SIDEBAR #50 - Arias/Alexander forum

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Captain Kangaroo! I loved the Captain, cj. My brother and I were partial to The Banana Man; we would just get hysterical. Looking at this YouTube clip now, though, I can see where he might trigger clown phobia in children with nervous constitutions...lol:

[video=youtube;ae5I_ZbE06Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae5I_ZbE06Y[/video]

Niner, they breed 'em for beauty in your family...you and your brother are clearly a cut above. Lovely!

Hatfield! Don't be such a stranger...sheesh. :)

LOVE all the fun facts, vids etc. posted by YESorNO, coffeejunkie, ILikeToBendPages...if Websleuths (and the internet!) had existed back in the early 70s, I could have skipped college (and those pesky loans) and gotten a pretty good all-around education right here!

Hi guys :wave:
So many posts that I want to reply to! But I am so annoyed with ws right now. Do any other of you all have the chase bank video at the top right that KEEPS playing over and over, even if you Stop it? I've never had that happen until today. I've only got that ONE ad, the rest don't show. It's driving me crazy!! Does anyone else have ad's with sound?????

Niner, you are quite lovely. I wish I had half of all the hair you have!!!!

Be back later to reply to others :loveyou:

BBM. Try " Super". WS was all wonky on me the other day too.....

That is quite a brutal trip to "visit Gram" :floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

That reminds me of a very similar "fun" vacation to Miami Beach that me and my wife-to-be went on many years ago.

The very first day on the beach I tried to warn her not to overdo the sunning because of the way the sun radiates off the sand. Well, she took no heed of the warnings and after noticing she was getting a little red, she finally got out of the sun but it was too late. For the next 3 or 4 hours in the motel room, her skin started to get redder and redder until I went on a mission to try to find a pharmacy open to get something for severe sunburn.

I came back with that "cooling Gel" type stuff for sunburns. Well, that was quite an ordeal trying to let me put some of that ice cold gel on her burnt back. I kept thinking the people in the next room would be calling the cops thinking I was murdering her. LOL

But here is where the story gets similar to yours. A double-whammy. The 2nd disaster happened to her the following day when she decides to walk barefoot in the sand and a fire ant got her foot!!!
Back to the motel room she went for the rest of that day and off to the Pharmacy I go again to try to get something for fire ant sting. LOL

I felt terrible for her. She had the worst 2 days of vacation ever in the most beatiful beach we had ever been to.

Luckily the rest of the week calmed down and she managed to enjoy herself as she healed each day. :)

I tend to avoid full sun exposure after several times of severe sunburn. Back in the day that was the thing to lay outside in your backyard getting a tan before school got out, and you used a bottle of baby oil with iodine in it.

The first time I was at our local swimming pool in the afternoon. I had a date that night and we went to the drive in and my sunburn kept getting worse and redder. It hurt to get out of the car after sitting on vinyl seats.
The next time was fishing at Lake Quitman, when we got there at sunrise, I decided to fish for perch, and did until about eleven and went in. It got redder and redder and your skins feel like it's on fire. I couldn't sleep and kept tossing and turning, and was just miserable. There was no aloe gel - or Noxzema that you keep in the refrigerator, and it's icy cold and feels so good.
The third and last time was our last day in South Padre Island sitting at the pool in the early morning with a top on, before we left. I thought that it being early I would be OK. We packed up and I was a little red around my neck. So we load up and head back to Dallas, and as mile after mile my sunburn grew worse. By the time we got home (a nine hour trip) my legs, arms and neck were really burned, I made up my mind that I would avoid the sun, and use sunscreen, and I use the highest that I can. I don't get in direct sun if I can avoid it. I'm a redhead and fair so the sun and I don't have a good relationship. In the south the sun's rays are stronger and those who visit us from up north, can get burned very quickly.

I posted in Beau Biden's thread, but wanted to come here and share.

