School Parents Want 1st Grader W/ Peanut Allergy Sent Home/Home-Schooled

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
NO disagreement from me there. But clorox wipes weren't meant for faces. That is what would have me angry as a wet hen.
The clorox wipes were used on the desks not the faces. It was just a misunderstanding. The 2 teachers that oversee this whole thing have it wired, so I don't think there was ever any truth to the claim that the School Board approved clorox for faces!

I may be overly neurotic, but I actually am happy they don't do homemade stuff here. I remember a few friends chomping on big ol dog hairs and such in homemade cupcakes as kids. (No slight on home-bakers, but it's just a bit more on the certain side if it's store-bought, KWIM?)

Mr Christie - you make good (sterile, health inspected) cookies. ;)

I make cupcakes and other baked items as a side business, trust me no dog hairs (EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW) LOL!!!!

I make cupcakes and other baked items as a side business, trust me no dog hairs (EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW) LOL!!!!

Oh well, then, all I have to say is:

1) Do you do kosher?

2) And have I mentioned recently that my b'day is coming up soon?

:angel:

My birthday is June 25th and I never got to celebrate at school! :maddening:

However, my mother never complained about other kids celebrating birthdays at school. :rolleyes:

You should have called me, Dan. In my classes, we always had a special end-of-the-year party for everyone who had a birthday over the break. Maybe those kids didn't feel singled out enough, but their party was always the best of the year!

Oh well, then, all I have to say is:

1) Do you do kosher?

2) And have I mentioned recently that my b'day is coming up soon?

:angel:

LOL I'd need new pans, but I think I could figure it out.. google is my friend LOL

I don't know what to think. The reporting in this case has been so conflicting but these ridiculously overreacting militants parent lost any sympathy from me at ACTUAL picketing. Really? You're outside a school protesting a lack of birthday parties? I also think the school has a lot to answer for here, seems to me a woeful lack of communication has led to a mishandling of the entire situation.

That said I stand on my first thoughts: if a child has a condition SO severe as to be at risk from serious harm or death from even the slightest unwitting contamination then the child does not belong in a public school, if, on the other hand, it can be managed by dint of some hand washing and restriction of certain food products then no problem.

I don't know what to think. The reporting in this case has been so conflicting but these ridiculously overreacting militants parent lost any sympathy from me at ACTUAL picketing. Really? You're outside a school protesting a lack of birthday parties? I also think the school has a lot to answer for here, seems to me a woeful lack of communication has led to a mishandling of the entire situation.

That said I stand on my first thoughts: if a child has a condition SO severe as to be at risk from serious harm or death from even the slightest unwitting contamination then the child does not belong in a public school, if, on the other hand, it can be managed by dint of some hand washing and restriction of certain food products then no problem.

It's more than picketing...This child has not been able to return to school because of the threats of intentionally exposing her to peanut products....This is implicitly a death threat in her case.

Who is going to stand up for this child's rights to be educated period?

It's more than picketing...This child has not been able to return to school because of the threats of intentionally exposing her to peanut products....This is implicitly a death threat in her case.

Who is going to stand up for this child's rights to be educated period?

I saw a reference earlier in the thread to death threats, and also that someone called CPS but am unable to find it or any links to back this up. I would have thought msm would be all over something like that and the police would be duty bound to investigate. If substantiated, absolutely the culprits should be tracked down and prosecuted.

As far as the child's rights to return to school well, at this stage, at 5yrs old a few weeks out of school is not materially going to affect a child's academic outlook, so, were I this child's parent, I'd be inclined to wait for the whole furore to die down before even considering returning her to a school where emotions are running so high on BOTH sides of the divide. Then perhaps, in a less hysterical atmosphere, they could arrange some meetings with the school for all concerned, get together with the other parents, bring in a medical expert or two, get everyone properly INFORMED as to what exactly needs to be done to protect the child while ensuring minimum disruption to the education ALL the children have a right to.

http://allergickid.blogspot.com/2011/03/little-more-education.html

FAcartoon.jpg

So very many of you have asked if there is absolutely anything that can be done to help the family being harassed and bullied about the food allergy accommodations their daughter receives at her elementary school here in Florida. I finally do have contact information for the school and district, as well as state level agencies, where you can let your opinions be heard, as well as a request from Tracey, the mom.

