Severe Weather 2013 Spring, Summer and Fall

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They said there were 7 bodies in the pool of water. There are 24 additional children still missing.

I'm listening to CNN on my TV, and KFOR local livestream.

I will pray for these babies, and I will hope for them, and for their families.

Does anyone know why/how these babies drowned?

Also, I know it's premature to talk about prevention but I don't want to forget:

As students in Locust Grove get ready to head back to the classroom this year, they'll be doing so in state-of-the-art style.
The community got its first chance Tuesday to tour the space-age school that administrators call "tornado-proof."
It looks like it belongs more on The Jetsons than in Mayes County.

Locust Grove said the domed-design cost $2.5 million less than a traditional metal building, and the district estimates the super-insulated domes will save $25,000 a year on electric costs alone.
"They're the most highly energy efficient building you can do and they're rated an F-5 tornado, so an F-5 tornado can hit this building, and it's gonna still be here," said Superintendent David Cash.
The campus can also serve as a community shelter in a worst-case scenario.
The school was built with a $4.5 million federal stimulus grant.
http://m.newson6.com/story.aspx?story=19279271&catId=112042

Much more at link including video.

It appears that there may have been a basement in the school.
They may have gone to the basement to hide.

The water pipes may have burst... or rain may have filled the basement.
They would have been trapped by debris and unable to get out.
:tears:

It appears that there may have been a basement in the school.
They may have gone to the basement to hide.

The water pipes may have burst... or rain may have filled the basement.
They would have been trapped by debris and unable to get out.
:tears:

Thank you. I guessed something like that. So they tried to keep those babies safe by taking them to a basement and they still were killed. That's damn awful.

I told hubby tonight that I will give up our swimming pool if it can be turned into a FEMA- approved storm shelter. I've lived in " Tornado Alley" all my life, like many of my fellow posters, but y'all, there's" Lucky "and then there's" Smart."
He was stunned that I would give up the pool for a permanent safety measure. We are lucky to have land for both and he sees that I'm very serious about wanting a permanent, underground shelter. Pool stays, shelter will be added ASAP. Tomorrow isn't too soon for me after this year's scares.

I REALLY don't think only having a closet in the center of our house to go to with tornadoes on the ground around us constitutes ' Smart' thinking. We've simply gotten by on " Luck". Luck runs out for most of us at some point.

Thank you. I guessed something like that. So they tried to keep those babies safe by taking them to a basement and they still were killed. That's damn awful.

That's just a preliminary guess from everyone at this point.
It doesn't make much sense that they would drowned if there wasn't a basement... ya know??

Paul Folger ‏@PaulFolger 2m
Medical Examiner confirms 20 children killed today in @cityofmoore tornado. #koco #severeweather

News 9 ‏@NEWS9 4m
UPDATE: Norman Regional has confirmed that 9-year-old Kaileigh Hawkins has been reunited with her parents! #okwx

5 year old Harrison has been found safely.
He was missing from the daycare. :woohoo:

Im checking in here from West central Missouri. We had some wind and an amazing amount of sideways rain. Our roads were rivers for about 20 minutes. Ive never seen rain come down that way, and just wash everything out of the way. I am building a deck and all the 2x6s laying in a pile were washed down across the yard. I am so thankful it was just heavy torrential rains for us. My heart goes out to Moore!
being a preschool teacher I can share our tornado safety plan. We evacuate our building. We don't have a storm shelter, but are attempting to get funding to build one. If we have a siren sound here, we load the children onto a bus, which stays at our school 24hrs a day and drive them 3 country blocks to a church with a basement. We unload the kids, and place them against an interior wall, head down touching the wall. We practice this drill several times a school year with the kids. Our last drill time was 9 minutes. That would be enough time to get them to safety in most cases. We keep a weather radio tuned in all the time. If there is an alert, we call the parents and give them the option to pick up their child if there is time. If there is a siren with no time for notification we evacuate. We train our kiddos with one word drills. If we say "code red" they file into our bathrooms and assume a silent heads down position If we say "shaker", they crawl under our dining tables for cover, "fire" they line up and leave the building, if we say "storm", they line up to be evacuated on the bus. Its amazing what a little preparation can do, these are 3-5 yr olds and every one of them understands these commands and how to respond in each scenario. We understand and appreciate that we are trusted with parents little treasures everyday, and I have no doubt any one of my coworkers would give up her own safety to protect a student.
As for animals sensing storms mine do. My dogs went nuts before the severe weather came in today, running and circling. I watch them carefully, because I think they are affected by weather more so than humans.

Are the phone lines out in OKC? I haven't been watching the news the last hour or so, taking care of family.

I've tried three different #'s to get hold of my sis and family and some go direct to voice mail and others ring and voice mail.

I'm sure they are probably ok, but ..................:please:

fran
:(

Now hearing on KFOR that the tornado has been categorized as an F5.

My heart goes out to all those who have suffered losses from this natural disaster. At the time of this post, the death toll stands at 51 and it appears that they still expect more casualties from the Plaza Towers Elementary School. There will be scores of injured and property damage will be astronomical.

The footage of the tornado was frightening...the darkness of that huge funnel must have been terrifying to see or hear. I can't imagine the deafening roar as the tornado passed.

I'm thankful I don't live in an area that is prone to tornadoes. I've been through more than my share of hurricanes, including some very, very severe ones. There is time to prepare and possibly evacuate from a hurricane, but the same cannot be said for a tornado. Especially those that form in the dead of night when people are asleep.

May God give strength to all those who have suffered as a result if this disaster. I'm sick at heart about this. Especially about the little babies.

For any who wish to know what it sounds like inside one if these things, here is a link to audio/video of the experience of people who barely survived inside a beer cooler during the devastating Joplin MO tornado. It is horrible to hear.

To set it up, a young man and his friend were driving at night when they kept getting ever more urgent tornado warnings. They pulled over into a gas station/ convenience store. Once in, one of the young men began recording on his phone and kept recording. It is astounding.

You can't see too much because it is dark but the terror of the moment builds and builds. It becomes quite loud.

Listen for the convenience store worker lady talking with someone else about where the tornado is, how close, how màny people are in the store and where to place them. You start to hear thunder booms and children crying in fear.

Then you hear the beginnings of the building shaking and breaking apart. The doors/windows blow out and everyone rushes for a beer cooler. Listen for people praying, crying, reassuring one another, wondering where their husband is or if the person they are laying on is okay and how long it will last.

It seems to go on forever. You can hear beers falling on them as they hang on for dear life. This is the most intense video I have ever "seen". It is incredibly terrifying and moving. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQnvxJZucds&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Here is an aftermath video showing where they were during the tornado. The hair will rise on the backs of your necks when you watch it. Utterly horrifying:
[video=youtube;W-P4P68YyNM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-P4P68YyNM&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Are the phone lines out in OKC? I haven't been watching the news the last hour or so, taking care of family.

I've tried three different #'s to get hold of my sis and family and some go direct to voice mail and others ring and voice mail.

fran

YES... between phone lines being down and cell phone towers being down...
Phone service is nearly impossible.
Do they have cell phones? If they do, try texting them.
It has been said to TEXT instead of calling. That will work better.

Try www.safeandwell.org as well. See if they are there?

fran

Oh Fran that's scary. We are praying for you and your family! Please keep us updated.

5 year old Harrison has been found safely.
He was missing from the daycare. :woohoo:

Oh thank God. I don't the little monkey but my throat is tightening up with happy tears just the same.

@BBCBreaking tweeted:
BBCBreaking
#Oklahoma Lieutenant Governor Todd Lamb says 20 children among the 51 confirmed dead after tornado http://t.co/KrrTklTPdj

Those 20 are included in the 51...
Hopefully this is the full child death toll.
We know for sure about 2 babies... plus the 7 at the school.
There are others at the school as well... but hopefully this is including ALL of them.

Just heard on Fox News the ME office is now awaiting 40 more victims.

This is the saddest day ever.

YES... between phone lines being down and cell phone towers being down...
Phone service is nearly impossible.
Do they have cell phones? If they do, try texting them.
It has been said to TEXT instead of calling. That will work better.

Try www.safeandwell.org as well. See if they are there?

Oh, thank you! They're not on the list. So I take that as a good sign.

My BIL works at the college. I'm not sure the name of it, but I heard earlier that they were setting up some type of center for people in need there, so he MAY be busy. That's why their land line went to voice mail, I hope!

My sis works somewhere in OKC and won't be home until Wednesday. I tried her cell and immediately got voice mail. That's why I'm thinking the line where she is is out.

I've texted my niece twice and not received a response. I'm hoping it's just the phone lines. Although, she hasn't been reliable at times responding to texts, I would think she would now. No response yet, since 1:45 PDT, which would be 3:45 there. I THINK!

Thanks again,
fran

Praying for all affected! :please:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads