Shannan Gilbert's 23 Minute 911 Call #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The 911 call is not in it's entirety.

There is no disconnect at the end.
The last thing we hear is a dispatcher trying to spell out Shannan's last name.

In one podcast (sorry, I can't remember which one since they all rushed to push out their hot hot takes), the hosts try to claim that the operators are actually discussing another call altogether while simultaneously on the phone with Shannan. They use this assertion a number of times to explain away different abnormalities in the call (the mention of a 631 telephone number, the mention of a car with a shield number).
For my purposes Im particularly highlighting when the operator says "D-O-P-E-R-T". (The podcast conveniently has no comment when the operator continues "She didn't spell it but that's what it sounded like.")
This is a laughable and truly misleading by that podcast.
The operators are STILL talking about Shannan GILBERT (which the operator heard incorrectly).
This is the last WE hear.

Do you hear a disconnect?
Go check.
Or do you hear a cessation of further audio.

We've been given constant 911 operator banter throughout this call.

Everything said in that call by responders is pertaining to Shannan.
When she is transferred to State multiple responders are working on her call.
At 9:27 a new operator is heard (maybe a supervisor).

When I first listened to the call I was furious with this particular operator. As many have commented, she sounds slow, out of it, almost like she herself is drugged.

But we know, this is not how a 911 call goes. Operators are alert and speak with urgency. At every moment of this call they are trying to find some sort of location on Shannan. They even bring up calling a 631 house phone (which when I searched came up as being a "Special Services Landline". I have no idea what that means or if it's pertinent. Maybe someone else does.)
At no point do the operators take away their attention from Shannan. So much that a second operator (older sounding, possibly more experienced) comes to assist. You can hear them talking to eachother saying "She needs help" at one point.
The operators are so much a part of this call that it becomes hard to hear what's being said because they are talking away from their headsets at some points trying to come up with a plan.
At the end of this call, a call in which an operator has said "Hello? Hello?" dozens of times, the call simply ends?

No.
No it does not and it would take a tremendous amount of suspension of disbelief to sit fine with that.

The operator that comes on at 9:27 sounds slow and groggy because the call is slowed down.
I listened to it at 1.25x speed.
What I heard at 1.25 made much more sense.
It makes the 911 operator side of the call make sense.
Instead of sounding like some woman at last call slurring "whutsssamattahhhh shaaaanaaan" the operators speak with urgency. No slurring.
(In fact alot of the slurring and incoherence is removed from both the caller and operator).
You can also hear how fast Shannan was actually running - which would account for why she was so completely out of breath by the time she gets to Colletti's. She's not yelling help me when he opens the door. She can barely get 3 words out. "I. Need. Help"
At the same time, the birds do not sound distorted (which you would assume they would if you sped it up).

The call is not in its original format.

I listened at 1.25x and it was 18 min 3 seconds long.

Where is the disconnect?

After so much of this call is dominated by operators, we don't hear them asking if Shannan's still there?
Or if she disconnected would we not hear them say that to eachother.
Remember, by the end of this call there's the original state operator plus one that seems to have sat down with her.
But not a peep from either of them. Just the end.
The call is not in its original form.
I believe @PreciousDust stated this days ago.
I'm not a sound technician so i cant tell if the speed is manipulated throughout the entire call or at what speed. It could be different speeds at different times.
That leaves multiple minutes unaccounted for.
I'm not a John Ray fan. But go back and listen to how he answers the questions about the call and ask yourself if it makes more sense within this context.
And listen to the call at different speeds.
1.25x, 1.20x, 1.18x etc.

We would've heard a "Hello? Hello? Shannan? Are you there?" and likely the operator saying that they lost the call. Not just a clean cut.

I'd very much like to know what was contained in the remaining multiple minutes of that call.

Are we sure the dispatch said car shield, or could it have been "call shield"?

Because car shield makes no sense.

Are we sure the dispatch said car shield, or could it have been "call shield"?

Because car shield makes no sense.
I'm not sure if this post is in response to my post above about the call speed being manipulated. I use the mention of the shield on a car as one of the audible parts in the call which I've heard people surmise is just the dispatchers (there are 2 trying to handle the call by this point) talking about completely unrelated calls. Hopefully that's not what you took from my post - if it is, by all means edit the shield example out.
Regarding shields, law enforcement cars display their shields in the front window of their work vehicles. Additionally, family members, close friends and officers themselves will display PBA or FOP shields in the front window of non-work vehicles. It's my understanding that's what the dispatcher is speaking about when she says "What's the shield number on the car" at 19:29.
I've not heard of call shields.

Shannan_Gilbert_911_Call_Transcription_Rough0526

I found this transcription of Shannan's 911 call on youtube.com.

It fills in a lot of audio I was unable to hear correctly.

At 3:07 Joseph Brewer says, "We were all doing all kinds of drugs"

At 5:17 an unknown male voice says, "We should want to call your neighborhood about this puppy dog (*unintelligible*)". I thought this may have been in the background at 911 headquarters, but at 5:27 an unknown male voice says, "I'll leave too", and then it's sounds like Joseph Brewer says, "Everyone go upstairs", and at 5:35 an unknown male voice says, "Please...see you soon. Take care". At 7:41 an unknown male voice says, "You don't know where you're going..."

At 13:11 Michael Pak says, "I have my gun... you wanna go to jail?"

At 13:14 Shannan says, "Mike, stop it. You guys are plotting something" and at 13:20 Michael Pak responds, "If we're plotting.. then why- why don't we all..."

In the context of the unknown male voice and Michael Pak's use of the word "all" when stating "why don't we all", one would have to conclude that there were more people in the house than Joseph Brewer, Michael Pak and Shannan Gilbert. At the very least one more male person.

Last edited:
Regarding shields,
I listened again in 3x speed and played backwards and you're right, what's the shield on the car?...1955. I frequently struggle with the LI accent and I can see that being dispatch nomenclature. I was thinking her number might have been blocked like with the *67 trick or some s.

At 5:17 an unknown male voice says, "We should want to call your neighborhood about this puppy dog (*unintelligible*)". I thought this may have been in the background at 911 headquarters, but at 5:27 an unknown male voice says, "I'll leave too", and then it's sounds like Joseph Brewer says, "Everyone go upstairs", and at 5:35 an unknown male voice says, "Please...see you soon. Take care". At 7:41 an unknown male voice says, "You don't know where you're going..."

At 13:14 Shannan says, "Mike, stop it. You guys are plotting something" and at 13:20 Michael Pak responds, "If we're plotting.. then why- why don't we all..."

In the context of the unknown male voice and Michael Pak's use of the word "all" when stating "why don't we all", one would have to conclude that there were more people in the house than Joseph Brewer, Michael Pak and Shannan Gilbert. At the very least one more male person.
At 6:35 there is an exchange about somebody's eyes initiated by Shannan saying, "Please, please Mike, Mike, pull up his eyes?" and ending at 6:53 with Michael Pak saying, "Can you open them?"

In one podcast (sorry, I can't remember which one since they all rushed to push out their hot hot takes), the hosts try to claim that the operators are actually discussing another call altogether while simultaneously on the phone with Shannan. They use this assertion a number of times to explain away different abnormalities in the call (the mention of a 631 telephone number, the mention of a car with a shield number).
For my purposes Im particularly highlighting when the operator says "D-O-P-E-R-T". (The podcast conveniently has no comment when the operator continues "She didn't spell it but that's what it sounded like.")
The operators are STILL talking about Shannan GILBERT (which the operator heard incorrectly).

Go check.

When I first listened to the call I was furious with this particular operator. As many have commented, she sounds slow, out of it, almost like she herself is drugged.

