ACTIVE SEARCH SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just doing some back of the envelope calculations. If she was outside she died a few hours later. An adult takes about 20 minutes to walk 1 mile on flat ground. A 9 year old perhaps 30 minutes (if she is walking in a straight line). She could not have walked more than a couple of miles. Hundreds of people have been over that area. Its just odd that she hasn't been found (to me anyway).

My kids walk way faster than this. Now they are walking not ambling along. But even my preschooler can do a 15 min mile easily. I think a 30 min mile is a big over estimation. And from what I've seen like with the Noah Chamberlain case people routinely underestimate how far small children can walk in a given period of time. If she was walking to flee I think she'd get a lot further. Hope they aren't keeping their search in too narrow an area.

My kids walk way faster than this. Now they are walking not ambling along. But even my preschooler can do a 15 min mile easily. I think a 30 min mile is a big over estimation. And from what I've seen like with the Noah Chamberlain case people routinely underestimate how far small children can walk in a given period of time. If she was walking to flee I think she'd get a lot further. Hope they aren't keeping their search in too narrow an area.
Your pre-schooler is extraordinary- most teenagers can only run a mile and half in 15 minutes. Sign them up for training. Noah was 1.5 miles from where he went missing.

Your pre-schooler is extraordinary- most teenagers can only run a mile and half in 15 minutes. Sign them up for training. Noah was 1.5 miles from where he went missing.

Wow. Seriously? We routinely do this. I'm not sure if my kids are unusual or many kids are just sedentary or out of shape. I just recalculated to be sure and she hikes a mile in 17 min actually. It's up and down hill, not flat.

Wow. Seriously? We routinely do this. I'm not sure if my kids are unusual or many kids are just sedentary or out of shape. I just recalculated to be sure and she hikes a mile in 17 min actually. It's up and down hill, not flat.
I am not being sarcastic- its a test they give kids in 8th grade. most can't

Dear beatrixpotter,

Thanks for your post. I agree that it depends on the individual as to the speed of their walking. Other factors are their shoes (Serenity wore snowboots - were they heavy or cumbersome?) as well as the rough terrain.

Serenity didn't necessarily continue walking in one direction only, even if she thought she was.

If she did walk in one direction, then she could have gotten further than they thought. But then she could have gone in a circle or back tracked and got closer to where she started or in a completely different direction.

When someone is walking they can "zig zag"- then turn this way, then that way then walk back for sometime towards where they started and then turn again.

My own experience is that (with the twists and turns) sometimes when I am walking a forest trail I am genuinely surprised to find that it brings me back to where I started - much sooner than I thought. And of course, sometimes much later. I know that Serenity wasn't on a forest trail but they will consider the possibility that she did turn back (or try to) and walked closer to where she started.

So many possibilities make me feel so deeply saddened about this little girl's predicament.

I have great faith in the searchers and their wealth of experience and knowledge. The canines are critical to these searches as well.

Hoping and praying that they find answers today.

Last edited:
Map indicating where they have searched earlier:

5c5e2a9182585.image.jpg

"A close-up image of where search and rescue personal have searched for 9-year-old Serenity Dennard. The yellow lines represent people, the hot pink lines represent dogs, and the blue lines represent an airplane. "

Arielle Zionts Journal staff

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/rapidcityjournal.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/e/54/e54dfd04-bef0-5d5a-9543-00023882a93a/5c5e2a9182585.image.jpg?resize=750,562

Photos of the search:

PHOTOS: The search for Serenity Dennard

Last edited:
The following photo depicts the rough and dense areas they are searching through: (The photo appears to be from Tuesday and I haven't found an updated one yet from this weekend - the weather since then would have changed the landscape).

"Searchers on Tuesday look for Serenity Dennard, a 9-year-old girl who was last seen Sunday morning leaving the Black Hills Children's Home near Rockerville.
Ryan Hermens, Journal staff"

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/rapidcityjournal.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/4/8f/48f99a6b-c3eb-5ad6-bc18-4596e8d1ef3f/5c5a2ffb97b91.image.jpg?resize=750,500

5c5a2ffb97b91.image.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-9_11-8-49.png
    upload_2019-2-9_11-8-49.png
    73 bytes · Views: 6
Last edited:
My kids were like yours at that age, but many aren't. Too many kids are on computers and playing video games these days- easy babysitters. Also, many parents aren't active like some of us. I agree, Serenity could have traveled that far, if she has a good fitness level for her age. I am sure they will branch out further eventually, if they don't find her soon. If only the weather wasn't so horrible for the searchers and dogs looking for her- I can't imagine how they are all doing this with this cold!

