me with valid evidence- he has not been ID’d driving the car.) I could bet if there was a valid ID it would have been released. All of social media. I don’t think that is being saved for trial. (I could be wrong) DNA? I couldn’t imagine not. Could someone of had his phone? Did someone else post on his FB?

No one TRULY knows! All I do know with the information that LE has released to the public - I would say for me personally it raises reasonable doubt. We shall wait & see.

Last edited:
when i was a student at LSU, in baton rouge, LA., 2 undercover cops showed up at my house and arrested me, walked me out in handcuffs, for an outstanding parking ticket. luckily, my college bf was there and followed us in his car to the police station, where i was put in a cell with a woman who had stabbed a 9 year old in the head with a pencil for about 4 hours. i was 19 years old. it's the south, like SC is the south. not everything is done "above the table," either, and to this day i have no idea why i was arrested by not 1, but 2 undercover cops (in an undercover car). if he thought he could be arrested, that could be very scary, especially for a young black male. (not excusing him, just giving an example of shady stuff that happens in the south, and probably all over the USA).

(this was in the 90s, but still. it was terrifying.)

I am glad you said this. I was thinking it...but I'd already ignited enough of a firestorm with my "Law & Order SVU episode" of how he might actually be innocent. But yes, as I alluded to in one post, he might have been terrified, with or without warrants, to call the police upon finding blood in his car. It's not a good look, whether you did it or not, and surely he'd be arrested. And if I were a young black man in South Carolina, I'd be even more afraid. All you need to know is the racist vitriol on his Facebook page and the pages of his friends and family. It's frightening! While the police/prosecution don't go out of their way to find exculpatory information once they think they have their guy...if they did find some...and released him...I would hope they'd give him and his family at least 24 hours notice to get a running start, because I really do think they would be lynched regardless.

The posts on his Facebook page are scary. I reported the profile page and individual posts to FB. This man IMO would be in danger if he gets bond and is released. I want justice for this girl but I want it done right. If he has done the crime lock him away for good. However let's make sure all evidence is taken into consideration. MOO

What if... There is a connection between NR & SJ. What if there was a jealous girlfriend. NR passed out at that party as his parents claim & the jealous girlfriend took his phone. The girlfriend & a friend were texting SJ. Messing with her. The jealous girlfriend offered to pick SJ up. Mind you this girlfriend has NR phone. This girlfriend was picked up with NR the following night. NR had previously shared many of this girlfriends FB posts. Could this jealous girlfriend have posted on his FB that night? Was there really an Uber? (From my understanding the reporters get their information from News conferences & it was stated LE BELIEVED SJ summoned an Uber. However, they also stated this was NOT fact but merely based on the surveillance footage. Seems odd he made a point to say that.) Let’s say, this girlfriend + friend went & picked up SJ. (If SJ & NR did know each other maybe that was why she instantly jumped in the car. If you pay attention to the footage the car isn’t even stopped when she try’s to gets in. She has to pull twice on the handle.) Things could of turned ugly. Who knows. I would assume the jealous girlfriend + the friend could have been familiar with New Zion (where her body was found). Everyone seems to believe the car was covered in blood. Again, if you listen to the news conference they state “it was found in the trunk, passenger compartment... the phone was found in the passenger compartment as well.” So really no one but LE know the amount & where exactly the blood was found. So the next day, NR wakes up & finds his keys in the car.. What if this car had black leather seats. I don’t search my car when I get in, do you? I mean come on who drives around with blood & a murdered girl phone knowingly? Could he have just been that dumb, sure! Okay so then he is pulled over.. Why stop if your intent is to run? I’m sure he would of got much further by car. So he stops. He is asked to step out of the car. Did he run because of the prior charges? Did he run because he had marijuana? Could he just of been scared? All I know is in the interview with his parents they stated, he saw the blood. Why be truthful, unless you truly didn’t realize someone was murdered. Then we get to him being pulled over blocks away (stated in the News Conference) Does that mean he was out targeting another girl? From what I have heard, completely hearsay, NR was staying in Rosewood. That is also where her phone was last tracked (it is on the missing flyers so I would assume friends & the boyfriend believed it was a precise location). Therefore, could he of been in that area because that’s where he was staying.. From my understanding Roswood is blocks from 5 points. (Again, I could be wrong) Another question.. Normally when a body is found (mind you, in the middle of the day) it is then canvased off & searched. Why? To collect any evidence, find a murder weapon, & so no one can remove evidence from the scene. Why wait days to go back? Seems odd. (Especially odd that it was the following day after the parents made a statement) Personally I think it’s 1 of 2 things. 1- Someone came forward with information. 2- They need more evidence.

