Sentencing and beyond- JA General Discussion #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember 8 tracks well but by the time I got my first car at 16 (a used Galaxy 500 in bright orange lol) they were starting to be replaced with cassette tapes.

My first car was a pick up truck

"You can set my truck on fire and roll it down a hill
And I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe De Ville"

My folks live in Sugarland and got over 15 inches. I grew up in Houston on Braes Bayou and the neighborhood I grew up in has flooded. Started pouring in Corpus a couple of hours ago.

Let's see...saw Jethro Tull then Led Zepplin in 1977, Doobie Brothers too , Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, Rush, Bob Seger, Willie Nelson (every New Years Eve) ZZ Top, Def Leopard, Michael Jackson and don't tell anyone but Madonna (1990). Lots more if I can remember!

My parents were involved with the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo so I pretty much lived at the Astrodome (it's at NRG Stadium now) every year during February and March. Lots of great performers.:

I barely remember Elvis Presley there...I was like 7...
Charlie Pride
Dolly Parton,
Reba
Selena
The Highwaymen (Johnny Cash, Willie, Waylon and Kris Kristofferson)
Merle Haggard
Garth Brooks
George Strait
Blake Shelton
Beyoncé
Kiss
Taylor Swift

I missed Zep, they did a lottery for the Cleveland show and I didn't get picked (marked 'Return to Sender', such irony), missed Floyd too, which I will never forgive the heavens for. lol

Hope your folks are getting through it alright, and also hope your rains aren't as devastating. All in all though I'd rather too wet than skin-shrivellingly arid ala Arizona (see, I'm on topic!).

I missed Zep, they did a lottery for the Cleveland show and I didn't get picked (marked 'Return to Sender', such irony), missed Floyd too, which I will never forgive the heavens for. lol

Hope your folks are getting through it alright, and also hope your rains aren't as devastating. All in all though I'd rather too wet than skin-shrivellingly arid ala Arizona (see, I'm on topic!).

You must be up towards Katy....glad you made it through. I'm going to check on my folks Thursday...might take them to Bandera area to look at bluebonnets and wild flowers

Y'all are taking me down memory lane with this concert talk...

The strangest musical event I ever attended was with my dear father (he died from brain cancer almost ten years ago).

He lived music, I loved going with him to hear every kind imaginable, from Chinese opera to folk to classical symphonies, and once....to the world premiere in DC of an avante garde "symphony."

The thing was called "sounds of a city" or some such, and the audience was very intellectual and very very serious. It was godawful. Individual performers would wander onto the stage, screech (literally) on a violin and walk off, or clash a cymbal and walk off, like that, and in between, absolute silence, including in the audience.

About 15-20 minutes in, it occurred to me for some reason that maybe the composer meant the thing to be humorous, and I laughed inside , just a little, at how ridiculous the seriousness of the audience was, especially if by chance the thing was SUPPOSED to be funny, which of course all the sudden it was. Totally, hilariously funny. I tried not to laugh out loud. Pinched myself, shifted in my seat, even tried to think sad thoughts because my inability to hold it in was dire, and then that was funny and I laughed.

My dear father shot me a grow up look, his big thick gray eyebrows rising up into his wrinkled in consternation forehead, and that really did it. I laughed a laugh so loud I'm afraid I probably drowned out the performer on stage screeching on his violin.

And then, and then my father starting laughing. Hard, as uncontrollably as I was, and nothing, not the tidal wave of sssshhhs pouring over us from every direction, not the cymbals banging, not even the fear we both had, as we shared a few minutes later, in the lobby where we had fled, that the composer was there in the audience, feeling mocked or angry.

In retrospect, if the composer was there he likely wrote us off as unappreciative oafs. Though....I still think it's possible, if not very probable, that maybe he was grateful that at least two in his audience understood he meant the thing to be satire. And for the audience to laugh.

You tell such great stories, Hope, so incredibly visual. :)

Not too far from Bear Creek Park, Tex.

I remember 8 tracks well but by the time I got my first car at 16 (a used Galaxy 500 in bright orange lol) they were starting to be replaced with cassette tapes.

Your first car had a cassette player in it? A veritable luxury car. Age 16 for me too, a used, forest green, semiautomatic (shift, but no clutch pedal) VW bug I named Happy Running Tree. No 8 track, no cassette player, no radio, just me singing out of tune. ;)

The borderline who is my grandsons mother is the same way. Few female friends. Uses her looks and superficial charm to get what she wants/needs from men. Once she got into the CPS system she ran up against women who saw right through her. A lady judge took her son from her and gave him to my son. She finally found herself in a situation she couldn't manipulate her way out of. No tears or wild stories moved these ladies a bit. They saw through her and the web of lies she had spun.

I have to say, women were not more apt to catch on - my own personal experience(s). I think people with BPD feel safer to target a certain type of person. Perhaps when you're at work, there is a certain quiet that no one quite has time to acknowledge such sneaking behaviors in general...

I could NEVER get anyone I worked with to admonish/recognize my stalker(s) for whom tthey were (two incidents I'll never forget).

Pathological liars they are. NOBODY catches on, and they were manipulative enough to 'friend' anyone I tried to explain my situation to. Any formal complaint was methodically turned around so that *I* appeared the callous and 'rude' person who 'mistreated' the 'poor' eavesdropper. I'm a fairly reserved person, perhaps I triggered these two crazies in some way... Essentially, I was spied upon 'in secrecy' (and often mimicked during/after any socially engaging moments with others around me) without the comfort of being able to take such a sneaky form of harassment (mental sabotage, quite honestly) to anyone with any intention to rectify the psychological subterfuge. Both instances, ignoring the person, made the situation slightly worse as they took the distance to further approach my associates (one of the girls sent me 'parody emails' after I went to the manager out of sheer stress one day). Long story short, the manager was quick to cajole her months later after she complained I was making up the slight matter of her passing by my office, staring dead-straight at me with every pass, mouth and eyes wide-eyes open in anticipation as to how I would take such antics (not a single glance was cast to my co-worker, sitting opposite myself).

Basically, I overheard the manager express her sentiments along the lines one day, that after consideration, she felt the girl was innocent of any wrongdoing (I was most likely an unstable 'bully' or 'bit%h'?). I allowed myself to be 'cut' from that job shortly after (had a temp to perm status, luckily enough). It had been too nerve-racking an experience, and they weren't giving me the job I applied for anyway - they tried to get me to perform administrative duties which I wanted to no part as they never even considered to ask me).

Regardless, I felt something was 'off' about these two BPD individuals from the beginning, something about the way they consumed my time, you only notice if you pick up on their body language (a bit abnormally preoccupied with hostility, and the eyes, quite honestly)... most people do not care to analyze or have enough contact (some sympathize, 'ooh, poor you, you have to deal with backlash from your behavior'). I was stationed too close to them, darn my luck - was stared upon, every conversation and my tone of voice were overheard/processed, eyes on me whenever within distance, I realized their actions were consistently eerily calculated, they hardly engaged in any mentally tasking workload, which only made it easier for them to be so concerned about their 'reputations' when it came to the office - they would inappropriately express their rather unbalanced thoughts to the whole office. I got the feeling the 'older' ladies were just happy someone of such considerably younger age was so engaging with them, that they got used to such behavior and didn't find it comparable to a rather subtle form of anger mismanagement instead.

I was always the closest in age to said persons... THAT suck*d. My mental capacity was beyond their emotional conception. I couldn't quite convince them to move on. Hence lies the problem all the victims go through. Convincing yourself you're not crazy and the other person to get out of your personal space - that all supposed violations upon their psyche is of their OWN doing, not YOUR'S.

Your first car had a cassette player in it? A veritable luxury car. Age 16 for me too, a used, forest green, semiautomatic (shift, but no clutch pedal) VW bug I named Happy Running Tree. No 8 track, no cassette player, no radio, just me singing out of tune. ;)
* My older sister's high school boyfriend's younger sister had one of those clutch pedal-less Vee Dub Beetles. If I remember, she said to shift gears all she had to do was lift off the gas pedal. Does that sound right?

I know today's high performance race cars (and some high-end street cars?) have what's called "shift without lift", but I highly doubt that technology started with Volkswagon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I kinda, sorta envy the people here who saw Led Zep in concert. They were one of my favorite bands back in the 70's, but I also know quite a few people were very critical of their live shows so perhaps my memory of them is better off not being skewed by a crappy show (Jimi was like that in concert, too, but I'd gladly see him no matter how he performed or who he performed with - The Experience or Band Of Gypsys). But they (Zeppelin) had some killer (KILLER!!) live tracks with "No Quarter" and "The Immigrant Song" to name but two. I swear, John Bonham could do more with a five-piece kit than anyone else I can think of. Ok, maybe Buddy Rich but without the power.

[video=youtube;RlNhD0oS5pk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlNhD0oS5pk[/video]

The strangest musical event I ever attended was with my dear father (he died from brain cancer almost ten years ago).

He lived music, I loved going with him to hear every kind imaginable, from Chinese opera to folk to classical symphonies, and once....to the world premiere in DC of an avante garde "symphony."

The thing was called "sounds of a city" or some such, and the audience was very intellectual and very very serious. It was godawful. Individual performers would wander onto the stage, screech (literally) on a violin and walk off, or clash a cymbal and walk off, like that, and in between, absolute silence, including in the audience.

About 15-20 minutes in, it occurred to me for some reason that maybe the composer meant the thing to be humorous, and I laughed inside , just a little, at how ridiculous the seriousness of the audience was, especially if by chance the thing was SUPPOSED to be funny, which of course all the sudden it was. Totally, hilariously funny. I tried not to laugh out loud. Pinched myself, shifted in my seat, even tried to think sad thoughts because my inability to hold it in was dire, and then that was funny and I laughed.

My dear father shot me a grow up look, his big thick gray eyebrows rising up into his wrinkled in consternation forehead, and that really did it. I laughed a laugh so loud I'm afraid I probably drowned out the performer on stage screeching on his violin.

And then, and then my father starting laughing. Hard, as uncontrollably as I was, and nothing, not the tidal wave of sssshhhs pouring over us from every direction, not the cymbals banging, not even the fear we both had, as we shared a few minutes later, in the lobby where we had fled, that the composer was there in the audience, feeling mocked or angry.

In retrospect, if the composer was there he likely wrote us off as unappreciative oafs. Though....I still think it's possible, if not very probable, that maybe he was grateful that at least two in his audience understood he meant the thing to be satire. And for the audience to laugh.
Was this the avante garde symphony you and your dad went to that one night?

[video=youtube;xiA6qe5S2wU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiA6qe5S2wU[/video]

Those were the days! My friends and I went to practically every concert in NYC, Passaic NJ, and anywhere else our teenage exhuberance took us We saw Bowie (twice - Ziggy then Thin White Duke), the Stones, Genesis (with Peter Gabriel),Doobie Brothers (they had two drummers for some awesome Southern rock), Led Zep (awesome in concert), ELP (Sad to hear Keith Emerson just recently committed suicide), etc. Never saw Clapton (still a goal of mine) never much like Pink Floyd except for a few songs. Those were my high school days. Yep, I remember 8 tracks. Had to be careful with them else one wrong move and there is tape everywhere!
Wasn't sophisticated enough to go see "Othello", closest I came to that was the movie version of "Romeo and Juliette".
At least I'm not staring at a 13" clear flatscreen.

I have to say, women were not more apt to catch on - my own personal experience(s). I think people with BPD feel safer to target a certain type of person. Perhaps when you're at work, there is a certain quiet that no one quite has time to acknowledge such sneaking behaviors in general...

I could NEVER get anyone I worked with to admonish/recognize my stalker(s) for whom tthey were (two incidents I'll never forget).

Pathological liars they are. NOBODY catches on, and they were manipulative enough to 'friend' anyone I tried to explain my situation to. Any formal complaint was methodically turned around so that *I* appeared the callous and 'rude' person who 'mistreated' the 'poor' eavesdropper. I'm a fairly reserved person, perhaps I triggered these two crazies in some way... Essentially, I was spied upon 'in secrecy' (and often mimicked during/after any socially engaging moments with others around me) without the comfort of being able to take such a sneaky form of harassment (mental sabotage, quite honestly) to anyone with any intention to rectify the psychological subterfuge. Both instances, ignoring the person, made the situation slightly worse as they took the distance to further approach my associates (one of the girls sent me 'parody emails' after I went to the manager out of sheer stress one day). Long story short, the manager was quick to cajole her months later after she complained I was making up the slight matter of her passing by my office, staring dead-straight at me with every pass, mouth and eyes wide-eyes open in anticipation as to how I would take such antics (not a single glance was cast to my co-worker, sitting opposite myself).

Basically, I overheard the manager express her sentiments along the lines one day, that after consideration, she felt the girl was innocent of any wrongdoing (I was most likely an unstable 'bully' or 'bit%h'?). I allowed myself to be 'cut' from that job shortly after (had a temp to perm status, luckily enough). It had been too nerve-racking an experience, and they weren't giving me the job I applied for anyway - they tried to get me to perform administrative duties which I wanted to no part as they never even considered to ask me).

Regardless, I felt something was 'off' about these two BPD individuals from the beginning, something about the way they consumed my time, you only notice if you pick up on their body language (a bit abnormally preoccupied with hostility, and the eyes, quite honestly)... most people do not care to analyze or have enough contact (some sympathize, 'ooh, poor you, you have to deal with backlash from your behavior'). I was stationed too close to them, darn my luck - was stared upon, every conversation and my tone of voice were overheard/processed, eyes on me whenever within distance, I realized their actions were consistently eerily calculated, they hardly engaged in any mentally tasking workload, which only made it easier for them to be so concerned about their 'reputations' when it came to the office - they would inappropriately express their rather unbalanced thoughts to the whole office. I got the feeling the 'older' ladies were just happy someone of such considerably younger age was so engaging with them, that they got used to such behavior and didn't find it comparable to a rather subtle form of anger mismanagement instead.

I was always the closest in age to said persons... THAT suck*d. My mental capacity was beyond their emotional conception. I couldn't quite convince them to move on. Hence lies the problem all the victims go through. Convincing yourself you're not crazy and the other person to get out of your personal space - that all supposed violations upon their psyche is of their OWN doing, not YOUR'S.

Oh the BPD I had experience definately manipulated women as well. I agree they target "types" they are more comfortable with. She even succeeded manipulating them for several months. It's just that the judges and female social workers had apparently seen women like her before and once she was caught in a lie they began to call her out on everything they could. If she said she lived a certain place...they first just asked for a lease...she presented a fake one signed by a family friend she'd manipulated into "helping"....she made a false abuse of my grandson claim against my son in order to limit sons visitation so the authorities began a new investigation. Went to where she said she lived, found out she didn't live there (she was living with her next BF who she had months prior claimed slashed her with a knife (IMO she cut herself). She immediately came up with another lie about her living with friends which was proved untrue when the worker visited in person.

Jodi was able to manipulate Travis, many of his friends, the Hughes for many months. The way she drove a wedge in between the Hughes and Travis, isolating him was sick

* My older sister's high school boyfriend's younger sister had one of those clutch pedal-less Vee Dub Beetles. If I remember, she said to shift gears all she had to do was lift off the gas pedal. Does that sound right?

I know today's high performance race cars (and some high-end street cars?) have what's called "shift without lift", but I highly doubt that technology started with Volkswagon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I kinda, sorta envy the people here who saw Led Zep in concert. They were one of my favorite bands back in the 70's, but I also know quite a few people were very critical of their live shows so perhaps my memory of them is better off not being skewed by a crappy show (Jimi was like that in concert, too, but I'd gladly see him no matter how he performed or who he performed with - The Experience or Band Of Gypsys). But they (Zeppelin) had some killer (KILLER!!) live tracks with "No Quarter" and "The Immigrant Song" to name but two. I swear, John Bonham could do more with a five-piece kit than anyone else I can think of. Ok, maybe Buddy Rich but without the power.

[video=youtube;RlNhD0oS5pk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlNhD0oS5pk[/video]

Zepplin was awesome. I also saw the Rolling Stones in New Orleans once. Quite a party afterward in The Quarter

Just paid attention to weather news for the first time in days. No wonder the talk of rain. Are you OK where you are, Geevee and Tex?

PS, TeX...the Rolling Stones in the French Quarter, N'oleans? Doesn't get much better than that. :)

Was that a John Cage concert? BTW, I know I'm a geezer too because: my first LP purchase was a Beatles 45rpm; my first boyfriend's car had an 8-track player (he was a Grand Funk Railway fan); and, a few years ago, as I was walking past my son's bedroom, I heard him playing some Moody Blues ("Tuesday Afternoon"). He later asked me about them as if MB were part of a lost civilization from waaaay long ago. Now, whenever we're together (he's since moved out), we play David Bowie.

Just paid attention to weather news for the first time in days. No wonder the talk of rain. Are you OK where you are, Geevee and Tex?

PS, TeX...the Rolling Stones in the French Quarter, N'oleans? Doesn't get much better than that. :)

I'm all good. My folks in Sugarland had water halfway up their yard but are fine. My buddy lives in their neighborhood and was checking on them throughout the day.
Geevee lives in a very affected area though...

I need to get back to New Orleans. Great food there

I'm all good. My folks in Sugarland had water halfway up their yard but are fine. My buddy lives in their neighborhood and was checking on them throughout the day.
Geevee lives in a very affected area though...

I need to get back to New Orleans. Great food there

Glad your folks are okay. My brother and family lived in the Woodlands. They moved back to Illinois about 10 years ago when he retired from HPD. He watches his old houses to see if they flood. The one never does....but the second house is closer to a waterway and all the snakes appear in the yard as they go to higher ground!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove