ACTIVE SEARCH SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dennard and three other children were being supervised by two staff members when one of the other children ran away, Colson said. As a staffer ran after that child, Dennard then took off herself. Because the remaining staffer was still supervising two other children, they stayed put and called for help rather than follow Dennard.

UPDATE: Missing girl ran away from staff
This happens, it truly does, and as hard as workers try to run after, sometimes those children are faster than lightning.

I am sitting on my hands right now before I judge ANY worker or place ANY blame on those workers. We're not talking about children at a school where most children don't take off on their teachers. As one who did this work in the past, mainly with adults- unless you have done this kind of work before and for a good period of time, you have no clue how hard it can be some days working with runners. Even with a small ratio of worker to children, you still have the other children's safety to consider, too! Many of these workers are beautiful, caring, compassionate and loving souls.

The circumstances surrounding her disappearance are very confusing.

And I wonder why the parents have not made any appearances.

From this article

Dennard is a referred child and resident of CHS.

Referred by whom??
Probably by a psychiatrist, I would imagine. Otherwise, they would place her in a foster home first, if they didn't already in the past.

This happens, it truly does, and as hard as workers try to run after, sometimes those children are faster than lightning.

I am sitting on my hands right now before I judge ANY worker or place ANY blame on those workers. We're not talking about children at a school where most children don't take off on their teachers. As one who did this work in the past, mainly with adults- unless you have done this kind of work before and for a good period of time, you have no clue how hard it can be some days working with runners. Even with a small ratio of worker to children, you still have the other children's safety to consider, too! Many of these workers are beautiful, caring, compassionate and loving souls.
I would never blame the individual workers (without evidence of abuse or neglect on his or her part which I highly doubt). The facility would be legally responsible for security measures like fencing, cameras, security guards, etc. not the poor workers! I’m sure the workers are heartbroken. I’ve never been in a facility like this but I’m perplexed at the lack of backup assistance, surveillance and security. Kids run from daycares but they have fences and cameras and a front desk.

The lapse of time between last seen and the 911 call is very troublesome.

I would never blame the individual workers (without evidence of abuse or neglect on his or her part which I highly doubt). The facility would be legally responsible for security measures like fencing, cameras, security guards, etc. not the poor workers! I’m sure the workers are heartbroken. I’ve never been in a facility like this but I’m perplexed at the lack of backup assistance, surveillance and security. Kids run from daycares but they have fences and cameras and a front desk.

So many places are no longer putting up fences. They don't want it to appear that anyone is "locked in". The Minnesota Correctional Facility Shakopee (women's prison) does not have a fence. Murders and everyone walking around outside all day. The city does not want the fence either. They rarely have escapes, if you can believe that!

The Children's Home Society is a private nonprofit that provides residential treatment and programs for children with emotional or behavioral needs, and victims of domestic violence, abuse and neglect, or other trauma. Colson said due to privacy concerns, he can't say how Dennard arrived at the facility or of which program she is part.

UPDATE: Sheriff's Office looking for couple who last saw missing girl
Yes, it is a mixed group of children from all various backgrounds, but let me assure you, not all of them were abused at home. A few had brain injuries from accidents, ADHD, mental health issues, etc along with some children that have suffered abuse. It is a mixed population, at least the rehab I worked at was. I know of no rehab that treats just one behavioral issue.

Some of the homes are for children, teens, or adults that are differently set up from the other homes on the property. They tend to put runners and violent children or adults in one of the homes set up with high security measures, small group living together, and don't get to eat in the dining room on the rehab site and have to have their meals delivered to their homes because of these behavioral issues. Not knowing Serenity's home style, I am guessing where there was 2 workers to 4 children, that she was possibly in one of these homes. At night, they have one worker up all night constantly checking their rooms with a flash light to make sure that they are sleeping, while another worker is in another room sleeping- often woken up to help the overnight awake worker if an issue comes up with a child. Breaks? Eat your lunch or dinner while at work? Grab a cup of coffee? Go to the bathroom? Ask any workers at these places- it's a rare day when you can eat your lunch or dinner when you are working with these type of behavioral problems. It does happen, but let's just say, you are not on your cell phone playing Candy Crush during your break time.

These workers are amazing, they try hard to give these children a normal and happy environment while trying to help them correct behaviors and teach social skills. Some do eventually go home, but sadly, many don't and are in these homes for the rest of their lives. Some stay there permanently with doctors and nurses there on site. Some go into group homes, if they show that they can be somewhat independent, in better control of their violent behaviors (although, even then, episodes can happen- some have even sadly gone to jail for attacking a worker or another client at the home) but can't live on their own completely.

A heartbreaking career that many end up leaving as you either get burned out quickly or it just wears on your emotionally- especially the children- so so heartbreaking!

Even with fences, they still get out. Our rehab had a fence all around. Believe me, they are like other kids, lol- where there is a will, there is a way. Teens can be difficult to find- they take in more of the environment and see ways out that we adults wouldn't dream of.

Do we know that this facility has no fencing, cameras, etc? Security guards aren't going to be any help if they are on one acre of the property and the child took off several acres away. While this doesn't happen all the time, attempts are made daily by some of these children and teens, but usually the workers are on top of them and catch them before they have a chance to flee.

We also have to take into consideration- these workers aren't paid much, and there's not a lot of money to hire a one to one ratio- which would be my idea of a perfect rehab. They do keep the ratios low, but again, if one child takes off, the other worker can't help because he or she has to stay and keep the other three children safe and stop them from running off as well. They do have protocols and training in the this so that others don't escape at the same time.

