Severe Weather 2013 Spring, Summer and Fall

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
CNN just had a banner at the bottom crawl that said ' we're making traffic signs because people won't know where they are'. I guess with no signs and no landmarks, ( buildings, schools, stores, etc) people really are not aware of where they are. Bizarre and scary .

I know, can you just imagine? I'd be in shock for the next few years.

Yeah, it's all just so precarious. No one can predict what will be destroyed or where is the safest place, really. All people can do is try to survive as best they can.

I felt the same way about the school at first. I think every school in tornado alley and every new building should be built with shelters and as tornado proof as possible. But it's not so easy.

Although I did post this earlier:

Locust Grove said the domed-design cost $2.5 million less than a traditional metal building, and the district estimates the super-insulated domes will save $25,000 a year on electric costs alone.
"They're the most highly energy efficient building you can do and they're rated an F-5 tornado, so an F-5 tornado can hit this building, and it's gonna still be here," said Superintendent David Cash.
The campus can also serve as a community shelter in a worst-case scenario.
The school was built with a $4.5 million federal stimulus grant.

http://www.newson6.com/story/19279271/locust-grove-unveils-new-tornado-proof-school-building

And here's more:
Round%20House%20004.jpg

http://armourh.com/about/

http://www.monolithic.com/stories/monolithic-dome-home-survives-missouri-tornado

http://www.deltechomes.com/galleries/photo-gallery/extreme-makeover/

http://www.newson6.com/story/19279271/locust-grove-unveils-new-tornado-proof-school-building

Excellent post Gitana. Wind skirts around round objects. Many times when you see the damage from storms round things will be untouched! A bowl a vase, one woman found her china dishes untouched in rubble from a tornado a few years ago. Not a dish chipped or broken but everything else destroyed.

Round buildings are also great in hurricanes too.

A few concrete reinforced small buildings in a school can make a big difference IMO. Just can't have large round buildings as large roof buildings, such as auditoriums collapse easily.

Maybe one answer to schools in tornado alley is to build small round reinforced buildings when the schools need to expand to accommodate more students.

More storms will be coming in the next few days.

Last Tuesday we had a HUGE wind storm that blew our trampoline down the road and knocked down trees, power poles, etc.

I just heard yesterday that "they" are saying it was most likely a small tornado - there was rotation noted on Doppler - but can't verify because it wasn't spotted by the naked eye. To think THAT was a tornado, a very small one (I was out in the wind when we noticed the trampoline wasn't in our yard anymore and I've never experienced anything like it), I can't even imagine what these people in OK went through with an F4. Shudder.

Tomorrow's the second anniversary of the Joplin tornado - 161 dead. Prayers for the people of Moore.

About an hour after the disaster struck Moore, the tornado sirens here in my NE OK town began wailing, like sick and deadly crows. No tornado nor any repeat of the sirens but the night ahead seemed unnaturally long. Electricity off. Much rain.

Live KFOR: PIO Moore PD

Updated information:

19 total confirmed dead

of those 7 children confirmed dead

Family members go to First Baptist Church for information

No unauthorized persons will be allowed into damage area.

Search for survivors is ongoing all day today.

Comprehensive Press Conference at Noon.

OG&E Utility spokesperson:

Draper Water Plant does not have power. Until the plant is brought back online water pressure will remain low.

Asking all customers to ration water usage until power is restored.

Expect to have the power restored by 5 pm this afternoon.

VIdeo on cnn just now of responders raising old glory a top a pile of rubble :(

Nice job guys !

North Texas (NTX) Storms
3 minutes ago
MOORE, OKLAHOMA: The state medical examiner has officially lowered the death toll in Moore from 51 to 24.

Amazing it's true. 27 more people ALIVE than we thought !

Whoopsie, wrong thread, back downstairs !

Dallas Texas...your greatest risk of tornadoes is during the rush hour coming home from work.

Tuesday, May 21

Scattered severe thunderstorms in the east half of TX, northwest LA, north MS, west TN, AR, OH, PA, west and south-central NY, lower peninsula MI, IN, south IL, south and east-central MO, west KY, southeast OK.

TOR:CON -

TX northeast - 6

AR southwest - 5
LA northwest - 5
OK southeast - 5

AR north, northeast - 4
TX central - 4

IN south - 3
IL south - 3
MO central, south - 3
TN west - 3
TX south - 3

All other severe areas 2 or less

Yes, the atmosphere is thick and soupy and disgusting.
It's clear mother nature's got a show ready.

They have been making use of thermal imagers to help locate live people in the rubble. Have found two peoplethatway so far. (Watching CBS This Morning)

:seeya::stormingmad:
makes me sad and mad the children were seeking sheklter[ their teachers as well]
to know now that the school had no storm shelter????:scared:

:seeya::stormingmad:
makes me sad and mad the children were seeking sheklter[ their teachers as well]
to know now that the school had no storm shelter????:scared:

I don't think that's true but I'm not sure. They were in the basement I believe, unless that is rumor and that is as safe as you can get in a tornado.

CNN just had a banner at the bottom crawl that said ' we're making traffic signs because people won't know where they are'. I guess with no signs and no landmarks, ( buildings, schools, stores, etc) people really are not aware of where they are. Bizarre and scary .

I've never thought if that aspect of a tornado of this magnitude. How frightening and confusing!!!

Live Press Conference: Amy Elliott, Spokesperson for Medical Examiner:

24 fatalities are confirmed, 9 of which are children

the majority of victims have been identified, no names will be released until all families have been notified

7 children victims found at the school, 2 children victims found elsewhere

the majority of victims found in the schools or homes.

13 investigators from around the state have been brought in.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/05/20/us/oklahoma-tornado-developments/index.html

Out of the 51 deaths initially reported in Monday's powerful tornado in central Oklahoma, 24 bodies have been transferred to the Oklahoma City Medical Examiner's Office, the agency said Tuesday. An update from the medical examiner was expected at 11 a.m. ET.

-- Some of the children killed at Plaza Towers Elementary School in Moore, Oklahoma, during Monday's storm drowned in a basement area there, Oklahoma Lt. Gov. Todd Lamb told CNN Tuesday morning. "My understanding, this school ... Plaza Towers, they had a basement. Quite frankly, don't mean to be graphic, but that's why some of the children drowned, because they were in the basement area," he said. Officials have said the storm killed at least seven children at the school.

-- The Oklahoma Medical Examiner's Office has been told to expect about 40 additional bodies, including about 20 children, according spokeswoman Amy Elliott. The official death toll of 51 will not rise until the bodies are processed, she said earlier. The current toll already includes at least 20 children who were killed by the storm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member