Should Darlie have a new trial?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Should Darlie Routier be given a new trial?

• Total voters
Hello,

First day here. I believe she received a fair trial the first time. Just because a county is conservative doesn't mean they are deaf, dumb and blind. One juror has mentioned not seeing the photos of the bruises yet another states they did. The transcripts back up the second juror. They didn't convict because of the "Silly String Tape". Personally I just thought it was in poor taste to invite the Press to your dead child's birthday party. I feel like the sock is a "red Herring" and was never intended to be part of the crime scene. I can't say how many socks I have thrown out for various reasons and I didn't always wash them before I did. She was getting ready for a garage sale after all. I am sure she was quite surprised when they found it but ready to take full advantage of the possibility it could back up her version of events.

As far as the bruises....well I can think of so many ways she got those and none have anything to do with an intruder.

One fact that cannot be denied by anyone is that the children were savagely attacked. All the wounds were deep penetrating stabs. The only similarity with Darlie is a knife. Her's were not anything like the others and she was the biggest threat to an intruder in the room. It was not an intended burglary or anything else.

I have been on her web site and was amazed at "Her Proof". Not only seems desperate but a little childish too but maybe that is just me.

Great forum....

:Welcome-12-june: hangman!

I couldn't agree with you more. She had a fair trial, and hasn't been granted an appeal. Darlie should have been executed by now. IMO.

As a citizen of Texas, I would be highly upset if we have to foot the bill to put this whole trial on again. Simply ridiculous! I really wish they would get these last DNA tests over and done, and then be finished with it. She has dragged the shenanigans on long enough. MOO

Thank you for the welcome Tuffy...I really appreciate it.

This really is one of those cases you wish you knew exactly what was going on inside Darlie's head. I mean we know about Susan Smith, Andrea Yates..etc but for some reason her motives are just not as clear.

It wasn't money, it wasn't vainity, it wasn't the loss of the stuff....I think it had more to do with being a single mom with three kids. That is a lot of baggage to carry if you are looking for a new man....

Just a thought!

Just watched a fairly new update (2010) on Investigative Discovery TV series "Cold Blood" episode called Family Secrets on this case. I have always thought her husband was behind this crime not Darlie and I didn't even know he failed the lie detector test 3 times until today! I know I'm in the minority here too. I'm sure it will be repeated many more times if you're interested but may be same old to many of you.

Hoosiermom,

I have seen many inuendos naming Darin as the killer. Actually he was probably the more logical choice but unfortunately none of the evidense presented at trial points in his direction. It is well documented that he tried very hard to save his one living child while Darlie was on the phone with 911. He was actively working on his child when EMS arrived. It was Darlie who was not.

As far as polygraphs are concerned, well I believe he knows far more than he is telling. I think he may have disarmed his wife which would account for her bruising since her own statements mention no struggle with a killer and her first and following descriptions of the man never have implicated Darin. So the question is why would she protect Darin? This would be a man who just murdered my two children and tried to kill me. Would I leave him with my only living child? Would I let him raise him? And if I was the Grandmother would I let him have the child? And would I have not used what I believed about Darin immediately to help my child instead of cooking up hired burglars and insuations years after the fact?

It just doesn't add up to me. Even as hard as the media tries to muddy up the waters they still lack the proof that was presented at trial.

And you have to remember even if they commute Darlie's sentence to Life we do not have Life without Parole in Texas. She could walk free.

Just a thought...

does anyone think Darlie will ever be executed? I just really have my doubts...I think if she were a man,she'd have quite possibly been put to death by now. (?) any thoughts?

Hoosiermom,

snipped for comment...

And you have to remember even if they commute Darlie's sentence to Life we do not have Life without Parole in Texas. She could walk free.

Just a thought...
We do now, but not when Darlie was convicted and sentences. Would she be grandathered to Life with Possibility of Parole? No clue.

Hangman: I didn't mean Darin was the killer,just that he was behind it. You made very good points. It just seems like an odd and violent way for a mother to kill her children for no apparent reason. I don't like to see anyone put to death if there is any chance at all they may be innocent. It's happened too many times. I would be much more comfortable with life without parole on this one.(Yes I am probably sticking my head in the sand on this one!)

Hangman: I didn't mean Darin was the killer,just that he was behind it. You made very good points. It just seems like an odd and violent way for a mother to kill her children for no apparent reason. I don't like to see anyone put to death if there is any chance at all they may be innocent. It's happened too many times. I would be much more comfortable with life without parole on this one.(Yes I am probably sticking my head in the sand on this one!)

I know what you mean Hoosiermom. Who wants to believe that anyone would harm their children in such a way but it is a crime that accurs all the time. And if Darin was somehow behind it I really don't think a lid could have been kept on it for this long. And then again what motive did he have to kill the boys? The wounds on the boys were far different than the ones on Darlie. And if it was a botched murder would not have Darlie been killed first? She did not receive even one deep penatrating stab wound. Not one. She was sliced and not to deeply either. Look at the wounds on those boys. She was the professed light sleeper but did not hear an intruder enter and murder her children til the touch of a dying boy? And why would a hired murderer use such force to stab the boys but not the mom. Conscience? It is okay to murder the little boys but man I sure hate to hurt the pretty mom? It just does not make sense. And in the end how did any of this make life better for Darin?

I don't like the idea of an innocent person going to their death but our system of justice gives them years of due process before a death sentence is carried out. Heck The Night Stalker is alive well and married. The Hillside strangler Bueno died of natural causes waiting to die. And just for giggles Charles Tex Watson who committed the murders of Sharon Tate, Jay Sebring, Abagail Folger, Votek Frykowski, Steve Parent, Rosemary & Leo Bianca is doing life while enjoying being married with conjical visits and has four kids. Darlie has had 14 years with a dozen shows, books and pro bono lawyers that have still been unable to come up with any scinerio where her story, facts and evidense all meet together to name another suspect. So it a miracle happens with the DNA that can negate all other evidense then I shall happily eat my words....

Just a thought....

We do now, but not when Darlie was convicted and sentences. Would she be grandathered to Life with Possibility of Parole? No clue.

And yes if she is retried the laws and punishments available at the time of the crime are the scales of justice that would by used. So Darlie would have life with the possibility of parole.

Just watched a fairly new update (2010) on Investigative Discovery TV series "Cold Blood" episode called Family Secrets on this case. I have always thought her husband was behind this crime not Darlie and I didn't even know he failed the lie detector test 3 times until today! I know I'm in the minority here too. I'm sure it will be repeated many more times if you're interested but may be same old to many of you.

Darin failed the poly because he knows who killed his children. He knows Darlie did it. This program has many, many errors in it so you can't go by a television program although it added insight. YOu have to read the trial transcripts to get any sense of this crime.

But there was a reason to Darlie. Just because she won't talk doesn't mean there is no motive behind these killings. Since we can't read her mind, nor can LE, we don't know what her motive was.

I agree that none of us can get round our heads that a mother would kill her own children but they do.

All the physical evidence in the house points straight to Darlie as the killer.

I have seen many innuendos naming Darin as the killer. Actually he was probably the more logical choice but unfortunately none of the evidence presented at trial points in his direction. It is well documented that he tried very hard to save his one living child while Darlie was on the phone with 911. He was actively working on his child when EMS arrived. It was Darlie who was not.

I always thought that Darlie did it, but for reasons only Darin knows, he covered up for her. I have listed to all of the inconsistencies in Darlie's story, and you listen to Darin being interviewed I hear no remorse, no emotion in his voice, just a dense and utter coldness and aloofness like he could care less. But I don't know why he would sound so apathetic every time you hear him talking.

Honestly, I think both know more than they will ever tell.

Satch

Hoosiermom;5707137]Hangman: I didn't mean Darin was the killer,just that he was behind it. You made very good points. It just seems like an odd and violent way for a mother to kill her children for no apparent reason. I don't like to see anyone put to death if there is any chance at all they may be innocent. It's happened too many times. I would be much more comfortable with life without parole on this one.(Yes I am probably sticking my head in the sand on this one!)[/quote]

Hoosiermom, THANKS so much for eloquently stating my exact thoughts!!! Is Darlie Guilty by the preponderance of evidence or is she Guilty by Reasonable Doubt? I will never sit comfortably if we execute another person without knowing for sure if an individual is by all means guilty of the crime!! JMHO of course... I have always believed beyond 100% that Darin is SOOO involved in someway with this crime whether it is a cover up or more... Again, JMO nothing more... Sorry to vent and interrupt the thread.... I know as a fact I am going to get a lot of flack for this post, however, I have always made my feelings clear. (Cami, etc. et. al) Thanks for listening to my rambling, Take Care, Ann... :twocents::waitasec:

Wow HangmanJ, now that you have broken this down into specific killers, looks so different... I have been surprised all along by the years that have passed that they (Texas) has not put Darlie to death... It has been 14 years and from what I understand the usual is around 7 years...??? Why do you think that would be??? Again as always, just curious????? Ann

If I may...I have been thinking about the Innocence Project. They have cleared a lot of people (we don't know how many they haven't been able to clear as far as I know) who were in prison. I would love to know if Darlie's cheer leaders have ever contacted them. In my very strong opinion she is right where she belongs.

If I may...I have been thinking about the Innocence Project. They have cleared a lot of people (we don't know how many they haven't been able to clear as far as I know) who were in prison. I would love to know if Darlie's cheer leaders have ever contacted them. In my very strong opinion she is right where she belongs.

Good questions, wonders. I am looking at the Innocence Project website right now. So far I have this:

Q. How often do DNA tests prove innocence in your cases? Does testing ever prove guilt?

A. Among our cases that go to DNA testing, the DNA proves our clients innocent about as often as it suggests they are guilty. In a review of Innocence Project cases that went to DNA testing and were then closed over a five-year period, DNA testing proved innocence in about 43% of cases, confirmed the prosecution theory in about 42% of cases, and was inconclusive or not probative in about 15% of cases.

In more than 40% of all DNA exoneration cases, law enforcement authorities identify the actual perpetrator based on the same DNA test results that overturned the wrongful conviction.

http://www.innocenceproject.org/Content/How_often_do_DNA_tests_prove_innocence_in_your_cases_Does_testing_ever_prove_guilt.php

Thank you Tuffy. Very interesting info you dug up. February 16, 2007, almost 4 years ago. Another conformation for me that Darlie is exactly where she belongs and the DP needs to be carried out now.

ETA:
I looked at the profiles in the link you provided and they have exonerated 3 females. I wish they had a list of all the people they have ever tested for. I was also thinking they went futher then DNA testing (silly me) so maybe Darlie has never been considered.

Thank you Tuffy. Very interesting info you dug up. February 16, 2007, almost 4 years ago. Another conformation for me that Darlie is exactly where she belongs and the DP needs to be carried out now.

ETA:
I looked at the profiles in the link you provided and they have exonerated 3 females. I wish they had a list of all the people they have ever tested for. I was also thinking they went futher then DNA testing (silly me) so maybe Darlie has never been considered.

I would bet that Darlie's case was not considered. I think they normally take cases where DNA testing was not done, and the person was convicted based on eye witness testimony or other evidence. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back