If S went off the road, the terrain would drastically slow her down, imo, especially wearing boots.
Iirc, she’s 4’9/100, lbs. I’m, yes, MOO, that’s pretty heavy for a child of her age/height, if this info is accurate, I would tend to believe S is not an athletic type child.
Moo moo

The Average Weight & Height for Girls | Livestrong.com

Hoping Serenity is hiding somewhere warm....but after so many days have passed, it’s not looking too good :(
Where I live, it’s currently -36C with the windchill and even though I am dressed for the cold temps, I can’t be outside too long before I start getting cold. Serenity wasn’t even wearing a coat :(

I don’t want to cast any suspicions on the children’s home since it appears they followed protocol for runaway children and whatnot. It’s just an unfortunate incident and I hope Serenity is found safe and sound soon!

IMO

Hoping Serenity is hiding somewhere warm....but after so many days have passed, it’s not looking too good :(
Where I live, it’s currently -36C with the windchill and even though I am dressed for the cold temps, I can’t be outside too long before I start getting cold. Serenity wasn’t even wearing a coat :(

I don’t want to cast any suspicions on the children’s home since it appears they followed protocol for runaway children and whatnot. It’s just an unfortunate incident and I hope Serenity is found safe and sound soon!

IMO

That is wicked cold.
Hopefully no harm comes to the search party & their four legged friends.
Ilovepierre, I just read your next post, I hope the same, that she’s hiding in a warm place or that she was picked up. I also hope the school staff are doing well, we can assume they are totally devastated. Moo

Last edited:
I also want to add: I don’t know what kind of behavioural/mental issues Serenity has or why she was at the children’s home, but I can relate to her impulsivitities (if that’s why she even ran....impulse). I have ADHD and Aspergers and when I was a child (around S’s age and younger) I did some very impulsive things. I snuck out of my house and decided to walk to my dad’s work. We lived on an average and he worked on a sheep farm that was “just down the road.” I probably got 20 minutes down the road before I was picked up by another guy who worked at the farm (and also lived with us) and he asked what I was doing. I lied and said my mom said I could come see my dad. I was brought back home and was in big trouble for sneaking out and lying. Another time, I snuck out while being babysat and took my tricycle for a ride “down the road.” I got all the way down the driveway and almost to the main roadway before my babysitter realized what was happening. My impulsive behaviour continued in school. I stole things from my classrooms. I had outbursts in class. I eventually had to see a counsellor in grade 3 for my behaviour.

So I totally understand doing things on impulse. Serenity saw an opportunity to run and she acted on that impulse (without thinking of any of the consequences that could follow) and just did it. I hope she’s just hiding somewhere in the children’s home and is just afraid to come out of hiding now.

IMO

I'm really hoping this little girl had a plan ,I grew up in group homes and at a nuns residential for troubled youth,I ran from all at 14 I ran from the nuns climbed the big steel fence never went back, I'm just praying this little one had a plan maybe someone who got released maybe a friend, when your in the system long enough you become resourceful,prayers this little one is ok

I'm really hoping this little girl had a plan ,I grew up in group homes and at a nuns residential for troubled youth,I ran from all at 14 I ran from the nuns climbed the big steel fence never went back, I'm just praying this little one had a plan maybe someone who got released maybe a friend, when your in the system long enough you become resourceful,prayers this little one is ok
I've had a few thoughts swirling through my head.

Serenity disappeared on Sunday- was that a day that maybe family visited, or maybe she spent time with them outside of the home? Maybe they couldn't come that day, for whatever reason, and she was upset?

When was the last time she saw her family?

How far away does her family live from this house? Would she think they were closer than they really are and try to make her way back home?

I am not saying that a nine year old can't plan things- they sure can! If the thinking is that she might have made a plan with a family member picking her up, she would need help to get away. I am sure the child that ran off first has been questioned gently but thoroughly, to see if this was a plan to get Serenity out of there. However, someone would have had to be waiting with a car somewhere, and no one seems to have mentioned anything about a car being on the side of the road at that time. Also, she would have to have an exact time to do this, to coordinate taking off and meeting someone. where could she possibly have met them? Unless she did meet someone at the last spot she was seen, and no one noticed her getting into a car? If that was the case, then the lady that went in to tell staff that Serenity was out there alone would be false, as well as the passenger in her car, that tried to keep an eye on her.

I've had a few thoughts swirling through my head.

Serenity disappeared on Sunday- was that a day that maybe family visited, or maybe she spent time with them outside of the home? Maybe they couldn't come that day, for whatever reason, and she was upset?

When was the last time she saw her family?

How far away does her family live from this house? Would she think they were closer than they really are and try to make her way back home?

RSBM.

IIRC, her family lives in Sturgis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members