There are so many questions. We have wayyyy more assumptions vs. actual facts. Is LE saving them for trial? I hope so! Because we have no valid ID of him driving this vehicle (Until someone can provide me with valid evidence- he has not been ID’d driving the car.) I could bet if there was a valid ID it would have been released. All of social media. I don’t think that is being saved for trial. (I could be wrong) DNA? I couldn’t imagine not. Could someone of had his phone? Did someone else post on his FB?

No one TRULY knows! All I do know with the information that LE has released to the public - I would say for me personally it raises reasonable doubt. We shall wait & see.

I would have snipped this, but after all these years, I still do not know how to. Just want to say that the idea that these two had some sort of relationship seems preposterous to me. They were on completely opposite paths. She was law school-bound and he was a dropout or flunk out (we really do not know which). There is absolutely nothing, other than a perhaps some random suggestion on some social media page, that they had ever met, much less had a a relationship. Also, as to blood he may not have seen, his car had a tan interior, not black. Would be almost impossible not to notice a lot of blood, imo. As to needing more evidence, LE isn't going to tell everything they have at this stage of the investigation, and certainly not divulge it publicly. My guess is that by the time they go to trial, they will have more than enough evidence to put this guy away for life. JMO

I am glad you said this. I was thinking it...but I'd already ignited enough of a firestorm with my "Law & Order SVU episode" of how he might actually be innocent. But yes, as I alluded to in one post, he might have been terrified, with or without warrants, to call the police upon finding blood in his car. It's not a good look, whether you did it or not, and surely he'd be arrested. And if I were a young black man in South Carolina, I'd be even more afraid. All you need to know is the racist vitriol on his Facebook page and the pages of his friends and family. It's frightening! While the police/prosecution don't go out of their way to find exculpatory information once they think they have their guy...if they did find some...and released him...I would hope they'd give him and his family at least 24 hours notice to get a running start, because I really do think they would be lynched regardless.

I agree with yall, this guy running when he was pulled over doesn't phase me. Doesn't tell me he's guilty or innocent of murdering Samantha. Other things such as him being charged with murder tell me he's guilty because obviously they have enough evidence to charge him- evidence that we don't have and don't know about yet, and yes at this point I would need evidence to prove him innocent :eek: That is not how our justice system works I know, but let's just say I'm glad I won't be asked to be a juror on this case.

I easily understand offering the other side/playing devil's advocate. I think for many of us it is a discussion of what prosecution may do and what the defense may come back with. It is also looking every which way at the minimum of information we have.

A few things. The car interior was tan per allegedly per his own FB pictures and pride of his nice ride.

While I too in the beginning thought there was no proof she actually scheduled an Uber, since then I have seen an article where it has been confirmed that she did indeed schedule one.

As to why would he pull over and then run? I would suspect like many of us, there is that immediate reaction of realizing we have LE trying to pull us over and we do as we are supposed to. The initial instinct is what do they want and perhaps he hoped and thought it would be a routine traffic stop. My guess is he realized quickly it was more serious than that and he took off, knowing there was blood and a cell phone in his car, etc. This is total speculation by me on this one though.

I do agree we have no actual proof or sighting that he was the one in "his" car. I, however, doubt we have seen what LE has with regard to that. In almost all cases, we always get just a snippet and a blurry one generally of any video and of what they have overall, which is held back. If they have proof, one can see why they hold such things, because he is locking himself into stories/lies such as he was passed out and it was not him....

