SD SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ugh this case really bothers me. I wish it would get picked up by HLN or have a special done....leaving a Children's Home never to be seen again at 9 yrs old is just so wrong.

I follow the Savannah Spurlock case and the scent of her body became overwhelming when the weather warmed up. I know the cadaver dogs hit on something here and there, but if Serenity was in the search area would the scent be quite strong to the searchers as well? How long do bodies smell for and how far does the scent travel (to a regular human nose)?

I have read the articles and know search warrants have been served and leads followed, but the focus seems so heavy on finding her body by the home. But she was last seen on a pubic, yet remote road and the last live scent was by the road! From the beginning I thought what a perfect setup for an opportunist driving by.

In the Salem Sabatka case, it was a hotel clerk that first alerted authorities about a suspicious man and young girl. I don't know what the local media coverage was like, but I truly hope Serenity was presented as a MISSING child, not a runaway lost cause frozen in the woods. Every hotel clerk, gas station attendant, bank teller, in the area should have been on the lookout.

When I was a rookie we had a case where a woman had been murdered in her bedroom. The police were alerted a week later because of the odor coming from the house. They had me blocking traffic two blocks away and the odor was overpowering that far away.

I did not realize Colson was not done until the end of this year, I thought he was out by now. This "society" is a huge umbrella over a lot of homes and things and major donations. The new one being put in charge I just want to make clear if I understand it correctly is for all of the facilities. Sioux Falls is about 370 miles from the home which Serenity allegedly ran from. It is not like she will be on premise ensuring how the home is run as Colson was not either... Or that employees are trained, overseen or follow protocol. At minimum

Serenity, you were one of my first child cases here. Didn't know you but you are in my heart solidly

Black Hills Children's home: Serenity 'caught us a bit off guard'

Just bringing forward the findings for anyone who may not have seen it prior. This is just what was published or could be proven imo.

ETA: Colson was also the one who said 911 was called sooner than they actually were.

No judgment, just bringing forward.

Jmo.

I did not realize Colson was not done until the end of this year, I thought he was out by now. This "society" is a huge umbrella over a lot of homes and things and major donations. The new one being put in charge I just want to make clear if I understand it correctly is for all of the facilities. Sioux Falls is about 370 miles from the home which Serenity allegedly ran from. It is not like she will be on premise ensuring how the home is run as Colson was not either... Or that employees are trained, overseen or follow protocol. At minimum

Serenity, you were one of my first child cases here. Didn't know you but you are in my heart solidly

Yes, you are correct. She will be the Exectutive Director for Children's Home Society...overseeing the entire organization and its many programs throughout South Dakota. She will be based out of Sioux Falls where Colson was often in the Rapid City area.

Other similiar organizations in this state have treatment centers, other agencies or programs throughout the state too with the Executive Director or President offices located in Sioux Falls or Rapid City. They travel to other locations and do video conferencing. Not sure if that is a national thing or just common around here. Most programs have separate program directors that actually run the individual programs or maybe a group of programs.

That being said, in my opinion the first person responsible for ensuring staff training should lie with the program director or associate program director (depending on how CHS delegates that duty.) Fitzgerald was the Program Director of BHCH when Serenity went missing...not sure if he still is. He should have been aware of how the BHCH program and staff were operating. He would also likely be responsible for updating policies or changing them, once approved. If I remember correctly he was quoted in the reports too. Fitzgerald should have been involved in the day to day operations of that program.

Obviously, Colson has fault too with regards to the lack of staff training, outdated policies, etc. since he is the CHS Executive Director. Colson also worked onsite at that location at times too but Fitzgerald also should have accountability too. Colson did seem to be pretty hands on at BHCH though...maybe I am reading that and other interviews wrong though.

CHS was ran a bit differently than the place I worked but from my knowledge of them and other similiar organizations, I don't think I am too far off on this. The people I knew that worked at SFCH reported a similiar hierarchy to what I described. Granted that was a few years ago so things may have changed. I just don't see how an executive director could be hands on in every program though and still be efficient.

My experience was that the overall leader of the organization I worked for was not hands on with the staff, program, or residents. Their office was in the same town but not in our building. We only saw the head of our organization a few times a year.

