DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
These products:

aloedine-aloe-vera-iodineshampoo-farnam.jpg
vetericyn-canine-hot-spot.jpg

I'd have an allergy test done on him but it's really expensive.

This seems to be a more common issue with dogs in the last 10 years +, and I've got to believe it's a by-product of over vaccination, "Dog Parks", specialized dog foods, antibiotics given to meat animals for dog consumption, and all these flea and tick products.
Did this stuff happen 40-50 years ago? Um........not that I recall.

Ceder chip beds are a natural deterrent for fleas. Use a loosely fitting flea collar, don't use the "drops" or pills.
Use the Aloedine shampoo and make sure you rinse it off well after letting it sit for 5-10 minutes. The aloe will sooth the skin and the iodine will get rid of any bacteria and/or fungus.
Wash ALL of your dog's bedding. Hot water and a detergent like Dreft or Ivory Snow. No fragranced softners.
Benedryl pills will help with the itching if it persists.
Frontline makes a carpet and furniture flea spray but it may cause another allergy.
Vetericyn spray will help sooth and heal, it's also non-toxic so your dog can lick it with no issues.
Make sure his nails are clipped and sharp edges filed.
Really read the ingredients in his dog food. Lamb or chicken, and rice are the most palatable, nix the cereal fillers, and it doesn't have to be expensive dog food to be good.
Get your house and property exterminated, or DIY. Fleas LOVE hedges and dry brush. Ammonia sulfate used to "green up" your lawn will burn up fleas and their eggs, just don't let your dog out on the lawn for 24 hours and it's dry, and make sure you water the heck out of the grass during that 24 hours so the AS gets down in the soil.

Can't think of anything else at this point...........except that rodents (bunnies, gophers, squirrels, etc.) and cats do a good job of "spreading the joy" of fleas everywhere.

Great advice! I also would check his food content. BTW if you throw a couple of moth balls in your vacuum bag/canister and vacuum very well, especially along baseboards and cracks and crevasses the fleas/eggs will be sucked up and killed by the moth balls. JUST BE SURE TO KEEP MOTH BALLS AWAY FROM ANIMALS SO THEY CAN'T POSSIBLY INGEST!

hth :)

These products:

aloedine-aloe-vera-iodineshampoo-farnam.jpg
vetericyn-canine-hot-spot.jpg

I'd have an allergy test done on him but it's really expensive.

This seems to be a more common issue with dogs in the last 10 years +, and I've got to believe it's a by-product of over vaccination, "Dog Parks", specialized dog foods, antibiotics given to meat animals for dog consumption, and all these flea and tick products.
Did this stuff happen 40-50 years ago? Um........not that I recall.

Ceder chip beds are a natural deterrent for fleas. Use a loosely fitting flea collar, don't use the "drops" or pills.
Use the Aloedine shampoo and make sure you rinse it off well after letting it sit for 5-10 minutes. The aloe will sooth the skin and the iodine will get rid of any bacteria and/or fungus.
Wash ALL of your dog's bedding. Hot water and a detergent like Dreft or Ivory Snow. No fragranced softners.
Benedryl pills will help with the itching if it persists.
Frontline makes a carpet and furniture flea spray but it may cause another allergy.
Vetericyn spray will help sooth and heal, it's also non-toxic so your dog can lick it with no issues.
Make sure his nails are clipped and sharp edges filed.
Really read the ingredients in his dog food. Lamb or chicken, and rice are the most palatable, nix the cereal fillers, and it doesn't have to be expensive dog food to be good.
Get your house and property exterminated, or DIY. Fleas LOVE hedges and dry brush. Ammonia sulfate used to "green up" your lawn will burn up fleas and their eggs, just don't let your dog out on the lawn for 24 hours and it's dry, and make sure you water the heck out of the grass during that 24 hours so the AS gets down in the soil.

Can't think of anything else at this point...........except that rodents (bunnies, gophers, squirrels, etc.) and cats do a good job of "spreading the joy" of fleas everywhere.

Thanks so much Bernina and EVERYONE else. I am writing everyones suggestions down and I will begin to try some of the suggestions to give him some relief. By trial and error, one of these suggestions will surely help him.

Its been a real frustrating problem because he has had it so long and is quite miserable from it.

As someone mentioned already about Benedryl, when it gets real bad, I did try Benedryl (1/2 childrens tab) and that does help him, but he sleeps it off and then its back to itching.

I also have thought a lot about his food too. It maybe part of his issue because we did have him on a real tight diet due to "stones" he had to get surgery for many years ago and we had him on Wellness brand 95% for quite a few years before he developed this skin issue.

So lately, we have been supplementing his diet with other food choices just to make sure he gets a variety of different types of food. I have avoided any food with grains like corn because I was told that grains maybe bad for him.

Oh, and some good points about flea sources. We do have a cat too which is a garage/outdoor cat (our adopted feral) which I think may also have fleas and so I am going to do better to treat our cat with Frontline too and try to make sure the fleas get controlled.

Anyway, thanks for the great suggestions everyone. I will purchase and try some of the ideas and I will report back if I find something that significantly helps him out. I like some of the liquid suggestions too like the Aloedine + Vetericyn because I do want to just get him some relief. Then I can work on the root cause separately.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE. great ideas

Thanks so much Bernina and EVERYONE else. I am writing everyones suggestions down and I will begin to try some of the suggestions to give him some relief. By trial and error, one of these suggestions will surely help him.

Its been a real frustrating problem because he has had it so long and is quite miserable from it.

As someone mentioned already about Benedryl, when it gets real bad, I did try Benedryl (1/2 childrens tab) and that does help him, but he sleeps it off and then its back to itching.

I also have thought a lot about his food too. It maybe part of his issue because we did have him on a real tight diet due to "stones" he had to get surgery for many years ago and we had him on Wellness brand 95% for quite a few years before he developed this skin issue.

So lately, we have been supplementing his diet with other food choices just to make sure he gets a variety of different types of food. I have avoided any food with grains like corn because I was told that grains maybe bad for him.

Oh, and some good points about flea sources. We do have a cat too which is a garage/outdoor cat (our adopted feral) which I think may also have fleas and so I am going to do better to treat our cat with Frontline too and try to make sure the fleas get controlled.

Anyway, thanks for the great suggestions everyone. I will purchase and try some of the ideas and I will report back if I find something that significantly helps him out. I like some of the liquid suggestions too like the Aloedine + Vetericyn because I do want to just get him some relief. Then I can work on the root cause separately.

My brother in Washington has been dealing with the same issue for about 4 years with his short hair dog, a lab, Springer spaniel kind of mix. We put our heads together about 3 months ago because what had seemed a "problem" only in the summer was now a problem the entire year. He was getting pretty tired of giving Fletch one medication, only to have side effects that the vet gave other medication for.
You've really got to wonder if those flea pills and drops have changed the body chemistry of fleas, and if they pass histamines and medicated blood from an uneffected dog to one who is allergic to those flea medications?

Remember when Alpo w/horsemeat and Purina Dog Chow was the mix for most dogs? Your mom or dad would cook chicken or liver once a week for your dog, and maybe give them Brewer's Yeast tablets? Table scraps? You'd take your dog to the pound or vet for a "flea and tick dip", and rabies were required every 7 years? People accepted "natural selection", and if you had a few pups die suddenly, it was an immune deficiency? All you really had to worry about was hip problems if you had a breed that was prone to it, GS, Samoyd, etc? They lived into their late teens.

Where there's a demand, and money can be made, common sense gets lost by the wayside. 30 years ago, it was cheaper to have my vet come out for my critters than to take my kids in for their vaccinations, now it's entirely the opposite.

:gaah:

Ive been meaning to ask our Sidebar group if you know something I could put on my Yorkie's skin to help him out.

He has had a pretty bad case of some sort of skin problem that makes him itch really bad and his skin on his back has these little bumps/flaky scab type things. He itches really bad from it and his skin gets really warm in those areas.

I went to the Vet at least 5 different times over the course of 3 years now for this same condition that has never really went away. The vet at first thought it was some sort of skin allergy but then the Vet decided it was Fleas which he did have. So I have the dog on Flea medicine which is a monthly pill and part of a medicine that kills intestinal worms. It is supposed to kill fleas and flea eggs too.

Hes been on this for 4 months now and yet his skin problem is still there. The skin seemed to do a little better at first but those bumps/scabs are still pretty bad.

I also use Frontline for Fleas also.

So I was wondering about a couple things

1-Does anybody know of some kind of good lotion or creme or something that would soothe his itchy inflamed skin?
I've almost went as far as using Calydryl sometimes because i know his skin bothers him a lot and calydryl works great for itching for me but I havent used that yet because of course it isnt meant for dogs.

2-Do people think the Fleas + Flea eggs are maybe still under his skin and that may still be the real problem and it is just going to take more time for it to clear up?

3-Is his skin issue something else entirely and 2 different Vets havent got it right yet?

All opinions are welcome. Thanks everyone .

Hi Hatfield. My daughter is a vet tech and she said you can give your pooch Benadryl one milligram per pound to help with the itching. She said since you dog is so small, you can get Benadryl in liquid form and the pharmacist will give you a syringe with mil's on it. You squirt it behind the canine tooth. Hopefully that will help with the itching, and give it a chance to heal. She said as far as lotions, they sell them at a vets office. It's called Tresaderm. We had to purchase some for our own dog, because she had a "hot spot" from itching. It's good for their ears as well if they keep shaking their heads.

I don't think I would use frontline too, IF she is already on a monthly pill for fleas. It might be too much? I don't know, I'm just sayin if it were me.
We use Trifexis for fleas, heartworms and worms. It's in pill form.

She said it sounds like an allergy.

I never feed my dog Dog Food. He is a Lhasa Apso and their are known for having skin issues. I make my own dog food: chicken, turkey, mixed veggies and use rice as a filler. He's been on it for 8 years now and doing fine. For a snack he gets turkey jerky. He also get a Brewer's Yeast tablet daily. Not saying what I do will work for all, but it works for me :)

Remember years ago we had no Dog Food we could buy. They ate scraps and we didn't have flea meds.

And I've been wondering.. If JSS had thrown 17 off the jury and replaced her with another juror.. and that jury came back with 12 for death, could that have played into an appeal for Arias and maybe even have set her free later down the road? The defense could easily use that as Jury Tampering themselves. I'm not a lawyer so, I don't know.. just asking.
I'd rather see that bag of nuts Arias behind bars Forever than there being even a slight chance that she could walk one day.

As far as I know it would not have affected the guilty verdict.

By the way, I received a lovely email from Samantha which warmed my heart and made my day. God bless Travis' family.

I have a maltese that gets this same problem on her back, behind her tail. I have always put neosporin on it, bathe her in baby shampoo, and give her benadryl for the itching. If I keep the neosporin on it she seems to leave it alone better and that allows it time to heal. I will add that anytime I notice her biting or scratching that spot I go for the neosporin.

Ive been meaning to ask our Sidebar group if you know something I could put on my Yorkie's skin to help him out.

He has had a pretty bad case of some sort of skin problem that makes him itch really bad and his skin on his back has these little bumps/flaky scab type things. He itches really bad from it and his skin gets really warm in those areas.

I went to the Vet at least 5 different times over the course of 3 years now for this same condition that has never really went away. The vet at first thought it was some sort of skin allergy but then the Vet decided it was Fleas which he did have. So I have the dog on Flea medicine which is a monthly pill and part of a medicine that kills intestinal worms. It is supposed to kill fleas and flea eggs too.

Hes been on this for 4 months now and yet his skin problem is still there. The skin seemed to do a little better at first but those bumps/scabs are still pretty bad.

I also use Frontline for Fleas also.

So I was wondering about a couple things

1-Does anybody know of some kind of good lotion or creme or something that would soothe his itchy inflamed skin?
I've almost went as far as using Calydryl sometimes because i know his skin bothers him a lot and calydryl works great for itching for me but I havent used that yet because of course it isnt meant for dogs.

2-Do people think the Fleas + Flea eggs are maybe still under his skin and that may still be the real problem and it is just going to take more time for it to clear up?

3-Is his skin issue something else entirely and 2 different Vets havent got it right yet?

All opinions are welcome. Thanks everyone .

You have a lot of helpful suggestions already, but I will add my experience. My son's Bassett/beagle developed horrible itching and scratched himself raw and bald in many areas. No signs of fleas (he is on Frontline Plus). Vet tried all sorts of medicated shampoos and special foods. Not a bit of help and ungodly expensive.

Then we began treating him for a skin allergy that became a yeast infection. Prednisone and antibiotic. When he is on the antibiotic he does not seem to break out, but within a few days of stopping it gets real bad again. He is currently on antibiotic long-term. We had hoped winter weather would have an effect (particularly if it was only a few fleas and he was highly allergic to them). Winter changed nothing. Vet also recommended Oatmeal shampoo (I found some in pet area of Krogers), bathing once a week. I always thought you should not over-bathe a dog, but with this it is really important.

I have also also used Vaseline on small areas, and it was very helpful as long as he had not scratched himself raw and scabby. A cheap triple-antibiotic on the raw spots helps (vet approved it here).

Also .... my little fox terrier seems to be similarly affected in a very small area. As long as I give her a Benadryl tablet, twice a day, she is not scratching. Have not had to go to the vet with her. That helps my son's dog, too. Vet says it is very acceptable. Just be sure it is NOT an allergy med with anything extra ... antihistamine only! @10 mg for dogs under 30 pounds. Zyrtec is safe to use. I use generic for both meds. I put a blob of canned food around the tablet, or wrap it in a small piece of bread with peanut butter.

Sure hope something helps your pup. I have asked to so many people with a similar problem. It gets expensive!

I have a maltese that gets this same problem on her back, behind her tail. I have always put neosporin on it, bathe her in baby shampoo, and give her benadryl for the itching. If I keep the neosporin on it she seems to leave it alone better and that allows it time to heal. I will add that anytime I notice her biting or scratching that spot I go for the neosporin.

I get a hot spot spray from my vet that works very, very well. I had to quit using Frontline, plus, it doesn't work as well as it used to. Blade kept fleas the last time I applied it. I use Comfortis now and love it!

ETA to add SpellBounds suggestion for prednisone. It's irreplaceable!

Thanks so much to everyone.
I've caught up and wrote ALL the new replies down in my folder I keep for my dog.

A lot of the posts were right on the mark as to what I should try. I also need to get more aggressive in making sure i keep him bathed regularly and keep applying what does help him.

I feel bad because I sometimes tend to forget about his condition, and then when I see him rolling on the floor on his back to scratch himself like last night, I realize I need to do something.

A lot of the suggestions were perfect and on the mark.

Bernina brought up a really interesting theory. His condition did seem to develop like she was talking about. He was fine until he got a little older (maybe 8) and we had only been using Frontline for maybe 2 or 3 years, and since I probably was not using it as often as I was supposed to, he definitely did get a bad case of fleas. I think we have most of the fleas killed now off of him with his monthly worm "combo-flea-kill" medicine, but I do have to wonder about that great theory she has. The fleas themselves may have developed a resistance to the Frontline and the fleas themselves may deposit some sort of chemical into the dog and basically the dog gets allergic to that.

I dont think he has fleas anymore but he may still have the toxins from whatever the fleas put in his bloodstream or something like that. Because we inspect him real carefully after a good bath and we dont see any fleas. It basically is a skin condition.

It amazes me how close some of the posts were describing similar issues and in a weird way, it actually helps me to not feel alone. We have really tried to fight this condition for him many times.

The one thing I know I am guilty of is not staying persistant with treatments, so I definitely will ramp up my attack on this and at least keep him comfortable.

I will try to attack it on multiple fronts and try some of the suggestions for sure. I may give him a dose of benedryl tonight because I do know he gets instant relief from that. Its just hard to pill my dog. LOL

I like the 1 suggestion of the liquid, but I even tried that before and he wont let me get near him when I got a plastic syringe in hand. LOL It becomes hilarious as I try to fool my dog in giving him any kind of pill or liquid. What I find works best is to get some really good meat like a hotdog or steak chunks, and I take the time to dig out a hold and bury it in a small piece. Once he knows it is good meat, he usually will start swallowing whole to get the pill.

The funny thing is when he figures out what I am doing, he will chew his food more carefully and spit out the pill chunk. LOL

Oh...such fun we have.

AGAIN, THANKS SO MUCH TO EVERYONE. I really appreciate it and I copied each and every one of the replies into my folder.

I love coming here to our Sidebar thread. There are some really caring people here and I appreciate it very much.

THANK YOU ALL!!!

Hey everyone! :wave:

Same here, snow is melting and warming up. That is what causes my problems, the warm moisture in the air makes breathing hard for me. I'm fine when temp is low, but once it starts warming up, I start having issues.

That's the reason we didn't move to Latvia, as my Huz has really BAD asthma problems...

RUT ROW :lol: our goddess is in tra-UB-ble

@troyhaydenfox10: Court is working to move up #JodiArias sentencing to later this month, according to multiple sources. Reason unclear. http://t.co/5y2WPoFmKs

Maybe Sheriff Joe just wants to get rid of her :jail: !! :lol:

Yeah for Sheriff Joe on stopping her video chats!

Boy YESorNO - those were some cool pictures of what people did with the snow! Now I want snow here, so I can do some of those!!! LOL! :snowball: gotcha anyway... Glad to hear you had 70 degrees! Wow - that should melt your snow pretty fast.
We had a drizzle this morning, not much rain, unfortunately!

Now I'll go over to the thread to complain about the 25 posts per page.... :gaah:

:seeya: see ya all later!

Thanks so much to everyone.
I've caught up and wrote ALL the new replies down in my folder I keep for my dog.

A lot of the posts were right on the mark as to what I should try. I also need to get more aggressive in making sure i keep him bathed regularly and keep applying what does help him.

I feel bad because I sometimes tend to forget about his condition, and then when I see him rolling on the floor on his back to scratch himself like last night, I realize I need to do something.

A lot of the suggestions were perfect and on the mark.

Bernina brought up a really interesting theory. His condition did seem to develop like she was talking about. He was fine until he got a little older (maybe 8) and we had only been using Frontline for maybe 2 or 3 years, and since I probably was not using it as often as I was supposed to, he definitely did get a bad case of fleas. I think we have most of the fleas killed now off of him with his monthly worm "combo-flea-kill" medicine, but I do have to wonder about that great theory she has. The fleas themselves may have developed a resistance to the Frontline and the fleas themselves may deposit some sort of chemical into the dog and basically the dog gets allergic to that.

I dont think he has fleas anymore but he may still have the toxins from whatever the fleas put in his bloodstream or something like that. Because we inspect him real carefully after a good bath and we dont see any fleas. It basically is a skin condition.

It amazes me how close some of the posts were describing similar issues and in a weird way, it actually helps me to not feel alone. We have really tried to fight this condition for him many times.

The one thing I know I am guilty of is not staying persistant with treatments, so I definitely will ramp up my attack on this and at least keep him comfortable.

I will try to attack it on multiple fronts and try some of the suggestions for sure. I may give him a dose of benedryl tonight because I do know he gets instant relief from that. Its just hard to pill my dog. LOL

I like the 1 suggestion of the liquid, but I even tried that before and he wont let me get near him when I got a plastic syringe in hand. LOL It becomes hilarious as I try to fool my dog in giving him any kind of pill or liquid. What I find works best is to get some really good meat like a hotdog or steak chunks, and I take the time to dig out a hold and bury it in a small piece. Once he knows it is good meat, he usually will start swallowing whole to get the pill.

The funny thing is when he figures out what I am doing, he will chew his food more carefully and spit out the pill chunk. LOL

Oh...such fun we have.

AGAIN, THANKS SO MUCH TO EVERYONE. I really appreciate it and I copied each and every one of the replies into my folder.

I love coming here to our Sidebar thread. There are some really caring people here and I appreciate it very much.

THANK YOU ALL!!!
Adding to the mix: I have a Lab, and they are known for chronically itchy skin. Her middle name is Itchybutt! We feed her Nutramax brand Ultra dry dog food. It has essential oils already in it so you don't have to pay separately for them. Everybody comments on how glossy her coat is. We switched to Frontline for tick protection and she gets a pill for flea and heartworm. Her pill is beef or liver flavored, but we discovered she would take pills if we hid them in peanut butter. She loves peanut butter!!!

My one Border Terrier was having the same type of problem. I switched her to a total grain free diet & she has not had any problems since. Feed Honest Kitchen & grain free dry kibble. Honest Kitchen is really the tops. Good luck hope he feels better soon.

Troy Hayden ‏@troyhaydenfox10 34m34 minutes ago

Was just told despite efforts to move up #JodiArias sentencing, it will remain where originally scheduled. April 13th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela