Sheriff refocuses Kyron investigation: a smaller task force will take over...

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone else catch the reference Stanton made to *homicides* when talking about reassigning investigative roles ?

Does this imply that homicides were discovered during the course of the Kyron Horman investigation ? Is this one of the things they wish they did not know ? Or are they wishing they had known earlier rather than later?

I am reading between the lines here, I know , but .......

The quote in more context:

""At this point, Staton anticipates seeking only "minimal" -- if any -- extra money from Multnomah County commissioners for the investigation. His office has absorbed the costs by scaling back in some areas, he said, and reassigning people from the felony-warrant unit, patrol division and special-investigations unit that pursues many drug-related crimes. But the office cannot continue to do that, he said.

"I've got cases that my detectives are supposed to be working on," Staton said. "They might not be homicides, but when you start talking about domestic violence, assault, that's stacking up.""

When someone uses 1 million 44 thousand dollars of the people's money, they really need to account for it. In his case, there has been no accounting nor anything to show for it. So, now he is discussing why a smaller "task force is the "fiscally responsible" strategy for continuing the investigation and bringing it to a conclusion".

To me, none of it makes any sense in relation to Kyron's case. If they are 8 to 10 people and four months away from a 'conclusion', then, it just baffles me as to what they have accomplished and what they intend to accomplish.

Its all gobbledy goop to me.

And, I don't think he is implying anything about homicides at all.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/09/new_strategy_in_kyron_horman_c.html

This is a bit OT, don't know where to post it and don't think it is worthy of a thread:

Yesterday Desiree and Kaine met with the Sheriff after their return from Chicago. Has there been any news about that here?

On the news last night it was mostly about Guise and his interview. Ta

Hi scandi. Are you sure they returned yesterday (Friday). The Oprah show aired on Thursday at 9:am here in Chicago, and usually Oprah tapes her show a day or two ahead of time, probably Wed. or Tues. Unless they had business here in Chicago, I highly doubt they stayed over a few days. Where did you hear they flew back to Portland on Friday to meet with the sheriff? TIA moo mho

However, When he did talk about their new discovery, the first words out of his mouth were "''We have uncovered some surprising details into Kyron's case", going on to say "Things that will surprise you and that you'll think about later on. Learning these things has caused great stress on the investigators. We have knowledge of things we don't want to know about ~ that we wish we didn't".

Therefore I think what they discovered related to Kyron's case. IMO

What has been posted as direct quotes from Staton is not what he said.

Here is what he actually said:

Staton: (pause) I know Im taking a long pause on that. I have to think through that answer.

I think there will be things that will come out of this investigation that will surprise you, that you'll think about later on after it's over.

These are things that I'll tell you, when you ask me about the stresses that my staff is under, and that the other detectives and agency, agency representatives here are under is that uh (pause) we have a knowledge of things that we don't want to know about (pause) and that's the only way I can answer that.

We have a knowledge of things that we wish we didn't.

Here is the raw video of the press conference to confirm that the above is what he actually said:

http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/n...ons-to-task-force/4Hpc1rxqOkKV5KZa9kIQeA.cspx

I immediately thought he meant the "shocking details" as stated by the Sheriff related to things Kyron was exposed to that no adult in their right mind would ever want to have happen to him.

BBM. Staton never used the word "shocking", or any variation thereof, in the entire press conference. This can also be confirmed in the Koin video above.

Hi scandi. Are you sure they returned yesterday (Friday). The Oprah show aired on Thursday at 9:am here in Chicago, and usually Oprah tapes her show a day or two ahead of time, probably Wed. or Tues. Unless they had business here in Chicago, I highly doubt they stayed over a few days. Where did you hear they flew back to Portland on Friday to meet with the sheriff? TIA moo mho

Hi Eyes, Well what I am sure of is last night on the local evening news they had a little spot about Kyron where they said Desiree and Kaine had met with the Sheriff. That was pretty much it. They didn't report about what was discussed. I assumed it had to be about the change to the task force since that was the only timely new thing.

So the first post I wrote when getting here was to ask if anyone knew anything more about it. I looked for a thread and there was none, thought ab out starting one and didn't know if it would be justified or not.