I went to the viewing last night, thinking I would stand in line and wait for my DH to get there. Most of the area was blocked off, 4 blocks each direction. I did not realize that the route I thought I could walk, which wasn't that far in theory, was blocked off to pedestrian traffic. As most of you know, I don't get out much, nor do I walk any distances to speak of. So I slowly walked the pedestrian path, which included a long walk uphill. To give you a visual, picture a short, plump woman walking as though she is twerking the entire time. It is very difficult for me to stand up straight and I look like a question mark most of the time. Or Nicki Minaj..

By the time I got up to the church, I was in agony, perspiring and winded from debilitation and unusual exertion. I had to go through the Security checkpoint, manned by Homeland Security agents. I set off the alarm and had to go back through. I used the sides of the metal detector as support to stand. The agent became alarmed at my appearance and apparent instability and called the paramedics over. A Secret Service agent came over with them and kindly offered their assistance walking me into the church. I by passed the long line and was able to stand in the aisle of the air conditioned church. I thanked them and told them that I probably should not have tried this, but that Beau was worth it and it was important to me that I be there to pay my respects.

St. Anthony's of Padua Church is a large gothic looking church with beautiful columns. I think it seats 1K people and the church was chosen because it could hold so many people and was air conditioned. Secret Service agents, Wilmington City police, New Castle County police and Delaware State police along with members of the military and Delaware National Guard were omnipresent, both inside and outside the church. I didn't look to see if there were sharp shooters on the surrounding rooftops or houses, but I assume they were there. I had glanced at the long line before being helped to the short line, and there were hundreds of people waiting several hours to go pay their respects. At that time, I think the wait was 2 hours.

As I stood in the aisle, I observed a lot of politicians, lawmakers as well as a lot of plain folk like me. Joe's sister, Valerie and her daughter, Joe's niece, Missy, greeted people who were waiting. Missy babysat for me when my children were little and is now an attorney, working in Washington. Valerie has run every single one of Joe's campaigns (and the only woman to ever do so in Senatorial campaigns) and helped raise Beau and Hunter until Joe married Jill. She continued to play an important role in their lives and still does. I told Valerie that it was my firm belief that she, her mother (Mom Mom Biden) and Jill greatly influenced and helped mold Beau into the man he was. As she said, they were "her boys too".

I got up to the casket, draped in the American flag, guarded by several military members that stood at attention. The tears started falling as I stroked that casket and placed a kiss from my hand on it. Joe was the first to be greeted and I just hugged him as tears kept streaming. There were few words that I could say so I just hugged him. I told him how sorry I was and how I felt about Beau and all of his family. He held my hand and kissed my cheek. He spoke of my brother's loss and that he knew I knew. It was all I could do to keep it together, as best as I could.

Then I came face to face with Jill, my beautiful, smart, gracious, kind and loving friends, who possesses strength I will never know. The tears are flowing freely as I hugged and kissed her and just held on. I dint have to say much as few words can communicate so much. Hunter just held me and put his arms around me. I told him how much I loved them and Joe turns his head and says he knew. He just knew.

In the pews at that time were Hallie, Ashley and Bonnie, Jill's sister and we shared loving words and embraces. Hallie had been standing and receiving kind words for over 6 hours total by that point and was exhausted. I know It is not easy being a Biden as so much is "expected". She has handled the outpouring of condolences with such grace, in her quiet unassuming way.

I sat in the pew behind them, waiting for my DH to come through the receiving line. The SS put him through the short line thankfully. We spoke to Kathleen and her dad before leaving and quietly exited the church. I was able to give Beau's casket one final look goodbye. I loved him.

The Secret Service kindly made an allowance for me and I was able to walk down the closest access street which was closed to pedestrians. They opened the barriers and let us pass. I was in agony by this point as my husband helped me navigate the 4 blocks to where I could wait for him to get the car. The SS agent that had told me that I couldn't go up that way in the beginning, looked rather sheepish as he saw me clutching onto my DH in order to walk. I had passed member of the National Guard and LEO that were guarding the blocked off streets and thanked them for their service. I think Beau would have appreciated that.

I knew I would never be able to make the funeral today, so I watched it on C SPAN. I thought the service was lovely and moving. All the dignitaries that attended, honoring both Joe and Beau, was a wonderful testament. I could see a lot of Biden Family friends seated, as well as former staffers of Joe's Senate office, who watched Beau grow up into such a fine man.

How nice of Chris Martin, of Coldplay, to want to come and honor Beau by singing at the funeral. I thought Obama's eulogy was perfect, one of the best I have heard. It gave me more of an idea what Obama the man was probably like, when you remove politics from the equation. The music that was played were beautiful and most likely picked by Valerie.

There was a reception at Archmere Academy where the Biden children went to high school after the funeral. Needless to say, I didn't attend that either. I was pretty spent from just watching the beautiful service. My daughter and husband sat with me and watched it, honoring the family in such a simple way. My DD didn't even chatter like she usually does when the TV is on...;).

I just wanted to share this with you all from a very personal perspective. I realize these posts are very long. I have been leaning on all of you heavily this week, just as I have in weeks past. You are my friends and I care so much about all of you. God Bless. Xo

Oh Zuri that was just beautifully written. I can barely see the screen for my tears. There are no sufficient words to truly thank you for sharing your friend Beau with us.

Blessings to Beau and all the hurting hearts who love him.

La Louve

View attachment 75922

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/31/5f/ec/315fecf75ede039e8e09deb4531d1f88.jpg

Captain Kangaroo ~ Who remembers watching him with a teeny tiny tv screen set in this monster of a box?

n the annals of televison, few children's programs ever made as much impact as Captain Kangaroo. Hosted by Bob Keeshan (at one time, he played Howdy Doody's friend, Clarabell) from the appropriately-named Captain's Place, the Captain was so named because he always wore an overcoat with large, kangaroo-like pouches. Each show featured stories, skits, vaudeville acts, songs, games and other educational activities. Captain Kangaroo's friends were Mr. Green Jeans (who always brought an animal to the show); Dennis, an apprentice handyman and do-it-all person; and Mr. Moose and Bunny Rabbit. Bunny was always mute, but made his point ever-so-cleverly, while Mr. Moose always tricked the Captain into allowing him to stand under a shower of pingpong balls. As the show got on in years, new features were added, including Uncle Backwards (a tape of some simple action, such as peeling an orange or building a doghouse, shown in reverse); "Picture Pages," a matching activity hosted by Bill Cosby.

This show premiered on CBS the same day Walt Disney's The Mickey Mouse Club (1955) premiered on ABC.

Most network shows were broadcast in color by the mid 1960s. CBS did not convert the Captain's early morning program to color until 1967.

This was US network television's longest running children's series, until surpassed in 1999 by PBS's Sesame Street (1969). It is still the longest running children's series on US commercial television.

Captain Kangaroo and crew hosted the CBS Macy's Thanksgiving Parade in the 1960's.

After the cancellation of Robert Keeshan's Saturday television show "Mister Mayor", the secondary characters joined the Captain Kangaroo show. These individuals included Dudley D. Dudley, whose job was being a substitute statue, Rollo the Hippopotamus and Aunt Maude.

Don't forget Mr. Green Jeans, he was my favorite. I remember watching it and Uncle Lee winding the grandfather clock.

www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20094324,00.html

Do you remember Romper Room? with Ms. She was married to satan himself. Christina Henry fled to Arizona to her parents after several beatings, an incident of trying to kill their newborn son, and another incident of him taking pictures of her swimming and there is an alligator in the background coming after her. He thought it was funny. He beat her and their newborn son. He stalked her house in Arizona and had plans to break in and kill her.

"DFW airport police and FBI agents were looking at passengers coming off an American Airlines flight from Tucson. They were looking for a man named A. Donald Vester, who had aroused the suspicion of a Tucson ticket clerk by his bizarre appearance and behavior. According to the clerk, Vester had the massive torso of a weightlifter and a tiny head. He was wearing a foolish-looking black wig, and when he moved his arms his biceps seemed to wrinkle.

Vester had acted so jumpy when he tried to check his briefcase that the clerk told him he would have to carry it on board. When scanned a clerk saw what looked like a pistol. Vestor (Dr. Henry) was asked to open the briefcase, he'd said that he'd lost the key. He voluntarily handed the briefcase over and they let him board his flight to Dallas. LE bomb experts pried the briefcase open and found burglary tools and a .32-caliber pistol and nine bullets, glass cutter, glue, pliers, a plumber's helper, 23 firecrackers, string, three books of matches and a double-edged hunting knife.

In Dallas,no one getting off the plane looked like Vester's description. An FBI agent saw black hair hanging out of a man's raincoat pocket, and asked if he was "Donald Vester" ( he said he liked to travel under different names), and when LE asked him to empty his pockets, he had a bottle of pills, safety pins, a street map of Tucson, a car-rental with hand-written notes and a wallet with two full sets of identification in two different names, neither were for A. Donald Vester. But here was a Maryland driver's license, social security and library cards, and a post office receipt, all in an other person's name. There were also credit cards and a U.S. Public Health Services ID identifying the bearer as Dr. Patrick Henry. (He told her many times how he would kill someone. He would use safety pins to stick in their eyes, and place fircrackers, if a woman, in her vagina and up her butt. That the explosives couldn't be too powerful, because he wanted to be close and watch.

FBI agents confirmed that the man was indeed Dr. Patrick G. Henry, and he was registered at a hotel in Dallas, and had been at a medical conference. Apparently he had left the conference, flown to Tucson and returned to Dallas under a false name." They couldn't detain him and had to let him go, but kept his suitcase and it's contents."

Later after looking at the notes on the rental car agreement they discovered it the had the address of his ex wife and in code on Hertz application was what looked to like a burglary plan: "In 1409; select window; tape, plunger; thru-open; find T; M T; out front; or rm window." LE wondered what "T" stand for? and "M"? The agent thought of the gun and the double-edged knife." LE said they thought he was going to torture kill her that night, but was scared away.

Anyway, she was said to of been one of the Romper Room teachers, but I don't know where. There were franchises in different places in the U.S. and I don't know which one. I read this book "Deadly Intentions" by William Randolph Stevens, way back when it first came out. I also remember the news of Henry being detained. Also his case IIRC was one of the cutting edge ,and maybe the first time DNA was used in a trial. Patrick Henry was released from prison in 1986. There have been two movies about it. One in 1985 and a remake in

I wonder if Zuri followed this trial back when she was a mere child. Romper Room also started in Baltimore. Remember the magic mirror? The punching bag clown?

[video=youtube;OvSl9tNDtTc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OvSl9tNDtTc[/video]

Lovely posts, Zuri. I am sorry you were not able to attend the service today, but grateful you managed to be there when the family actually was able to share a few moments with you. You are a true friend, my lovely lady. We will be here to carry you through the days ahead. Sadness does not end with a funeral. It can linger and poo up when you least expect. Come and share if you feel an urge.

:hug:

Zuri, I came here specifically this afternoon hoping for a post from you. Thank you for sharing your friend Beau's memorial with us.

Lovely posts, Zuri. I am sorry you were not able to attend the service today, but grateful you managed to be there when the family actually was able to share a few moments with you. You are a true friend, my lovely lady. We will be here to carry you through the days ahead. Sadness does not end with a funeral. It can linger and poo up when you least expect. Come and share if you feel an urge.

:hug:

Zuri, I came here specifically this afternoon hoping for a post from you. Thank you for sharing your friend Beau's memorial with us.

Thank you for your kind words. They mean so very very much. It was Joe who made the connection between the loss of Beau and my brother. I had not consciously done that and I realized that I had been triggered by Beau's death. My grief is disproportionate I guess as I hurt so for Hunter and Ashley, Jill and Joe. It is that I know the acute pain that is to come after the business of death is past.

I am spending my day in bed, watching the Belmont undercard races until the Belmont is run. I hope this will be the year that a Triple Crown winner is crowned. Horses give me such peace, when I cannot find it anywhere else.

My breeding vet just called to tell me my mare was not in foal. I had bred her 2 weeks ago and was hoping for a black dot on ultrasound. It is just not meant to be. I plan on finding her a home where someone can love and enjoy her and ride trails and give her bubble baths. She is just not meant to be a mom I guess. She is just meant to be loved for her sweet self.

So fingers crossed American Pharoah will win the Triple Crown. If you choose, it is being televised on NBC. Xo

I posted in Beau Biden's thread, but wanted to come here and share.

I went to the viewing last night, thinking I would stand in line and wait for my DH to get there. Most of the area was blocked off, 4 blocks each direction. I did not realize that the route I thought I could walk, which wasn't that far in theory, was blocked off to pedestrian traffic. As most of you know, I don't get out much, nor do I walk any distances to speak of. So I slowly walked the pedestrian path, which included a long walk uphill. To give you a visual, picture a short, plump woman walking as though she is twerking the entire time. It is very difficult for me to stand up straight and I look like a question mark most of the time. Or Nicki Minaj..

By the time I got up to the church, I was in agony, perspiring and winded from debilitation and unusual exertion. I had to go through the Security checkpoint, manned by Homeland Security agents. I set off the alarm and had to go back through. I used the sides of the metal detector as support to stand. The agent became alarmed at my appearance and apparent instability and called the paramedics over. A Secret Service agent came over with them and kindly offered their assistance walking me into the church. I by passed the long line and was able to stand in the aisle of the air conditioned church. I thanked them and told them that I probably should not have tried this, but that Beau was worth it and it was important to me that I be there to pay my respects.

St. Anthony's of Padua Church is a large gothic looking church with beautiful columns. I think it seats 1K people and the church was chosen because it could hold so many people and was air conditioned. Secret Service agents, Wilmington City police, New Castle County police and Delaware State police along with members of the military and Delaware National Guard were omnipresent, both inside and outside the church. I didn't look to see if there were sharp shooters on the surrounding rooftops or houses, but I assume they were there. I had glanced at the long line before being helped to the short line, and there were hundreds of people waiting several hours to go pay their respects. At that time, I think the wait was 2 hours.

As I stood in the aisle, I observed a lot of politicians, lawmakers as well as a lot of plain folk like me. Joe's sister, Valerie and her daughter, Joe's niece, Missy, greeted people who were waiting. Missy babysat for me when my children were little and is now an attorney, working in Washington. Valerie has run every single one of Joe's campaigns (and the only woman to ever do so in Senatorial campaigns) and helped raise Beau and Hunter until Joe married Jill. She continued to play an important role in their lives and still does. I told Valerie that it was my firm belief that she, her mother (Mom Mom Biden) and Jill greatly influenced and helped mold Beau into the man he was. As she said, they were "her boys too".

I got up to the casket, draped in the American flag, guarded by several military members that stood at attention. The tears started falling as I stroked that casket and placed a kiss from my hand on it. Joe was the first to be greeted and I just hugged him as tears kept streaming. There were few words that I could say so I just hugged him. I told him how sorry I was and how I felt about Beau and all of his family. He held my hand and kissed my cheek. He spoke of my brother's loss and that he knew I knew. It was all I could do to keep it together, as best as I could.

Then I came face to face with Jill, my beautiful, smart, gracious, kind and loving friends, who possesses strength I will never know. The tears are flowing freely as I hugged and kissed her and just held on. I dint have to say much as few words can communicate so much. Hunter just held me and put his arms around me. I told him how much I loved them and Joe turns his head and says he knew. He just knew.

In the pews at that time were Hallie, Ashley and Bonnie, Jill's sister and we shared loving words and embraces. Hallie had been standing and receiving kind words for over 6 hours total by that point and was exhausted. I know It is not easy being a Biden as so much is "expected". She has handled the outpouring of condolences with such grace, in her quiet unassuming way.

I sat in the pew behind them, waiting for my DH to come through the receiving line. The SS put him through the short line thankfully. We spoke to Kathleen and her dad before leaving and quietly exited the church. I was able to give Beau's casket one final look goodbye. I loved him.

The Secret Service kindly made an allowance for me and I was able to walk down the closest access street which was closed to pedestrians. They opened the barriers and let us pass. I was in agony by this point as my husband helped me navigate the 4 blocks to where I could wait for him to get the car. The SS agent that had told me that I couldn't go up that way in the beginning, looked rather sheepish as he saw me clutching onto my DH in order to walk. I had passed member of the National Guard and LEO that were guarding the blocked off streets and thanked them for their service. I think Beau would have appreciated that.

I don't cry easy--your post made me cry. God bless you! Loved your description of yourself "tweeking" take care of yourself dear Zuri.

Joe has always appeared to be warm and friendly--I feel for his loss.

This day May 6th is a hard day for many. So much sorrow from war.

[video=youtube;QE2f4pbjJv8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QE2f4pbjJv8[/video]

and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.

Thank you for your kind words. They mean so very very much. It was Joe who made the connection between the loss of Beau and my brother. I had not consciously done that and I realized that I had been triggered by Beau's death. My grief is disproportionate I guess as I hurt so for Hunter and Ashley, Jill and Joe. It is that I know the acute pain that is to come after the business of death is past.

I am spending my day in bed, watching the Belmont undercard races until the Belmont is run. I hope this will be the year that a Triple Crown winner is crowned. Horses give me such peace, when I cannot find it anywhere else.

My breeding vet just called to tell me my mare was not in foal. I had bred her 2 weeks ago and was hoping for a black dot on ultrasound. It is just not meant to be. I plan on finding her a home where someone can love and enjoy her and ride trails and give her bubble baths. She is just not meant to be a mom I guess. She is just meant to be loved for her sweet self.

So fingers crossed American Pharoah will win the Triple Crown. If you choose, it is being televised on NBC. Xo

Hello Zuri. As many others here have said, we are here for you whenever you want to just vent or use as a sounding board OR just share any thoughts in the days ahead. People are right that many days after is when things sometimes get tough so feel free to vent whenever you need to.

I am watching the big race right now and my first thought was to come here and let everyone know I am so excited for all our horse lovers here. It is wonderful to see the horses work and they enjoy it as much as we do. I love watching the horses reactions as they get ready. It is a wonderful thing. Human + Animal interaction.

Off to the other room to watch.

I love Bellmont and NY. Its a unique city.

"If I can make it there,
I'll make it anywhere."

In the midst of sorrow, there can be joy. American Pharoah has won the Triple Crown, after 37 years of almosts. The race brought me to my feet, wildly clapping. Congratulations American Pharoah and his people. Great horse.

In the midst of sorrow, there can be joy. American Pharoah has won the Triple Crown, after 37 years of almosts. The race brought me to my feet, wildly clapping. Congratulations American Pharoah and his people. Great horse.

Thank you for your very moving account of Beau Biden's viewing, Zuri. What an emotional day.

And yes, congrats to the Triple Crown winner! I live in the Ocala, FL area which has many thoroughbred horse farms; it's kind of the "cottage industry" here. American Pharoah is no exception...he was broken and trained in Citra by Marion County-based J.B. McKathan (source: Ocala Star-Banner). So it's a very big deal here!

Affirmed, who won the Triple Crown in 1978, also had Florida connections; he was bred by Louis E. Wolfson's Harbor View Farm, also in Marion County (source: Wikipedia).

Florida sits on a limestone base; makes for strong bones in the horses that graze on its lovely green grass! :)

It was GREAT!!!

Tears of Joy are still streaming down my face. What an incredible horse!!!

He looked so much like Secretariat the way he pulled out to an incredible lead near the finish.
What a super strong amazing horse.

YIPEEEEEE !!!!!

Oh shoot - just missed the race - who won?? American Pharoh?

Signing off for the night! See you all tomorrow.

:pcguru:

:wave:

:congrats: I suspect someone up there is smiling along with you, Zuri. It is good to find a smile after such sadness. Beau is glad you found yours.... I promise. Congratulations on a fine ride, American Pharoah.

Zuri, I was thinking of you as I watched this great moment in horse racing. So uplifting!

ETA: He only missed Secretariat's track record by 2 seconds, and even though he took the early lead, he didn't come out of the gate all that well--what an amazing horse! :)

I missed it!!!!

7996724_G.jpg

7996672_G.jpg

7996671_G.jpg

http://www.kpho.com/story/29257056/...riple-crown-winner-in-37-years?autostart=true

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimmyann4141