Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where am I ? Where are otto, margarita, Henry, Pommy Mommy, Jersey Girl, and Greg Richards ?..... Did the virus get them all ?...........Are we all that's left ?.........Helloooooooooooo ???.......moo
I needed to take a break from everything plus I spent the last 3 days looking for food supplies. Talking about being
exhausted from shopping. Lines just getting into my local Costco was staggering. The wait time was over 30mins
yet once inside the store it wasn't crowded.
I hope everyone is safe!

I found a box of Ghiradelli Double Chocolate Cake Mix, in a kitchen cabinet. The cake mix went out of date October 17, 2019. I have sweet talked Mrs.22 into baking it later.........I figure if we have survived the virus so far, maybe this cake mix won't kill us......Survival food for dinner tonight -Big pot of red(pinto)beans( with ham scraps in them) and homemade cornbread followed by possibly poisonous Survival Chocolate cake for dessert.....Yall come........moo

That's a "best by" date. At that point, about 1/3 of the product's usefulness remains.

All the 22's will be A-OK.

Unless someone is expected to reduce carbs/sugar....

Oh no! If they are the steam-in-bag type of veggies they always have tiny holes to release the steam and many other frozen bags have holes where the perforations are for opening them. I'm using wipes to clean my groceries but I decided not to try to wipe my freezer items that were in bags (frozen veggies, frozen fruit and sweet potato fries). Instead, I put them in a separate freezer and will wait 3-6 days to use any of them. I'm hoping that will kill the virus as it needs a human host to survive longer, right? I wiped as much as I could down (mostly the cold items) but I left some shelf stable items out in my car trunk. I didn't want to waste wipes and I ran out of energy trying to get the cold stuff put away without cross contamination. I hope we don't have to do this for very long.

MOO.
I wipe my frozen veggies down before placing in freezer. I am doing the trunk thing, too, with water, laundry detergent, items in hard plastic.

Because my husband has metastatic stage 4 cancer, I’m taking many extra precautions. I have my groceries delivered. I rely on Amazon for supplies as well. I open everything on the porch. I wear a mask and vinyl gloves. I immediately dispose of cardboard boxes. I wipe down everything and place in a coated plastic shopping bag. I then take everything in and wipe down again, place into storage and do not use for 48-72 hours. I wipe down the handles and interior of the bag. I then wipe all surfaces and door handles, dispose of gloves and wash my hands. I am reusing the mask, though it makes me nervous doing so. I use 3 wipes. I also have a bleach mixture in a spray bottle on hand and Method Antibacterial for in home. I am not using wipes in the house as I know there is no virus present. I save the wipes for anything coming into the house.

We’ve gotten to 18 months post-diagnosis. Fighting so many complications. I am going to fight Covid-19 with all I’ve got.

(Miss you over at the Vallow thread, Gardener. Some good distracting stuff has come up. Take a break and read some of Nate and Justin’s reporting. It has all gotten to a new level of crazy, if you can imagine that.)

BBM. Same situation here in the Southeast US. My small grocery store had about 3-4 people per aisle, plenty of room, but people seemed to bunch up in the aisles and not respect distances. The outer aisles where meat and dairy products have been decimated seemed to be the least busy as everyone took a look at the empty shelves and moved on. Very few shoppers were wearing masks and none were respecting social distancing. I received quite a few open mouthed stares as I darted around with my gloves, mask, wrap around sunglasses and a head scarf to cover my hair and ears. But none of those moved out of my way so I could get the items I needed and just get out of there. People seemed to be strolling and stopping to talk to neighbors they ran into like it was just another vacation day. :confused:o_O

I had to circle the outer aisles of the store about 5 times waiting for some aisles to clear of enough people for my comfort level. By my 5th lap around the store I figured out people only moved out of my way if I coughed a bit behind my mask. I didn't do it on purpose, but I coughed because I was starting to get very warm and having trouble breathing with everything I was wearing. People jumped out of my way when I coughed and they walked in the other direction from me. The same people who were lollygagging and close-talking with one another and didn't budge before when I stood 6 feet behind them waiting for them to move on. That tells me they are well aware of corona virus and all that is going on but they don't have a clue about how it spreads.

It's like they think it can only be spread by actively sick people (fever and cough). I felt like everyone in the store thought I must only be wearing a mask because I'm sick. I'm well right now but I don't want to get sick. And if I happen to have it I could be contagious for a few days before I get any symptoms. I wear a mask and keep my distance to protect myself and to protect my community. I understand many were caught off guard and have no masks and no rubber gloves but it seems like my community doesn't get social distancing at all. Ugh. Sorry for the rant. It's been percolating since my appalling trip to the store. Americans are doomed if people keep acting so carelessly in public. :mad::(
MOO.
Last time I went out I used our reusable N99 masks. (We have the worst air quality in Utah and in the winter, my husband needs to wear this on the bad air days to go for a short walk. I wear one too.) With my vinyl gloves and mask, I looked like I was ready to rob the store. I got weird looks, but no one really got out of my way. People can be dense. I felt like screaming, so I totally relate.

I wipe my frozen veggies down before placing in freezer. I am doing the trunk thing, too, with water, laundry detergent, items in hard plastic.

Because my husband has metastatic stage 4 cancer, I’m taking many extra precautions. I have my groceries delivered. I rely on Amazon for supplies as well. I open everything on the porch. I wear a mask and vinyl gloves. I immediately dispose of cardboard boxes. I wipe down everything and place in a coated plastic shopping bag. I then take everything in and wipe down again, place into storage and do not use for 48-72 hours. I wipe down the handles and interior of the bag. I then wipe all surfaces and door handles, dispose of gloves and wash my hands. I am reusing the mask, though it makes me nervous doing so. I use 3 wipes. I also have a bleach mixture in a spray bottle on hand and Method Antibacterial for in home. I am not using wipes in the house as I know there is no virus present. I save the wipes for anything coming into the house.

We’ve gotten to 18 months post-diagnosis. Fighting so many complications. I am going to fight Covid-19 with all I’ve got.

(Miss you over at the Vallow thread, Gardener. Some good distracting stuff has come up. Take a break and read some of Nate and Justin’s reporting. It has all gotten to a new level of crazy, if you can imagine that.)

@utahobserver Prayers up for you and your DH. It sounds like you are taking great care of him, it's good to hear from you; I usually see you and @Gardener1850, over on the JJ and Tylee thread where you both have made so many wonderful observations and posts. This case continues to be unbelievable, but is real life, and hurting so many in these families. I hope you are able to take some time to do some self care, too.

Where are the kids?

I needed to take a break from everything plus I spent the last 3 days looking for food supplies. Talking about being
exhausted from shopping. Lines just getting into my local Costco was staggering. The wait time was over 30mins
yet once inside the store it wasn't crowded.
I hope everyone is safe!

They may be limiting the amount of people who can enter?

My husband stopped at a local seafood market and there was a sign on the door that said "NO MORE THAN 5 CUSTOMERS INSIDE AT A TIME".

My husband stopped at a local seafood market and there was a sign on the door that said "NO MORE THAN 5 CUSTOMERS INSIDE AT A TIME".

A supermarket in another community has marked the floor with duct tape to keep customers in checkout lanes at appropriate distance from each other.

@utahobserver Prayers up for you and your DH. It sounds like you are taking great care of him, it's good to hear from you; I usually see you and @Gardener1850, over on the JJ and Tylee thread where you both have made so many wonderful observations and posts. This case continues to be unbelievable, but is real life, and hurting so many in these families. I hope you are able to take some time to do some self care, too.

Where are the kids?
Good to see you too! Thank you for your kind thoughts. I find my self care are the forums. There are so many great people on WS. It really brings comfort. Be well and stay safe! Let’s find those kids!

Costco is doing a good job of limiting the amount of people entering at one time. Two ladies were wiping down the carts before customers touched the cart. Plus the weather was sunny and beautiful. I didn't mine waiting and needed some vitamin D by standing in the line.

Costco is doing a good job of limiting the amount of people entering at one time. Two ladies were wiping down the carts before customers touched the cart. Plus the weather was sunny and beautiful. I didn't mine waiting and needed some vitamin D by standing in the line.

I miss Costco. I spent most of my adult life 5 minutes away from one, but now live in an area where the closest one is 2 hours away. I have no doubt that they are going the extra mile to protect customers and employees alike. MOO.

West Texas report - Well, I went out to pick up our experimental "HEB Curbside Shopping" for the first time. We ordered 6 days ago and received 4 out of 12 items ordered. No paper goods, or basics like beans, meat of any kind, and flour. Just a waste of time. Traveled to top off the gas in our big white serial killer van, fill up my lawnmower gas can, and buy more cigarettes. No problems with any of these. I had one more gallon of freshly bought HEB milk than we needed so I gave it to the young lady working at the gas/cigarettes place......One thing new. More people are observing the 6ft. distancing rule and a lot are also turning their faces away from anyone passing them.....That is all......My family and I are all doing ok today and we should be ok tomorrow also. I hope yall and your families are too......moo

Last edited:
I haven't left the house since Wednesday, but Thursday I ordered a raised bed garden kit from Home Depot, should be here Monday, and I needed to go get my dirt and seeds. Went to the local Ace Hardware, no one in parking lot, got inside and was talking to the salesman from six feet away, when a guy barged in hollaring "six feet, six feet", while walking through the space the salesman and I had left between us. Doofus. Another guy came through the door and headed straight towards me, and I felt like he was chasing me, I could not get away fast enough. He clearly didn't have a clue. Another doofus. As I paid for my order, the place started to fill up, and I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

PS I have had gardens in the past, not recently, but COVID19 made me decide to put one in this year.

My $400 ShopRite order arrived and the total came to about $68, with many staples and meat missing! :eek:

My husband and I decided we'll have to venture out Monday morning during early senior morning senior hour.

My $400 ShopRite order arrived and the total came to about $68, with many staples and meat missing! :eek:

My husband and I decided we'll have to venture out Monday morning during early senior morning senior hour.
Jersey Girl, Opinions - Wal- Mart( especially - lots of buying power) and any other "big name" stores are your best chance. Be there when the doors open for everything but meats. From my reading and local observation, all paper goods, basics like eggs, butter, beans, flour, sugar, corn meal, Crisco, etc. are in short supply and strong demand everywhere.......Your best chance for any kinds of meats is about 1 1/2 hours in from the store opening in my area. The Meat market people will be putting out what they have in that time period ( at least in my area)..... Hang in there......moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214