If I wrote they flew back I would have to have heard it in that spot. There were no new visuals on the spot. xox

Staton: (pause) I know Im taking a long pause on that. I have to think through that answer.

I think there will be things that will come out of this investigation that will surprise you, that you'll think about later on after it's over.

These are things that I'll tell you, when you ask me about the stresses that my staff is under, and that the other detectives and agency, agency representatives here are under is that uh (pause) we have a knowledge of things that we don't want to know about (pause) and that's the only way I can answer that.

Here is the raw video of the press conference to confirm that the above is what he actually said:

http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/n...ons-to-task-force/4Hpc1rxqOkKV5KZa9kIQeA.cspx

BBM. Staton never used the word "shocking", or any variation thereof, in the entire press conference. This can also be confirmed in the Koin video above.

I was wrong on the word shocking as I didn't have my notes in front of me just then. But when I read my notes, I started writing it down where he said "We have uncovered some surprising details into Kyron's . . ". I had heard the spot once and didn't take notes. So I watched the HLN show till the spot was repeated and that is where I heard him say this.

ETA: Looking at my notes now, this sentence I just wrote here came right before where you started your quote. I didn't write down your first sentence about the pause but remember hearing him say it tho. And my next sentence was " . . there will be things . . . that will surprise you and you will think about it later on . . . "

I was wrong on the word shocking as I didn't have my notes in front of me just then. But when I read my notes, I started writing it down where he said "We have uncovered some surprising details into Kyron's . . ". I had heard the spot once and didn't take notes. So I watched the HLN show till the spot was repeated and that is where I heard him say this.

ETA: Looking at my notes now, this sentence I just wrote here came right before where you started your quote. I didn't write down your first sentence about the pause but remember hearing him say it tho. And my next sentence was " . . there will be things . . . that will surprise you and you will think about it later on . . . "

My quote is Staton's entire answer to the reporter's question. Prior to what I posted, the reporter was talking, asking the question. Prior to that, Staton was answering a different question, and saying things along the lines of - it was only two words (task force) he'd said at the breakfast that was the reason they were there for the press conference etc.

This can be confirmed by watching the video.

I wanted to ask if anyone caught all the agencies they hoped to be on the new task force. I believe Staton said they will firm this up by next week but just speculating on which ones they are since he only named these listed below. Did anyone else catch another agency I don't have listed here?

8-10 people=

2 dedicated from MCSO (I think he said that in the press conference)
FBI
Troutdale/Fairview (is that one or two different people?)
Port of Portland
Portland Police

http://www.examiner.com/crime-in-na...igned-to-case-of-missing-oregon-boy-see-video

I agree he didn't use the word *shocking.* But, I think the context of the entire pc is what leads some, including me, to think that whatever they found will be more than *surprising.* The idea that these things LE now knows are so bad that even LE doesn't want to know about them, and Staton's own emotions at the end, lead me to believe that I will be shocked, and so will many others. jmoo.

I wanted to ask if anyone caught all the agencies they hoped to be on the new task force. I believe Staton said they will firm this up by next week but just speculating on which ones they are since he only named these listed below. Did anyone else catch another agency I don't have listed here?

8-10 people=

FBI
Port of Portland
Portland Police

http://www.examiner.com/crime-in-na...igned-to-case-of-missing-oregon-boy-see-video

Quoting my own post and adding Gresham Police based on the Oregonian Article:
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/09/new_strategy_in_kyron_horman_c.html

I agree he didn't use the word *shocking.* But, I think the context of the entire pc is what leads some, including me, to think that whatever they found will be more than *surprising.* The idea that these things LE now knows are so bad that even LE doesn't want to know about them, and Staton's own emotions at the end, lead me to believe that I will be shocked, and so will many others. jmoo.

Ultimately, though, Staton didn't use the word shocked. He used the word surprised. IMHO, Terri has been convicted in the court of public opinion and the speculation has ranged from her drugging Kyron and the baby to her selling Kyron to a ring of pedophiles to her leaving him in the forest to die of exposure to her throwing him down the face of a cliff. If, on the more horrible end of the spectrum, you found out that she had, indeed, sold him to a ring of pedophiles or murdered him, it'd simply be what you expected, right? For most people, there wouldn't be any surprise at all.

Surprise, IMHO, implies it's something people aren't expecting. Most people expect that Terri did something horrible and unimaginable to Kyron.

Quoting my own post and adding Gresham Police based on the Oregonian Article:

I think it's telling that all of those specific LE are involved in child abuse investigations. I think it was posted before, but here it is again

snip~

In November 1989, District Attorney Michael Schrunk convened a policy group composed of Children's Services Division, Portland Police Bureau, Multnomah County Sheriff's Office, Juvenile Court, Gresham Police Department, CARES at Emanuel Hospital, other area hospitals, the Multnomah County ESD, representing area schools, and the Multnomah County Health Division to develop interim protocols for the operation of the Team. The group completed the written protocols by February 1990. In the following month, March, the District Attorney appointed Chief Deputy Helen Smith Chairperson of the Multidisciplinary Child Abuse Team (MDT) and the first formal meeting was held.

snip~

The MDT expanded to include other organizations and law enforcement agencies and began weekly case reviews of child abuse cases. Formal membership in the MDT includes: the District Attorney's Office; Children's Services Division, Child Protective Services Unit; Portland Police Bureau; Multnomah County Sheriff's Office; Police Departments of the cities of Gresham, Troutdale, and Fairview; Oregon State Police; Portland Public School Police; Portland Public Schools; Emanuel Hospital CARES Program; the Reynolds, Centennial, and David Douglas School Districts; Community Health Nurses; Oregon Health Sciences University; and Bess Kaiser Hospital.

http://www.mcda.us/mdt/response.php

8-10 people=

FBI
Port of Portland
Portland Police

[ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114492"]Notifying Other Government Entities - From Sheriff at Presser, Sept.15/10 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

I think it's telling that all of those specific LE are involved in child abuse investigations. I think it was posted before, but here it is again

snip~

In November 1989, District Attorney Michael Schrunk convened a policy group composed of Children's Services Division, Portland Police Bureau, Multnomah County Sheriff's Office, Juvenile Court, Gresham Police Department, CARES at Emanuel Hospital, other area hospitals, the Multnomah County ESD, representing area schools, and the Multnomah County Health Division to develop interim protocols for the operation of the Team. The group completed the written protocols by February 1990. In the following month, March, the District Attorney appointed Chief Deputy Helen Smith Chairperson of the Multidisciplinary Child Abuse Team (MDT) and the first formal meeting was held.

snip~

The MDT expanded to include other organizations and law enforcement agencies and began weekly case reviews of child abuse cases. Formal membership in the MDT includes: the District Attorney's Office; Children's Services Division, Child Protective Services Unit; Portland Police Bureau; Multnomah County Sheriff's Office; Police Departments of the cities of Gresham, Troutdale, and Fairview; Oregon State Police; Portland Public School Police; Portland Public Schools; Emanuel Hospital CARES Program; the Reynolds, Centennial, and David Douglas School Districts; Community Health Nurses; Oregon Health Sciences University; and Bess Kaiser Hospital.

http://www.mcda.us/mdt/response.php

This is very interesting, as many have speculated that Terri and others rescuing Kyron from an abusive situation is one of only a few reasons why a group of people would band together to disappear a child and would continue to maintain silence in the face of personal destruction.

If Terri had altruistic, if misguided reasons for disappearing Kyron, then I believe much of the public would be "surprised" and that could account for Staton's off the cuff remark about "we have knowledge of things we wish we didn't."

Hmm...

Ultimately, though, Staton didn't use the word shocked. He used the word surprised. IMHO, Terri has been convicted in the court of public opinion and the speculation has ranged from her drugging Kyron and the baby to her selling Kyron to a ring of pedophiles to her leaving him in the forest to die of exposure to her throwing him down the face of a cliff. If, on the more horrible end of the spectrum, you found out that she had, indeed, sold him to a ring of pedophiles or murdered him, it'd simply be what you expected, right? For most people, there wouldn't be any surprise at all.