First, the bad news: other parents have written so many disturbing comments online in response to local news articles, such as threats to put peanut oil on their own child's backpack, that the family has decided it is no longer safe to send their daughter to school. These protesters have successfully managed to bully a six year old out of school, because of her disability....

okay............so where i live, we've had kids that are severe peanut allergy. If someone was to bring a pb&j sandwich for lunch, they get to eat in the pricipal's office. Not a big deal for me....they make the statement and precations are taken....i think it's fair

http://allergickid.blogspot.com/2011/03/little-more-education.html

FAcartoon.jpg

So very many of you have asked if there is absolutely anything that can be done to help the family being harassed and bullied about the food allergy accommodations their daughter receives at her elementary school here in Florida. I finally do have contact information for the school and district, as well as state level agencies, where you can let your opinions be heard, as well as a request from Tracey, the mom.

First, the bad news: other parents have written so many disturbing comments online in response to local news articles, such as threats to put peanut oil on their own child's backpack, that the family has decided it is no longer safe to send their daughter to school. These protesters have successfully managed to bully a six year old out of school, because of her disability....

That is so disturbing. What are these so called parents thinking threatening a six year old's life?! These kids did not have to do anything but wash their hands and wipe their mouths!!! :maddening:

Picture-208.png

...Tracey Bailey, whose daughter is the target of the Edgewater Elementary protests, posted on the Facebook group’s page this morning, writing, “We have been informed that the district feels our daughter can return to school on Monday safely. There is nothing being done about the threats & then the principal will sit down with the parents and tell them to stop.” When pressed by another group member to describe the threats made, Bailey wrote, “To send their kids to school with their backpacks covered in peanut oil.”...

The first person to start this whole thing should have their house surrounded by protesters. JMO

...* Clorox wipes were never used on children. Despite rumors that teachers used Clorox wipes on children's hands and faces, Wait says that this never happened.

* Children can bring peanut butter to school. The children in the allergic child's class (and only those 32 children -- not the whole school) are simply asked to leave their lunch boxes on a cart, which is then wheeled down to the cafeteria. The child with the allergy does not sit in the cafeteria, and eats at a separate table with an adult.

* Children are asked to wash their hands in the morning and after lunch. They are also asked to wipe their mouths (they had been asked to rinse out their mouths until this past Monday; according to Wait, the policy was changed because it was not part of the child's medical plan).

* The teacher decided to eliminate snacks because it was scheduled so close to lunchtime -- school starts at 8 and lunch is at 10:45 for 1st graders; in kindergarten, however, the children were given a snack at 10:30 because lunchtime was later and the children were younger. All seven of the 1st grade teachers agreed with this policy, and the 4th grade teachers also decided to eliminate snacks so soon before lunch. It was a decision the teachers made to manage their classrooms, says Wait.

* The teacher was also the one who decided to put emphasis on arts and crafts for the holidays rather than make it about food -- something that is in keeping with the school's program on wellness, says Wait. All seven 1st grade teachers also agreed to disallow food, says Wait. Today, however, Wait says that policy may be amended. "It is my understanding they are relaxing this rule and will be sending out a notice of what will be permitted for their next classroom party -- probably an end of year party," says Wait.

* School officials have been meeting with parents individually to address any concerns.

What I find upsetting is the fact that some of the parents who disagreed with the school's policies decided to picket the school, and blamed the family of the child with the allergy for any changes they didn't agree with. I am also appalled by some of the vitriolic comments that I've seen lobbed at children with allergies (by the way, food allergies can develop at any age, and the rates of allergies have been skyrocketing among children and adults in previous decades)....

Now this poor girl and her family are going to have to worry if some crazy parent trying to prove a point is going to intentionally harm her!
I am sure some of these other kids will now tease her ruthlessly because of garbage the heard their parents say. Hey, kids learn by example and these other parents, in my opinion, are poor role models.

That is so disturbing. What are these so called parents thinking threatening a six year old's life?! These kids did not have to do anything but wash their hands and wipe their mouths!!! :maddening:

With respect this is a blogger's opinion piece, she mentioned but failed to provide any links to the actual threats made in news article comments or proof that any of the protesting parents made any of those threats. I honestly don't see how continuing to fuel the fire, whipping up even more outrage, fomenting email campaigns and the like is helpful to the child or her parents at this point.

Do we KNOW for sure what the parents were told their kids would have to do? I'd LOVE to see the initial letter that went out to them since we've had reports of everything from mouthwashing to lysol wipes, we've had school authorities backpedaling and toning down the measures they originally said had to be enforced. Frankly this is a big mess and not likely to get any less messy until EVERYONE takes a deep breath, steps back and allows some reason to prevail.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB
Back