SIDEBAR #16- Arias/Alexander forum

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not being adopted, I can't imagine that whole process of trying to decide whether or not to find your birth parents, then trying to decide whether or not to meet them and after that deciding whether or not to continue any kind of relationship. I would figure that the quality of the relationship with the adoptive parents has to be a complicating factor. For some, I imagine that there is an incredible amount of time, money and emotional energy put into the process.

It is a good thing that medical histories do become part of the adoption process, so that adopted children have some medical history and don't have to trace down their biological family if they don't want to do so.

Actually, not... During the BSE (Baby Scoop Era) before Roe v Wade - the social workers/adoption agency made up stuff... unfortunately! And think about the girls that were 15 and a bit older - what medical information could they leave with agencies? They wouldn't know what kind of medical problems they will have when they get older - unless of course they (young unwed mothers) called back and left info; otherwise adopted people are out of luck! I really don't know 'how' they do it these days though!

Was just thinking about M and dates while out smoking a cigarette.

My mind flashed back to that board game "Mystery Date". Anybody else here remember that one? I don't remember ever playing it, but I do remember the adverts on TV. Will you get your dream date or will you get the dud? I can vividly remember the pictures of both the dreamy guy and the nerd. An the teens squealing in the advert when the date was revealed.

Ugh.

Oh, it is so bad to think about how business has pushed things on the female sex. There was never a counterpart of this game for the male sex.

I remember playing that game!! LOL! :floorlaugh:

Question: What is your heritage?

Latvian!! I came through Ellis Island in March of 1952 with my parents and older brother & my younger twin sisters - off the boat from Sweden, ja!!

My parents - both Latvians - had to escape the Red Army coming into Latvia at the end of October, 1944 - they found a small fishing boat to cross the Baltic Sea trying to get to Germany - but lost their oars, hit a storm - and their boat took them to the coast of Visby, Gotland - and island off Sweden. All of us kids were born in Sweden, but the country did not consider us Swedes - we were DP (Displaced Persons). Then in 1951 Stalin wanted his "citizens" back - so my Dad bought us tickets to the U.S. of A.!!!! Thank God!!! Sure would NOT have liked living under Stalin - he probably would have sent us all to Siberia!!

It is very interesting, and all our ancestors immigrated from somewhere.
Bought my dad a great Ellis Island book and he loved it.

Oh daisymae - can you give me the name and author of this book?? Looks interesting! TIA!!

Oh - I too remember ironing pillow cases, handerchiefs, my dad's underwear (boxers), sheets, etc. - and of course - first sprinkled and put in the fridge!! LOL! Got 25 cents a piece for everything I ironed!

:seeya:

Actually, not... During the BSE (Baby Scoop Era) before Roe v Wade - the social workers/adoption agency made up stuff... unfortunately! And think about the girls that were 15 and a bit older - what medical information could they leave with agencies? They wouldn't know what kind of medical problems they will have when they get older - unless of course they (young unwed mothers) called back and left info; otherwise adopted people are out of luck! I really don't know 'how' they do it these days though!

I remember playing that game!! LOL! :floorlaugh:

Latvian!! I came through Ellis Island in March of 1952 with my parents and older brother & my younger twin sisters - off the boat from Sweden, ja!!

My parents - both Latvians - had to escape the Red Army coming into Latvia at the end of October, 1944 - they found a small fishing boat to cross the Baltic Sea trying to get to Germany - but lost their oars, hit a storm - and their boat took them to the coast of Visby, Gotland - and island off Sweden. All of us kids were born in Sweden, but the country did not consider us Swedes - we were DP (Displaced Persons). Then in 1951 Stalin wanted his "citizens" back - so my Dad bought us tickets to the U.S. of A.!!!! Thank God!!! Sure would NOT have liked living under Stalin - he probably would have sent us all to Siberia!!

Oh daisymae - can you give me the name and author of this book?? Looks interesting! TIA!!

Oh - I too remember ironing pillow cases, handerchiefs, my dad's underwear (boxers), sheets, etc. - and of course - first sprinkled and put in the fridge!! LOL! Got 25 cents a piece for everything I ironed!

:seeya:

Hi Niner,
The book is Ellis Island; Gateway to the American Dream by Pamela Reeves. I bought it from Barnes and Nobel or other bookstore in a mall.
My grandfather immigrated from Russia in 1902 and landed at Ellis Island. My grandmother also immigrated from Russia as a child prior to 1902, but haven't found the family on any ship manifests so I'm not sure where they landed but it was probably Ellis Island, too. I couldn't find grandfather on ship manifests but the name of the ship, arrival, etc. I found on his citizenship papers. I did find all the relatives on the census. :) It was fun doing all the research and my father was so interested and happy when I shared it all with him! It was a special time we shared together.

:

Latvian heritage here also! My grandmother fled her country in her mid-20's, alone, unable to speak English. Russian Revolution. I cannot even imagine the strength and fortitude it must have taken to do that! She died before I was born, I would have loved to have known her. So much of the details of our family history are unknown and lost. She divorced (:eek: unheard of then!), remarried, died young, and my father ended up with his stepfather and his new wife - two completely unrelated (but loving) adults.

I like to think about it when I think life is hard!

But I have to laugh - I too remember ironing my Dad's handkerchiefs. And pillowcases. And polishing his shoes. And they had to be perfect! I got 10 cents a week allowance!

Juan-trial update:

MC Superior Court ‏@courtpio 2h State v Richard Chrisman:
Oral argument is set for 1pm tomorrow before Judge Warren Granville. (South Court Tower 6A)

====

Haven't seen if the camera request was submitted or approved, sure hope so.

My sweet fur-baby had a seizure tonight :( I'd never seen anything like it before so I took him the the emergency vet clinic. They charged me a fortune but said there wasn't anything they could really do at this point. If it starts happening frequently they can put him anti-seizure meds. Poor baby is just getting old (he's 12)...it broke my heart to watch him. :(

(the attached pic is from a few nights ago...too big for his cat bed lol)

Attachments

• 2013-04-29_03-18-01_172.jpg
    2013-04-29_03-18-01_172.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 11
My sweet fur-baby had a seizure tonight :( I'd never seen anything like it before so I took him the the emergency vet clinic. They charged me a fortune but said there wasn't anything they could really do at this point. If it starts happening frequently they can put him anti-seizure meds. Poor baby is just getting old (he's 12)...it broke my heart to watch him. :(

So sorry M. I had a dog that had seizures and it is terrifying. Glad your pet has such a good momma.

Has anyone ever had a torn rotator cuff? My arm has been hurting for 5 months and the pain is intensifying. It hurts to lift my arm.

Evening m- sorry about your cat.
12 is not really old for a cat. Some live to about 18.
Did they do some kind of scan of the stomach area? My older son's cat had seizures and it was due to hairballs that couldn't pass correctly. Something to ask the vets? They gave my son some special hairball meds and it solved the problem.

Hi Niner,
The book is Ellis Island; Gateway to the American Dream by Pamela Reeves. I bought it from Barnes and Nobel or other bookstore in a mall.
My grandfather immigrated from Russia in 1902 and landed at Ellis Island. My grandmother also immigrated from Russia as a child prior to 1902, but haven't found the family on any ship manifests so I'm not sure where they landed but it was probably Ellis Island, too. I couldn't find grandfather on ship manifests but the name of the ship, arrival, etc. I found on his citizenship papers. I did find all the relatives on the census. :) It was fun doing all the research and my father was so interested and happy when I shared it all with him! It was a special time we shared together.

Evening, daisy :seeya:
Did you check Ancestry for your grandfather? I couldn't find my father on the Ellis Island website, but found it on Ancestry- because he didn't come thru Ellis, he landed in Boston.

Evening, daisy :seeya:
Did you check Ancestry for your grandfather? I couldn't find my father on the Ellis Island website, but found it on Ancestry- because he didn't come thru Ellis, he landed in Boston.

I found him on Ancestry in 1920 I think. He was in NYC in 1910 but couldn't find him. You know how everyone moved around frequently there during those years. I've got everything I had hoped to find after Russia, for both sets of grandparents. Keep in mind how names were changed .... dad's dad arrived as Chudnoffsky, then changed it and later changed it again! American's could not understand Russian accents especially at Ellis. :seeya:

Has anyone ever had a torn rotator cuff? My arm has been hurting for 5 months and the pain is intensifying. It hurts to lift my arm.

You might need the surgery and I hear it's not fun. There is someone on here that has had it so maybe she'll pop in to answer. :)

You might need the surgery and I hear it's not fun. There is someone on here that has had it so maybe she'll pop in to answer. :)

Thanks. I hope someone can give me some insight. No surgery for this gal, at least I hope I can say that.

I am wimping out early. My arm is really hurting, it is my right arm and I am right handed.
Have fun everyone.! Sweet dreams to all.

I found him on Ancestry in 1920 I think. He was in NYC in 1910 but couldn't find him. You know how everyone moved around frequently there during those years. I've got everything I had hoped to find after Russia, for both sets of grandparents. Keep in mind how names were changed .... dad's dad arrived as Chudnoffsky, then changed it and later changed it again! American's could not understand Russian accents especially at Ellis. :seeya:

Did you check Family Search for Russian info? They are LDS who specialize in genealogy and it's free. I found my father's and his brother's army registration there and ordered the paperwork. The website was in Italian, but I used the translation thingy on the computer. Family Search is really a wealth of info when you need to go back to the old country for research.

Did you check Family Search for Russian info? They are LDS who specialize in genealogy and it's free. I found my father's and his brother's army registration there and ordered the paperwork. The website was in Italian, but I used the translation thingy on the computer. Family Search is really a wealth of info when you need to go back to the old country for research.

I don't want to do Russian genealogy! :floorlaugh:

Very busy.
I received a surprise in the mail today from my future DIL. She sent homemade bread and chocolate chip cookies. Yummy.

I forgot to tell you-
When I spoke to older son, I asked when they were getting married and he said he didn't know- there was no rush. When they were up here, they were talking about having a baby, but now they may have changed their minds- too selfish, they said.
Guess I'll never be a Grandma. Not that I'm too thrilled about kids now- I'm just an old, crochity lady. Kids seem to get on my nerves now. When my younger son and I went for lunch last week, there was 2 little kids making a racket in the next booth and I was annoyed-LOL. Was glad when they left.
I think I would like my son's baby, tho'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retired Private Investiga