Sentencing and beyond- JA General Discussion #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Leaving in a few days for a just under 4 weeks, approx. 6,000 mile road trip, half of which will be just with my DS.

Our first leg is 500 or so miles, ending up in Knoxville, TN, then: Memphis; Little Rock, Arkansas; Oklahoma City, OK; Amarillo, TX; Albuquerque, NM; an extended zig zag through Utah; picking up DH in Salt Lake City....

then:. Pocatello, Idaho; Yellowstone; Grand Tetons, Wind River Range, Wyoming;, Dinosaur Ntl. Monument, Leadville, and the Great Sand Dunes, Colorado; Mesa Verde, Colorado; 4 Corners; Navajo reservation,New Mexico; Albuquerque, New Mexico, then back East via the same southern route.

I'm very familiar with the NM, Utah, Wyoming, and Colorado portion of the trip- have driven all over all those states multiple times, but know little about the route from Knoxville to the NM border.

Any suggestions for what shouldn't be missed/must be seen along that route? Great places to eat? Funky stops of whatever sort?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

My absolute fave thing I've done in a long time is near Dinosaur National Monument: petroglyphs at McConkie Ranch out of Vernal UT. I also really got into the Oregon Trail in western Nebraska: quite spectacular terrain, much to my surprise. Wackodoodle road: the Goosenecks in way south UT. Definitely Bandelier National Monument in NM, near Los Alamos; you get to scamper up ladders into cliff dwellings, and get a really good sense of how creative Native Americans were in situating their communities.

You probably know about all these, except maybe the petroglyphs.....

Have a great trip H4M! Sounds like a lot of fun! Perfect time of the year for a road trip. The weather here in Maryland has been great - I am not a fan of the 100% humidity that will be here in August.
My hubby and I always talk of renting a RV and driving cross country. I hope we get that chance soon.
No trip to Mesa? I would have to drive through if I were in that area out of pure curiosity. Still very sad that Travis can't enjoy his summers b/o that wench.
Interest in her is waning. I stopped at JAII and they had the picture of the blue BB. How disgusting & vile that is. Such poor taste and no humility whatsoever. How can people be so cruel? Beyond the pale.

WOW! Hope4More sounds like a great trip!! Never been to any of those places - but I'm sure someone here will give you some great tips! Have fun!!
yeah, Oregon coast but NO California??? :wave:

Here's something YESorNO posted over at the Sidebar:

I Did It And I'm Sorry
(What Jodi would say if she were Human

http://www.katiebuglove.com/murderer/

While in Oklahoma City you can go to Cattleman's Steakhouse. It's where the and Travis had lamb fries and I think it is on the list of 1000 places: http://www.cattlemensrestaurant.com/
(Did ya see what I did there? I kept this message on topic.) I think they have great steaks, but it is pretty 'rustic' and not a very good representation of our city. If you guys are staying in/passing by Oklahoma City, I would love to treat you and your husband to lunch or dinner.

My absolute fave thing I've done in a long time is near Dinosaur National Monument: petroglyphs at McConkie Ranch out of Vernal UT. I also really got into the Oregon Trail in western Nebraska: quite spectacular terrain, much to my surprise. Wackodoodle road: the Goosenecks in way south UT. Definitely Bandelier National Monument in NM, near Los Alamos; you get to scamper up ladders into cliff dwellings, and get a really good sense of how creative Native Americans were in situating their communities.

You probably know about all these, except maybe the petroglyphs.....

Thanks, Rickshaw. I've seen those petroglyphs on a map, but have never been. May well check them out since we'll very much be in that general area. :)

I haven't been to Bandelier either, but have been to Mesa Verde a number of times (last time with just my DS a few years back on our truly epic 12,000 mile, 22 states, 7 week, road trip tour of national parks and forests. My DS will be 14 this summer so likely to remember more of this trip, though).

Is Bandalier different enough from Mess Verde to warrant going there?

My DS has drawn the line (so far) of us driving to have a look-see at Perryville/Lumley, but there are always bribes if need be . :D.

BTW...I know just what you mean about Nebraska surprising. Even Kansas does, if one goes a bit off the beaten track.

WOW! Hope4More sounds like a great trip!! Never been to any of those places - but I'm sure someone here will give you some great tips! Have fun!!
yeah, Oregon coast but NO California??? :wave:

Here's something YESorNO posted over at the Sidebar:

I Did It And I'm Sorry
(What Jodi would say if she were Human

http://www.katiebuglove.com/murderer/

Thanks, you sweet and amazingly strong lady. :)

I was just joking about Oregon and Alaska and Winnipeg. ;) Though the northern California /southern Oregon coastline in particular is incredibly gorgeous, SLC is the furthest west we'll venture.

