SIDEBAR #22- Arias/Alexander forum

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My son, who owns a heating company in NJ, emailed me tonight with some terrible news. :scared:

Here's what he wrote:

" Both Trenton Oil terminals ran out of oil 3pm today, the next closest terminal ran out at 5pm. Everyone is diverting to Philly for heating oil and diesel. Philly said they will be out in a few more hours. No pipelines till next week – maybe Monday or Tuesday. Lots of people are about to freeze.

I have both trucks loaded up – enough oil for my own customers for Thursday and part of Friday and that’s it. No more deliveries till the pipelines hit. So Friday, Saturday Sunday Monday and probably Tuesday nobody is gonna get heating oil from us. The other companies are in the same boat."

This is unbelievable! :eek:

Hi Everyone,
Are you all keeping warm?
Is The deep freeze causing the shortage of oil? What is meant by no pipelines till next week?

Hi Everyone,
Is The deep freeze causing the shortage of oil? What is meant by no pipelines till next week?

Good questions Ricki. At my house in the South, we have natural gas and electric heat from the nearby nuclear plant. My electric bill will probably be over $1000.

Hi Everyone,

I don't know what "no pipelines" mean. I emailed him back, but he may not get back to me tonight. :scared:
I wondering what the seniors are going to do with no fuel. Most seniors- like me- can't take the cold anymore.
This is scary.

Think I'll look into some electric heat for back-up heating this year for next Winter. :sigh:
My son can install it for me (God love him :heartbeat:)

Did anyone hear about how badly Atlanta got hit. It was horrible. People were totally stranded. One lady gave birth to a baby while stranded on the interstate. I read all this on Foxnews.

Good questions Ricki. At my house in the South, we have natural gas and electric heat from the nearby nuclear plant. My electric bill will probably be over $1000.

That is terrible. Oh my gosh. Oil is bad enough but 1000 is ridiculous.

Here's what he said:

"Its because all of the oil companies, like me have been getting way too many calls for heating oil. We are getting twice as many calls for heating oil each day than normal. I’m sure every company in the area is in the same boat. So we just bought up all of the heating oil faster than the terminals could get it in.

It happens now and then but last time it happened was about 10-12 years ago. The terminals ran out for 4-5 days. Could do nothing but just sit and wait for the pipelines.

People who are out of oil will not be able to do anything. If I can’t buy oil – neither can the other oil companies. A few might have a bit more stored than others. I have 6,000 gallons myself where a lot of the other companies only have 3,000 (one truck). A few companies might have 8-10,000 gallons. But as each oil company runs out – the customers who need oil will start calling around to anyone that has oil left and the other companies will be out also. We just started thinking tonight we can’t take any new customers at all until there is oil again.

At least save the 6,000 gallons for my regular customers."

Too cold :scared:

That is terrible. Oh my gosh. Oil is bad enough but 1000 is ridiculous.

Years ago when it was really cold, the bill was over $800. On an average basis, heating and cooling electric bill runs around $250/ month. Hey we have to keep TVA in business.

I don't know what "no pipelines" mean. I emailed him back, but he may not get back to me tonight. :scared:
I wondering what the seniors are going to do with no fuel. Most seniors- like me- can't take the cold anymore.
This is scary.

I don't like the cold either and I like it less every winter. I would love to move to a warmer climate down south somewhere, but their weather has been getting crazy to. Florida dipped into the 30's this week. I couldn't leave my kids, grand kids and mom.

I may have a job. I will know tomorrow for sure. If so it will be part time and hopefully go into full time in due time. All I can say is, it's about time.
So, if this is gonna happen, I might be on this board less. I will need to rely on you all for updates on JA.

Yes. Good luck, Ricki.
I'll have my fingers crossed for you :crossfingers:

Back to Clydsdales:

One of the sweetest sights I've ever seen was a new mom Clydesdale lying down with her baby cuddled up beside her. This was in Seaworld's stable in San Diego.

Ricki and YesorNo; (don't know which is without oil)

If you run out of oil, check the news or call a news station or even the Y, to see if there are any heating shelters in your area. Some churches open for heating and cooling, some business buildings do too. Around here, only one of the churches will allow pets.

Electric heat is an alternative, but, if the power goes out, you are in the same boat. If you get gas heat, try not to get one with electronic ignition, don't even know if they make gas furnaces without them anymore. If I owned a home, I would also install a heat stove. Been to a few friends houses with those, and they really can warm up an entire home. No more dangerous than a fireplace, and maintenance would cost the same. Firewood can be found year round, and cheaply. Not a bad back up system.

Piling up with pets can be helpful. Not just the Three Dog Night story. My dog only weighed 50 lbs and could put off some heat when in the bed. Got too hot to stay in there sometimes. But really, if no heating oil, please find a heating shelter.

Also, get one of the tall electric heaters that looks like a radiator and use that, move it from room to room with you and sit next to it. If you need to go to a shelter, open the sink cabinets and put the radiator electric heater in front, not too close, and leave it on. WalMart has them as well as hardware stores, not very expensive.

If only there was back up air conditioning. :P

Ricki and YesorNo; (don't know which is without oil)

If you run out of oil, check the news or call a news station or even the Y, to see if there are any heating shelters in your area. Some churches open for heating and cooling, some business buildings do too. Around here, only one of the churches will allow pets.

Electric heat is an alternative, but, if the power goes out, you are in the same boat. If you get gas heat, try not to get one with electronic ignition, don't even know if they make gas furnaces without them anymore. If I owned a home, I would also install a heat stove. Been to a few friends houses with those, and they really can warm up an entire home. No more dangerous than a fireplace, and maintenance would cost the same. Firewood can be found year round, and cheaply. Not a bad back up system.

Piling up with pets can be helpful. Not just the Three Dog Night story. My dog only weighed 50 lbs and could put off some heat when in the bed. Got too hot to stay in there sometimes. But really, if no heating oil, please find a heating shelter.

Also, get one of the tall electric heaters that looks like a radiator and use that, move it from room to room with you and sit next to it. If you need to go to a shelter, open the sink cabinets and put the radiator electric heater in front, not too close, and leave it on. WalMart has them as well as hardware stores, not very expensive.

If only there was back up air conditioning. :P

Thanks for your concern, merc, but I don't live in NJ- where my son lives and delivers oil. I use propane to heat. So far I have enough to last me for, at least, another 3 weeks- I hope. My son says there is a shortage on propane, too. I do have some portable electric heaters to use, but they really don't give out enough heat to heat a whole room so you're comfortable and if there's no "real" heat, pipes could freeze. :scared:

This "shortage" is because people have been filling up more often because they are using more heat- because it's been so cold.

Hope this cold weather leaves soon- for everyone's sake.

picture.php

Did anyone hear about how badly Atlanta got hit. It was horrible. People were totally stranded. One lady gave birth to a baby while stranded on the interstate. I read all this on Foxnews.

My sister lives in Georgia. It was really bad. Kids stuck in schools.

My sister lives in Georgia. It was really bad. Kids stuck in schools.

Morning Zoey :seeya:

You live in Seattle?
My son, who wanted to eventually retire to Upstate NY, has decided that when he is old, he might not retire here because of the cold.
I suggested Washington state.
How's the weather in Washington?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members