Sheri Coleman, sons Garett and Gavin murdered 5-5-09, Columbia, IL. Pt9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrinkles,

I asked my wife this morning and she said she did not see anyone collecting money at the visitation. There was no service, just a walk through, the caskets were closed.

Respectfully snipped.

Could it be possible the people were lead to believe they were contributing not only to the funeral fund but to a memorial fund as well?

Yes, that could be! Never thought of that. I was just going by what has been reported. 250K is a big chunk of change either way. It could build a nice memorial.

How long would it take to drive to the courthouse from the St. Louis airport?

Depends on the time of day, an hour without traffic. It would be about 40 miles.

Howdy locals to Columbia,

I've been trying to learn a bit about Julie Gummersheimer in order to give some brainstorming to this coroner's inquest thing.

I cannot find out what the qualifications are for a coroner in Monroe County. Anyone?

I also cannot find out Ms. Gummersheimer's qualifications to be coroner. Is she an MD, mortician or ? Can anyone point me to info on the web or inform me?

I did note that an independent pathologist did the autopsies Anyone have a clue on who might have been the pathologist? Did we learn their name at some point?

>>County Coroner Julie Gummersheimer said Wednesday an independent pathologist performed autopsies on the three, so an inquest isn't necessary.<<

I've been trying to learn a bit about Julie Gummersheimer in order to give some brainstorming to this coroner's inquest thing.

I cannot find out what the qualifications are for a coroner in Monroe County. Anyone?

I also cannot find out Ms. Gummersheimer's qualifications to be coroner. Is she an MD, mortician or ? Can anyone point me to info on the web or inform me?

I did note that an independent pathologist did the autopsies Anyone have a clue on who might have been the pathologist? Did we learn their name at some point?

>>County Coroner Julie Gummersheimer said Wednesday an independent pathologist performed autopsies on the three, so an inquest isn't necessary.<<

You know, I have wondered this same thing. Some friends from small towns have told me that sometimes the local sheriff can be the coroner. I am from the St. Louis side of the river so I am not sure how it is in Illinois. An article in the BND names Dr. Raj Nanduri as the pathologist who will give the final autopsy report. http://www.bnd.com/news/local/story/794373.html

I have never been clear on who actually performed the autopsies. I guess I assumed that the above mentioned pathologist did the autopsy and Dr. Baden consulted/confirmed the TOD.

I may try to go to the inquest - it depends on several factors here. How many are planning to be there? I know Rollin and daughter, Rosie, maybe Wrinkles if we can talk her into it - what a party!!

I may try to go to the inquest - it depends on several factors here. How many are planning to be there? I know Rollin and daughter, Rosie, maybe Wrinkles if we can talk her into it - what a party!!
What date and time was it to be held on, to refresh my memory?

Things may change before now and then, but the article in the Stl Post Dispatch states the following:

"Gummersheimer said she has subpoenaed only one witness for the public proceeding, Columbia Police Chief Joe Edwards."

I may have already said this, but I believe the reason only Edwards was called was to confirm that the chain of evidence was completely legitimate, so that there will be no OJ moments. The evidence, especially stuff like TOD and the spray painting, will have to be absolutely unassailable in terms of proper search and evidence-handling procedures.

Hmmm - She's the Coroner and she definitely fought hard to get the position!

BACKGROUND​
On November 5, 1996, the voters of Monroe County cast ballots to decide whether Julie Gummersheimer or Leonard DeFabio would serve as the county's next coroner. Two days later, the Monroe County canvassing board declared Gummersheimer the winner by two votes.
DeFabio then filed a petition for election contest, alleging in pertinent part that the official election results were invalid because, in violation of sections 17-9, 19-8, and 20-9 of the Election Code (10 ILCS 5/17-9, 19-8, 20-9 (West 1998)), none of the 524 ballots cast in Monroe County's second precinct were initialed by an election judge. In the second precinct, Gummersheimer received 290 votes and DeFabio received 212 votes. DeFabio asked the trial court to examine the ballots cast in the second precinct, to invalidate any ballots that were not initialed, to recount the valid ballots, and to declare DeFabio the winner of the November 6 election. Gummersheimer moved to dismiss the petition as both facially deficient and time-barred, and the trial court denied that motion.

http://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/states/Ill/88383.htm

Hello All,

Yes... LindaDanette, that info was interesting. I saw that there was a bit of a problem in that election (or the vote counting or whatever.)

So far, I could only find a Coroner/LPN next to a Julie Gummersheimer's name. I don't know how old that information is. I do know that I have seen a mortician, in one instance, to be a coroner. I just saw some fellow hoping to become a coroner (in an election) who has legal background (retired professor).

I've read some of the duties of coroners (saw the Monroe County ER plan) and it is a handful, wouldn't want the job. It appears to be a job for someone with a great deal of organizational skill, as well as other skill.

My guess is that JG may make decisions based on what she sees and has a team of people she can call upon. At anyrate, I was wondering how strong her experience is, when wondering "why the inquest." My guess is that she did a fair amount of consulting in making that decision.

Also... I'm trying to find some info on Dr. Raj Nanduri to learn about their training and experience. Can anyone find anything?

Thanks LD and Lajr56 (for finding the pathologist's name -- I thought I had seen it somewhere, but would have never found it without you.)

I think that's been reported earlier and is a fact. The type of lupus she has would be explained by this definition:

Chilblain lupus erythematosus is a chronic, unremitting form of lupus erythematosus with the fingertips, rims of ears, calves, and heels affected, especially in women.

If she had ALS she would not be mobile, and ALS doesn't cause skin damage unless it's because people can't move and get bedsores.

Thanks LD and Lajr56 (for finding the pathologist's name -- I thought I had seen it somewhere, but would have never found it without you.)