I do agree that what he did makes no sense, no concern about the blood in the car, driving right back in the same area, no concern about cameras, the line of people outside, etc.

I do agree I do not live there and cannot pretend to understand how he may feel as a young black man. I though agree with others that I would not care if he was white, purple, black, green or periwinkle blue. I do not think he has been picked on by LE in general in his life at all as he has not much of a record. However, that same lack of record makes it difficult to understand why he did this.

Just speculation but I do not believe he and she had anything going on although I could see them knowing each other or recognizing each other in passing. Her bf said he and she spent basically every weekend together and she was a student and she worked. She received a full ride so I speculate she worked very hard.

What if she wanted to go home, had been talking with him and said she scheduled an Uber but it was going to be awhile and she wanted to go home? Could he have said, well let me go get my parked car and if he is not here by the time I pull up, I will gladly give you a ride? I actually could see something like that being possible. She was separated from her friends and wanted to go home...

If his jealous "gf" and a friend of hers did this? I just do not see it. Some do not believe he could put her in the trunk at his size, I just cannot picture this one at all. I can, however, see a gf being WITH him.

Just talking out loud and discussing...

I would have snipped this, but after all these years, I still do not know how to. Just want to say that the idea that these two had some sort of relationship seems preposterous to me. They were on completely opposite paths. She was law school-bound and he was a dropout or flunk out (we really do not know which). There is absolutely nothing, other than a perhaps some random suggestion on some social media page, that they had ever met, much less had a a relationship. Also, as to blood he may not have seen, his car had a tan interior, not black. Would be almost impossible not to notice a lot of blood, imo. As to needing more evidence, LE isn't going to tell everything they have at this stage of the investigation, and certainly not divulge it publicly. My guess is that by the time they go to trial, they will have more than enough evidence to put this guy away for life. JMO

I agree, these 2 people were headed down complete opposite paths. I experienced the college life scene, from my experience we crossed paths with locals all the time. By looking at her profile and listening to how much this poor girl was loved and the life’s she impacted. Then looking at his, I can see why this would be absurd. I am just saying you go away to college & you meet people from all walks of life.

As for the blood, I was making a point that if he did tell his parents there was blood in the car (which they stated in the interview) why even say it? He wasn’t trying to hide the fact it existed. I think he was well aware of the blood. Hence, the cleaning supplies. It’s hard for me to comprehend how someone would be driving around in someone’s blood they just murdered. But I’m not a murder so I don’t know.

I agree! I find it very hard to believe there is no dna. Phone records, pings, all the way down to which side the car seat was on when he was detained. If you think about it, normally the car seat is placed behind passenger seat (not always) so the driver can see the child. SJ got in on the rear passenger side. Then we would know if maybe it was placed after...

There’s just so many things in question & I’m sure it will all come to light.

Exactly. IMO there's nothing at all to suggest they had prior knowledge of each other. It is rather preposterous to think otherwise.

Another poster said that NR running from the police doesn't phase them, and has no bearing on their feelings of his guilt. I wholeheartedly agree. It does have no bearing, and for me at least, it's the glaring evidence of CCTV footage, blood/phone in his car, location of victim's body in relation to locations he would be familiar with. The fact that he's picking up another woman the next day with blood in his car after murdering a person less than 24 hours pretty much sets in stone the idea that he's got the capability of doing what he's accused, MOO.

Whether they knew each other or not is irrelevant, he still had no right to murder her. If their phone were texting, no matter who had possession of them, police would know. If it was a supposed jealous gf, why would she frame the guy she murdered for? The car interior is tan, if she was attacked inside as the AW suggests, there would be blood all over. I suspect there is dna, both from SA and defending herself, and that this will be a slam dunk for LE. MOO

Whether they knew each other or not is irrelevant, he still had no right to murder her. If their phone were texting, no matter who had possession of them, police would know. If it was a supposed jealous gf, why would she frame the guy she murdered for? The car interior is tan, if she was attacked inside as the AW suggests, there would be blood all over. I suspect there is dna, both from SA and defending herself, and that this will be a slam dunk for LE. MOO

100% agree.