I still don't understand completely how they got away with the outdated policies and lack of training since it seems to be so different from my experiences during licensing and inspections. I worked for a similiar organization here and there were so many checks on that type of stuff. I do know the organization I worked for had someone in charge of the training schedules, plus supervisors made sure staff were current with training hours and subjects, then our Associate Director also double checked and made sure all that info was in the employee personnel files as well as to the head office. Our Program Director also made sure that was all completed properly. Maybe our inspectors were more thorough too though since I know that stuff was checked then too.

Not sure if that helped explain anything but I tried.

Serenity where are you?????

MOO

Edited for spelling and spacing errors

Yes, you are correct. She will be the Exectutive Director for Children's Home Society...overseeing the entire organization and its many programs throughout South Dakota. She will be based out of Sioux Falls where Colson was often in the Rapid City area.

Other similiar organizations in this state have treatment centers, other agencies or programs throughout the state too with the Executive Director or President offices located in Sioux Falls or Rapid City. They travel to other locations and do video conferencing. Not sure if that is a national thing or just common around here. Most programs have separate program directors that actually run the individual programs or maybe a group of programs.

That being said, in my opinion the first person responsible for ensuring staff training should lie with the program director or associate program director (depending on how CHS delegates that duty.) Fitzgerald was the Program Director of BHCH when Serenity went missing...not sure if he still is. He should have been aware of how the BHCH program and staff were operating. He would also likely be responsible for updating policies or changing them, once approved. If I remember correctly he was quoted in the reports too. Fitzgerald should have been involved in the day to day operations of that program.

Obviously, Colson has fault too with regards to the lack of staff training, outdated policies, etc. since he is the CHS Executive Director. Colson also worked onsite at that location at times too but Fitzgerald also should have accountability too. Colson did seem to be pretty hands on at BHCH though...maybe I am reading that and other interviews wrong though.

CHS was ran a bit differently than the place I worked but from my knowledge of them and other similiar organizations, I don't think I am too far off on this. The people I knew that worked at SFCH reported a similiar hierarchy to what I described. Granted that was a few years ago so things may have changed. I just don't see how an executive director could be hands on in every program though and still be efficient.

My experience was that the overall leader of the organization I worked for was not hands on with the staff, program, or residents. Their office was in the same town but not in our building. We only saw the head of our organization a few times a year.

I still don't understand completely how they got away with the outdated policies and lack of training since it seems to be so different from my experiences during licensing and inspections. I worked for a similiar organization here and there were so many checks on that type of stuff. I do know the organization I worked for had someone in charge of the training schedules, plus supervisors made sure staff were current with training hours and subjects, then our Associate Director also double checked and made sure all that info was in the employee personnel files as well as to the head office. Our Program Director also made sure that was all completed properly. Maybe our inspectors were more thorough too though since I know that stuff was checked then too.

Not sure if that helped explain anything but I tried.

Serenity where are you?????

MOO

Edited for spelling and spacing errors

Great information. Thank you!

Your last paragraph is definitely food for thought.

I know it does no good to blame one person but I just cannot quite get over this or the lack apparently of security measures, cameras, oversight, etc.

If this had happened at home on a mother's watch, everyone would be all over that mother, or many would.

It is just so frustrating that this happened and that this child is still missing. I think this particular home of theirs needs a few things--it sounds like you worked for a much better run facility.

All are entitled to their opinion but I can tell you I would never place a child in this place after such a thing happened.

As you said, where are you Serenity? It is so heartbreaking.

Jmo.

Great information. Thank you!

Your last paragraph is definitely food for thought.

I know it does no good to blame one person but I just cannot quite get over this or the lack apparently of security measures, cameras, oversight, etc.

If this had happened at home on a mother's watch, everyone would be all over that mother, or many would.

It is just so frustrating that this happened and that this child is still missing. I think this particular home of theirs needs a few things--it sounds like you worked for a much better run facility.

All are entitled to their opinion but I can tell you I would never place a child in this place after such a thing happened.

As you said, where are you Serenity? It is so heartbreaking.

Jmo.

I totally agree.

It sucks that there was such little accountability for BHCH and staff. Sadly though, I didn't expect much.

When I was a rookie we had a case where a woman had been murdered in her bedroom. The police were alerted a week later because of the odor coming from the house. They had me blocking traffic two blocks away and the odor was overpowering that far away.