But we know, this is not how a 911 call goes. Operators are alert and speak with urgency. At every moment of this call they are trying to find some sort of location on Shannan. They even bring up calling a 631 house phone (which when I searched came up as being a "Special Services Landline". I have no idea what that means or if it's pertinent. Maybe someone else does.)
At no point do the operators take away their attention from Shannan. So much that a second operator (older sounding, possibly more experienced) comes to assist. You can hear them talking to eachother saying "She needs help" at one point.
The operators are so much a part of this call that it becomes hard to hear what's being said because they are talking away from their headsets at some points trying to come up with a plan.
At the end of this call, a call in which an operator has said "Hello? Hello?" dozens of times, the call simply ends?

No.
No it does not and it would take a tremendous amount of suspension of disbelief to sit fine with that.

The operator that comes on at 9:27 sounds slow and groggy because the call is slowed down.
Instead of sounding like some woman at last call slurring "whutsssamattahhhh shaaaanaaan" the operators speak with urgency. No slurring.
(In fact alot of the slurring and incoherence is removed from both the caller and operator).
You can also hear how fast Shannan was actually running - which would account for why she was so completely out of breath by the time she gets to Colletti's. She's not yelling help me when he opens the door. She can barely get 3 words out. "I. Need. Help"
At the same time, the birds do not sound distorted (which you would assume they would if you sped it up).

Where is the disconnect?

After so much of this call is dominated by operators, we don't hear them asking if Shannan's still there?
Remember, by the end of this call there's the original state operator plus one that seems to have sat down with her.
I'm not a sound technician so i cant tell if the speed is manipulated throughout the entire call or at what speed. It could be different speeds at different times.
I'm not a John Ray fan. But go back and listen to how he answers the questions about the call and ask yourself if it makes more sense within this context.
1.25x, 1.20x, 1.18x etc.

We would've heard a "Hello? Hello? Shannan? Are you there?" and likely the operator saying that they lost the call. Not just a clean cut.

I'd very much like to know what was contained in the remaining multiple minutes of that call.
All I can say is, wow!

I never even considered the speed of the recording, when listening to it. I am a bit of a technological idiot in some ways: when it comes to speed of recordings, is there a program specifically that we could use to speed up the recording? Is it a normal player/app most of us would have? Thanks.

I think that is a great angle, and one that never even crossed my mind. I guess if it's a small amount of tweaking to the recording speed, it wouldn't be super obvious that the speed had been changed. I'm looking forward to giving it a listen at different speeds.

I agree, I did not hear a disconnect at the end of the call. I don't understand that, why it would not be audible. Credit to @PreciousDust and yourself, if this has been pointed out.

At 6:35 there is an exchange about somebody's eyes initiated by Shannan saying, "Please, please Mike, Mike, pull up his eyes?" and ending at 6:53 with Michael Pak saying, "Can you open them?"
I listened to the version you posted, @White_Rabbit, thank you. I found it especially helpful that the different voices were color coded. I do agree with that version about a good amount of dialogue, and also other voices on there. When I first listened, I thought I heard a female voice early on that didn't appear to be Shannan, or the current 911 operator, that and another voice I didn't recognize as definitely belonging to MP or Brewer.

The biggest thing that struck me, was at mark 5.15. The "puppy dog" reference seems fairly spot on there, but I can't tell what it would be in reference to, or if it makes contextual sense. Was there a dog in the house? Reference to TC, who had a dog? Or calling Shannan or someone else a puppy dog. Can't figure that out.

All I can say is, wow!

I never even considered the speed of the recording, when listening to it. I am a bit of a technological idiot in some ways: when it comes to speed of recordings, is there a program specifically that we could use to speed up the recording? Is it a normal player/app most of us would have? Thanks.

I think that is a great angle, and one that never even crossed my mind. I guess if it's a small amount of tweaking to the recording speed, it wouldn't be super obvious that the speed had been changed. I'm looking forward to giving it a listen at different speeds.

I agree, I did not hear a disconnect at the end of the call. I don't understand that, why it would not be audible. Credit to @PreciousDust and yourself, if this has been pointed out.
Hi Bose. YouTube allows you to adjust the speed of the recording.

I'd like to hear John Ray say that the 911 call released yesterday by SCPD is an unexpurgated, unedited, unmanipulated match to the one he was provided with under court order.

I implore some intrepid reporter who has access to Mr. Ray, or anyone who has access to Mr. Ray, to ask him about it.
On the May 20th episode of Websleuths YouTube live. Mr Ray is a guest on the show and he discusses the recent police press conference among other things in regards to this case. You should watch it if you get a chance.

I listened to the version you posted, @White_Rabbit, thank you. I found it especially helpful that the different voices were color coded. I do agree with that version about a good amount of dialogue, and also other voices on there. When I first listened, I thought I heard a female voice early on that didn't appear to be Shannan, or the current 911 operator, that and another voice I didn't recognize as definitely belonging to MP or Brewer.

The biggest thing that struck me, was at mark 5.15. The "puppy dog" reference seems fairly spot on there, but I can't tell what it would be in reference to, or if it makes contextual sense. Was there a dog in the house? Reference to TC, who had a dog? Or calling Shannan or someone else a puppy dog. Can't figure that out.
I have long believed that SG was not informed that she was hired for some hardcore BDSM scene. There is a subset called puppy play, prominent with gay men, but there are others pairs like a dominant male/submissive female, so that's what I thought of when I heard "puppy dog." Here is a link: Inside the kinky world of ‘pup play’ where men act like young dogs

I too hear more men in the background of the call than just Pak and Brewer, but the quality is so poor. I hope a freelancer can clean up this audio and post it on youtube - LE could have, has the ability and money, but well....

IIRC there were no drugs found in SG's remains. JMO on the 911 call she sounds flat affect, asks no less than 23 times "Why?" and sounds drugged. GHB has a fast half life with half the drug gone in 30-60 minutes although the effects last for 1.5 to 4 hours per Wikipedia.
Compare that to other drugs like Rohypnol which has a half-life of 18 to 26 hours, or THC which can last in the fatty tissue 30 days.

Go check.

No.

Where is the disconnect?

1.25x, 1.20x, 1.18x etc.

Your post is just incredible. Thank you so much. I did not even consider that the speed has been manipulated until you mention it - is something snipped within or at the end, then a professional stretching by just a hair for the time stamp...? all so suspicious IMO.

Last edited:
I have long believed that SG was not informed that she was hired for some hardcore BDSM scene. There is a subset called puppy play, prominent with gay men, but there are others pairs like a dominant male/submissive female, so that's what I thought of when I heard "puppy dog." Here is a link: Inside the kinky world of ‘pup play’ where men act like young dogs

I too hear more men in the background of the call than just Pak and Brewer, but the quality is so poor. I hope a freelancer can clean up this audio and post it on youtube - LE could have, has the ability and money, but well....

IIRC there were no drugs found in SG's remains. JMO on the 911 call she sounds flat affect, asks no less than 23 times "Why?" and sounds drugged. GHB has a fast half life with half the drug gone in 30-60 minutes although the effects last for 1.5 to 4 hours per Wikipedia.
Compare that to other drugs like Rohypnol which has a half-life of 18 to 26 hours, or THC which can last in the fatty tissue 30 days.
While I've not been able to hear any mention of a puppy, I can say that pictures of the interior of Brewer's house have dog bowls. Which would lead me to believe a dog was present in the home.
Thank you for adding the topic of puppy play (and providing links) to this case.

I would like to put forth the fact that it takes close to 2 hours to drive from Manhattan to Oak Beach on a Friday night. It would take about 1.5 hours to drive back. That is alot of driving for one outcall to a man who allegedly called Shannan out of the blue and who alledgedly did so directly through Shannan - meaning any payment would have had to have been in cash...which Shannan would've had to what? Just trust in the honor system and say yes to close to 4 hours of travel in return for a 2 hour outcall? Brewer had a very long list of outcall workers available to choose from in his area - all of which would be within a 20-30 min eta.

And yet.

He wanted Shannan Gilbert, a sex worker 2 hours away who also happened to be scheduled to testify in a case which culminated with a year investigation utilizing wire taps and confidential informants against a man arraigned on charges of first-degree money laundering, third-degree promoting prostitution, third-degree conspiracy to promote prostitution and distribute cocaine, and first-degree leading a narcotics trafficking network.

Shannan was not in Oak Beach to wear a collar and bark.

Shannan was stuck between cooperating with the "good guys" while trying to keep up the charade of business as usual with the "bad guys".

But when the line between good guys and bad guys (law and criminality) gets blurred, someone like Shannan ends up as collateral damage.

IMO, at the time CPH made the call(s) he was in damage control mode. I think he asked if Mari heard from Shannan, etc., to already act like he didn't know anything, where she was, but he made mistakes. He was fishing IMO to see who knew what, so that he could double around later and "fix" the narrative, as needed.

I’m curious as to why the unidentified voices on the recording have not been identified by SCPD. Certainly Joseph Brewer must know everyone that were in his house that night.

While I've not been able to hear any mention of a puppy, I can say that pictures of the interior of Brewer's house have dog bowls. Which would lead me to believe a dog was present in the home.
Thank you for adding the topic of puppy play (and providing links) to this case.

I would like to put forth the fact that it takes close to 2 hours to drive from Manhattan to Oak Beach on a Friday night. It would take about 1.5 hours to drive back. That is alot of driving for one outcall to a man who allegedly called Shannan out of the blue and who alledgedly did so directly through Shannan - meaning any payment would have had to have been in cash...which Shannan would've had to what? Just trust in the honor system and say yes to close to 4 hours of travel in return for a 2 hour outcall? Brewer had a very long list of outcall workers available to choose from in his area - all of which would be within a 20-30 min eta.

And yet.

He wanted Shannan Gilbert, a sex worker 2 hours away who also happened to be scheduled to testify in a case which culminated with a year investigation utilizing wire taps and confidential informants against a man arraigned on charges of first-degree money laundering, third-degree promoting prostitution, third-degree conspiracy to promote prostitution and distribute cocaine, and first-degree leading a narcotics trafficking network.

Shannan was not in Oak Beach to wear a collar and bark.

Shannan was stuck between cooperating with the "good guys" while trying to keep up the charade of business as usual with the "bad guys".

But when the line between good guys and bad guys (law and criminality) gets blurred, someone like Shannan ends up as collateral damage.

I find this an interesting and very plausible theory.

Thank you for sharing this.

MOO.

Go check.

No.

Where is the disconnect?

1.25x, 1.20x, 1.18x etc.

So, Ray said that the recording is not 20 minutes, either?

If the original were 23 minutes and it was slowed down such that it had to be played at 1.1 times the speed to go back to the original speed, then the altered recording should be 25.3 minutes long.

If the original recording were 20 minutes, and had the be played at 1.1 speed to sound the same as the original, than the resulting altered recording would be 22 minutes long.

Was Ray suggesting about 2-3 minutes of the original was missing?

Slowing down a recording does make a person sound more intoxicated. Especially Shannan, who doesn't have a "Lon Giland" accent- The Ellenville folks generally speak more slowly.

This might be a rabbit hole unworthy of all this attention. After all, the recording as released debunks the "tragic accident" narrative whether it's altered or not. But early on, didn't the family speak of vehicle/truck sounds at the end of the tape?

Ruminations

I remember those interviews, whatever truth he may have said, I couldn't and still can't take much of what he said as trustworthy. It's very possible that he knows things involving the police, and we know there was (maybe still is) corruption. Maybe he was involved in it. But, this is a guy who interacted with Shannan, and a few hours later, she was dead. No matter what he said, how he said it, about how things went down that night, he didn't care about her or what happened to her at the time, IMO, still doesn't care, and just wants to deflect away from his role in that night.
On the 911 call you can clearly hear Brewer and Pak trying to calmly reason with someone who was irrational and paranoid. You have know way of knowing that Shannan was dead A FEW HOURS LATER.

Last edited:
You're right @MomofMaggieandZooey . I was assuming/presuming she was dead a few hours later, due to the information we have, and where her body was found. I shouldn't have done that. I should have taken my presumption out of that and instead said "missing" a few hours later. Thank you for pointing out my presumptive error.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader
Back