Sentencing and beyond- Jodi Arias General Discussion #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope it's okay to post this here. I read this article this morning and it made me think of this case and all the social media activity of this convicted murderer.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/06/facebook-reforms-inmate-account-takedown-process

“I believe connectivity is a human right, and that if we work together we can make it a reality.”
Here’s a dose of reality: for more than four years, Facebook has been cooperating with state and federal prisons to block inmates from connecting to the networking site without reporting that cooperation in its transparency report.
Inmates typically access Facebook two ways: either they have someone on the outside manage their profiles for them or the inmates access Facebook directly through a contraband cell phone. EFF began engaging Facebook on the issue of inmate accounts in summer 2014, afteran inmate in New Mexico was sentenced to 90 days in solitary confinement because his family posted updates and photos to his Facebook account on his behalf.
Facebook representatives repeatedly told EFF that they only removed inmate profiles when they believed that inmates have violated the social network’s community standards, which are part of its Terms of Service (ToS). Specifically, Facebook pointed out that users are not allowed to have third parties access their accounts; so Facebook would suspend an inmate’s account if staff determined that a profile had been accessed by someone other than the inmate. Facebook said these measures protected the security of the user’s account. Facebook also said it treated inmate profiles involved in criminal activity or harassment in the same way it handles accounts belonging to users in the free world.

I like the EFF, but there is all kinds of crazy in that article! I hope that Mr. Zuckerberg has reconsidered his statement, for one thing. Connectivity is a privilege, IMO, and one that can be revoked (along with many other rights and privileges) when a person is in prison, convicted of a felony.

I thought about Travis yesterday and what could have been. The death of my friend, Beau Biden, brought out the same sentiments. I would have hoped that Travis would have fulfilled his dreams and achieved great things, had a family and continue to share his gifts with others.

Both of these young men's deaths were far too soon, but each in their own way has left us being better people for having "known" them.

It definitely pleads a case for pressing charges against people who overstep their boundaries with you. It's messed up and scary that there are women like Jodi Arias who kill, women like "Jackie" from the infamous Rolling Stone Magazine rape article, and infinitely more that make abuse and rape claims from women seem like crying wolf. Or that men won't press charges when they clearly are being manipulated /abused. We keep saying what if Travis would have pressed charges..... but I'm seriously looking at media now and wondering if anything substantial would have happened to Arias? What, would she have gotten a piece of paper that clearly wouldn't have held her back? I think Travis was just straight up doomed. Sadly. And I think every man who ever crossed her path is thanking whatever they believe in that they weren't him. Jmo.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

I hope it's okay to post this here. I read this article this morning and it made me think of this case and all the social media activity of this convicted murderer.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/06/facebook-reforms-inmate-account-takedown-process

I like the EFF, but there is all kinds of crazy in that article! I hope that Mr. Zuckerberg has reconsidered his statement, for one thing. Connectivity is a privilege, IMO, and one that can be revoked (along with many other rights and privileges) when a person is in prison, convicted of a felony.

From what I see in that quote from Facebook regulations, Jodi should already have been banned from Facebook for accessing Travis' accounts without authorization. This should have happened years ago.

Wow, is it still not out? I'm so curious to read this thing!

Out of curiosity (please don't read into my question, I'm only asking because I don't understand) why would they have to make up excuses? Is this report a public record?

Well, I was going with the thought that maybe they don't really want to release it for some valid reason but not the type that would give them legal right to refuse to release a document that would normally be made public. I was thinking that they might say something like charges may arise from the info in order to get away with keeping it under wraps without getting people all worked up over why it is not released. IOW, if they say nothing and simply do not release it, some citizens will start questioning why. However, if they say something hinting there might be sensitive information in the report (which needs investigating) then they can get away with not releasing it without a lot of questions from curious citizens.

What they might not realize is by now Arias is old news to most people and they probably could go ahead and release just about everything from the case and most citizens, including those who followed the trial, would probably not even check any of it out. People are busy with their lives now. It's summer, school is out, vacation time is here. Arias is in a cage where she belongs.

