Sentencing and beyond- JA General Discussion #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad your folks are okay. My brother and family lived in the Woodlands. They moved back to Illinois about 10 years ago when he retired from HPD. He watches his old houses to see if they flood. The one never does....but the second house is closer to a waterway and all the snakes appear in the yard as they go to higher ground!

I was born in West Texas on the ranch but grew up and lived in Houston til five years ago. Great city but the truth is its built on a swamp. In fact, General Sam Houston used the terrain to defeat Gen. Santa Anna April 21, 1836, Texas Independence Day Gen. Houston ordered a bridge over a rain swollen bayou destroyed cutting off escape routes. Santa Anna couldn't get back across the flooding bayou, couldn't cross the San Jacinto River nor retreat through the coastal marsh to the south. The result? Texans get to live and work in a humid swamp that frequently floods.

Your first car had a cassette player in it? A veritable luxury car. Age 16 for me too, a used, forest green, semiautomatic (shift, but no clutch pedal) VW bug I named Happy Running Tree. No 8 track, no cassette player, no radio, just me singing out of tune. ;)

LOL No cassette player in my first car, I don't even remember if it had a radio, I do remember that same year my Dad giving me a reel to reel tape player with a Led Zep tape, I was fascinated something so old fashioned could play such up to date music. lol

Lots of road closures still and some bayous over here still rising but more rain has held off for the most part so far. Day 2 being stuck inside, cabin fever beginning to creep in (so forgive the following if everyone is truly sick of the pic subject).

I've mentioned before I didn't think we were seeing what we thought we were in the pant leg pic and the other night I was staring at it again from several angles, the 'arm in front of the head' is nearly transparent in the lower 'crook' portion and that twisted look near the 'upper arm' area has always bothered me greatly, I don't think that's his arm, if I can get something to show clearly to illustrate what I mean I'll post crops later.

LOL No cassette player in my first car, I don't even remember if it had a radio, I do remember that same year my Dad giving me a reel to reel tape player with a Led Zep tape, I was fascinated something so old fashioned could play such up to date music. lol

Lots of road closures still and some bayous over here still rising but more rain has held off for the most part so far. Day 2 being stuck inside, cabin fever beginning to creep in (so forgive the following if everyone is truly sick of the pic subject).

I've mentioned before I didn't think we were seeing what we thought we were in the pant leg pic and the other night I was staring at it again from several angles, the 'arm in front of the head' is nearly transparent in the lower 'crook' portion and that twisted look near the 'upper arm' area has always bothered me greatly, I don't think that's his arm, if I can get something to show clearly to illustrate what I mean I'll post crops later.

Glad you're OK, no apologies necessary-- I'm sure there's a rule somewhere that states folks trapped in cabins by rising waters have carte blanche to discuss what they will; and a huge LOL about you marvelling at antique devices playing hard rock :D

ps-- my dad had a huge collection of 78's, which he played until his antique record player broke and couldn't be replaced, at which point he paid a great deal of money to have all of his 78's transferred to ......cassette tapes, lol.

* My older sister's high school boyfriend's younger sister had one of those clutch pedal-less Vee Dub Beetles. If I remember, she said to shift gears all she had to do was lift off the gas pedal. Does that sound right?

I know today's high performance race cars (and some high-end street cars?) have what's called "shift without lift", but I highly doubt that technology started with Volkswagon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I kinda, sorta envy the people here who saw Led Zep in concert. They were one of my favorite bands back in the 70's, but I also know quite a few people were very critical of their live shows so perhaps my memory of them is better off not being skewed by a crappy show (Jimi was like that in concert, too, but I'd gladly see him no matter how he performed or who he performed with - The Experience or Band Of Gypsys). But they (Zeppelin) had some killer (KILLER!!) live tracks with "No Quarter" and "The Immigrant Song" to name but two. I swear, John Bonham could do more with a five-piece kit than anyone else I can think of. Ok, maybe Buddy Rich but without the power.

[video=youtube;RlNhD0oS5pk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlNhD0oS5pk[/video]

Yep, shift while taking foot off gas pedal. After years of funky Happy Running Tree, it took a long while to adjust to having a clutch in the car that eventually replaced Unhappy Crushed Tin Can Felled and No Longer Running Tree.

Glad you're OK, no apologies necessary-- I'm sure there's a rule somewhere that states folks trapped in cabins by rising waters have carte blanche to discuss what they will; and a huge LOL about you marvelling at antique devices playing hard rock :D

ps-- my dad had a huge collection of 78's, which he played until his antique record player broke and couldn't be replaced, at which point he paid a great deal of money to have all of his 78's transferred to ......cassette tapes, lol.

Hahahaha My parents had a bunch of 78, I remember listening to Annie Get Your Gun and Gonna Wash That Man Right Outta My Hair (was that from South pacific?) way back when. I still have some cassettes but don't think any of the players work anymore.

I'm still captivated by those pics, if I can't find anything else needing doing around here I'll dive back into them.

