SD SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
(IMO) I think it's totally possible she heard searchers yelling for her in the distance but was afraid of being in trouble and stayed put. It's the irrational thought of a terrified child.

Serenity was wearing jeans, tshirt, and snowboots but she had no coat. I think she ran off the road to hide and got lost.

Not many daylight hours first of February, and I think she huddled somewhere trying to stay warm and never surfaced.

9 years old -- she breaks my heart. :(

"ROCKERVILLE, S.D. — Law enforcement agencies were out again Thursday morning in Rockerville, continuing the search for Serenity Dennard, who went missing Feb. 3 from the Black Hills Children’s home.

Over six months later, countless hours have been spent with over 1000 people from at least 60 collaborating agencies. The search for Serenity Dennard is the most expansive and intricate in state history.

The ground searches are only one aspect to the investigation and pose new challenges each time. “We’ve been doing them for many months, many searches a month” said Capt. Tony Harrison with the Pennington County Sheriff’s Office.

The PCSO meets every week to make a plan. Regardless of tight Rally staffing, searchers made it out Thursday morning, the day with an optimal forecast."

A look inside the ground search for Serenity Dennard - KNBN NewsCenter1

"ROCKERVILLE, S.D. — Law enforcement agencies were out again Thursday morning in Rockerville, continuing the search for Serenity Dennard, who went missing Feb. 3 from the Black Hills Children’s home.

Over six months later, countless hours have been spent with over 1000 people from at least 60 collaborating agencies. The search for Serenity Dennard is the most expansive and intricate in state history.

The ground searches are only one aspect to the investigation and pose new challenges each time. “We’ve been doing them for many months, many searches a month” said Capt. Tony Harrison with the Pennington County Sheriff’s Office.

The PCSO meets every week to make a plan. Regardless of tight Rally staffing, searchers made it out Thursday morning, the day with an optimal forecast."

A look inside the ground search for Serenity Dennard - KNBN NewsCenter1
Also noting that the Sheriff's office says the cadaver dogs continue to pick up on scents in the hills. 1:47 mark in the video

MOO

Also noting that the Sheriff's office says the cadaver dogs continue to pick up on scents in the hills. 1:47 mark in the video

MOO

That's a big deal because they have had many different dog teams searching over the months. They are picking up odor but just not the original source location. My gosh, let there be still wind and the stars align soon for a successful recovery of this poor little girl.

AUG 8, 2019
The search for Serenity Dennard continues during rally week
SERENITY+SEARCH+PIC.jpg

Despite the hectic pace of rally week, a group of authorities and volunteers continued their search for Serenity Dennard on the morning of Aug. 8.

Covering a three-mile radius, about 30 people and two canines trekked through tall grasses just Northeast of the children's home for any evidence of Serenity.

[...]

"We sit down the first part of each week and assess where we're at and of course it' s rally week this week, so we kind of tentatively planned a search for today depending on what was going on with rally week. It's driven by resources available, driven by weather, driven by the information we have, we follow the information whether it's investigatively or through our search efforts," said Pennington County Sheriff Kevin Thom.

The sheriff said he is committed to bringing Serenity home and the search will continue until she is found.
Quoting myself to add another photo taken during the Aug 8 search:

NE of the Children's Home
Search%20for%20Serenity%20Aug%208_li46.jpg

Source: Volunteers and two canines search for Serenity Thursday

Pennington County Sheriff's Office
A group of 39 searchers and K9 handlers covered about 86 miles, collectively.

Video of the searchers being briefed by the PCSO, Aug 8.

AUG 11, 2019
Sheriff: Search for Serenity continues, six months after girl ran away
Pennington County Sheriff Kevin Thom said Thursday he cannot unequivocally state that a 9-year-old girl missing since February is dead, but his office’s investigation has not yet turned up anything leading him to believe she is alive.
  • A total of more than 1,000 people have collectively logged more than 4,300 miles searching for Serenity.
  • The searches have also included 91 canines and their handlers.
  • Seven aircraft have been used to search for Serenity.
  • That investigation has led LE to chase 195 leads in 15 states, conduct 440 interviews or contacts and execute six search warrants.
  • Information-sharing by the PCSO with media, social media, and NCMEC has resulted in millions of views, according to web traffic monitored by the PCSO.
“It’s frustrating to people that we haven’t found her,” Thom said. “It’s frustrating to us that we haven’t found her. But that doesn’t mean we’re going to stop looking.”