Most likely, anyway. The very bad wildfires out there are a wildcard (that fire in southern California looked TERRIFYING).

While in Oklahoma City you can go to Cattleman's Steakhouse. It's where the and Travis had lamb fries and I think it is on the list of 1000 places: http://www.cattlemensrestaurant.com/
(Did ya see what I did there? I kept this message on topic.) I think they have great steaks, but it is pretty 'rustic' and not a very good representation of our city. If you guys are staying in/passing by Oklahoma City, I would love to treat you and your husband to lunch or dinner.

Wow! Thank you for the steakhouse recommendation (my DS and I both LOVE steak), and for your exceptionally gracious and generous offer. :)

Not entirely sure of our schedule heading out or back, as I talked my DH into a genuine road trip, which for me means no reservations anywhere, just stopping wherever and whenever something looks interesting or fun or a great place to stay for a night or two.

(Sorry mods, but need to add a "check your PMs" here)....

Have a great trip H4M! Sounds like a lot of fun! Perfect time of the year for a road trip. The weather here in Maryland has been great - I am not a fan of the 100% humidity that will be here in August.
My hubby and I always talk of renting a RV and driving cross country. I hope we get that chance soon.
No trip to Mesa? I would have to drive through if I were in that area out of pure curiosity. Still very sad that Travis can't enjoy his summers b/o that wench.
Interest in her is waning. I stopped at JAII and they had the picture of the blue BB. How disgusting & vile that is. Such poor taste and no humility whatsoever. How can people be so cruel? Beyond the pale.

Thank you for the bon voyage. :)

Mesa? I actually thought about being the ultimate trial tourist and going to Mesa, the courthouse, then Perryville, but feel ambivalent...seems a tad ghoulish? Maybe? Though Perryville is all good if I can talk my son into it. I wouldn't dream of asking my DH to go (trip, part 2). The years of talking at him about all things wore him out a long, long, long, long, long, long time ago. ;)

PS. Will post pics here if I do go to any trial/ places.

PPS. I hope you and your DH do get the chance to RV cross country. It's an incredible adventure to have, in every way imaginable. :)

I hope you have a wonderful time on your road trip Hope, and bring back lots of pics so we can get a taste of the experience :)

Leaving in a few days for a just under 4 weeks, approx. 6,000 mile road trip, half of which will be just with my DS.

Our first leg is 500 or so miles, ending up in Knoxville, TN, then: Memphis; Little Rock, Arkansas; Oklahoma City, OK; Amarillo, TX; Albuquerque, NM; an extended zig zag through Utah; picking up DH in Salt Lake City....

then:. Pocatello, Idaho; Yellowstone; Grand Tetons, Wind River Range, Wyoming;, Dinosaur Ntl. Monument, Leadville, and the Great Sand Dunes, Colorado; Mesa Verde, Colorado; 4 Corners; Navajo reservation,New Mexico; Albuquerque, New Mexico, then back East via the same southern route.

I'm very familiar with the NM, Utah, Wyoming, and Colorado portion of the trip- have driven all over all those states multiple times, but know little about the route from Knoxville to the NM border.

Any suggestions for what shouldn't be missed/must be seen along that route? Great places to eat? Funky stops of whatever sort?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Memphis' Beale Street is a great place for some good blues music, particularly recommend Brandon Santini, he's awesome. He kicks *advertiser censored* on the harmonica. And then there's Neelys Barbeque, yum. In Amarillo there's a nice little home cooking restaurant called Calico County. They have homemade bread, which also includes cinnamon rolls to die for. They bring them before the meal, iirc. My mouth is watering as I speak. Yes forget about calorie counting, lol.

Thanks, Rickshaw. I've seen those petroglyphs on a map, but have never been. May well check them out since we'll very much be in that general area. :)

I haven't been to Bandelier either, but have been to Mesa Verde a number of times (last time with just my DS a few years back on our truly epic 12,000 mile, 22 states, 7 week, road trip tour of national parks and forests. My DS will be 14 this summer so likely to remember more of this trip, though).

Is Bandalier different enough from Mess Verde to warrant going there?

My DS has drawn the line (so far) of us driving to have a look-see at Perryville/Lumley, but there are always bribes if need be . :D.

BTW...I know just what you mean about Nebraska surprising. Even Kansas does, if one goes a bit off the beaten track.

The McConkie Ranch petroglyphs are not to be missed. The trail to them is almost the best part of the adventure. Perfect for a teenager.

IMO, Bandelier is more of an experience than Mesa Verde. MV was a lot more spectacular before a series of fires decimated all the flora, and at that point it wasn't fun to be there at all: blackened and exposed. Bandelier? Just about 5 minutes' walk from you car, you're deep into a Native American canyon. To me, Bandelier is about experiencing, MV about looking.

Thanks, you sweet and amazingly strong lady. :)

I was just joking about Oregon and Alaska and Winnipeg. ;) Though the northern California /southern Oregon coastline in particular is incredibly gorgeous, SLC is the furthest west we'll venture.

Most likely, anyway. The very bad wildfires out there are a wildcard (that fire in southern California looked TERRIFYING).

Hey Hope4More! :wave:

Thanks... Too bad about not going to the northern California coast - we used to camp up there among the redwoods - just beautiful!!

Sounds like a good trip coming your way! Have FUN with your son!

Yes, those wildfires down south are very terrifying! :eek:

Hope, just a suggestion- you should send Jodi postcards from all your destinations of the 1,000 places she'll miss, jk!

H4M regarding Mesa, I don't think it would be goulish (I would skip Perryville though) because I personally would like to see the house in scale as we know what happened there. I'd like to see the park across the street, how long it would take or her possible escape route, and think not of the horror of the site but the joy that was once there. I've never seen a "true crime" actual site.
My hubby went to college in Kansas (Emporia) and told me of the bus rides out from NY and how flat it all is for miles and miles. I went to Omaha and really enjoyed it, went to Union Station where all the GI's connected to their routes out for basic training in WW2. They has the original station with bronze figures of guys and gals sitting together waiting for the train. Then there was an old railroad engine car downstairs from the first railroad. I love US History - from the Revolution to the Frontier. My hubby is a huge WW2 buff and I got interested in WW2 from him. This nation was built by amazing people!
I am so happy you are getting an opportunity to see more of it.
But I would still go through Mesa lol...

Salberg7---You've convinced me, lol.

I'm going to make that trial-related side trip and go to Mesa at least, and maybe to Perryville. Gonna rent a car for the day and do a round-trip from Gallup, NM, leaving my DH and DS to figure out a day on their own. :)

I'll be happy to check out anything about the house and nearby park or whatever else is of interest to fellow sleuthers- just let me know.

I'll check here for suggestions over the next 2 weeks or so (will be going around July 15-17).

The McConkie Ranch petroglyphs are not to be missed. The trail to them is almost the best part of the adventure. Perfect for a teenager.

IMO, Bandelier is more of an experience than Mesa Verde. MV was a lot more spectacular before a series of fires decimated all the flora, and at that point it wasn't fun to be there at all: blackened and exposed. Bandelier? Just about 5 minutes' walk from you car, you're deep into a Native American canyon. To me, Bandelier is about experiencing, MV about looking.

Thanks again. :). Bandelier it is, time permitting.

Memphis' Beale Street is a great place for some good blues music, particularly recommend Brandon Santini, he's awesome. He kicks *advertiser censored* on the harmonica. And then there's Neelys Barbeque, yum. In Amarillo there's a nice little home cooking restaurant called Calico County. They have homemade bread, which also includes cinnamon rolls to die for. They bring them before the meal, iirc. My mouth is watering as I speak. Yes forget about calorie counting, lol.

Seriously, those suggestions read like you know me well. Blues and BBQ and homemade cinnamon buns?!? Check, check, and check. Unless we hit traffic wrong in Memphis we'll be scarfing down that BBQ, and traffic or not in Amarillo, I'm pretty sure we'll be feasting at Calico Corner. :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be posting photos on the sidebar, including one of a plateful of freshly made cinnamon buns, with any luck. :)

Seriously, those suggestions read like you know me well. Blues and BBQ and homemade cinnamon buns?!? Check, check, and check. Unless we hit traffic wrong in Memphis we'll be scarfing down that BBQ, and traffic or not in Amarillo, I'm pretty sure we'll be feasting at Calico Corner. :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be posting photos on the sidebar, including one of a plateful of freshly made cinnamon buns, with any luck. :)

I see they do still have the cinnamon rolls, eat one for me too, will ya ? :lick:

http://www.calicocountyamarillo.com/history.php

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member