Awesome news but Sammy should have been able to walk across the stage herself!

COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - The University of South Carolina confirmed Tuesday that the student who was kidnapped and killed in late March will be honored by the school during spring commencement.

Samantha Josephson was laid to rest last week after her body was discovered in a remote area of Clarendon County. She was awaiting a summoned Uber on Harden Street when she entered a vehicle driven by 24-year-old Nathaniel David Rowland, police said.

Josephson was scheduled to attend Drexel University Law School in the fall after receiving her degree in political science during spring commencement ceremonies in early May. The degree will be given posthumously.

Slain UofSC student to be honored with posthumous degree at spring graduation

Weighing in on the reasonable doubt debate and NRs alibi/story. While I remain open to the possibility that he is telling the truth, I find it highly unlikely for the reasons that so many have articulated. I have to believe that LE checked his alibi out, if he did indeed provide it, and really, why wouldn't he if he were innocent? I would be providing names and numbers of everyone that had been at the party with me. Also, I think that LE must have stronger evidence than just the fact that it was his car, which we of course are not privy to yet. I've followed many a case here on Websleuths where LE has waited months, years, etc. to make an arrest even when we think the POI is obvious from Day 1. They only have one chance to try him and get it right, I don't think they would have charged him with murder if they didn't have some strong evidence. They could have charged him with other lesser things (maybe the fines) if they were suspicious and just wanted to lock him up while they looked for evidence.

So, yes, if it turns out that people have come forward to verify his alibi, if his DNA is not found anywhere on the murder weapon (do they have that?), or other things that point against him doing this, then of course I will change my mind. But right now, all we have is his story of what happened - someone who has a vested interest in not being found guilty.

Another Uber driver who is now a criminal

This is really, really creepy

Uber driver allegedly tries to break into house after taking residents to the airport - CNN

I know that 99% of Uber drivers are honest, but this another twist on Uber-associated crime that never occured to me

The video ends with saying use cross streets instead of your actual residence/pickup location. Well that is just great although at home one might have surveillance video and a big husband in the house and maybe a dog and actually feel safer. Or one can go to a cross street and stand alone on a corner in any weather which is what she suggested doing.

Can't trust anything apparently.

I am not putting what happened on Uber, it belongs on the perp, however, this one worked for Uber. While online apps are great, Uber, Instacart, etc., they are making money by never working with their own employees nor meeting with them in person to get a clue if they can be trusted or if they would work next to them themselves or ride with them or let them follow them home....

Why not next we meet the Fed Ex driver and Instacart and the mailman with a package down on the corner and carry that bag of dog food or all of those groceries home? And stand there all alone?

Such a world... smh.

The video ends with saying use cross streets instead of your actual residence/pickup location. Well that is just great although at home one might have surveillance video and a big husband in the house and maybe a dog and actually feel safer. Or one can go to a cross street and stand alone on a corner in any weather which is what she suggested doing.

Can't trust anything apparently.

I am not putting what happened on Uber, it belongs on the perp, however, this one worked for Uber. While online apps are great, Uber, Instacart, etc., they are making money by never working with their own employees nor meeting with them in person to get a clue if they can be trusted or if they would work next to them themselves or ride with them or let them follow them home....

Why not next we meet the Fed Ex driver and Instacart and the mailman with a package down on the corner and carry that bag of dog food or all of those groceries home? And stand there all alone?

Such a world... smh.

Yes, and some pages back there was an article about an attempted kidnapping in Seattle at 4:15 am when a woman was waiting outside for her Uber. The perp drove up and tried to get the woman in his vehicle by threatening her with a handgun.
Fortunately, the Uber arrived just then and the woman was able to run into the safety of the Uber vehicle and they got the perps plate # so he could be arrested.

So, no, standing out on the street away from your house just isn’t so safe either

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akwy
Back