While inquiring minds still want to know all there is to know, I think the number of inquiring minds has dwindled significantly.

Isn't it wonderful how effectively the warden at PV has muzzled JA? Peace and quiet for the rest of the world..... I also think JA's cell assignment—as close as possible to death row, i.e. the next cell over—is a genius slapdown. If that's what it takes to get her to shut up, maybe she'll be stuck there 'til she's as good as buried.

Thanks for that link. I didn't know AZ had tried to cut off inmates from all social media access, including having others post for them online. Courts ruled against that attempt, finding it unconstitutional. Freedom of speech and all that. :)

At this point I'm convinced the silence from Perryville is at least in some part self-imposed. I'm guessing she learned the hard way from "venting" to the child-killer that seeking publicity for the time being will only make her life there more difficult.

She's already almost forgotten. Tweets and posts about her anywhere have dwindled down to a sporadic few. By the time she's allowed more privileges, who will be listening?

He is more than likely talking about that vile, demented site, you know, the one that rallies behind scum that talks about "It's in the bag" Yucky morons!!!! Angela even talks about the BS, yet she just has to include her butcheress sister. :jail:

L. Kirk Nurmi ‏@_nurmilaw · Jun 6
It is sad to see that supporters of #jodiarias are marking our most recent 6/4 as a celebratory milestone for the tragic events of 6/4/08

Angela Arias ‏@AngelaArias21 · Jun 4
Celebrating a mans death honestly makes me sick A mans life ended today as well as my big sisters! Nothing about that is right!! #jodiarias

L. Kirk Nurmi ‏@_nurmilaw · Jun 6
It is sad to see that supporters of #jodiarias are marking our most recent 6/4 as a celebratory milestone for the tragic events of 6/4/08

It's also sad that LKN chose to refer to Arias with a hash tag (which is like a reminder, or an open invitation, to follow along on Twitter). He couldn't just mention the convicted murderer by name only? I presume the twitter followers are the supporters LKN is referring to, but still... isn't a hash tag in front of your name a status symbol these days? Why even dignify her like that? Although to be honest, I despise LKN with my whole heart so he could've said just about anything and I would have a problem with it/him.

It's also sad that LKN chose to refer to Arias with a hash tag (which is like a reminder, or an open invitation, to follow along on Twitter). He couldn't just mention the convicted murderer by name only? I presume the twitter followers are the supporters LKN is referring to, but still... isn't a hash tag in front of your name a status symbol these days? Why even dignify her like that? Although to be honest, I despise LKN with my whole heart so he could've said just about anything and I would have a problem with it/him.

I'm pretty sure he wanted it caught in the twitter search for JA so all her supporters would see it, I doubt if he meant it as any sort of compliment to her (not defending him at all, yesterday I finally started watching the retrial videos and he is deeply annoying me again lol).

I'm pretty sure he wanted it caught in the twitter search for JA so all her supporters would see it, I doubt if he meant it as any sort of compliment to her (not defending him at all, yesterday I finally started watching the retrial videos and he is deeply annoying me again lol).

* Good point, "G.V." Not being a Twitterer I didn't think about it that way, but I agree w/you.

Still, that doesn't all of a sudden make Nurmi a good guy, and I certainly don't want his comments like that to skew my bias against him. lol

Jodi disgusts me, as do all her "supporters" especially the JAII site. They are a deviant bunch. BTW there is a new FB group "the Super Duper Authentic JA Defense Fund" that is IMO a satirical but factual discussion group that attempts to call out the JA supporters with ss from JAII. I find the group interesting. As for Nurmi, he is trying to rebuild his reputation & distance himself from CMJA'S trial. He has alot to redeem. As much as I abhorred his tactics during trial, I am hoping he can rehabilitate his career. He didn't choose to be her attorney, he tried several times to get out. I think the killer directed her own defense and Nurmi, by going along with it knew the killer was clearly guilty and thus consciously assured he would do his best to avoid her guilty verdict from being overturned on appeal from ineffective counsel.. I am more disappointed in Wilmott, however, because I think she fell for the killer's defense hook,line and sinker. JMO.

Jodi disgusts me, as do all her "supporters" especially the JAII site. They are a deviant bunch. BTW there is a new FB group "the Super Duper Authentic JA Defense Fund" that is IMO a satirical but factual discussion group that attempts to call out the JA supporters with ss from JAII. I find the group interesting. As for Nurmi, he is trying to rebuild his reputation & distance himself from CMJA'S trial. He has alot to redeem. As much as I abhorred his tactics during trial, I am hoping he can rehabilitate his career. He didn't choose to be her attorney, he tried several times to get out. I think the killer directed her own defense and Nurmi, by going along with it knew the killer was clearly guilty and thus consciously assured he would do his best to avoid her guilty verdict from being overturned on appeal from ineffective counsel.. I am more disappointed in Wilmott, however, because I think she fell for the killer's defense hook,line and sinker. JMO.

It is testimony to KN's disgust with JA that he made it impossible for her to have a successful appeal by filing all those egregious motions. I believe we owe hims thanks for this at least.

As for Willmott, she just wanted to get on the "domestic violence gravy train" just like the ALV gang (I've forgotten all their names, lol), despite her limited skills as an attorney and her even more limited basic education. Not to mention nonexistent ethics.

IMO Nurmi has received enough hate mail to last a lifetime, and he is trying to distance himself so fast, but not fast enough. He will be forever tied to heinous, no matter what he tries to do.

Regarding the tweet from Angela, I think she was trying to shut down the rabid JAII followers as best as she could and I give her props for that. At least she said/did something, which is more than I can say for other members of her family as far as I am aware. IMO

IMO Nurmi has received enough hate mail to last a lifetime, and he is trying to distance himself so fast, but not fast enough. He will be forever tied to heinous, no matter what he tries to do.

Regarding the tweet from Angela, I think she was trying to shut down the rabid JAII followers as best as she could and I give her props for that. At least she said/did something, which is more than I can say for other members of her family as far as I am aware. IMO

Yep, I have to hand it to Angela for at least not celebrating TA's death.

I think having a family member who is a brutal killer would be very difficult to deal with. If I were to go through that I would probably remain silent if they were guilty. On the other hand, I would scream to the rafters til I drew my last breath if my family member were wrongfully convicted.

When I think of what I might say or do if my loved one had committed a horrible crime I like to think I would say or do all the right things. Truth is, I just don't know if I would be able to hold it together at all times with all people.

I will never forget the Jessica Ridgeway murder in Colorado. The perp was a 17-year-old misfit who not only kidnapped and raped little Jessica but dismembered her and kept "souvenirs" in the crawl space of his mother's home. Soon after, his guilty conscience got the best of him and he confessed to his mother.

Mindy Sigg talked her son into doing the right thing. She phoned LE and he told them he wanted to turn himself in. The crime as reported was ugly from Day One and only got worse as details came out. But no matter what was said, no matter who spewed hatred toward the perpetator, Mindy Sigg retained her composure better that any mother of a killer I have ever seen. It was obvious her heart was breaking on every level, and she stood by her son as a mother should, but never once made excuses for what he did.

I realize not everyone has the social skills to know how to act in a horrendous situation but Angela has things more together than most in that family. I do not recall that we have heard much of anything from Carl, and I respect his right to stay quiet if he chooses to do that. When I read what Angela wrote in regard to June 4, I am not offended at all. In fact, I see in her comment a level of maturity that her own mother and aunt do not possess.

Also, there's nothing wrong with Angela mourning her sister's loss of her life. JA put herself in that situation but that should not be expected to minimize Angela's sense of loss.

All MOO.

* Good point, "G.V." Not being a Twitterer I didn't think about it that way, but I agree w/you.

Still, that doesn't all of a sudden make Nurmi a good guy, and I certainly don't want his comments like that to skew my bias against him. lol

I was thinking the same thing Wing Ding, these recent tweets of his in no way erases the wholly unnecessary and disgusting angle he used to defend her in the retrial. The limitless assassination of Travis' character will never be forgotten or made better by anything he says, on my part, anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove