Shannan Gilbert Found, death declared an accident. #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was talk of other bones, specifically fingers,being missing as early as July 2012.

Maybe the "big story", beyond missing fingertips and toe-tips, is that the autopsy has been leaked (and for the first time). What could that mean? Do we hear a shoe dropping, with perhaps another one about to drop?

Other links

Autopsy finds no drugs in dead hooker's system, suggests she was frantically running from Long Island serial killer
By Thomas Tracy
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Thursday, December 11, 2014, 10:41 AM

[...]

The post-mortem examination raises the possibility that Shannan Gilbert, 24, was fleeing the killer on May 1, 2010, when she began wildly banging on doors in Oak Beach, L.I.

[...]

The autopsy also revealed that Gilbert’s fingers and toes were missing and that a bone was removed from her neck. While that could be significant, the autopsy noted “possible post-mortem animal activity.”

Forensic expert Mitch Holland told Newsday that the absence of drugs in the autopsy could reflect the exposure of Gilbert’s body to the elements across the 18 months before she was found.
Was she running from the Long Island serial killer? Autopsy shows NO drugs in dead hooker's body meaning she could have been the butcher's 11th victim
By James Nye for MailOnline
Published: 15:09 EST, 11 December 2014 | Updated: 15:51 EST, 11 December 2014

A long awaited autopsy on the body of a hooker whose 2010 disappearance and death exposed the Long Island serial killers victims has revealed she had no drugs in her system when she died, a report claimed on Thursday.

This raises the terrifying possibility that Shannan Gilbert, 24, might not have died in a drug fueled haze in Oak Beach as previously assumed, but may have been fleeing the serial killer as she furiously banged on doors in the neighborhood.

Indeed, if Gilbert is the 11th victim, it would mean that she wasn't running away from a client while high and didn't die in the local marshes in a stupor.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ning-butcher-s-11th-victim.html#ixzz3Ldrk72P9

Yes, this has been all over the local Long Island news. I'm not surprised, as I never believed her death was accidental.

The NY daily news article says "fingers and toes" were missing, worded in such a way that makes one think all of them were?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im not able to open the Newsday link. A few questions. Was the autopsy report leaked? Did Michael Baden do an independent autopsy on SG? Was SG laid to rest yet?

SG was frantic to get out of JB's home, right? and so I wonder what was it that happened shortly before. Is it possible that SG was partying with some drug with JB but expected something different. ie She was expecting to do cocaine or some other drug with JB but JB didn't inform her that the drug was something like heroin or meth (some drug that would cause her to freak out or she freaked out because unexpected effects on her). Would toxicology reports now be able to detect anything at this point anyway? Would they be able to tell if SG overdosed? Or is reporting that no drugs just meaningless.

Re: Missing finger tips/toes- what was on her fingertips, did SG fight off someone and get their DNA in her fingers? But then why toes? Or was it like some of the other LI victims whose bones were spread out in different areas of LI? Or was it animals? just speculating here

Why the need to call Shannon a hooker? The media has no sensitivity to her family.

If she was a school teacher, they'd of said school teacher and nobody would say a word. She was a hooker/prostitute/whatever you want to call it, that's what they said. Why is it a big deal?

If she was a school teacher, they'd of said school teacher and nobody would say a word. She was a hooker/prostitute/whatever you want to call it, that's what they said. Why is it a big deal?

"Prostitute" is the legitimate name for her profession. "Hooker" has always been a derogatory name for a prostitute. Whenever I hear the word I am always reminded of "hooker" jokes. IMO when you are using the word you are showing your disdain and marginalize their existance. I find it offensive.

Tips of several fingers and toes missing? A bone in the throat missing? And Newsday chooses "no drugs in system" as the headline? Gee willikers, I wonder if SG was murdered....ya think?
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/shannan-gilbert-autopsy-finds-no-drugs-in-her-system-1.9702739

The operative phrase you missed is the bolded bit:

detected no drugs in her system at the time of the examination

Her remains were recovered a very long time after she died. Not detecting drugs doesn't mean they were not there.

SG was frantic to get out of JB's home, right? and so I wonder what was it that happened shortly before. Is it possible that SG was partying with some drug with JB but expected something different. ie She was expecting to do cocaine or some other drug with JB but JB didn't inform her that the drug was something like heroin or meth (some drug that would cause her to freak out or she freaked out because unexpected effects on her). Would toxicology reports now be able to detect anything at this point anyway? Would they be able to tell if SG overdosed? Or is reporting that no drugs just meaningless.

Re: Missing finger tips/toes- what was on her fingertips, did SG fight off someone and get their DNA in her fingers? But then why toes? Or was it like some of the other LI victims whose bones were spread out in different areas of LI? Or was it animals? just speculating here

Because those are small pieces which animals can carry off easily.

Interesting quote from 'LongIslandPress' article stating that coroner Dr Michael Baden believes there is one killer responsible -

"Baden, who was the host of the HBO “Autopsy” series for 13 years, agrees with former Suffolk County Police Commissioner Richard Dormer’s theory that one killer dumped all 10 sets of remains. Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota has said he believes more than one killer hid bodies on the same remote stretch of beach. Baden was not immediately available for comment.

“There are lots of places to dump bodies, and I’ve investigated a number of serial murders, and I’ve never seen two different serial murders dump bodies [in the same place] at the same time,” Baden told Fox News, where he is a contributor."

Link to article : http://www.longislandpress.com/2014...mily-seeks-donations-for-funeral-2nd-autopsy/

If Tom Spota said that then you have to believe he knows more than he is saying. The questions are: What does he know and how does he know it. He just didn't pop that off from the top of his head. I have never been convinced this was the work of a serial killer as most of us define such.

If Tom Spota said that then you have to believe he knows more than he is saying. The questions are: What does he know and how does he know it. He just didn't pop that off from the top of his head. I have never been convinced this was the work of a serial killer as most of us define such.
How would you have investigated a case like this? What type of personality would you be looking for?

I would have investigated the case in the manner I guess the SCPD did, or should have. Gather up every piece of communication information that each gal had. Talk to everyone they had sex with. There surely must be a paper trail to many of the Johns.

Put constant pressure on the pimps and their gals. At least one gal, probably many more ran across one of the killer(s).

Make life as miserable as possible for some of the Oak Beach residents. Trust me the cops know who to bother The cops wanted to send me to the Holiday Inn to hook up with a prostitute. To this day I don't know if it was a scam to put me in a 'honey trap.' So they knew about the prostitution at Holiday. If they knew that more than a year before the bodies were found then they know who to talk to.

We already know there is a high ranking police officer that abuses prostitutes. We believe the SCPD screwed up the case and Spota put himself right in the middle of it when he really had no standing in the case at that time.

We also know they had a detective make up a story about the 911 call.

Interesting quote from 'LongIslandPress' article stating that coroner Dr Michael Baden believes there is one killer responsible -

"Baden, who was the host of the HBO “Autopsy” series for 13 years, agrees with former Suffolk County Police Commissioner Richard Dormer’s theory that one killer dumped all 10 sets of remains. Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota has said he believes more than one killer hid bodies on the same remote stretch of beach. Baden was not immediately available for comment.

“There are lots of places to dump bodies, and I’ve investigated a number of serial murders, and I’ve never seen two different serial murders dump bodies [in the same place] at the same time,” Baden told Fox News, where he is a contributor."

Link to article : http://www.longislandpress.com/2014...mily-seeks-donations-for-funeral-2nd-autopsy/

I wonder if Baden would consider the possibility that there are two perps if SG was murdered/OD'd that night by one perp, and another perp (of other victims) became privy to the fact that SG went missing and dumped bodies. If there were another serial killer in LI area (let's take hypothetically, J. Bittrolff who allegedly murdered two prostitutes and dumped them in Manorville). If perp became privy to the fact SG went missing (like through LE scanners/LE friends talking at bar etc), but before LE actually began their physical search for SG of the area, perp may have incentive to dispose of his bodies to attach his crimes to SG's perp. This would make sense hypothetically with someone like Bittrolff because LE discovered bodies of two women long ago, but did not attach DNA to JBittrolf at that time. So hypo he had no reason in 2010 to think LE suspected him, except he needed to dispose of more bodies, and a disposal site like Manorville would bring LE investigation closer to him/other alleged crimes. Factors like overgrowth of beach area where victims found, when LE informed SG missing, when LE publicly spoke about SG etc are essential; so may not be plausible if other evidence conflicts.

If Spota thinks it's more than one perp, I wonder if they/LE suspect mob/gang-related murders of victims. Is burlap a signature method of disposal for mob/gangs though? I hope LE has person(s) on their radar regardless. Jmo

...We also know they had a detective make up a story about the 911 call.

Hawkshaw: I never read there was any LE issue regarding made up 911 calls, only that it had taken some time for LE to get to Oak/Gilgo beach area re: Shannan. Can you direct me to where I can read in thread/publicly, or please elaborate about detective's 911 call story if possible? Tia

SG made a 23 minute call to 911. By definition such a call had to have had signs of distress. We also know she said: "someone is trying to kill me." The police have never released the tape. A SCPD Homicide Detective V.Stephan writes a letter to Newsday that stated he heard the tape and there was nothing to indicate her life was in peril, or that she was in distress.

Detectives don't write such letters to the media UNLESS they are told to do so. He retired shortly thereafter. My guess is because he was going to retire the boss asked him to do them a favor and see if he could put this pesky little item to bed.

We have since learned that in at least one person's opinion ( former Chief of Detectives Varrone ) the 23 minute phone call showed a lot of distress on the part of SG.

These are the small details that I think I notice because how know how it works and is supposed to work. I also have a pretty good idea how the SCPD works - they take the public for idiots.........and I can't say I blame them.

It suggests to me the SCPD has some pretty good ideas and suspect (s) for this case and it leads them right back home to their own nests.

Hawkshaw, do you think the site Mindwhisper accessed is legitamate? Is it possible MB knew JB? Is it possible he is responsible for the GB murders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ragnimom