SIDEBAR #50 - Arias/Alexander forum

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's all fine and good, but in the south the nail polish does work. It doesn't itch anymore after you put it on.

I was going to say that I've never heard of "chiggers," so I had to look it up. Sounds awful.

Seems like they're something that mostly afflicts southerners (?), but hey, you've still got most of us beat in terms of winter woes! :)

The first time I used Caladryl was in 1970 when I skipped work and went to Galveston, and got stung by a large jelly fish. I was out in water above my waist and felt this tremendous burning on my right ankle and foot and I reached down and grabbed something and when I brought it up out of the water I dropped it on my chest.

I was in horrible pain and had to walk back to our hotel room, and later a dinner at Gaido's where a busboy ran over my foot with a desert cart. By then my foot and ankle were quite swollen, and aspirin wasn't really helping. The next morning my friend went to a pharmacy and that is what they told him to use. It did help, some,and it was a long trip back to Dallas. I have a scar that is like a indentation and little tentacles marks across my foot. It took about a month to heal. Can you imagine the shame I felt on Monday morning after telling my boss I was going to see my grandmother, and come back to work with crutches and it wasn't a broken or sprained foot.

hahaha! That's a great story!

1937 - 69th Belmont: Charley Kurtsinger aboard War Admiral wins in 2:28.6

[video=youtube;BM-lQHVEklQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BM-lQHVEklQ[/video]

Happy Donut Day from the land of Voodoo Donuts!

My fave is a Homer Simpson - maple bar with bacon on top - it's the best hangover prevention I know ;)

voodoo.jpg

Sending hugs to you all.

:grouphug:

The first time I used Caladryl was in 1970 when I skipped work and went to Galveston, and got stung by a large jelly fish. I was out in water above my waist and felt this tremendous burning on my right ankle and foot and I reached down and grabbed something and when I brought it up out of the water I dropped it on my chest.

I was in horrible pain and had to walk back to our hotel room, and later a dinner at Gaido's where a busboy ran over my foot with a desert cart. By then my foot and ankle were quite swollen, and aspirin wasn't really helping. The next morning my friend went to a pharmacy and that is what they told him to use. It did help, some,and it was a long trip back to Dallas. I have a scar that is like a indentation and little tentacles marks across my foot. It took about a month to heal. Can you imagine the shame I felt on Monday morning after telling my boss I was going to see my grandmother, and come back to work with crutches and it wasn't a broken or sprained foot.

[video=youtube;KnPL5OXSBNE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KnPL5OXSBNE[/video]

That is quite a brutal trip to "visit Gram" :floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

That reminds me of a very similar "fun" vacation to Miami Beach that me and my wife-to-be went on many years ago.

The very first day on the beach I tried to warn her not to overdo the sunning because of the way the sun radiates off the sand. Well, she took no heed of the warnings and after noticing she was getting a little red, she finally got out of the sun but it was too late. For the next 3 or 4 hours in the motel room, her skin started to get redder and redder until I went on a mission to try to find a pharmacy open to get something for severe sunburn.

I came back with that "cooling Gel" type stuff for sunburns. Well, that was quite an ordeal trying to let me put some of that ice cold gel on her burnt back. I kept thinking the people in the next room would be calling the cops thinking I was murdering her. LOL

But here is where the story gets similar to yours. A double-whammy. The 2nd disaster happened to her the following day when she decides to walk barefoot in the sand and a fire ant got her foot!!!
Back to the motel room she went for the rest of that day and off to the Pharmacy I go again to try to get something for fire ant sting. LOL

I felt terrible for her. She had the worst 2 days of vacation ever in the most beatiful beach we had ever been to.

Luckily the rest of the week calmed down and she managed to enjoy herself as she healed each day. :)

Woke up with a leg cramp :( walked it out and now I'm wide awake :gaah: Might as well get my day started...

315fecf75ede039e8e09deb4531d1f88.jpg

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/31/5f/ec/315fecf75ede039e8e09deb4531d1f88.jpg

Captain Kangaroo ~ Who remembers watching him with a teeny tiny tv screen set in this monster of a box?

In the annals of televison, few children's programs ever made as much impact as Captain Kangaroo. Hosted by Bob Keeshan (at one time, he played Howdy Doody's friend, Clarabell) from the appropriately-named Captain's Place, the Captain was so named because he always wore an overcoat with large, kangaroo-like pouches. Each show featured stories, skits, vaudeville acts, songs, games and other educational activities. Captain Kangaroo's friends were Mr. Green Jeans (who always brought an animal to the show); Dennis, an apprentice handyman and do-it-all person; and Mr. Moose and Bunny Rabbit. Bunny was always mute, but made his point ever-so-cleverly, while Mr. Moose always tricked the Captain into allowing him to stand under a shower of pingpong balls. As the show got on in years, new features were added, including Uncle Backwards (a tape of some simple action, such as peeling an orange or building a doghouse, shown in reverse); "Picture Pages," a matching activity hosted by Bill Cosby.

This show premiered on CBS the same day Walt Disney's The Mickey Mouse Club (1955) premiered on ABC.

Most network shows were broadcast in color by the mid 1960s. CBS did not convert the Captain's early morning program to color until 1967.

This was US network television's longest running children's series, until surpassed in 1999 by PBS's Sesame Street (1969). It is still the longest running children's series on US commercial television.

Captain Kangaroo and crew hosted the CBS Macy's Thanksgiving Parade in the 1960's.

After the cancellation of Robert Keeshan's Saturday television show "Mister Mayor", the secondary characters joined the Captain Kangaroo show. These individuals included Dudley D. Dudley, whose job was being a substitute statue, Rollo the Hippopotamus and Aunt Maude.

Simple Question: Why?

Why are boxing rings square?

Why do we press harder on a remote control when we know the batteries are flat?

Why does someone believe you when you say there are four billion stars, but check when you say the paint is wet?

Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard?

Why does a round pizza come in a square box?

Why is it that people say they 'slept like a baby' when babies wake up, like, every two hours?

Why do banks charge a fee on 'insufficient funds' when they know there is not enough?

Weird Did-You-Know Facts?

More people are killed annually by donkeys than die in air crashes.

Every citizen of Kentucky is required by law to take a bath once a year.

No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver and purple.

The United States has never lost a war in which mules were used.

The only two nations whose name begins with an "A," but doesn't end in an "A," are Afghanistan and Azerbaijan.

A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.

Duelling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors.

porkupine.jpg

Interesting Facts About Porcupines

Fact 1 - Definition: A porcupine is a large rodent with a coat of sharp spines or quills which are mingled with fur and stand straight up when it is attacked, like a Hedgehog. The common species of Europe and Asia (Hystrix cristata) is the best known and their spines, or quills, can grow to a foot long. The American species (Erethizon) and the Canada porcupine (Erethizon dorsatus) have shorter spines, and are arboreal in their habits

Fact 2 - The porcupine raises its sharp quills when threatened

Fact 3 - The word 'porcupine' means 'one who rises up in anger'.

Fact 4 - The quills of baby porcupines are soft at birth but harden within an hour

Fact 5 - The North American porcupines have long, shaggy, brown or black-haired coat, with short spines

Fact 6 - The porcupine' spines or quills have tiny overlapping barbs, which are difficult to remove when embedded

Fact 7 - The porcupine lives in burrows

Fact 8 - Porcupine stats and facts
Weight: 2.2 to 40 lbs
Length: 25-36 inches
Tail Length: 6-12 inches
Habitat: Forests or brush-lands
Lifespan: 18 years
Diet: the Porcupine are herbivores eating mainly salt rich plants, tree leaves, grass and ferns.

Fact 9 - The porcupine has the ability to swim as its quills are hollow and buoyant

Fact 10 - The porcupine is also called the “quill pig”

Fact 11 - Contrary to popular legend, the porcupine cannot shoot its quills

Fact 12 - The male porcupine also helps the female in taking care of the young

Fact 13 - Porcupines are covered with as many as 30,000 spiny quills

Fact 14 - Porcupine quills are hollow and have spines on the end that make them hard to pull out

Fact 15 - The collective name for a group is an Array

Fact 16 - Males are called Boar

Fact 17 - Females are called Sow?

Fact 18 - The names given to babies are Pup or piglet
http://www.findfast.org/facts-about-porcupine.htm

images

Link: https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/...g_WrLCpcPJu6kkoV7UEYMhuYKeEIsIGVqprKhPCCnIsBl
--------------------------------------------------------------

Nebraska's Governor Threatens to Execute Prisoners Out of Spite

"After his state abolishes the death penalty, Governor Pete Ricketts vows to apply it to the 11 inmates still on death row...."

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ens-to-execute-prisoners-out-of-spite/394949/
--------------------------------------------

Something from Kelly:

The In House Psychic Presents ******’s Obituary (I think- a little raunchy :thinking:. Click link if you dare....)
dead-smiley.gif

http://reallybigmeandog.com/2015/06/05/the-in-house-psychic-presents-stabbys-obituary/

dead-thread-smiley.gif

:floorlaugh:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It’s really not worth spending more money on “natural” pet food

"...The lawsuit is emblematic of a changing tide in pet food that mirrors what is happening in human food. Consumers are moving away from processed foods and connecting the word “natural”—sometimes mistakenly—with healthful. They’re also willing to pay more for it: “natural” pet food costs, on average, 50% more than typical pet food, according to market research firm GfK. But just as with human food, “natural” has no real meaning in pet food. “When it comes to using a natural label claim on a pet food, just about anything goes,” Debbie Phillips-Donaldson, editor in chief of the trade publication Petfood Industry, wrote last month.

The same zeitgeist has vilified meals, by-products and by-product meals, all of which are defined and common ingredients. (A “by-product” refers to edible parts of the listed animal that American consumers don’t want to eat, like organs and feet.”Meal” refers to parts that have been rendered. A “by-product meal” refers to by-products that have been rendered. Rendering involves heating animal parts, straining out the liquid, and grinding up the remaining fat, bone, and protein.)

“There’s really nothing wrong with feeding those kinds of products to animals,” says Dr. Cailin Heinze, a board-certified veterinary nutritionist at Tufts University. “Organ meats actually have much more nutrients in them than muscle meats.”..."

http://qz.com/418130/its-really-not-worth-spending-more-money-on-natural-pet-food-blue-buffalo/
-----------------------------------------------------------

Princess Charlotte's Christening Date Revealed – and It's at the Same Church Where Princess Diana Was Baptized

"...The service for the little royal will be held on July 5, at St. Mary Magdalene's Church on Queen Elizabeth II's Sandringham estate, Kensington Palace said in a statement to PEOPLE on Friday. ...

The one-month-old is expected to be christened in the traditional christening gown, which was designed by the Queen's assistant, Angela Kelly, and Buckingham Palace's team of dressmakers in 2008 and based on a christening gown commissioned by Queen Victoria in the 19th century."

http://www.people.com/people/package/article/0,,20395222_20928419,00.html

a515ef085ce071f0dda2e04f4a0df985.jpg

Link: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/a5/15/ef/a515ef085ce071f0dda2e04f4a0df985.jpg

Scientists Say Your Eye Color Reveals Information About Your Personality

"...Scientists at Orebro University in Sweden studied 428 subjects to see if their personalities were linked to the irises in their eye. They found that our eye color is affected by the same genes that form our frontal lobes, thus there are distinctly shared behaviors in people with similar irises...."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/littl...ye-c_b_7510754.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

eyecolor-20130125T022736-qmxyh2j.png

Link: http://www.ladylifehacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/eyecolor-20130125T022736-qmxyh2j.png

Hi guys :wave:
So many posts that I want to reply to! But I am so annoyed with ws right now. Do any other of you all have the chase bank video at the top right that KEEPS playing over and over, even if you Stop it? I've never had that happen until today. I've only got that ONE ad, the rest don't show. It's driving me crazy!! Does anyone else have ad's with sound?????

Niner, you are quite lovely. I wish I had half of all the hair you have!!!!

Be back later to reply to others :loveyou:

I had Honey Nut Cheerios with sliced bananas for breakfast and my eyes are brown :)

Morning all! :wave:

You look exactly how I pictured you (only, I thought you had short hair, no glasses :floorlaugh: ). Crazy how I picture people on WS (but I was correct about you). :lol:
Handsome pair, IMO. :)

well - close - posting a picture of me in the late 1960s... you thought right!! :happydance: short hair and contacts!

Niner It's not from scratch, but it tastes so good (tell your husband to try it) :floorlaugh:

Never!! :laughing: He would NEVER eat this... he makes Swiss (Cheese) & Macaroni - old Swiss recipe from his grandmother!

Attachments

• Clipboard25.jpg
    Clipboard25.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 83
Hi coffeejunkie :wave:

I had Honey Nut Cheerios with sliced bananas for breakfast and my eyes are brown :)

I had Cherrios (without the bananas!!!) and my eyes are hazel!!

:tyou: for all the informative posts!! I learn something new everyday here!!

and I too am having problems with WS this morning... :gaah: When I go to the next page - it comes up "Websleuths.com is not responding" and than I have hit "Recover Page" and it takes FOREVER!!!! :gaah:

off to read some other threads and will be back...

:seeya:

Maybe we need a new thread? I have mine set on 50 per page and it says we have 27 pages of post. That is a lot of post IMO :)

So long as your Macbook has a way to get an HDMI cable from your Macbook over to the TV, it will work.

My Laptop has an HDMI port itself and my TV has an HDMI port and so all I do is plug an HDMI cable direct from my laptop to my TV. Then after doing that, you have to take your TV remote (not the cable or satellite remote) and change the SOURCE setting (using menu options) to change the SOURCE to the "PC" or "Computer" source instead of the cable or satellite or antennea source.

Then it comes in automatically.

If your Macbook does not have an HDMI port, a good knowledgeable electronics store may be able to sell you some sort of USB port converter that can get the computer signal from a USB signal over to an HDMI cable or something like that.

You have got to find a way to get your Macbook to hook to an HDMI cable and other end goes to TV.

ANOTHER OPTION.
If you have a wireless router, and if your TV is internet ready and a true smart TV that receives a wireless signal OR has an Ethernet cable connection, then you can hook your TV up direct to your router by either wireless connection OR Ethernet cable connection. And just use the TV options.

But I have never tried any of that and I have good luck getting my computer to go direct to my TV by HDMI cable. That way, whatever I bring up on my computer screen is shown on my TV. I use the computer to navigate to whatever I want.

If using just the TV + router, the problem is you are limited on whatever the TV can do as far as getting to internet sites.

HOPE THIS HELPS
Hatfield,
Yes, this indeed does help. Can't thank you enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimmyann4141