Scientist: All Blue Eyed People Are Related

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well we should organise a family reunion, us hazel eyed people! :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

I'm not trying to hedge my bets or anything, but I always wished I had green eyes. Can I come to yours, too?

So...who all on here is kin to me then?

If you've got blue eyes, shake the hand of the nearest person who shares your azure irises: He or she may be a distant cousin.
Danish researchers have concluded that all blue-eyed people share a common ancestor, presumably someone who lived 6,000 to 10,000 years ago.
"Originally, we all had brown eyes," Professor Hans Eiberg of the University of Copenhagen said in a press release. "But a genetic mutation affecting the OCA2 gene in our chromosomes resulted in the creation of a 'switch,' which literally 'turned off' the ability to produce brown eyes."
That "switch" — a simple change from "A," or adenine, to "G," or guanine, in the DNA — actually sits next to the OCA2 gene, which regulates the pigmentation of our eyes, hair and skin, and hence has only a limiting effect on it.
If the mutation had completely deactivated OCA2, all blue-eyed people would be albinos. more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,327070,00.html

So that makes you my sister-in-law!! :woohoo:

I knew this girl in elementary. She had one blue eye and one brown eye. SWEAR! I couldn't make that up!:eek:

My mother had one blue eye and one brown. One of her brother's had the same phenomenon.

I am five foot two, eyes of blue :) Hi cousins!

I have one freckle up under each pupil. Some people think it's cute, others tell me I'm evil. LOL

The weird (my wife thinks it's interesting) is that my eyes change colors depending on what I am wearing. If I'm wearing something blue, my eyes look more blue, if I'm wearing green or black, they look more green. Pretty neat I guess.

Mine do this as well. They have a very dark outline with very little color in the iris. They sometimes look almost pale grey, sometimes green, blue, or even lavender. I wear makeup that tends to make them look more blue.

An optometrist told me once that this is because there is so little pigment in them, and that it is actually more important for me to protect them from the sun - similar to fair skinned people being more likely to burn.

My DH has greenish grey eyes. My DKs all had blue when they were little, but the boys have both turned more green as they get older. My DD7 is the only one who has my eyes - I hope they stay that way since she looks so much like me.

It's a shame b/c my grandfather had those brilliant blue eyes that looked like fake contact lenses. I was the only one of all his kids and grandkids who got blue eyes, but they aren't even close to the gorgeous color of his.

I knew this girl in elementary. She had one blue eye and one brown eye. SWEAR! I couldn't make that up!:eek:

It's called heterochromia. I know a woman that one eye is half brown (or maybe hazel), half blue. I think her other eye is all blue. That is called sectoral heterochromia.

Elizabeth Taylor's eyes were supposed to have been bluish-violet long ago--She did a movie a long time ago, about 1947,where she played the part of a turn-of-the-century large family--The film was in color and her eyes looked pretty amazing

It's called heterochromia. I know a woman that one eye is half brown (or maybe hazel), half blue. I think her other eye is all blue. That is called sectoral heterochromia.

Oh how interesting I went to school with a guy who had one green eye and one blue eye, I always thought he got lucky cuz he got both pretty colors.

Oh how interesting I went to school with a guy who had one green eye and one blue eye, I always thought he got lucky cuz he got both pretty colors.

That tickled my funny bone!

My aunt had a brownish hazel eye and a really pretty green eye... I always thought it was neat.

This thread only makes me think of Maddie McCann...and her eye....God plz bless her...

I had a student about 8 years ago named Valeria that had one brown eye and one very light green. It took a little getting used to , but it made her feel special.And she was very pretty. After a while, nobody even noticed it in school.

My parents and my 2 sisters and I are all blonde and blue eyed. My husband is brown haired and brown eyed, as are our two kids.

I'm so glad I'm not related to my hubby ! :crazy:

I'm not trying to bring attn upon myself....but I want to know if ANYONE (never heard of it) other than myself has one brown freckle up under each pupil...I can give pics if needed....but have never heard of someone like me....as I said b4, some folks think it is neat, some evil....

My mother had blue eyes. My father had brown eyes. Both my brother and I have blue eyes. I tried to study the genetics involved in that, dominance, etc., but my husband explained it very simply. He said: "Genetics be da**ed. Everyone knows your mother dominates the he** out of your father." So I guess that's it. LOL

Hi to all my new-found cousins.

The weird (my wife thinks it's interesting) is that my eyes change colors depending on what I am wearing. If I'm wearing something blue, my eyes look more blue, if I'm wearing green or black, they look more green. Pretty neat I guess.

My eyes do the same thing. I say their green though. So what about us folks with the green eyes? Where are our ancestors? Or are we aliens? :laugh:

I'm not trying to bring attn upon myself....but I want to know if ANYONE (never heard of it) other than myself has one brown freckle up under each pupil...I can give pics if needed....but have never heard of someone like me....as I said b4, some folks think it is neat, some evil....
White Rain-
Are your eyes a very pale blue so that the freckles under the pupils are obvious as soon as one looks at you? I will be looking at eyes much more closely now that you've brought this up. As a portrait painter I have not seen this but it may be my error in observation.
And Hi Cuz :clap: !

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stahoe