AUG 11, 2019
Sheriff: Search for Serenity continues, six months after girl ran away
Pennington County Sheriff Kevin Thom said Thursday he cannot unequivocally state that a 9-year-old girl missing since February is dead, but his office’s investigation has not yet turned up anything leading him to believe she is alive.
  • A total of more than 1,000 people have collectively logged more than 4,300 miles searching for Serenity.
  • The searches have also included 91 canines and their handlers.
  • Seven aircraft have been used to search for Serenity.
  • That investigation has led LE to chase 195 leads in 15 states, conduct 440 interviews or contacts and execute six search warrants.
  • Information-sharing by the PCSO with media, social media, and NCMEC has resulted in millions of views, according to web traffic monitored by the PCSO.
“It’s frustrating to people that we haven’t found her,” Thom said. “It’s frustrating to us that we haven’t found her. But that doesn’t mean we’re going to stop looking.”
And yet the senator, and all of her followers, are complaining that the PCSD isn't doing enough. I wonder what more they expect them to do. What are THEY doing.........................besides complaining? :-/

And yet the senator, and all of her followers, are complaining that the PCSD isn't doing enough. I wonder what more they expect them to do. What are THEY doing.........................besides complaining? :-/
Not sure that is really fair to say. The senator has been trying to get the word out to a wider audience, but other than the lack of searches early on, I don't think she is complaining about PCSD's efforts. As to what are they doing, the senator has been out personally looking for Serenity a number of times, searching the area herself, and has also organized a search effort. She has been hands-on. What more do you expect? I may not always agree with all she does, but it can't be argued that she is simply critical from afar. She is trying to get the word out. What more do you think she should be doing?

Not sure that is really fair to say. The senator has been trying to get the word out to a wider audience, but other than the lack of searches early on, I don't think she is complaining about PCSD's efforts. As to what are they doing, the senator has been out personally looking for Serenity a number of times, searching the area herself, and has also organized a search effort. She has been hands-on. What more do you expect? I may not always agree with all she does, but it can't be argued that she is simply critical from afar. She is trying to get the word out. What more do you think she should be doing?
She has complained that the number of searchers that the PCSD takes out is too few and there should be more. She has also supported the claims that the PCSD is more interested in what she's doing than they are in putting effort into finding Serenity. All the while, her focus seems to be getting interviews with family members so she can report her 'bombshells'. The bio parents haven't had contact with her since she was a toddler and had no idea where she was. Not sure why anyone would think they would have any useful information. Adoptive mom and her husband haven't seen her in years and also didn't know she was at the children's home. If they had any useful info, the PCSD would know about it by now. Adoptive dad and his wife want nothing to do with the senator. They had no reason to abduct her---if they wanted to take her, they just had to go there and take her home. Yet the senator and the people on her site are constantly bad mouthing them and claiming they don't want the 'truth' to come out. These interviews are more for sensationalism than they are to be helpful.

I don't know what she actually doing to 'get the word out'. The PCSD put out the flyers and contacted the Center for Missing and Exploited Children--not her. She went on the Nancy Grace pod cast and gave out a bunch of misinformation. She said an Amber Alert should have been issued ---obviously she doesn't even know the criteria. She said the temps were in the 50s when she went missing and it was 'sweatshirt weather. Wrong. And then there was her statement about Serenity wearing sneakers when she went missing, when the poster on the senator's own site even said she was wearing black boots. The boot issue is the only thing she's admitted she got wrong.

Regarding the search she organized, it's been reported, and I believe there's a video, of her passing out cupcakes and speaking with reporters who wanted to interview her, but she, herself, never went on the search. I know she's made the claim she went out searching with her family but as far as I know, she's only said that once. If she's been out searching, why hasn't she made any videos, like the PCSD makes each time they conduct a search? For someone who likes to make videos as much as she does, one would think she would have recorded at least one of her search efforts and told authorities so they could log the area on their grid. Haven't seen on the PCSD page any information about her being out there searching--- and they give frequent updates about Serenity. The only video of the area that she's posted is one she made of the distance from the home to the road where Serenity disappeared.

I've seen other sites people have started for missing people/children. I have never seen anyone EVER post a glamour shot of themselves on these sites, let alone post them on a regular basis, like she does. Sometimes it's twice a week. Who does that??????? She has more glamour shots of herself posted than she does of Serenity. All I see her doing is stirring the pot to get attention -----for herself. There are people and groups who used to support her and have announced they no longer support her because of her attention seeking tactics for herself. So what is she actually doing? Well, she's telling her followers to be on the look out for Serenity and to hang posters. Other than that, I don't know of anything. Oh--- and she started a fundraiser for reward money. Reward money? If anyone abducted her, which I highly doubt, does anyone really think they'd give her back for a couple thousand bucks? Has any abductor ever returned a child to get a pittance of a reward? Has anyone ever NOT called in when they spotted a missing child, because there was no reward money being offered?

Here's what I think she should do: Go away. She's not doing anything that's worthwhile anyway. She's not keeping Serenity's name out there---she's keeping her own name (and images) out there.

Too bad a reputable reporter like Maria Guerrero isn't covering this case.

She has complained that the number of searchers that the PCSD takes out is too few and there should be more. She has also supported the claims that the PCSD is more interested in what she's doing than they are in putting effort into finding Serenity. All the while, her focus seems to be getting interviews with family members so she can report her 'bombshells'. The bio parents haven't had contact with her since she was a toddler and had no idea where she was. Not sure why anyone would think they would have any useful information. Adoptive mom and her husband haven't seen her in years and also didn't know she was at the children's home. If they had any useful info, the PCSD would know about it by now. Adoptive dad and his wife want nothing to do with the senator. They had no reason to abduct her---if they wanted to take her, they just had to go there and take her home. Yet the senator and the people on her site are constantly bad mouthing them and claiming they don't want the 'truth' to come out. These interviews are more for sensationalism than they are to be helpful.

I don't know what she actually doing to 'get the word out'. The PCSD put out the flyers and contacted the Center for Missing and Exploited Children--not her. She went on the Nancy Grace pod cast and gave out a bunch of misinformation. She said an Amber Alert should have been issued ---obviously she doesn't even know the criteria. She said the temps were in the 50s when she went missing and it was 'sweatshirt weather. Wrong. And then there was her statement about Serenity wearing sneakers when she went missing, when the poster on the senator's own site even said she was wearing black boots. The boot issue is the only thing she's admitted she got wrong.

Regarding the search she organized, it's been reported, and I believe there's a video, of her passing out cupcakes and speaking with reporters who wanted to interview her, but she, herself, never went on the search. I know she's made the claim she went out searching with her family but as far as I know, she's only said that once. If she's been out searching, why hasn't she made any videos, like the PCSD makes each time they conduct a search? For someone who likes to make videos as much as she does, one would think she would have recorded at least one of her search efforts and told authorities so they could log the area on their grid. Haven't seen on the PCSD page any information about her being out there searching--- and they give frequent updates about Serenity. The only video of the area that she's posted is one she made of the distance from the home to the road where Serenity disappeared.

I've seen other sites people have started for missing people/children. I have never seen anyone EVER post a glamour shot of themselves on these sites, let alone post them on a regular basis, like she does. Sometimes it's twice a week. Who does that??????? She has more glamour shots of herself posted than she does of Serenity. All I see her doing is stirring the pot to get attention -----for herself. There are people and groups who used to support her and have announced they no longer support her because of her attention seeking tactics for herself. So what is she actually doing? Well, she's telling her followers to be on the look out for Serenity and to hang posters. Other than that, I don't know of anything. Oh--- and she started a fundraiser for reward money. Reward money? If anyone abducted her, which I highly doubt, does anyone really think they'd give her back for a couple thousand bucks? Has any abductor ever returned a child to get a pittance of a reward? Has anyone ever NOT called in when they spotted a missing child, because there was no reward money being offered?

Here's what I think she should do: Go away. She's not doing anything that's worthwhile anyway. She's not keeping Serenity's name out there---she's keeping her own name (and images) out there.

Too bad a reputable reporter like Maria Guerrero isn't covering this case.
Let me repeat - I am not a "supporter", as you labelled her followers. But neither I am a critic. I'm going to start with your summary first because I think it is the most important. You said she should "go away". I couldn't disagree more. We are talking about a missing child here. ANY publicity is better than no publicity, and the senator's publicity isn't as bad as you paint it. I've seen too many cases that simply went silent, with nobody saying anything. At least she is saying things.

As to your points, I agree with a few, and disagree with a few. I don't agree with everything the senator has done necessarily. I agree with you that interviewing the birth parents was basically a waste of time with there being no real chance of garnering any useful information. I disagree, however, with you with regards to the adoptive mom who hasn't seen Serenity is some time. It hasn't been through lack of trying, apparently. I initially took that same view - where has she been? But the fault seems to have been deeper, a major communications breakdown between her and her ex. I think the reason the adoptive father and his wife refuse to talk to the senator is because they don't want that generally known. It brought into question as to why Serenity was even put in the Home in the first place, and why wasn't the adoptive mother notified, as she should have been. But that's all background story. And nobody is suggesting any of the parents had any part in Serenity's disappearance.

Getting attention for herself? Based on what? She has stated time and again that she isn't getting a thing out of this, she just wants Serenity found. If anything, it has hurt her political standing, but she reiterates that it really is secondary to finding Serenity. I think you are too harsh there. Why is it that she can't get the word out without it seeming like an "attention seeking tactic"?

No, not all of her information has been correct. But you are painting that darker than it is as well. For example, regarding the Amber alert, she does know the criteria. She was questioning the criteria itself. And that is why she supports the "Serenity alert" which fits for missing children that don't fit the criteria.

Just because you don't know what she is doing to get the word out, doesn't mean she isn't doing anything. I believe that she has been in contact agencies, for example.

Your claim that it is all a "glamour shot" is silly. Many many many agencies and causes have people that have stepped forward to become spokespeople, and championed the cause. Often famous celebrities. The senator is championing the cause of finding Serenity. I just don't see that as wrong or a bad thing, especially when nobody else is out there trying to spread the word for this missing child.

And yes, she went out a number of times, especially early on before the searches were as organized as they are now, and spent hours personally searching for Serenity. Why should she make videos of that? You are speaking out of both sides of your mouth. You criticize her for making videos in order to get what latest news she has out - when otherwise we are told very little - but at the same time you criticize her for NOT making a video when she was out searching? You can't have it both ways. Her focus when out searching was in doing her best to find Serenity, and that didn't need a video. She didn't call the news crews and say "Look at me, I'm out looking for Serenity".

As for the search she organized, she served as coordinator for the search teams, which is every bit as important. I don't get why that is a sticking point for you.

This seems like a no-win situation. People criticize LE for NOT updating the public regularly, and you are criticizing the senator for attempting to do just that. I'd rather have the information. I'd rather have her shouting every day on the internet trying to get the word out, trying to have more eyes keeping a look out for Serenity, than to have nobody doing anything, and having another missing child simply vanish with nobody the wiser.

I don't agree with everything she is doing, but no matter how you look at it, her efforts are bringing more attention on Serenity - even if you don't know what those efforts are. And to me, even though I don't agree with all her methods, having her bringing attention to Serenity's case, getting the word out, is far more valuable than simply having her "go away".

Although this thread is Serenity's, I hope no one minds that I post this link to a 2016 missing young lady, her case got little attention and it happened in the Rapid City area. Sorry for going O/T. There is a thread on here, but was short lived. :( SD - SD - Larissa Lonehill, 21, Rapid City, 2 Oct 2016

Prayers for each and every missing person.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Edited to add a link that Jersey Girl posted:
Many missing and murdered indigenous women remain unknown. These are the cases we do know.

Last edited:
Let me repeat - I am not a "supporter", as you labelled her followers. But neither I am a critic. I'm going to start with your summary first because I think it is the most important. You said she should "go away". I couldn't disagree more. We are talking about a missing child here. ANY publicity is better than no publicity, and the senator's publicity isn't as bad as you paint it. I've seen too many cases that simply went silent, with nobody saying anything. At least she is saying things.

As to your points, I agree with a few, and disagree with a few. I don't agree with everything the senator has done necessarily. I agree with you that interviewing the birth parents was basically a waste of time with there being no real chance of garnering any useful information. I disagree, however, with you with regards to the adoptive mom who hasn't seen Serenity is some time. It hasn't been through lack of trying, apparently. I initially took that same view - where has she been? But the fault seems to have been deeper, a major communications breakdown between her and her ex. I think the reason the adoptive father and his wife refuse to talk to the senator is because they don't want that generally known. It brought into question as to why Serenity was even put in the Home in the first place, and why wasn't the adoptive mother notified, as she should have been. But that's all background story. And nobody is suggesting any of the parents had any part in Serenity's disappearance.

