Sheri Coleman, sons Garett and Gavin murdered 5-5-09, Columbia, IL. Pt9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought you might be attending - glad to hear you are! It should be interesting if toxicology has info. Maybe there will be some final "nails in CC's coffin" and it will lead to him pleading out!

We shall certainly see, who knew??! It shall certainly be interesting to hear what those tox reports hold!

Hello RollinOn86,

YES! :blowkiss:

You know, we live on the left coast, and yesterday I told my husband, "What say we have a little vacation to Illinois?" I tried to tempt him with taking the daughter and grandson, so that they could peruse the state while I went to the inquest -- but he wasn't wanting to buy it.

Keep workin on him, Wrinkles!!!! Don't give up now!!!! Tell him you've been nominated to be the official secretary of facts for WS!!!!! :crazy:

Ah, you should come. There is more here than some might think. They would all have a grand time. Although right now it is HOT and HUMID, maybe the trial will be in the fall or spring, both lovely times here.

That's it...you go WLR!!! Keep workin on her!!! Maybe we can get her here yet!!! They would have a nice time!!! There's lots of things to do and see!! I'll even buy her a brand new pad of paper and a brand new pen so she can take notes!!!!! :)

I thought this was worthy of mention here, too! I can't wait to hear what was found in those reports.

While it is curious as to the about face for the CI, I do think it is only to cover all bases and give the case a second opinion on the COD. It is probable they don't want to allow anything for the defense to come back on them with later. (Not that I put great stock into IL's CI after Kathleen Savio's case tho.)

I kinda believe that's the case too, SS! They are obviously pretty confident that the jurors will be in agreement with the findings or they wouldn't be going that route since it is not a "have to".! So I think that they are basically solidifying the case for trial and as you say, they don't want to leave anything open for the defense to attack...cause they are going to seriously be grasping at anything they CAN attack! :)

Hallo gang...

ref: bereavement fund

So many questions... This AM I had a look at the CNN.com transcript of the Nancy Grace show on the 23rd June. Nicole Partin, investigative reporter, is quoted as saying:

>>Nancy, I have been raised and I live in a home where my parents are pastors. I have been to hundreds of funerals. Never have I seen an offering taken or donations taken at a funeral.<

Partin's quote reminded me of the post I made several days ago which included the following:

... At anyrate, I have NEVER been to a funeral where a collection plate was passed.

So this morning, I challenged myself -- was a bereavement offering "really" taken? What proof do we have?

Here are notes from one article:

>>Sheri Coleman&#8217;s family has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Coleman and attorney Jack Carey was contacted by the donor.

According to the donor, collection was taken by the church during funeral services for Sheri and her sons.

Carey said, &#8220;We were chagrined at this revelation of this fund and understand it is a sizeable amount. I just wonder where that money went and whether it is being used to benefit Christopher Coleman.&#8221;

Carey wants an accounting of collections taken at the church at the May 9 wake.<<

Here are notes from another article:

>>Testimony by Columbia Police Chief Joe Edwards outlining evidence against Christopher Coleman so disturbed one donor to a bereavement fund collected by the Chester church that the donor stopped payment on the check.

Belleville lawyer Jack Carey, who filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Christopher Coleman on behalf of his slain wife's family, said the donor contacted him and told him about the collection basket at the funerals. Now Carey wants an accounting of collections taken at the May 9 wake and funeral at Grace Church Ministries.<<

Actually the viewing was the 8th, the private funeral was the 9th -- if I recall correctly. The viewing and the funeral were two separate events.

I am curious... Bluenotes...your wife and friends went to the viewing, was there a service at the viewing or was it just streams of people? Were they "invited" to gift to a bereavement fund?

The above note of a "revelation of this fund and understand it is a sizeable amount" is interesting. How would anyone know this? Of course, the donor who stopped payment knew what they wrote their check for, perhaps they talked to others who mentioned what they were gifting. Either way, the question does become, "For whose benefit, and for what purpose, was this fund collected."

Hello Rosie gal,

This is encouraging news. If, as you say, he is a decent man...then I trust his wisdom in this. I questioned why he would appoint himself, but I am going to trust that he has a very good reason for doing so.

Might ask Rosie.....

Does the judge live near Waterloo? I know this district encompasses a large area.

so now money has dissappeared? I have a question, does anyone know who was going to pay for the gravestones? Is that something that Sheri's family was going to do? Or was that some of the memorial funds that the community has gathered? I have't been following that much on this since its been a bit quiet in town and around the house.

so now money has dissappeared? I have a question, does anyone know who was going to pay for the gravestones? Is that something that Sheri's family was going to do? Or was that some of the memorial funds that the community has gathered? I have't been following that much on this since its been a bit quiet in town and around the house.

I don't think it's just the "bereavement fund" that has disappeared - I think also the refi $30,000. Who knows what else is missing. I have a feeling the bereavement fund is not lost - it's just being applied to getting the killer off scott-free...JMHO.....no proof of that I might add. But as for the extra cash financed on the home - I figure that is in a joint account somewhere that CC thinks no one will be smart enough to find. Again, JMHO. Another one of my opinions is that CC is not smart enough to find his big toe in the dark using both hands..... Therefore, I'm sure LE will have exposed most of his "savings" by the time of the trial if they haven't already. Do I need to say it again......JMHO :)

Hallo gang...

ref: bereavement fund

So many questions... This AM I had a look at the CNN.com transcript of the Nancy Grace show on the 23rd June. Nicole Partin, investigative reporter, is quoted as saying:

>>Nancy, I have been raised and I live in a home where my parents are pastors. I have been to hundreds of funerals. Never have I seen an offering taken or donations taken at a funeral.<

Partin's quote reminded me of the post I made several days ago which included the following:

So this morning, I challenged myself -- was a bereavement offering "really" taken? What proof do we have?

Here are notes from one article:

>>Sheri Coleman&#8217;s family has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Coleman and attorney Jack Carey was contacted by the donor.

According to the donor, collection was taken by the church during funeral services for Sheri and her sons.

Carey said, &#8220;We were chagrined at this revelation of this fund and understand it is a sizeable amount. I just wonder where that money went and whether it is being used to benefit Christopher Coleman.&#8221;

Carey wants an accounting of collections taken at the church at the May 9 wake.<<

Here are notes from another article:

>>Testimony by Columbia Police Chief Joe Edwards outlining evidence against Christopher Coleman so disturbed one donor to a bereavement fund collected by the Chester church that the donor stopped payment on the check.

Belleville lawyer Jack Carey, who filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Christopher Coleman on behalf of his slain wife's family, said the donor contacted him and told him about the collection basket at the funerals. Now Carey wants an accounting of collections taken at the May 9 wake and funeral at Grace Church Ministries.<<

Actually the viewing was the 8th, the private funeral was the 9th -- if I recall correctly. The viewing and the funeral were two separate events.

I am curious... Bluenotes...your wife and friends went to the viewing, was there a service at the viewing or was it just streams of people? Were they "invited" to gift to a bereavement fund?

The above note of a "revelation of this fund and understand it is a sizeable amount" is interesting. How would anyone know this? Of course, the donor who stopped payment knew what they wrote their check for, perhaps they talked to others who mentioned what they were gifting. Either way, the question does become, "For whose benefit, and for what purpose, was this fund collected."

I think all of this is probably true. However, there was a rumor of someone giving 250K. I find that hard to believe UNLESS they knew they were giving to a defense fund. Who, in their right mind, would think that 1/4 million dollars was needed for funeral expenses. JMO.

I have only been to one wake where voluntary donations were accepted. A friend of mine died leaving a stay at home mom and two small children. There was a small table with envelopes at the funeral home. It was all kind of quiet, politely whispering to one another and pointing out the table, discretely. There certainly was not a collection plate passed.

Do we know then the answers are due to the subpoenas sent to RC and JM? Wouldn't they have been due by now (30 days)? What's the likelihood the info will be released before trial?

Do we know then the answers are due to the subpoenas sent to RC and JM? Wouldn't they have been due by now (30 days)? What's the likelihood the info will be released before trial?

I have the same questions!

Nic Pistor posted on the STL PD news site the other day that the 30 day time frame was a formality. If anyone needed extra time it would be given. I thought it was originally stated 28 days, (could be wrong) which would have been yesterday, I think. A BND article stated simply 'the end of this month'. I hate waiting!

Nic Pistor posted on the STL PD news site the other day that the 30 day time frame was a formality. If anyone needed extra time it would be given. I thought it was originally stated 28 days, (could be wrong) which would have been yesterday, I think. A BND article stated simply 'the end of this month'. I hate waiting!

BBM - You and me both! I really want to know what they discover. But then, there are no guarantees the info will be released....

I think all of this is probably true. However, there was a rumor of someone giving 250K. I find that hard to believe UNLESS they knew they were giving to a defense fund. Who, in their right mind, would think that 1/4 million dollars was needed for funeral expenses. JMO.

Respectfully snipped.

Could it be possible the people were lead to believe they were contributing not only to the funeral fund but to a memorial fund as well?

Hello Lajr56,

I have only been to one wake where voluntary donations were accepted. A friend of mine died leaving a stay at home mom and two small children. There was a small table with envelopes at the funeral home. It was all kind of quiet, politely whispering to one another and pointing out the table, discretely. There certainly was not a collection plate passed.

Exactly... 250K for a funeral, nopers and nope. Oh well, perhaps there was word that they were going to use this "bereavement fund" to build a small memorial building on the cemetery property (a monument wouldn't cost $250K)? I don't think so... BUT, maybe someone local can inform us if any such thing were ever mentioned. My guess is that in 4 days (May 5th to May 9th) -- CC and his family were thinking more about his hiney in the fire.

As for the collection plate, thank you -- more confirmation that this is an oddity, but perhaps others will jump in and share their experiences. Only a few have weighed in on this.

AND...a collection plate or contributions to help a "stay at home mom" and her children who has lost their support, is an entirely different scenario than "bereavement" contributions to someone who is earning 100K per year in their employment, plus with several side business which "you might guess" are bringing in income. Aside from that, the 100K would now not be needed to support a family, would it? And contributions to help bereaved grandparents? The grandparents didn't have any responsibility to handle costs, well they didn't until their son put them into that position. Now they probably have attorney costs (his and theirs), accounting costs etc. There may be a loss of employment for the grandparents now too. This is not a result of a "bereavement" due to death -- this would all be due to the criminal behavior of someone else, and yes -- a good reason for grief, but "put the cards on the table" in terms of how a bereavement fund is administered, and for what purpose.

Might ask Rosie.....

Does the judge live near Waterloo? I know this district encompasses a large area.

He lives in St Clair County, the adjoining county. I believe part of Columbia is actually in St Clair, but, could be wrong on that. At any rate, St. Clair goes very near it. JB was our county prosecutor and county board chairman before becoming a judge.

I have actually seen the envelopes near the guest book at wakes many times through the years. I have never seen a collection passed, nor, anyone appeal for the funds.

Howdy All Ya'll,

The civil suit appears to have been filed on May 26th (see top of page 21/40).

Also note from this article:
>>Carey also filed court documents Tuesday ... << (the 26th was a Tuesday)

Within the civil suit, in the documents per the respondents (JMM and RC) p. 7 of 40 and p. 14 of 40, I see:

>>Pursuant to Supreme Court Rule, you are requested to answer the
following Interrogatories under oath within twenty-eight (28) days of
service hereof;<<

I might guess that there was service of the documents on May 26th. Tuesday, June 23rd, was 28 days (calendar days). I had somewhat thought that we might hear some info on this yesterday.

Although 28 days were given, there was nothing to stop a respondent from providing their responses within a couple weeks -- had they the information at that time. Of course, the information called for was aplenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member