I'd say it depends on when the picture was taken. We (and they) have had some rather warm days mixed in with all of the cold and snow. It's possible that that side faces the sun, and it warmed the snow up enough for it to slide off the roof. I know I see that happen fairly often. MOO
Sorry if this caused any confusion. Somehow a quote from a different thread got mixed in there and I responded to it before noticing. Now it's too late to edit it. :oops:

This article mentions victims of domestic abuse, neglect and other trauma also.

From that article:

"Our job is to work with young kids that need help and we’re very careful about keeping track of them and where they are at all times. Unfortunately once in a while they get away from us. It’s very, very rare. I don’t remember another situation like this one where a child has been gone this long," he said.

"That's not uncommon that kids try to get away once in a while, and that's why we supervise them closely," Colson said.

Unfortunately, he is right. I admire all of the staff that came in to help search for her. My heart is breaking for them all, especially the two workers who were taking care of Serenity and the other three children yesterday- they must be beyond upset and traumatized. Believe me, no worker wants to lose a child. All the training in the world doesn't prepare you for a situation like Serenity's, where the child can't be found. Usually, they are found within minutes to an hour, hiding on the property somewhere. Saying a prayer for Serenity's safety and well being, and for the two workers that must be beyond anguish right now.

Even with fences, they still get out. Our rehab had a fence all around. Believe me, they are like other kids, lol- where there is a will, there is a way. Teens can be difficult to find- they take in more of the environment and see ways out that we adults wouldn't dream of.

Do we know that this facility has no fencing, cameras, etc? Security guards aren't going to be any help if they are on one acre of the property and the child took off several acres away. While this doesn't happen all the time, attempts are made daily by some of these children and teens, but usually the workers are on top of them and catch them before they have a chance to flee.

We also have to take into consideration- these workers aren't paid much, and there's not a lot of money to hire a one to one ratio- which would be my idea of a perfect rehab. They do keep the ratios low, but again, if one child takes off, the other worker can't help because he or she has to stay and keep the other three children safe and stop them from running off as well. They do have protocols and training in the this so that others don't escape at the same time.
Thank you for describing the efforts of these fine people who take on the job of caring for a population of children that is quite challenging...

My heart goes out to these workers!

This article mentions victims of domestic abuse, neglect and other trauma also.

Just getting caught up here. I am really sad that little Serenity hasn't been found. :(

Noting from the article above:

"By the time we could get on her trail she was out of sight," Colson said.

Colson said staff then immediately called 911 for help.

Dennard was last seen leaving the facility around 10:45 a.m. but a couple — a man and a woman in their late 20s or early 30s driving a pickup truck — saw her soon after, the Pennington County Sheriff's Office said in a news release Monday afternoon.

The couple was cutting wood near Foster Gulch and South Rockerville Road and spoke with staff from the Children's Home on Sunday between 10:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m., the release said. They may have been the last people to have seen Denard, and deputies would like to speak with the couple to determine a timeline and learn which direction Dennard was travelling in.

Dogs alerted to "areas of interest," said Tammy Stadel, team leader for Pennington County Search and Rescue. "Unfortunately, none of those leads have turned anything up for us."

Thom said while no situation is being ruled out, such as Dennard being picked up by someone driving on the road, there is no evidence she was taken by anyone.

Last edited:
Did I understand that another child ran off and then after one worker ran after the first child, Serenity ran off too? I may have missed it but what was the outcome with the first child? Were they caught/returned to the facility?

Thank you for describing the efforts of these fine people who take on the job of caring for a population of children that is quite challenging...

The problem is that after a few years working with these kids, people become so cynical and jaded. A kid starts crying about being "sick", so instead of taking a child to the ER, the protocol is to wait and see what happens, because these kids are often used to manipulation as a way of life.

The problem is that the workers are NOT medical professionals, but they are making medical decisions.

Same as a child who runs, I will almost throw this out there...that she left, in the cold, and cynically, the staff said, "She will come back when she is cold enough.". Because workers get tired of the constant drama. I bet she was gone twice as long as reported. And I would also carefully interview each of the workers again, alone, and see who blames who, and who cracks first. There may be more to this situation...

If the child is outside, the outcome won't be positive here...

The problem is that after a few years working with these kids, people become so cynical and jaded. A kid starts crying about being "sick", so instead of taking a child to the ER, the protocol is to wait and see what happens, because these kids are often used to manipulation as a way of life.

The problem is that the workers are NOT medical professionals, but they are making medical decisions.

Same as a child who runs, I will almost throw this out there...that she left, in the cold, and cynically, the staff said, "She will come back when she is cold enough.". Because workers get tired of the constant drama. I bet she was gone twice as long as reported. And I would also carefully interview each of the workers again, alone, and see who blames who, and who cracks first. There may be more to this situation...

If the child is outside, the outcome won't be positive here...

I think you have a good point that Serenity may have been gone longer than reported by the facility, whether she left at 10:45 or 11:26. I wondered the same as soon as I read that staff had talked to the couple cutting wood between 10:30 and 11:30. Why would staff from the facility be out in the woods talking to wood cutters at 10:30 if Serenity didn't escape until 10:45 at the earliest? Is the facility's story inconsistent, or is MSM misreporting information? MOO.

My pleasure, and thank you for reading. I just felt the need to defend them- I just know they are scared witless for Serenity and as one of these hard working, on the go, loving and caring workers, you do take it personally, even when the darlings are found safe and sound eventually. Yet they go back to work the next day and do it all again, out of love for the children, not the pay, I can assure everyone!

Sweet Serenity, where are you honey. Such a pretty name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RABay1735