Surprise, IMHO, implies it's something people aren't expecting. Most people expect that Terri did something horrible and unimaginable to Kyron.

bbm~

Actually, no. I would be *shocked.* Personally, until that pc, I never, ever gave any credence to the child *advertiser censored*/pedophilia ring theory at all. In my mind, it was one of the very least likely of the many, many theories out there. It would have surprised *me personally* far less to find that TH was not involved at all. I would go so far as to say I wouldn't even be that surprised to learn that TH wasn't involved. I think she most likely is. But as I've said many, many times, I don't think there's evidence that I know of that makes her much more than just a person that I really, really don't like. I think if I found out that TH in fact, harmed Kyron in the way that he seems to have been harmed, I will still be *shocked,* regardless of the amount and nature of speculation here and elsewhere -- but I don't think her involvement alone would have LE wishing they didn't know what happened. LE sees that, and worse, all the time. jmoo

This is very interesting, as many have speculated that Terri and others rescuing Kyron from an abusive situation is one of only a few reasons why a group of people would band together to disappear a child and would continue to maintain silence in the face of personal destruction.

If Terri had altruistic, if misguided reasons for disappearing Kyron, then I believe much of the public would be "surprised" and that could account for Staton's off the cuff remark about "we have knowledge of things we wish we didn't."

Hmm...

It's a theory I've given some thought to, but it doesn't sit together with TH giving up baby K to KH -- if, in fact, that's who TH would identify as the alleged abuser. And it was someone other than him that she would accuse of abuse, it would have to be someone else in the very close family circle for her to choose *disappearing* him over handling it within the family and with LE (even assuming that there's a good reason why LE wouldn't still be your first option). And any of those people would still have access to baby girl if she was with KH and KH didn't believe the allegations himself. jmoo

I haven't read this entire thread, so please forgive me if this has already been asked/answered. Has there been any comment from Kaine and/or Desiree since the announcement was made about downsizing the investigation to as special task force? They had continually expressed their satisfaction in the way that the case was progressing, and I wonder if they feel the same now that there is a much smaller team of professionals working on the case.

I haven't read this entire thread, so please forgive me if this has already been asked/answered. Has there been any comment from Kaine and/or Desiree since the announcement was made about downsizing the investigation to as special task force? They had continually expressed their satisfaction in the way that the case was progressing, and I wonder if they feel the same now that there is a much smaller team of professionals working on the case.

not that I've seen or heard of. I know that Staton said during the presser that he wouldn't want the family to think of the *task force*/downsizing/focusing to be viewed as a negative development. Paraphrasing, but that was the gist of it. So it's obviously a concern that he had. jmoo

Hmm...

Interesting thoughts! That sure would "surprise" me! :doh:

I follow your reasoning, but I disagree with how you've narrowed down the options that would surprise "most people". It's probably true that "most people" believe Terri is responsible for Kyron's disappearance. I don't think there's a concensus on how that occurred, though.

Personally, I'd be surprised and shocked to learn that she sold him to a pedophile ring or any of the other horrific scenarios that have been suggested. Of the "most people" group, imo, a large number feel the same. In an effort to solve the mystery, we rummage around in our minds for answers, even peeking into the darkest corners of our imaginations. Much of what we find is titillating, and our curiosity drives us to examine the possibilities front and center. Nevertheless, we ackowledge their improbability, and if faced with the reality of any of them, would undoubtedly be surprised.

It's a theory I've given some thought to, but it doesn't sit together with TH giving up baby K to KH -- if, in fact, that's who TH would identify as the alleged abuser. And it was someone other than him that she would accuse of abuse, it would have to be someone else in the very close family circle for her to choose *disappearing* him over handling it within the family and with LE (even assuming that there's a good reason why LE wouldn't still be your first option). And any of those people would still have access to baby girl if she was with KH and KH didn't believe the allegations himself. jmoo

What wondering said. And I would personally be very shocked, appalled and horrified if it turned out that Terri had rescued Kyron from an abusive situation in the close family circle and yet agreed to leave her baby in Kaine's care in that same family circle by not contesting the RO.

Even more disturbing, (because she might have valid self-protective legal reasons not to contest the RO but LE is not in that position) it appears that LE has done nothing to save the baby from a dangerous situation either. At least we haven't heard that the child protection services have done anything to investigate and remove the child from an abusive custody situation. It would be a total shame and utter neglect IMO if the shocking thing they had discovered was Kyron being abused by someone other than Terri who is still involved in baby K's life, and if the authorities just let things stand risking the baby's future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charity4668