Sentencing and beyond- JA General Discussion #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you salberg7. Luckily my folks home is ok. I'm here til Saturday making sure they're ok and I brought my livestock trailer and four wheeler to help friends and neighbors move horses or whatever.

Some yahoo left their home but left their dog chained to the front porch. The sheriff was in the area on an airboat with a news crew. They saw the dog with only its head above the floodwaters. They moved the boat up to the house, found and cut the chain and put the dog into the boat. Dog seems ok. The sheriff fed her a ham sandwich his wife had sent him for lunch that day.

View attachment 95852

Awww what a sweet looking pup! I am so glad she is safe.

Sounds like sheriffs there can and do take the initiative to step out of the generic job description to help anyone in need--human or otherwise--and then go above and beyond by giving their lunch to further assist. I wish they were so inclined in my area.

(AZL was right, way back when, about a bullet being dodged in the first penalty phase of ’s trial, when JM appeared to suggest to the jury that LWOP might leave open the possibility of the being given parole after 25 years. But that aside…..)

A Juan Martinez prosecuted death penalty verdict just overturned by the Supreme Court (6-2); at issue, jury instructions about possibility of parole.

“Jurors deciding whether to sentence someone to death are entitled to be told that in Arizona the only alternative is life behind bars.”

Shawn P. Lynch v. State of Arizona

AZ Supreme Court: http://caselaw.findlaw.com/az-supreme-court/1528216.html

US Supreme Court: http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supreme-court/15-8366.html
---------------------------------------------------------

THE CASE.

Lynch and Michael Sehwani met James Panzarella in March 2001 at a Scottsdale bar. All three went to Panzarella's residence early the next morning. The victim's credit cards were used during the next two days. Panzarella was eventually found in his home tied to a chair with his throat slit.

Police also found credit card receipt from purchases made that morning at a supermarket and convenience store. Lynch and Sehwani were arrested later that day. Sehwani had Panzarella's credit cards and checks in his wallet. And in the truck and motel room he and Lynch were using they found the keys to Panzarella's car, a pistol belonging to the victim and a sweater with Panzarella's blood on it. Blood on Lynch's shoes matched the victim's DNA.

TRIAL

Lynch was convicted in 2005 on charges of first-degree murder, kidnapping, armed robbery and burglary.

At sentencing, the prosecution argued that Lynch’s potential for danger in the future warranted the death penalty, according to the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling.
Lynch’s attorney tried to argue that he was ineligible for parole and could not, therefore, pose a danger upon release.

But the judge in his case noted the possibility of release after 25 years, and denied Lynch’s request.

The Arizona Supreme Court upheld that decision in the most recent of Lynch’s two appeals.

The U.S. Supreme Court said that violated the precedent it set in a 1994 case, when it ruled that defendants must be allowed to tell jurors in death penalty cases if they are ineligible for parole.

SUPREME COURT RULING

Six of the justices of the U.S. Supreme Court said it was a mistake for a Maricopa County Superior Court judge to block the defense attorney for Shawn Patrick Lynch from telling jurors that if they did not sentence him to death that he would be sentenced to life behind bars, with no possibility of parole. Denied that information, the jurors sentenced Lynch to death.

The majority of SC justices conceded that there was a chance Lynch could be released after 25 years. But the justices said that was not enough of a possibility to let jurors think if they did not sentenced Lynch to death that he might be released.

The majority (rejected) arguments by prosecutors that a future legislature could alter the laws and once again make parole an option. The justices said that would effectively undermine the whole precedent the high court set decades ago when they first concluded that jurors need to know what are -- and are not -- the options for a judge in deciding whether to impose the death penalty.

Awww what a sweet looking pup! I am so glad she is safe.

Sounds like sheriffs there can and do take the initiative to step out of the generic job description to help anyone in need--human or otherwise--and then go above and beyond by giving their lunch to further assist. I wish they were so inclined in my area.

Troy (sheriff) is a good guy. He also saved a puppy when he served in Iraq, named it Sarge. He says owners of Archer (dog rescued named after a local reporter who was in the boat) won't get away unscathed,

Fort Bend County Sheriff Troy E. Nehls Posted:
"This is infuriating," he wrote in a post. "These residents will get a visit from me when they return."

image.jpeg

Thank you salberg7. Luckily my folks home is ok. I'm here til Saturday making sure they're ok and I brought my livestock trailer and four wheeler to help friends and neighbors move horses or whatever.

Some yahoo left their home but left their dog chained to the front porch. The sheriff was in the area on an airboat with a news crew. They saw the dog with only its head above the floodwaters. They moved the boat up to the house, found and cut the chain and put the dog into the boat. Dog seems ok. The sheriff fed her a ham sandwich his wife had sent him for lunch that day.

attachment.php

Oh, poor doggie, she almost drowned! Glad they rescued her, her owners don't deserve to get her back!!! Hope she enjoyed the ham sandwich, she looks like a sweetie.

Re:Lynch
If you read the original AZ Supreme Court ruling, the judge wasn't refusing to allow the jury to hear about LWOP. The defendant asked to waive the Life (with of release) option and have her tell the jury he would never get out if they allowed him to live. The judge said there was nothing in the law that allowed a defendant waive parole eligibilty and her jury instructions would mention both Life & LWOP because that is what the law in effect at the time of the crime stated. She offered to include “If your verdict is that Mr. Lynch should be sentenced to life . . . the court will sentence him to natural life which means Mr. Lynch would never be released from prison for his entire life” but it doesn't say what the final jury instructions were or why that phrase was not accepted.

Re:Lynch
If you read the original AZ Supreme Court ruling, the judge wasn't refusing to allow the jury to hear about LWOP. The defendant asked to waive the Life (with of release) option and have her tell the jury he would never get out if they allowed him to live. The judge said there was nothing in the law that allowed a defendant waive parole eligibilty and her jury instructions would mention both Life & LWOP because that is what the law in effect at the time of the crime stated. She offered to include “If your verdict is that Mr. Lynch should be sentenced to life . . . the court will sentence him to natural life which means Mr. Lynch would never be released from prison for his entire life” but it doesn't say what the final jury instructions were or why that phrase was not accepted.

Thanks. I skimmed the USSC decision but haven't had time to read through the Arizona COA or SC docs.

It seems like the final jury instructions and/or the DT's closings must not have been explicit about no possibility of parole, because it was that lack of instruction (coupled, perhaps, with the State's explicit claim he posed a danger if ever released?) the USSC found unconstitutional (due process rights).

PS. I'm glad you're still interested in the appellate stuff. I think aways back it was just you and me and Geevee hanging around here for a few months, waiting for the appeals process to start. :). Looks like it's going to be a long while longer.

Troy (sheriff) is a good guy. He also saved a puppy when he served in Iraq, named it Sarge. He says owners of Archer (dog rescued named after a local reporter who was in the boat) won't get away unscathed,

Fort Bend County Sheriff Troy E. Nehls Posted:
"This is infuriating," he wrote in a post. "These residents will get a visit from me when they return."

View attachment 95908

I hope that means they won't be getting her back.

OMG, that sweet dog doesn't even realize that the people she trusted left her out there to die...

She's a sweet dog GigiG
LE thinks she was left chained to porch to guard the house and water just kept rising. Pretty cold hearted to leave an animal like that. They depend on us to care for them. What if something in the water had fallen on the chain and dragged her head under.? Or a snake or gator attacked her? Plus no food.

She got a good bath at HHS

image.jpeg

She's a sweet dog GigiG
LE thinks she was left chained to porch to guard the house and water just kept rising. Pretty cold hearted to leave an animal like that. They depend on us to care for them. What if something in the water had fallen on the chain and dragged her head under.? Or a snake or gator attacked her? Plus no food.

She got a good bath at HHS

View attachment 95931

Thank goodness for those who stepped in to help her. That video brought tears to my eyes. If the timing of her rescuers had been just a little bit off, she likely would have drowned.

I know it sounds harsh, but I feel like there should be some kind of criminal charges in situations like this. Maybe just a penalty wherein those people are forbidden to ever own pets again...

If I lived in Texas I'd get in line to adopt her...

Good God! Look at how tired that little beauty was when she plopped into the boat! Her owners don't deserve her! She was so tired she couldn't lie down to rest for who knows how long. Thank Heavens she was rescued. We have a 11 1/5 y/o collie that is going through a health crisis as we speak and this Monday we are taking him in for sedation and X-rays as he has developed a limp in his right front foot. I am a nervous wreck over it because of the sedation and me not seeing him for 5 hours & leaving him there (he has never been kenneled) that I have literally been trying unsuccessfully to work harder and keep busy this week so I don't stress over it. It makes me nauseous otherwise.
Every time I hear of dog abuse I feel the owners should have to be put in the same situation their poor dog had to endure just for ten minutes so they get the point.
So happy Archer was rescued. The video of just her head above water was heartbreaking. God Bless those men!

Good God! Look at how tired that little beauty was when she plopped into the boat! Her owners don't deserve her! She was so tired she couldn't lie down to rest for who knows how long. Thank Heavens she was rescued. We have a 11 1/5 y/o collie that is going through a health crisis as we speak and this Monday we are taking him in for sedation and X-rays as he has developed a limp in his right front foot. I am a nervous wreck over it because of the sedation and me not seeing him for 5 hours & leaving him there (he has never been kenneled) that I have literally been trying unsuccessfully to work harder and keep busy this week so I don't stress over it. It makes me nauseous otherwise.
Every time I hear of dog abuse I feel the owners should have to be put in the same situation their poor dog had to endure just for ten minutes so they get the point.
So happy Archer was rescued. The video of just her head above water was heartbreaking. God Bless those men!

Good luck with your dog salberg7. Don't stress too much. Sedation is very safe. Most procedures can be done with a sedative that can be reversed as soon as they're done. Let me know what they find

Who is the 'child-killer' you refer to?

Thanks in advance

(Grits teeth) Shawna Forde. Because you asked. I use terms like and child killer instead of their names because, IMO, twisted killers forfeit the right to be accorded even that modicum of respect.

(Grits teeth) Shawna Forde. Because you asked. I use terms like and child killer instead of their names because, IMO, twisted killers forfeit the right to be accorded even that modicum of respect.

She was vent mate? The one involved in a prison feud with ? So now no death row, but the noxious punishment of life without parole with Jodi Arias? is gonna be seething 'cos someone other than she won out in a battle-to-death with JM.

Separate subject: I'm wondering if the mods could maybe make a sticky/new thread for the appeals stuff you just posted? Since now we are emphatically in appeals mode?

Just wanted to jump in and say hello! I came across this case back in January (I'm in the UK living under a rock) and have since watched the entirety of trial videos on YouTube. I followed along on the old threads here while watching, so it feels like like I've been here for a very long time already and thought I'd sign up at last.

I have a question re the Princess ' Palace - who is the child killer being referred to in Perryville? TIA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper