SIDEBAR #26- Arias/Alexander forum

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, he was so qualified. Even prior to Willmott.

Thanks, Tuba. Do you know if both lawyers have to be DP qualified in certain cases like this one? Wonder what makes them DP qualified.

AZlawyer, do you recall if Nurmi was death penalty qualified during the trial? I only remember hearing that Willmott was qualified. Other than a short statement on his website, I see nothing in the past that said he was, also.

Thanks, either way

There are different standards for being qualified for appointment as "lead counsel" or as "co-counsel." I think Nurmi was appointed as lead counsel, so that means he met the qualifications.

I don't believe there was a hearing today, it was the M.E. (Minute Entry) posted of the Hearing on 8/4:

8/8/2014 005 - ME: Hearing - Party (001)

The 8/8 is the "filing date", this is the minute entry that was filed today:

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Criminal/082014/m6427527.pdf

Next hearing (status conference) still scheduled for 8/13 (next Wednesday) according to the docket and the High Profile List (type her last name in box):

http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/MediaRelationsDepartment/highProfileList/index.asp

That seems right.

Thanks, Tuba. Do you know if both lawyers have to be DP qualified in certain cases like this one? Wonder what makes them DP qualified.

Yes, one has to be qualified as "lead counsel" and one as "co-counsel." Here are the requirements:
Rule 6.8. Standards for appointment and performance of counsel in capital cases.

a. General. To be eligible for appointment in a capital case, an attorney
(1) Shall have been a member in good standing of the State Bar of Arizona for at least five years immediately preceding the appointment;
(2) Shall have practiced in the area of state criminal litigation for three years immediately preceding the appointment; and
(3) Shall have demonstrated the necessary proficiency and commitment which exemplify the quality of representation appropriate to capital cases.

b. Trial Counsel.

(1) Lead counsel. To be eligible for appointment as lead counsel, an attorney must meet the qualifications set forth in section (a) of this rule and the following:
(i) Shall have practiced in the area of state criminal litigation for five years immediately preceding the appointment;
(ii) Shall have been lead counsel in at least nine felony jury trials that were tried to completion and have been lead counsel or co-counsel in at least one capital murder jury trial;
(iii) Shall be familiar with and guided by the performance standards in the 2003 American Bar Association Guidelines for the Appointment and Performance of Defense Counsel in Death Penalty Cases; and
(iv) Shall have attended and successfully completed, within one year prior to the initial appointment, at least six hours of relevant training or educational programs in the area of capital defense, and within one year prior to any subsequent appointment, at least twelve hours of relevant training or educational programs in the area of criminal defense.

(2) Co-counsel. To be eligible for appointment as co-counsel, an attorney must be a member in good standing of the State Bar of Arizona and shall have attended and successfully completed, within one year prior to the initial appointment, at least six hours of relevant training or educational programs in the area of capital defense, and within one year prior to any subsequent appointment, at least twelve hours of relevant training or educational programs in the area of criminal defense. Section (b)(1)(iii) applies to co-counsel.

I don't think JSS would want to release Nurmi as advisory counsel, because she needs a DP-qualified team of lead counsel and co-counsel who can step right in if Jodi loses confidence in her own brilliance.

I would make him stay unless there is an actual ethical issue that prevents the representation.

"FOX 10 talks to attorney Brent Kleinman about Jodi Arias' decision to represent herself in her sentencing retrial. (8/5/14): a video:

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/clip/10...n-could-affect-her-case#.U-TYII-vVpI.facebook

Kleinman says jury selection will be dragged out. So will the whole trial. The judge will have to take the killer step by step to teach her the law. So sad.

Kleinman says jury selection will be dragged out. So will the whole trial. The judge will have to take the killer step by step to teach her the law. So sad.

We'll see. How long is Jodi going to be willing to look like a fool on camera? Even if she knows the world won't see the footage until after the verdict, I think she has a low tolerance for looking bad. If there's a face-saving way for her to bow out--e.g., a blame-it-on-mean-JM way--I think she might jump at it. I mean, what if his meanness triggers a flashback to her domestic violence victimhood days?

That is, unless she has a really good reason to want Nurmi and Willmott out of the way, like wanting to present evidence they refused to present. In that case, I think she'll stick it out until she gets that part of the case done.

AZlawyer, thank you for answering some of our questions today. And a special thanks for the DP requirements! I tried searching for that and was unsuccessful. You are a peach!

We'll see. How long is Jodi going to be willing to look like a fool on camera? Even if she knows the world won't see the footage until after the verdict, I think she has a low tolerance for looking bad. If there's a face-saving way for her to bow out--e.g., a blame-it-on-mean-JM way--I think she might jump at it. I mean, what if his meanness triggers a flashback to her domestic violence victimhood days?

That is, unless she has a really good reason to want Nurmi and Willmott out of the way, like wanting to present evidence they refused to present. In that case, I think she'll stick it out until she gets that part of the case done.

AZLawyer, I don't know how much you've paid attention to the side show since the verdict. Arias does have an inner circle who appear to be even more misguided than she is. They have bought her survivor story hook line and sinker and my sense is that they have emboldened her to pursue this path.

She is hellbent on presenting herself as a philanthropist, with donations of her hair to Locks of Love and money from proceeds of sales of Survivor T shirts and her art work. Some of the intended beneficiaries include a no-kill animal shelter. And she wants to make donations in the name of Travis Alexander.

I think that Nurmi wants to completely distance himself from this.

Not sure what JA is hoping to achieve in her attempt to represent herself. Everyone will already know that she had very competent attorneys because they are going back for the sentencing phase of the trial. So what will the jury think of her acting on her own behalf. jmo

Today is the 246 day of the year. There are 145 days until the end of the years.

1876 - Thomas Edison patents the mimeograph

1944 - Smokey the Bear ("Only you can prevent forest fires") created by US Forest Service and the Ad Council

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=U6xMd0wSbZc

1945 - USSR declares war against Japan in WW II, and establishes a communist government in North Korea

1957 - USSR offers Syria economic/military aid (Russia rising)

1960 - "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini" is #1 on the charts

[video=youtube;ge9Ou3-YyqU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ge9Ou3-YyqU [/video] (someone need to fix that little girls top.)

1963 - Great Train Robbery in England, £2.6 million ($7.3 million),

and the ,Kingsmen release "Louie, Louie", radio stations label it obscene

1968 - Republican convention in Miami Beach nominates Richard Nixon for president

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=t1j65Um0TNk

1969 - Sharon Tate and guest were slaughtered by the Charles Manson family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lFr4zSA_EhI

1974 - US President Richard Nixon announces he'll resign his office 12PM Aug 9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8XtQgCVu2XQ

1988 - The temperature hits a high of 88 deg F on 8/8/88 in NYC

2002 - Confederate submarine H.L. Hunley is raised to the surface after 136 years on the ocean floor.

Forgot to post this today:

[video=youtube;XDqUz2lG7-s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDqUz2lG7-s[/video]

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

:skip:

I miss Peewee.

I love Kap'n Karl / Monsieur LeCroc RIP Phil Hartman,

[video=youtube;PBFlHKUohMI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PBFlHKUohMI[/video]

When I saw Ross Harris he reminded me of Francis;

[video=youtube;eCfzCLqUPPA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=eCfzCLqUPPA[/video]

I wonder if JA will put herself on the stand to tell her story, again. I doubt Judge SS will allow her 18 days this time. The presentation of the original case is only to inform the jurors of the facts. Will Jodi want to undergo cross again with Juan? He sure has her number.

I hope the new jurors will be able to analyze Jodi's character after seeing her in her "lawyer" mode for an extended period of time. Juan does know how to push her buttons.

It's so good to have something about the case to discuss here again! But I have sure have enjoyed the videos, pictures, etc. that's been going on.

AZlawyer, good morning. IMO, JA is such a narcicisst that she is oblivious to what people in the court and world really think of her. She is no longer that young, pretty girl she was back in 2008. Even her pouty look shouldn't touch the male jurors emotionally. I am not sure what Juan has in store for her this time. But during those 18 days that she testified she was well trained on how to give it right back to Juan. It surprised me and sickened me at the same time. I think even her family and her counsel just loathe her. She still thinks she is a master mind. I have to believe Juan will be prepared for her antics. Your last statement is on point I think. She wants some evidence in there that the judge would not allow and she will try to open her mouth and say it. It may be stricken from the record, but it will be heard. The rest, I believe, is nothing more than a stall tactic. And a way for her to get the last word somehow.
In the end, she deserves the most severe punishment, IMO, for what she did to Travis and for having no remorse.

I wonder if JA will put herself on the stand to tell her story, again. I doubt Judge SS will allow her 18 days this time. The presentation of the original case is only to inform the jurors of the facts. Will Jodi want to undergo cross again with Juan? He sure has her number.

I hope the new jurors will be able to analyze Jodi's character after seeing her in her "lawyer" mode for an extended period of time. Juan does know how to push her buttons.

It's so good to have something about the case to discuss here again! But I have sure have enjoyed the videos, pictures, etc. that's been going on.

I am still shocked that cameras aren't allowed in real time for us to be the judge of what is happening and not being spoon fed by the media. I would love to see JSS stand up to JA and slam her at every turn. I can't criticize JSS on whether she is fair or her intelligence but based on what I saw in the first trial she gave Jodi/Nurmi/Wilmott too much leeway. Somehow...call it stupidity...but I don't think Jodi is afraid of Juan. Maybe her narcicissm will do her in.

Now look up over Bobby's right shoulder........do you see the lines of coke on the table?

Is that coke? I don't know as I don't know very much about coke.

Could be anything and I don't think that missy:jail: does drugs, per se.
You could be right tho' and it is coke- maybe Bobby did it.

Don't remember if I posted this before, but if I did, here it is again: :facepalm:
-----------------

"Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer ordered a review of the state's execution process after a convicted double murderer gasped and snorted for more than an hour and a half before his death Wednesday...

...In ordering the review, Brewer said she was concerned by the length of time the administered drug protocol took to kill Wood.

"One thing is certain, however," Brewer's statement continued, "Wood died in a lawful manner and by eyewitness and medical accounts he did not suffer. This is in stark comparison to the gruesome, vicious suffering that he inflicted on his two victims - and the lifetime of suffering he has caused their family."..

...The case has highlighted scrutiny surrounding lethal injections after two controversial ones...

...Arizona uses the same drugs — the sedative midazolam and painkiller hydromorphone — that were used in the Ohio execution. A different drug combination was used in the Oklahoma case.

"States have been scrambling over the past many months to find new sources of drugs. They have been experimenting," said Megan McCracken, of the University of California, Berkeley, School of Law's Death Penalty Clinic. "These procedures are unreliable and the consequences are horrific."

States have refused to reveal details such as which pharmacies are supplying lethal injection drugs and who is administering them, because of concerns over harassment...."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/24/execution-joseph-rudolph-wood-arizona-inmate-takes-2-hours/
----

DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS STATEMENT ON REVIEW OF JULY 23 EXECUTION

"PHOENIX (Thursday, July 24, 2014) – Arizona Department of Corrections Director Charles Ryan today issued
a statement regarding the review of the execution of inmate Joseph Wood, ADC #086279:

“Immediately upon completion of the execution of inmate Wood, Governor Brewer directed me to conduct a
full review of the execution and the protocol. This protocol is on the department website at azcorrections.gov.
Accordingly, I ordered that all evidence connected to the execution procedure be collected and preserved for
review and investigation. This occurred prior to any court order to do so, and that review is already underway..."

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/documents/AZDOCStatementJosephWood.pdf

How Death Penalty Jurors are Unfairly Selected, Manipulated, and Kept in the Dark

(FYI-this is just one view of the DP and juries. I do not believe in the DP, but I do accept/support what the victim's family wants and just thought this article was interesting and others would like to read it [always good to get other's views, IMO], so take it with a grain of salt and use your common sense when you read it, whatever you believe- all this said here in this FYI statement, :moo:)

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/BlindJusticeReport.pdf

The good thing about Jodi going pro se is she can't use ineffective assistance of counsel once she's gets a DP sentence as an appeals issue.

I think she will do herself in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member