You are a good sleuther Wrinkles, must be rubbing off. I found this link

http://www.dss.mo.gov/stat/cpn.htm (child pathologist, makes sense)

The link is from St. Louis (on the Missouri side for Non Locals) I cannot find an ME/MD from Monroe County. I did however, find lots of cases that Dr. Nanduri either consulted on or testified in. Perhaps they share/borrow services because the areas are so close? Not sure.

Sorry, the first part of my post was supposed to be quoting Wrinkles.

Still a newbie, I'll use that as my excuse........slinking away in embarrassment.....sshhhh :banghead:

I think that's been reported earlier and is a fact. The type of lupus she has would be explained by this definition:

Chilblain lupus erythematosus is a chronic, unremitting form of lupus erythematosus with the fingertips, rims of ears, calves, and heels affected, especially in women.

If she had ALS she would not be mobile, and ALS doesn't cause skin damage unless it's because people can't move and get bedsores.
She would have mobility with ALS until such time as her muscles deteriorated to such a degree that would render her unable. It all depends on what stage she is in the disease. The journey of those stricken with ALS is unique to each individual and the progression varies greatly. Not wishing to argue, but having watched my father progress over a period of more than 10 years I have seen it up close and read enough of it to have some degree of knowledge.

My aunt has had lupus for at least 20 years. She's never been hospitalized for her condition than I'm aware of? But I don't know a ton about the disease, either.

My friend off-board took another look at the gravesites. Yes, the temporary markers are still there, but there are not any permanent headstones.

BBM - You and me both! I really want to know what they discover. But then, there are no guarantees the info will be released....

Nic Pistor just posted this on the STL website:

npistor June 24, 2009 9:19PM CST
Some of you have asked about the discovery in the civil case. Mr. Carey says he hasn't received anything as of today. A lawyer for Joyce Meyer says they plan to respond by Friday.

My guess is that an ME from St. Louis Medical Examiner's office did the autopsies in conjunction with the MCS. The tox report was to go to a pathologist by the name of Dr. Raj Nanduri is an assistant Medical examiner in St. Louis. http://www.bnd.com/179/story/794373.html

http://stlouis.missouri.org/citygov/comptroller/docs/2005DepartmentListings.pdf

Julie Gummersheimer is an elected coroner (and she is not a Dr.) so she's not qualified to do autopsies so it had to be done by someone who was a medical examiner. And a layperson can be elected as a coroner in most IL counties.

Julie G. was the coroner that was called to my son's accident. She also has deputy coroner's to assist if needed although I am not sure how many she has. She is qualified to do some basic testing if required and I believe she has a nursing background. Hope this helps, guys!

ETA: Looks like you guys had most of this already....sorry for the duplication! :)

But Pistor is up tonight and answering questions to the late night posters on the STLTODAY board. It is interesting information about procedure:

npistor June 24, 2009 9:55PM CST
He (Carey - civil attorney) can file that request (Motion to Compel) if they don't reply soon. and surely he will if they dont. that will be a sign that things after broken down between the attorneys. normally, they work together on this. the attorney can say "i need another few weeks" and the other attorney agrees. keep in mind, discovery isn't filed with the court. therefore, it's up to the lawyers involved if we find out what's in it.

Another:

npistor June 24, 2009 10:10PM CST
again, extensions don't normally go through the court unless a motion to compel is filed. so, it's a lawyer to lawyer thing. if, for some reason, talks between Caray and JMM break down, or he thinks he wont get the info -- then he will file motion to compel.

This was in a response to a Change of Venue question:

npistor June 24, 2009 10:55PM CST
The prosecutor goes to wherever the new venue is. and keep in mind, the venue change only applies to trial, not pre-trial.I did a story on venue changes a few years ago: http://tinyurl.com/ldvvzk

Another Pistor post about COV:

npistor June 24, 2009 11:15PM CST
If a judge isn't convinced another location would benefit jury selection -- then it can and will be denied. Keep in mind, a defendant has a right to an impartial jury -- not a jury that has never heard anything about his/her case.

OK now it's me again. For whatever reason, Nic Pistor sometimes just jumps on the posting board. I thought this info was helpful with procedure in Illinois.

But Pistor is up tonight and answering questions to the late night posters on the STLTODAY board. It is interesting information about procedure:

npistor June 24, 2009 9:55PM CST
He (Carey - civil attorney) can file that request (Motion to Compel) if they don't reply soon. and surely he will if they dont. that will be a sign that things after broken down between the attorneys. normally, they work together on this. the attorney can say "i need another few weeks" and the other attorney agrees. keep in mind, discovery isn't filed with the court. therefore, it's up to the lawyers involved if we find out what's in it.

Another:

npistor June 24, 2009 10:10PM CST
again, extensions don't normally go through the court unless a motion to compel is filed. so, it's a lawyer to lawyer thing. if, for some reason, talks between Caray and JMM break down, or he thinks he wont get the info -- then he will file motion to compel.

This was in a response to a Change of Venue question:

npistor June 24, 2009 10:55PM CST
The prosecutor goes to wherever the new venue is. and keep in mind, the venue change only applies to trial, not pre-trial.I did a story on venue changes a few years ago: http://tinyurl.com/ldvvzk

Another Pistor post about COV:

npistor June 24, 2009 11:15PM CST
If a judge isn't convinced another location would benefit jury selection -- then it can and will be denied. Keep in mind, a defendant has a right to an impartial jury -- not a jury that has never heard anything about his/her case.

OK now it's me again. For whatever reason, Nic Pistor sometimes just jumps on the posting board. I thought this info was helpful with procedure in Illinois.

Great info there, lajr56!! It's kind of nice that Pistor does that! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jayrider129