ACTIVE SEARCH SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Weather on day girl went missing significantly hurt search efforts

"From a law enforcement perspective, we're always looking to get involved as soon as possible," Whelchel said when asked if staff at the Children's Home should have called 911 sooner.

Dennard ran from the facility at 10:45 a.m. Sunday morning and after searching for her, staff called police at 12:26 p.m.

Also includes pic of sweet little pup with icicle whiskers. They are all trying so hard to find her.

Weather on day girl went missing significantly hurt search efforts

"From a law enforcement perspective, we're always looking to get involved as soon as possible," Whelchel said when asked if staff at the Children's Home should have called 911 sooner.

Dennard ran from the facility at 10:45 a.m. Sunday morning and after searching for her, staff called police at 12:26 p.m.

Also includes pic of sweet little pup with icicle whiskers. They are all trying so hard to find her.
I was just coming to post a pic of the pup.... he looks like he has worked so hard to find her, too!

5c58c4988dd0d.image.jpg

14 dogs with five specialties have helped look for missing girl

I admit to not reading all the posts on this thread but my thoughts went to - what if she is so angry at her parents putting her "away" while her siblings are still at home and she decides she is going to escape and take vengeance against them for what they did to her? JMO IMO just thinking here about reasons for why she ran.

I dunno, the little guy I shadow is very aware (at 4) which day of the week it is. He knows by the different therapists that come in the classroom everyday. When so and so comes on Thursday, he knows that the next day is Friday, when he has visitation with his grandmother. His behavior escalates.

Agree.

My kids and their friends have been aware of day/time/week since kindergarten. At 9, where I live, they're already changing classes at school and following different daily schedules.

IMO blanket statements about kids that age are rarely true. Kids are individuals just like adults. They are also crazily advanced these days. They're doing in kindergarten what we used to do in 2nd grade when I was little.

I'm so sad to see another day has passed without this little one being found. How much does snow impede a dog's ability to smell? I don't see how she could have gone so far in that cold that the dog's would be unable to locate her. Perhaps I'm overestimating the ability of search and rescue dogs?

I'm so sad to see another day has passed without this little one being found. How much does snow impede a dog's ability to smell? I don't see how she could have gone so far in that cold that the dog's would be unable to locate her. Perhaps I'm overestimating the ability of search and rescue dogs?
They've been searching for her for long hours for several days now- I think there was a day or two that they halted the search due to weather? The first set of dogs, from what I read, tracked he scent on a section of the road, and then they lost the scent. Which is why I am wondering if she was kidnapped. I can't imagine any Good Samaritan having her all of this time, without contacting LE that they found a little girl. Of course, she could sadly be in those woods and they haven't found her yet. Also, the search dogs may have tracked a scent that was still fresh for them but her trail might now be covered due to the snow that came in.

I've read that fresh snow impedes their (the dogs) ability to smell. Plus, I don't think frozen bodies give off enough odor to be as easily detected as normal imo?

That pictures makes my heart so sad. I know they have a job to do but where is their protective gear sweater or shirt? I know others may feel different but in that weather i would rather be out there searching in my winter gear than my dog that cold and stressed out looking.
He looks cold and tired and sad.
These animals give it everything they've got and they know when the outcome is bad.

I have only been reading a few news reports on this and have not kept up with her thread...
Question-- did they close off the Children's Home at any point and search it thoroughly? I'm wondering if there is a chance she could have sneaked back inside and is hiding in the building? It's the only way I see a miracle happening here.

:(

They've been searching for her for long hours for several days now- I think there was a day or two that they halted the search due to weather? The first set of dogs, from what I read, tracked he scent on a section of the road, and then they lost the scent. Which is why I am wondering if she was kidnapped. I can't imagine any Good Samaritan having her all of this time, without contacting LE that they found a little girl. Of course, she could sadly be in those woods and they haven't found her yet. Also, the search dogs may have tracked a scent that was still fresh for them but her trail might now be covered due to the snow that came in.
If you enlarge the map with the search area and colorcoded searches, you can see markings. One is tagged where I believe the search dog alerted. Loki is the name of the dog, if I am correct. There are other tags as well, that are marked. One is small footprints, but apparently those were not of interest.

He looks cold and tired and sad.
These animals give it everything they've got and they know when the outcome is bad.
I've heard that the dogs get upset when their handlers make them take a break- that they get upset because they didn't find who they were looking for- some search dogs, it really stresses them out. I am glad this doggie's handler made him/her take a break, as they looked so tired and cold. That weather is brutal out there- it's brutal here, too right now- I can't imagine searching in the weather we're having! Bless all the LE, searchers and doggies.

Just out of curiosity, what part of the country do you live in? Not necessary to say exactly where, but I'm wondering if it's cold and snowy, wet and rainy, dry and humid, etc. The weather itself, and how you're dressed, can have a big impact on how quickly you walk. Wind and cold can make it hard to breathe, which slows you down; snow boots can be heavy and clumsy, which can slow you down; being cold can cause muscles to contract and the person to shiver, which can slow you down; ice or snow on the road can require more careful steps, which can slow you down; being afraid of getting caught can make you move faster; being cold and in a hurry to get somewhere warmer can make you move faster. I think it's really hard to say just how far she could have gone before the search really got started, but I don't see how she could have been out of sight of the 2 women unless she went into the trees or was picked up by someone. MOO

I just realized I wrote this and forgot to post it. I hope it's still applicable now...

It's not very cold here. But we did go hiking in the 20's the other day. My little one does not even own a pair of snow boots. But on wet days she hikes in rain boots. The wet trails will definitely slow us down for sure.

I had the same thought about her being seen by the women and then suddenly gone from the road. If they couldn't find her on the road then she had to have to gone off trail and into the woods. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18