Remember, it was winter when this happened. Then freeze, thaw, freeze, thaw, etc

On Thursday, Serenity’s family is thanking the people who have searched for the little girl. The Dennards are donating money to the Rockerville Volunteer Fire Department.

KELOLAND News

A couple interesting comments at that link too.

Here is a non FB link for those not on FB:

Serenity Dennard’s family donating funds to Rockerville Volunteer Fire Department

Here is a video from PCSO's FB page too.

Serenity Dennard’s family organized a... - Pennington County Sheriff's Office | Facebook
Wow, they donated $13k they raised in Sturgis. Well done!

And, Serenity's aunt said it was she and her husband who organized the fundraiser. MOO

On Thursday, Serenity’s family is thanking the people who have searched for the little girl. The Dennards are donating money to the Rockerville Volunteer Fire Department.

KELOLAND News

Serenity Dennard’s family donating funds to Rockerville Volunteer Fire Department

Serenity Dennard’s family organized a... - Pennington County Sheriff's Office | Facebook

Awesome--thank you for sharing!

I love that picture of her in the hat, it gets me too emotional each and every time.

Thinking of you Serenity.

KELOLAND News

Um, that second link you posted to Pennington County Sheriff's office FB page- some of the coments- yikes. Just. Yikes.

SEP 26, 2019
Family of Serenity Dennard donate to search efforts
[...]

"You think I'm going to go out there, my mom instincts are going to kick in, I'm going to know where to go, we're going to find her, it is never-ending, you get out there, you walk up a hill, there's another hill, you don't know which way to turn which path to take, and so the fact that they go out as much as they can, that they go out this often, that the dogs are out there, some days it's hot, some days it's cold, it's crazy to me and I owe them my world," said Kasandra Dennard, stepmother of Serenity.

[...]

SEP 26, 2019
Family of Serenity Dennard donate to search efforts
[...]

"You think I'm going to go out there, my mom instincts are going to kick in, I'm going to know where to go, we're going to find her, it is never-ending, you get out there, you walk up a hill, there's another hill, you don't know which way to turn which path to take, and so the fact that they go out as much as they can, that they go out this often, that the dogs are out there, some days it's hot, some days it's cold, it's crazy to me and I owe them my world," said Kasandra Dennard, stepmother of Serenity.

[...]

To each their own on Kassandra Denard. Seems a long time in coming.

But then all that matters is finding this child and solving this.

If it helps, kudos.

She sure is making sure it is heard now after all of this time.

Jmo though.

SEP 28, 2019
Pennington County Sheriff's Office
Wolfpack Working Dogs spent the morning searching for Serenity.
They’re soaked but they seemed to work well in the conditions.

72136941_2638521739543234_3784521140223868928_n.jpg
71198868_2638521776209897_8915719509352906752_n.jpg

If it helps, kudos.

Jmo though.

They have retained dignity in all of the horrendous things said about them. They have an infant so going out there is admirable.

I wish people could understand what children in trauma are like.I doubt if most people could handle the lives of these children for more than a day.

They have retained dignity in all of the horrendous things said about them. They have an infant so going out there is admirable.

I wish people could understand what children in trauma are like.I doubt if most people could handle the lives of these children for more than a day.

I do understand the other side of it and varying opinions. We do not know any of the parents personally and can only judge by what we see and think, which is not much.

As far as living with children in trauma, I would be the first to say I do not know if I could do it and yes, it is easy to judge.

I do think though if you go into it and adopt a child with trauma, it may be good to be well aware of what you are getting into and that is something to be better educated about or the adoption "agency" to get you well ready for and screened for.

I also think a home that is there to handle such children should be well equipped to do so.

However, I cannot disagree with your comments here, both are as likely as any opinion of mine.

Would have answered you sooner but have been out of town and busy with people.

Just checking cases hoping for some breakthroughs/news.

Serenity's is always one I hope that for and the first I am checking.

Jmo.

ETA: And in Serenity's case, her adoptive parents adopted two children, not sure that should happen until they know the family can cope with one, etc.

If it helps, kudos.

Jmo though.
Yup. Agree. What's heartbreaking is that other than KD in that group- none of them are Serenity's family, per se.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor
Back