Was that a John Cage concert? BTW, I know I'm a geezer too because: my first LP purchase was a Beatles 45rpm; my first boyfriend's car had an 8-track player (he was a Grand Funk Railway fan); and, a few years ago, as I was walking past my son's bedroom, I heard him playing some Moody Blues ("Tuesday Afternoon"). He later asked me about them as if MB were part of a lost civilization from waaaay long ago. Now, whenever we're together (he's since moved out), we play David Bowie.

LOL and I can totally relate to feeling like a displaced soul from a lost civilization when talking to my DS about many things that seem recent history to me but unfathomably long ago to him. No doubt exacerbated by the fact I was 43 when I brought him into the world and at least some of what I share with him actually did take place an unfathomably long time ago. :D

I hadn't remembered the composer's name in decades. John Cage. Yes, that's who it was (no wonder the audience was so intellectual and serious, lol). At the National Gallery of Art, and seemingly during his period of obsession with street sounds.

Sadly, I have to face the fact he did not intend his work to be humorous and the reality I am but a philistine for not appreciating his acoustic vision. :D

On the other hand, was he not of the school that art of any kind is created by the intersecting of artist and audience?

Thus, my laughter was my art, my contribution to the colloboration, my response to standing at that intersection, being assaulted by discordant, atonal, random and not unannoying "street sounds. " And after all, isn't laughter one of the noises one hears on a city's streets? ;)

#resolve to stay on topic from now on

#compassion and tolerance for those who lapse

LOL and I can totally relate to feeling like a displaced soul from a lost civilization when talking to my DS about many things that seem recent history to me but unfathomably long ago to him. No doubt exacerbated by the fact I was 43 when I brought him into the world and at least some of what I share with him actually did take place an unfathomably long time ago. :D

I hadn't remembered the composer's name in decades. John Cage. Yes, that's who it was (no wonder the audience was so intellectual and serious, lol). At the National Gallery of Art, and seemingly during his period of obsession with street sounds.

Sadly, I have to face the fact he did not intend his work to be humorous and the reality I am but a philistine for not appreciating his acoustic vision. :D

On the other hand, was he not of the school that art of any kind is created by the intersecting of artist and audience?

Thus, my laughter was my art, my contribution to the colloboration, my response to standing at that intersection, being assaulted by discordant, atonal, random and not unannoying "street sounds. " And after all, isn't laughter one of the noises one hears on a city's streets? ;)

Exactly! The aleatory music promoted by Cage and his followers promoted the role of random sounds in their performances, but the unspoken assumption that you nicely expose here was that only the "right kind" of random sound was allowed. I really enjoy experimental art, but when it starts to take itself too seriously it becomes pretentious (and as guilty of the sins that it accuses traditional art of).

Now, back to work . . .

[/B]

Exactly! The aleatory music promoted by Cage and his followers promoted the role of random sounds in their performances, but the unspoken assumption that you nicely expose here was that only the "right kind" of random sound was allowed. I really enjoy experimental art, but when it starts to take itself too seriously it becomes pretentious (and as guilty of the sins that it accuses traditional art of).

Now, back to work . . .

Just when I thought I could not possibly appreciate this forum and posters here any more than I do. :)

Sorry :offtopic: :D

My folks live in Sugarland and got over 15 inches. I grew up in Houston on Braes Bayou and the neighborhood I grew up in has flooded. Started pouring in Corpus a couple of hours ago.

Let's see...saw Jethro Tull then Led Zepplin in 1977, Doobie Brothers too , Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, Rush, Bob Seger, Willie Nelson (every New Years Eve) ZZ Top, Def Leopard, Michael Jackson and don't tell anyone but Madonna (1990). Lots more if I can remember!

My parents were involved with the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo so I pretty much lived at the Astrodome (it's at NRG Stadium now) every year during February and March. Lots of great performers.:

I barely remember Elvis Presley there...I was like 7...
Charlie Pride
Dolly Parton,
Reba
Selena
The Highwaymen (Johnny Cash, Willie, Waylon and Kris Kristofferson)
Merle Haggard
Garth Brooks
George Strait
Blake Shelton
Beyoncé
Kiss
Taylor Swift

That's a lot of country western! Love that music. Sorry for going off topic but just got here! :D
I saw the Beatles in 1964 at the Cow Palace in San Francisco
The Who at Konockti - in the 90s
Pink Floyd - early 90s at the Oakland Coliseum
AC/DC - don't recall where or when - :thinking:
Merle Haggard - the mid 80s - believe at Shoreline Theatre in Mountain View, Ca.

I think the Beatles concert turned me off in going to concerts - all that was heard were girls screaming - couldn't hear ANY music!!

Just when I thought I could not possibly appreciate this forum and posters here any more than I do. :)

I totally agree with ya!

now.... back to our regular scheduled program...

Sorry :offtopic: :D

That's a lot of country western! Love that music. Sorry for going off topic but just got here! :D
I saw the Beatles in 1964 at the Cow Palace in San Francisco
The Who at Konockti - in the 90s
Pink Floyd - early 90s at the Oakland Coliseum
AC/DC - don't recall where or when - :thinking:
Merle Haggard - the mid 80s - believe at Shoreline Theatre in Mountain View, Ca.

I think the Beatles concert turned me off in going to concerts - all that was heard were girls screaming - couldn't hear ANY music!!

I totally agree with ya!

now.... back to our regular scheduled program...

Okay I'm going to go OT here too:

I think I'm a bit younger than some folks here, but I was one of Springsteen's early followers. Got to see him at the Bayou in Georgetown, and at Shady Grove Theater-in-the-Round. That was way far away from DC for me (I didn't yet drive), so I had to PAY someone to take me there. Also, oddly enough, Springsteen's opening act there was Martin Mull. Cognitive dissonance!

In the years after that, Springsteen still played small venues. One of my favorites was/is Carter Baron Amphitheater in Rock Creek Park. Great setting and a great place acoustically for music.

Over the years, I kind of stuck with artists who played the smaller venues: Bonnie Raitt, John Prine, Little Feat, Emmylou Harris, Mary Chapin Carpenter...

Then John Hiatt, Los Lobos, Steve Earle, etc.

Even back in the day, I realized that those big stadium concerts weren't for me. Too much sensory overload to allow for enjoying the music!

Here's something for Niner and TexMex (I think?)

[video=youtube;8bsMXEOr8FQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bsMXEOr8FQ[/video]

I think I'm a bit younger than some folks here, but I was one of Springsteen's early followers. Got to see him at the Bayou in Georgetown, and at Shady Grove Theater-in-the-Round. That was way far away from DC for me (I didn't yet drive), so I had to PAY someone to take me there. Also, oddly enough, Springsteen's opening act there was Martin Mull. Cognitive dissonance!

In the years after that, Springsteen still played small venues. One of my favorites was/is Carter Baron Amphitheater in Rock Creek Park. Great setting and a great place acoustically for music.

Over the years, I kind of stuck with artists who played the smaller venues: Bonnie Raitt, John Prine, Little Feat, Emmylou Harris, Mary Chapin Carpenter...

Even back in the day, I realized that those big stadium concerts weren't for me. Too much sensory overload to allow for enjoying the music!

The stadiums.....But but but.......all those cigarette lighters lit all at once, the light shows, the thousands of folks singing familiar refrains together....the wildness of getting lost in the music, the sea of people, the moment......

For me, every kind of music has a perfect place where it should be heard. ELP and Bruce!!!!! and like that in a stadium, Emmylou outside, on a blanket.

And a piano recital--in Prague, 5 months pregnant and feeling my baby kick, in a castle, snowing falling outside, the selections by incredible kismet being among those we played at our wedding....:)

I've seen both Los Lobos and Steve Earle several times.
I'd have changed Merle Haggards tire any day.
My daughter called today with a flat. I have AAA for her but I got there first so I changed it. Her boyfriend was there soon too. After we were done, she's on her phone...the young man tells me he'd like to talk to my wife and I tomorrow night.
I've had that scared look before. I know what's coming...

The stadiums.....But but but.......all those cigarette lighters lit all at once, the light shows, the thousands of folks singing familiar refrains together....the wildness of getting lost in the music, the sea of people, the moment......

For me, every kind of music has a perfect place where it should be heard. ELP and Bruce!!!!! and like that in a stadium, Emmylou outside, on a blanket.

And a piano recital--in Prague, 5 months pregnant and feeling my baby kick, in a castle, snowing falling outside, the selections by incredible kismet being among those we played at our wedding....:)

I love all kinds of music, and it is alway great to hear it live. But as an introvert, it almost "hurt" to subject myself to those big-venue concerts -- Too many people, music too loud, etc. It just depletes me. :/

I did see Mel Torme (before Harry Anderson and "Night Court" made him popular again.) That was at Blues Alley in Georgetown. He was amazing!

I guess it all depends. I obviously prefer more intimate settings... :)

Trial Thread Journal.

April 21, 2016. We've been hanging out here every once in and awhile, telling stories, looking at pics of what Tex is having for supper, sharing concert memories, mostly because there hasn't been anything of significance to report. ;)

7th grade. Armory was a place we went dancing.
Fats Domino was there, he was awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial Thread Journal.

April 21, 2016. We've been hanging out here every once in and awhile, telling stories, looking at pics of what Tex is having for supper, sharing concert memories, mostly because there hasn't been anything of significance to report. ;)

But ya never know. The appeal should be interesting to read. I think this is another lull in the action before the drama comes back to life (perhaps to a lesser extent). Sooo, let's see what happens?

I love reading ya'alls stories even though I have no clue who some of the players are that you discuss. :facepalm: Regardless, I guess google and Y/T can be my BF. :guitar:

I'm hungry. I wish one could get a decent beef burrito in this area of the world but here they are full of rice or beans, or both. I want a nice flour tortilla filled with seasoned beef, some tomato, a little shredded lettuce, hot sauce, onion, cheese, topped with sour cream. Leave out the beans. Leave out the rice. I like both, just not in my burritos.

I would like to see what's being served at Perryville these days. It would make me feel better, I am sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rebel23