ACTIVE SEARCH SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well said.
I've refrained from sleuthing the typical " players" in this one because the emotions are just too raw. My heart aches for this child and her family so I've decided not to " look into" the usual things that I normally would on a MP case .
I'm sure her parents/ family did what they felt was best for her and I'm just so sorry this happened . I'm sure everyone is .
Imo
My heart aches for her as well. And even more so because I haven't seen any real appeals or signs that she was really cared for by family. In most MP cases, you hear family speaking about missing the person. I just haven't heard that here. Did I miss that? All I've heard is from the Home and from authorities.

We all need to say a prayer tonight for Serenity, whether she is in spirit or still alive. Souls feel the vibrations of prayer or at least I believe they do. Does she know her name if asked? ..Could be afraid to speak if someone strange picked her up.

If anyone picked her up, I would hope they would drive directly to the nearest police station.

If family of Serenity happens to be reading along ( believe it or not, many MP families Google their loved ones name and these threads show up on their Google search so they begin to read along) please know that everyone is heartbroken for Serenity and she's in our prayers.

I also struggle with the fact that she wasn't found after exhaustive search efforts in that area.

If we take this case for face value and go with the theory that she left on foot and ran off on her own without any adult help , I would imagine that her remains should be in the general area. I know they can't possibly cover every square foot but I really would have guessed that she'd have been recovered already. No method is perfect though and theres so many variables that come into play in those types of locations. I hope that she's found/ recovered soon.
The thought of her being alone that night and freezing and hungry and scared is enough to bring tears to my eyes. This is a difficult one for sure. There's more questions than answers.

I think on the day that she went missing, it was around 46 degrees, so she may have been warm enough to travel further away than a mile, until it got dark or cold. Does anyone know how long this road is, in terms of miles, before you hit any traffic?
I would think the person who saw her when they dropped the other child off would have also seen her when leaving. Has anything been said about that, or was it when leaving that she was seen by them?

On February 3 at noon, it was 13 degrees in Rapid City with a 12 mph wind. By 6:00pm it was 5 degrees with 20 mph wind.
I've been going to mention this too, but never seemed to get caught up enough. The high that day was at about 3 am, and it was about 14-15 degrees at the time she left. With the wind, the windchill would have been well below 0. MOO
SBM
Could a large enough body of water (natural or manmade) been partially frozen, Serenity falls in, then it freezes solidly once the temps dropped and the snow thickened? Ice is very heavy and will hold a child's body down if the mass of ice/snow weighs enough. Cans, barrells, buckets, holes of any sort, swimming pools, dumpsters, abandoned truck beds, farming equipment, etc., basically anything in which water can accumulate and freeze should be checked carefully. Keep in mind that thick ice will not be as clear as water would be. I'd suggest taking a careful look at any large enough ice masses besides just ditches and ponds.
I don't believe it's been that much warmer there than it's been here, but I really doubt that it's been warm enough there to melt much ice on lakes, etc., and in early January ice was about 12" thick. MOO

Search for missing girl in Black Hills to expand starting Saturday

The search for a missing South Dakota girl will expand over the weekend with the use of a helicopter, scent and cadaver dogs and dozens of authorities on the ground.

Serenity Dennard, 9, has been missing since Sunday when she ran away from the Black Hills Children's Home near Rockerville southwest of Rapid City. The home is surrounded by forest.

About 35-40 people will be involved with the weekend searches on the ground including the Pennington County Sheriff’s Office, Pennington County Search and Rescue, North Haines Volunteer Fire Department, Box Elder Police Department, Rapid City Police Department, South Dakota Game Fish and Parks and US Forest Service law enforcement.

I would think the person who saw her when they dropped the other child off would have also seen her when leaving. Has anything been said about that, or was it when leaving that she was seen by them?

I've been going to mention this too, but never seemed to get caught up enough. The high that day was at about 3 am, and it was about 14-15 degrees at the time she left. With the wind, the windchill would have been well below 0. MOO

I don't believe it's been that much warmer there than it's been here, but I really doubt that it's been warm enough there to melt much ice on lakes, etc., and in early January ice was about 12" thick. MOO

IMO, she could not have survived long. Maybe 24-36 hours. I think after she stopped moving frostbite would set in, by morning, I doubt would be able to move. Moo

Please take a moment to read these stats

How long you can stay outside in extreme cold before getting frostbite

IMO, after reading the stats in previous link, little Serenity had no chance of survival beyond one day & frostbite definitely would have been an issue.
Maybe a medical expert can weigh in?
This is all MOO from link

If family of Serenity happens to be reading along ( believe it or not, many MP families Google their loved ones name and these threads show up on their Google search so they begin to read along) please know that everyone is heartbroken for Serenity and she's in our prayers.

Rachel1, Ty you for posting this and speaking on our behalves.

Yes, yes indeed.

Our back and forth, theories, speculations, etc. whether they seem to be way out there, exactly on point, cold and callus, or kind and respectful are meant to help, not hurt any more than they undoubtedly are any family and/friends who may happen to be our readers. Please know too that most of us contribute with the hope that the information and ideas we share can be used by the involved parties to help bring Serenity home. Our best to you and yours in this most difficult, unimaginable time.

My heart aches for her as well. And even more so because I haven't seen any real appeals or signs that she was really cared for by family. In most MP cases, you hear family speaking about missing the person. I just haven't heard that here. Did I miss that? All I've heard is from the Home and from authorities.

They must be outraged. IMO, this was preventable & is completely unacceptable.
All of you that disagree, that’s fine, we all have our own opinion. I do t need a lecture advising me this isn’t a lockdown facility, etc.

There is no reason for appeals in this case. What would it accomplish? They aren't asking for volunteer searchers and don't appear to believe she was abducted. I can't think of a case where they just came out and talked about the person, just because.

I have seen lots of concern, anguish and prayer requests on social media. I've seen how smart Serenity is. How outgoing she is (so no fear of strangers.) Serenity's favorite color is purple.

I have seen how desperate they are to know that she is safe and not suffering. How thankful they are for thoughts, prayers and searchers. I have seen some defense of the employees, some not commenting, I have not seen anger yet.

This article is being circulated as the most accurate by family. It also clarifies that the wood couple saw staff searching FOR Serenity. They did not actually see Serenity. So that explains why LE wanted to talk to them.

Weather on day girl went missing significantly hurt search efforts

IMO, she could not have survived long. Maybe 24-36 hours. I think after she stopped moving frostbite would set in, by morning, I doubt would be able to move. Moo

Please take a moment to read these stats

How long you can stay outside in extreme cold before getting frostbite
I've lived in Minnesota all my life, I'm all too aware of those stats. I've walked 5+ miles in that kind of weather, but never dressed the way she was. If she was out there without any kind of shelter, I'd be very surprised if she survived even 24 hours. As the day went on, the temperature dropped and the wind picked up, in addition to the fact that she was probably wet from the snow. Being picked up by someone is almost the only way she could have survived, but even that doesn't sound good considering that nobody has come forward. MOO

I've lived in Minnesota all my life, I'm all too aware of those stats. I've walked 5+ miles in that kind of weather, but never dressed the way she was. If she was out there without any kind of shelter, I'd be very surprised if she survived even 24 hours. As the day went on, the temperature dropped and the wind picked up, in addition to the fact that she was probably wet from the snow. Being picked up by someone is almost the only way she could have survived, but even that doesn't sound good considering that nobody has come forward. MOO

I agree, I grew up on Lake MI.
And we know with the Polar Vortex recently, Al Roker & Dylan Dryer have advised to cover every area of skin. I thought our local meteorologist said frostbite can set in in only ten minutes at a certain temp.
I’m with you, 24 hours would be about the limit bc of hypothermia, imo. Again, I’m no med’ expert.
All moo.

IMO, after reading the stats in previous link, little Serenity had no chance of survival beyond one day & frostbite definitely would have been an issue.
Maybe a medical expert can weigh in?
This is all MOO from link
Sadly it's true that if she was outside she could not have survived. That is why the focus of the search shifted from rescue to a recovery operation on Wednesday.
Authorities: Search For Serenity Switched From Rescue To Recovery Mission
"If Serenity was outside, it’s unlikely she survived," the Pennington County Sheriff's Office said in a statement. "We have not ruled out the possibility that she found some place warm to shelter or that someone picked her up."

But since the Pennington Co. SO has not ruled out the possibility that someone picked her up, IMO no one else should either. People have speculated that Serenity may not have been able to formulate a plan to run off and get the others to create a diversion on her own, but it just seems to me that she was likely too smart to just run into the wilderness in winter - someone else though, could have done just that for her. It would not have been hard for some adult to have coached her, formulate a plan and set up the time before hand. I have seen many cases where a child leaves behind the phone, takes very little and sneaks out. When they are found they are with a parent or some other relative. So while PCSO is out searching the wilderness in recovery mode I have some confidence that that is not all they are doing.
I think there's hope of that.
JMO

Sadly it's true that if she was outside she could not have survived. That is why the focus of the search shifted from rescue to a recovery operation on Wednesday.
Authorities: Search For Serenity Switched From Rescue To Recovery Mission

But since the Pennington Co. SO has not ruled out the possibility that someone picked her up, IMO no one else should either. People have speculated that Serenity may not have been able to formulate a plan to run off and get the others to create a diversion on her own, but it just seems to me that she was likely too smart to just run into the wilderness in winter - someone else though, could have done just that for her. It would not have been hard for some adult to have coached her, formulate a plan and set up the time before hand. I have seen many cases where a child leaves behind the phone, takes very little and sneaks out. When they are found they are with a parent or some other relative. So while PCSO is out searching the wilderness in recovery mode I have some confidence that that is not all they are doing.
I think there's hope of that.
JMO

We hope the latter, too! Hoping she’s warm & safe & someone just isn’t sure how to come forward now.
Fingers crossed.
Hoping all adults with any contact with SD are fully investigated. Moo

Last edited:
The couple that the sheriff's office was initially looking for hadn't seen Dennard, but a staff member who was looking for her, Whelchel said. However, a woman dropping a family member off at the facility did see Dennard at a nearby cattle gate around 11 a.m.

He said the woman saw Dennard after dropping the relative off and was backing up her car, which had another passenger inside. The woman got out of her car and went inside to tell the staff that there was a girl outside. Meanwhile, the other person inside the car saw Dennard walk north up the road. By the time the woman returned to her car, Dennard was gone, and she couldn't find her as she drove up and down the road.

Whelchel said the sheriff's office is in "regular contact" with Dennard's parents. "They're devastated," he said.

Weather on day girl went missing significantly hurt search efforts

I agree, I grew up on Lake MI.
And we know with the Polar Vortex recently, Al Roker & Dylan Dryer have advised to cover every area of skin. I thought our local meteorologist said frostbite can set in in only ten minutes at a certain temp.
I’m with you, 24 hours would be about the limit bc of hypothermia, imo. Again, I’m no med’ expert.
All moo.
We're at the point here right now where frostbite can happen within 30 minutes, but parts of last week it could have taken 5-10 minutes depending on exactly where you were. I just hope the searchers (and dogs) stay warm enough out there, and that she's found soon - one way or the other. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper