Senate Candidate Roy Moore accused of molesting 14yo girl

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Jones’s victory in a part of the Deep South that has not elected a Democratic senator since 1992 was a dramatic repudiation of his opponent, Roy Moore, a former state judge twice removed from office. "

Been a long time...

www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/voters-head-to-the-polls-in-contentious-senate-race-in-alabama/2017/12/11/26e36b56-deb7-11e7-8679-a9728984779c_story.html?utm_term=.531466ee1355

Thanks that's what I thought. He was out in 98. So not unbelievable at all.

On Roy Moore filing a lawsuit --potentially: No one can control fully the questions asked in a deposition. I believe this would favor heavily the women who had encounters with Moore. I also think that these women would call in the women who had similar experiences but did not feel harassed or abused because it would go to pattern of behavior, Moore would be toast. He would have to admit to his behaviors. He would have to certify what he said about how he first saw his wife and answer questions as to why he was at that recital. It would bury him. His wife or Jewish lawyer couldn't save him from himself. He would have to just answer or refuse and what comes with that.

Alabama has an automatic recount if the margins are within a half-point, Jones has a full two point margin at this point. Absentee ballots have already been counted. We wait only on the military ballots, and it is not likely to make up the difference. But we shall see.

The military ballots are less than 2000, Jones won by 20,000.
If everyone in the military in Alabama voted for a child molester, he still lost.

Thanks that's what I thought. He was out in 98. So not unbelievable at all.

Thanks for the correction on the date. But we'll have to agree to disagree on how "unbelievable" it is.

The military ballots are less than 2000, Jones won by 20,000.
If everyone in the military in Alabama voted for a child molester, he still lost.

Do we know that the military is less than 2k? I was trying to figure that out. Even if they decertify 40 to 50% of the write ins and/or provisionals, I don't think he can get to the .5 threshold. I am math challenged so it was hard to figure out what would need to happen to derail a Jones in office.

Do we know that the military is less than 2k? I was trying to figure that out. Even if they decertify 40 to 50% of the write ins and/or provisionals, I don't think he can get to the .5 threshold. I am math challenged so it was hard to figure out what would need to happen to derail a Jones in office.

Jones is 20,000 votes ahead so Moore needs to find another 20,000+ votes to win. It's not possible.
That's why the Secretary of State called it, he would have fought for Moore if he could, he's worked hard for republicans to suppress the African American vote in Alabama.

In a stunning setback for the Republican Party, Democrat Doug Jones was elected Alabama’s next senator Tuesday, flipping a deeply red state after a campaign that showcased the increasing power of sexual misconduct allegations and the limits of President Trump’s political influence.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/voters-head-to-the-polls-in-contentious-senate-race-in-alabama/2017/12/11/26e36b56-deb7-11e7-8679-a9728984779c_story.html?utm_term=.531466ee1355

I would love to know what Waltzing Matilda is thinking right about now.

I would love to know what Waltzing Matilda is thinking right about now.

Been wondering the same thing. Hope she finally is able to smile and relax. W/M == my hero!

On the effect of military votes, the write-ins and a recount from The Washington Post:

"We can be confident, though, that it wouldn’t. As of May 2016, there were only about 8,700 people from Alabama serving in the armed forces. Assuming that’s held fairly steady, even 100 percent turnout from that group would account for only about 42 percent of the gap that Moore needs. Even if all of those servicemembers voted and all of them voted for Moore, Jones would still have a lead of 0.9 percentage points. Not enough.

Tapper then asked about the write-in votes. Might those somehow affect the results?

“They might, Jake,” Merrill replied, “but they might not even be impactful.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...politics:homepage/card&utm_term=.95da4cc02f62

That seems likely. If all of those ballots were thrown out, the result would be a bigger lead for Jones, not a smaller one. If you have five apples, one friend has four and a third has one, you have 50 percent of the apples. If the third friend eats his, you’ve got five of the nine remaining apples — or 56 percent of those remaining. Perhaps some of those write-in votes are for Moore, in which case they'd presumably be added to his total. But that seems unlikely."

What the heck were they thinking letting this guy run? It shouldn’t have been allowed.

I live in Australia and it is all over our news that the young girl chaser had been defeated.

I believe that the women who spoke out caused a "woke" moment for many in the state about how far their conservatism and evangelicalism could or should go. At some point, Moore was so afar from evangelical values that it was painful and laughable (except, it wasn't really funny). The election of Jones shows the hearts and minds of younger voters and voters of color who don't support party at any cost.

Best Tweet I have seen so far:

vid Martosko‏Verified account
@dmartosko
8h8 hours ago
More
Let's review why Moore lost:

Leigh Corfman
Gloria Thacker Deason
Debbie Wesson Gibson
Becky Gray
Tina Johnson
Wendy Miller
Beverly Young Nelson
Gena Richardson
Kelly Harrison Thorp

Folks didn't speak. They yelled :happydance:

Folks didn't speak. They yelled :happydance:

I admire that the women spoke up and I am relieved that the candidate was defeated. However, I'm also disappointed at how much effort it took for the vote to be so close. Several women shouted and they were heard, but....barely?

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members