SC SC - Stanley Kotowski, 60, Hilton Head, 16 Aug 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wonder if the phrase "Under the home" is misleading in this instance, as so many beach-front homes are stilted. In any case, my condolences for his family. :(
I looked up the location on Google street view. They have exterior photos of the condo units--they don't appear to be stilted. Lagoon Villas · 226 s sea pines Dr, Lagoon Villa, Hilton Head Island, SC 29928

I find it really odd--I grew up in Myrtle Beach--we didn't have basements either... the ground is too soft for it right on the coastline.

The sheriff's office said the body was discovered under a Sea Pines home around 3:30 p.m. Monday during a search "in connection to suspicious activity."
Stanley-Kotowski-082624.jpg

Investigators believe the deceased person to be Kotowski, but an autopsy is scheduled Tuesday to confirm his identification and to determine the manner of death.

The sheriff's office said the body was discovered under a Sea Pines home around 3:30 p.m. Monday during a search "in connection to suspicious activity."

Investigators believe the deceased person to be Kotowski, but an autopsy is scheduled Tuesday to confirm his identification and to determine the manner of death.

*Body found four houses down from his Hilton Head home

@RedAndBlue / @Orange And Purple , and all family and friends of Stan, I extend my most sincere condolences and empathy. Having experienced the devastating and unexpected death of a loved one following his having gone missing, I understand all the emotions running through you right now. Sending love and prayers for healing. If you need to talk or I can help in any way, please do not hesitate to reach out … Love and Light.

I grew up on a beach. No Hilton Head but not far from there. Stilted beach homes were often wrapped in lattice to make an enclosed, private space on the ground floor. Speaking from experience, they can be difficult to find your way out of if you aren't thinking clearly (such as after a late night college party). I wonder if in his mental state he found himself trapped?
Maybe, but it wouldn't have killed him. I have spent a lot of time in Hilton Head and this makes no sense to me.

I'm so sorry for the very sad and tragic outcome for his family and those who knew and loved him.

I'm curious as to what the autopsy and tox screen will show. The only thing I can think of that could have caused his death is that he took an overdose of something and went to find a place where he wouldn't readily be found. It's so sad to even think about, and I hope I don't trigger anyone by saying it. I'm just searching for answers.

I'm so sorry for the very sad and tragic outcome for his family and those who knew and loved him.

I'm curious as to what the autopsy and tox screen will show. The only thing I can think of that could have caused his death is that he took an overdose of something and went to find a place where he wouldn't readily be found. It's so sad to even think about, and I hope I don't trigger anyone by saying it. I'm just searching for answers.
That could have happened. But we don't know why he was having insomnia, lots of anxiety, and had become paranoid as his wife had reported. (She said he did not have dementia as I recall.) It's possible there was something going on physically that caused his death. The autopsy will be informative, for sure.
MOO

The only thing I can think of that could have caused his death is that he took an overdose of something and went to find a place where he wouldn't readily be found.
RSBM
That is what I thought @darmela until this news, just released. "Coroner David Ott confirmed his identity during an autopsy Tuesday morning. He said the cause of death was asphyxiation and said foul play was not suspected in the death...Ott said he believes Kotowski had been dead since roughly the day he disappeared... Authorities provided only limited details on the manner of death, labeling it a hanging... "If there is a message in any of this, we have got to be more attentive to mental mental illness,” Sheriff PJ Tanner said."

The article has more details. Clearly SK wanted to end his suffering in a dark, protected space. :(

ETA: last quoted bit as key information

Last edited:
Yeah, we just found out that specific information as well. As of yesterday, we figured it was heat exhaustion or dehydration. Just extremely dark and heartbreaking news. Thank you for the kind words.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knewborn96
Back