Getting attention for herself? Based on what? She has stated time and again that she isn't getting a thing out of this, she just wants Serenity found. If anything, it has hurt her political standing, but she reiterates that it really is secondary to finding Serenity. I think you are too harsh there. Why is it that she can't get the word out without it seeming like an "attention seeking tactic"?

No, not all of her information has been correct. But you are painting that darker than it is as well. For example, regarding the Amber alert, she does know the criteria. She was questioning the criteria itself. And that is why she supports the "Serenity alert" which fits for missing children that don't fit the criteria.

Just because you don't know what she is doing to get the word out, doesn't mean she isn't doing anything. I believe that she has been in contact agencies, for example.

Your claim that it is all a "glamour shot" is silly. Many many many agencies and causes have people that have stepped forward to become spokespeople, and championed the cause. Often famous celebrities. The senator is championing the cause of finding Serenity. I just don't see that as wrong or a bad thing, especially when nobody else is out there trying to spread the word for this missing child.

And yes, she went out a number of times, especially early on before the searches were as organized as they are now, and spent hours personally searching for Serenity. Why should she make videos of that? You are speaking out of both sides of your mouth. You criticize her for making videos in order to get what latest news she has out - when otherwise we are told very little - but at the same time you criticize her for NOT making a video when she was out searching? You can't have it both ways. Her focus when out searching was in doing her best to find Serenity, and that didn't need a video. She didn't call the news crews and say "Look at me, I'm out looking for Serenity".

As for the search she organized, she served as coordinator for the search teams, which is every bit as important. I don't get why that is a sticking point for you.

This seems like a no-win situation. People criticize LE for NOT updating the public regularly, and you are criticizing the senator for attempting to do just that. I'd rather have the information. I'd rather have her shouting every day on the internet trying to get the word out, trying to have more eyes keeping a look out for Serenity, than to have nobody doing anything, and having another missing child simply vanish with nobody the wiser.

I don't agree with everything she is doing, but no matter how you look at it, her efforts are bringing more attention on Serenity - even if you don't know what those efforts are. And to me, even though I don't agree with all her methods, having her bringing attention to Serenity's case, getting the word out, is far more valuable than simply having her "go away".
And why is it main stream media isn't interested in this story? That's the saddest part not enough people care to do anything to keep her story relevant. She deserves to be found!

AUG 18, 2019
OURS: Dennard search in capable hands
[...]

Anyone with even limited experience of a South Dakota cold snap knows the tiny girl would have perished quickly unless she happened almost immediately upon a place of warmth or winter clothing. Possibly Dennard sought protection in a well-hidden hollow or crevice whose location continues to elude searchers. It’s possible.

[...]

There always was the possibility that somebody waiting outside collected Dennard as she ran away from the Black Hills Children’s Home south of Rockerville. Perhaps her flight was pre-arranged. While conducting searches, officials have concurrently pursued that prospect, also to no avail.

[...]

More than 30 stories about Dennard’s case have been printed in the Rapid City Journal alone — an average of one story every seven days since her disappearance on Feb. 3. Altogether, these articles have generated enough text to fill at least five newsprint pages — and that’s just one newspaper. Stories have been picked up by the Associated Press to be published or broadcast in towns stretching from here to Great Britain. Articles continue to be written and shared. And still, nothing substantial has been uncovered.

[...]

Nobody should question DiSanto’s well-meaning intent in setting up her page. Nobody should doubt her sincerity in wanting to help find Dennard. But it seems unlikely that fostering groundless speculation and conspiracy theories can serve any purpose other than to distract from serious efforts to solve this mystery. If Dennard is ever found, it will result because trained and qualified personnel with access to varied resources did their jobs. It won’t be because of a legislator’s amateur blog or because uninformed people posted critical comments.

[...]

What we do know: Local officials, especially the sheriff’s department, have gone above and beyond in their efforts to find the missing girl. We applaud them. We support them. We are grateful. And we trust they will continue to do their best.

And why is it main stream media isn't interested in this story? That's the saddest part not enough people care to do anything to keep her story relevant. She deserves to be found!
Not interested? It's been covered by The Sun, People magazine, US News and World Report, Fox News, Nancy Grace, the Polly Klaas Foundation, Live PD and others. If you google her name, 78,000 results come up. Every missing child should get this much coverage. It's been 6 months. MSM isn't going to give any more updates until there's something to report on the case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8
Back