SIDEBAR #56 - Travis Alexander forum

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
1961 - Runaround Sue - Dion tops the charts. Good morning all to our northern you early birds. Hope you're all warm and not freezing your tail feathers off.

[video=youtu;ID-jsd0HGZs]http://youtu.be/ID-jsd0HGZs[/video]

:welcome4: For all the ones that I may have missed...it so nice see new 'faces' :greetings:

Just curious, where are you finding these "new" things, Zuri?

I joined Karas On Crime, Beth Karas' website, to read all the text messages. I then read the comments where links were also posted by others to various other websites and blogs. I copied them and brought them over here. I am learning a lot I didn't know before and after reading the texts, I have a better understanding of what was going on in Travis' life. HTH

I did not sleep well last night as I was pretty upset/angry that anyone would view the SB as anything other than an open forum for posters to come and share anything they want to share. The Sidebar was started for exactly that reason almost 3 years ago. Whether other members wish to post or avail themselves of the information, stories, news, music videos, thoughts is up to them.

The kindness, love, friendship, support and caring is the predominant theme on this thread. IMO, there is no other thread like it on WS and it has been a place where anyone could stop in and feel better, share or simply read. I have read posts/messages here where people read here every morning just to start their day off right. The SB has touched a lot of folks, which is why it still exists. IMOO

I did not sleep well last night as I was pretty upset/angry that anyone would view the SB as anything other than an open forum for posters to come and share anything they want to share. The Sidebar was started for exactly that reason almost 3 years ago. Whether other members wish to post or avail themselves of the information, stories, news, music videos, thoughts is up to them.

The kindness, love, friendship, support and caring is the predominant theme on this thread. IMO, there is no other thread like it on WS and it has been a place where anyone could stop in and feel better, share or simply read. I have read posts/messages here where people read here every morning just to start their day off right. The SB has touched a lot of folks, which is why it still exists. IMOO

Zuri.....Sorry you are upset. FWIW, I think its the very fact that there ISN'T another WS thread like this one that makes it feel different- and maybe uncomfortable- for anyone who isn't a regular.

I think most WS long-timers get to "know" each other by being involved in the same trials/cases. I've noticed that when a long , involved trial/case is winding down a bunch of peeps post about what trial to follow next, in part because they want to keep part of their posting group intact. The trial/case ends and poof, the group disperses.

So, it is different to have a sidebar hangout place still open, months after the trial ended. I've never felt unwelcome here, but the few times I skimmed through the thread post-trial I saw mostly long running conversations between regular posters. Posting into that can feel kinda like walking up to a group of people you don't know very well but who are obviously well known to one another, and that you are interrupting their conversation.

I know nobody posting here is trying to be exclusive or whatever, and it's great that y'all still have a place to hang out together. What's the worry?

Thank you to Y/N for posting on the new trial books thread. :)
That relevant and good trial related info be shared where folks can find it was my only concern, and voila! Tis done.

What are you gunna do, Zuri? I don't think the love is gone at all.

[video=youtube;DYRhHObvzNw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYRhHObvzNw[/video]

Good-Morning-LM-Autumn-Window-1.jpg

Link: https://public-bn1306.files.1drv.co...LM-Autumn-Window-1.jpg?psid=1&rdrts=122655178
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Program Offers Sex Offenders Second Chances -- And It's Working

Of the state program’s 800-plus “graduates,” only 20 have returned to prison after committing a new sex crime.

"One day back in 2003, DeMont Conner sat in a room at the Kulani Correctional Facility, listening to a recording of a frantic 911 call.

A woman was on the line, clearly in distress: Her house was being broken into. Terrified, she was hiding in a closet and begging for help — but to no avail. A man soon broke in, raped the woman and killed her.

Conner, who had been locked up for seven life sentences — including one for a rape conviction — says listening to the recording was "torture." "It hit me really hard. It broke me down. I cried profusely," he said.

The exercise was designed to be a step on Conner’s road to redemption.

Conner was participating in the state’s sex offender treatment program, and learning to empathize with others — particularly his victims — was a prerequisite for success..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...p_ref=whats-working&ncid=newsltushpmg00000003
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Parole denied again for convict in 1976 school bus hijacking

"SACRAMENTO, Calif. — The last of three men convicted of hijacking a school bus full of California children nearly four decades ago was denied parole for the 16th time.
A panel decided that Frederick Woods will stay in prison even though the two men convicted with him, brothers Richard and James Schoenfeld, already have been released.
Woods, 64, can apply for parole again in three years..."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...nvict-in-1976-school-bus-hijacking/ar-BBnexd3
------------------------------------------------

Man freed after 3 decades in prison calls moment 'surreal'

"DEER LODGE, Mont. — A Montana man who spent three decades behind bars for a murder he says he did not commit walked out of prison Friday after the governor granted his clemency request....

Beach was serving a 100-year sentence with no possibility of parole for the 1979 beating death of Kimberly Nees, 17, on the Fort Peck Indian Reservation in northeast Montana...

But Beach said his 1983 confession in Louisiana was coerced. His long campaign for freedom drew support from hundreds, including Democratic U.S. Sen. Jon Tester, former Gov. Brian Schweitzer and former Republican U.S. Sen. Conrad Burns..."

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/11/20/us/ap-us-montana-murder-clemency.html?_r=0
-----------------------------------------------------------

Supreme Court confronts Florida death sentence challenge

"WASHINGTON Florida death-row inmate Timothy Lee Hurst could be closer to successfully challenging his sentence following arguments Tuesday before a divided Supreme Court.

Amid an accelerating debate over crime and punishment, justices confronted how Florida imposes the death penalty and how states like Missouri and Pennsylvania keep certain juvenile offenders locked up for life..."

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/crime/article38978760.html
--------------------------------------------------------

The 6 Kinds of Black Friday Shoppers: Which One Are You?

"...What drives these shoppers? Below is our rundown of who’s headed to the mall, and who’s staying home, this Black Friday..."

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/2015/11/20/6-Kinds-Black-Friday-Shoppers-Which-One-Are-You

I am a former "Traditionalist" and loved shopping on Black Friday with my friends. It was a treat and a lot of fun. Then there was lunch afterward- loaded down with packages and trying to figure out where to put them as we ate in the restaurant. :facepalm:

And then leftovers from Thanksgiving when we arrived home. Great day, all-in-all, and I enjoyed the tradition back then and miss it when I think about it right now.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An Illustrated Love Letter to Canine Companions

"“A lot of us humans,” Ursula K. Le Guin wrote in her magnificent meditation on aging and what beauty really means, “are like dogs: we really don’t know what size we are, how we’re shaped, what we look like.” But humanity’s abiding love of dogs has to do with something deeper than this psychological kinship — in loving us, dogs clarify our own size and shape by mirroring back to us who we really are.

The magnetism of that mutuality is what artist, visual memoirist, and champion of attentiveness Maira Kalman explores in Beloved Dog (public library) — a tender, quirky, scrumptiously sincere love letter our canine companions, part memoir of and part manifesto for the adoration of Dog..."

http://www.dailygood.org/story/1162/an-illustrated-love-letter-to-canine-companions-maria-popova/

mairakalman_beloveddog7.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Cholesterol Vaccine Shows Promise, But Don't Eat Extra Bacon Just Yet
You love bacon, but bacon doesn't love you back.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/giphymedia/media/b9oyqJ6dLVXaw/giphy.gif

"...According to a recently published study in the journal Vaccine, the drug has proven effective in mice and macaques, both of which showed "significant reductions" in total cholesterol, free cholesterol, phospholipids and triglycerides after vaccination..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...=Healthy+Living%3Fncid%3Dnewsltushpmg00000003
--------------------------------------------------------------

9 Sneaky Causes Of Depression
From the weather to your lifestyle habits.

"For some people, sub-zero temperatures aren't the only difficult side effect of winter. Approximately 10 million Americans also experience seasonal affective disorder, a depression-related mental health condition that waxes and wanes depending on the time of year...

Unfortunately, the changing season isn't the only surprising cause of depression. There are some triggers -- including lifestyle habits -- that can prompt the condition..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...tion=healthy-living&ncid=newsltushpmg00000003
------------------------------------------------------------

How Much You'll Pay for Medicare in 2016

"...All things considered, the news regarding your Medicare costs next year is pretty good. For about 70 percent of the nation's 52 million Medicare beneficiaries, there will be no Part B premium increase in 2016. And thanks to the 2015 Bipartisan Budget Act that was signed into law by President Obama on Nov. 2, the other 30 percent will pay much less than previously projected. Here's what you can expect..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-t...r-me_b_8547344.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592
-----------------------------------------------------------

Today I Rise: This Beautiful Short Film Is Like a Love Poem For Your Heart and Soul

"The world is missing what I am ready to give: My Wisdom, My Sweetness, My Love and My hunger for Peace."

"Where are you? Where are you, little girl with broken wings but full of hope? Where are you, wise women covered in wounds? Where are you?"

http://www.filmsforaction.org/watch/today-i-rise/

Dogdance Freestyle - Sandra & Lizzy

[video=youtube;uqlGn-K42U8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqlGn-K42U8[/video]

And just for a little laugh:

water bed

[video=youtube;9wm-Ge8LL7o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wm-Ge8LL7o[/video]

I just found out this AM that there is a book thread already open and I am posting my notes there instead of the Sentencing and beyond- Jodi Arias General Discussion thread

(I will still post them on the SB too) :)

WS thread: Books released by Prosecutor & DA Nov 2015

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...leased-by-Prosecutor-amp-DA-Nov-2015-1/page90

===================================================================

Trapped with Ms. Arias:

SECTION 2

My New Case

normally each defense team has 2-3 cases- plenty of work

August, 2009- only had 1- team would get next case -the State of AZ vs the murderer was next

will discuss being assigned and "initial assessment of the entire case from a legal perspective" , various pieces of evidence, crime scene, evidence as it relates to the murderer, booking photo, assessment of Travis, relationship of Travis and the murderer, and last chapter- assessment of JM

will discuss "all of these things from a legal perspective"

looking at things in a "clinical manner" and is "not a sign of disrespect to Mr. Alexander or his family"

"Please do not think that as I relay these thoughts to you that I am not conscious of the fact that this case and my client's actions caused a great deal of pain to many." (pg 34)
===========================================

Chapter 5

The Day My Life Changed Forever

August 28- Judge Steinle issued order to appoint L to case

was told by supervisor that case was about: client who was female, no criminal record, had been on a CBS program called "48 Hours", accused of killing boyfriend, case in system for a while, getting case because former atty had "some sort of ethical conflict that necessitated their need to withdraw from the case."

L told boss that "whatever happens, she won't get the death penalty"
===================================

Chapter 6

Preparing to Meet Ms. Arias

watched CBS show- "48 Hour" (known as the "ninja story") with mitigation spec. before he met the murderer - noticed that no one spoke "in support" of the murderer- that interview took place in Maricopa's Etrella jail (figured that former atty advised murderer not to do interview which she did anyway)

"Thus, before I before I even met Ms. Arias I strongly suspected that I had a client who would not follow the advice I gave her unless she happened to agree to it. I had every reason to believe that Ms. Arias was going to do as she pleased and in this regard, she will be a difficult client."

knew she wasn't being truthful in video- "clearly unbelievable story" and told to public on TV

speculated that her "image" might be important to her or that the murderer believed that she could convince everyone that the ninja story was true
from the video, thought she was "fairly smart and articulate person...had the ability to navigate polite society"
=======================================================

Chapter 7

Meeting Ms Arias For the First Time

doesn't remember exact date- murderer was just another client at that time

Ist goal when meeting new client: get to know them and get their trust, just sit back and listen to client, try to get info on family, contact info, and find out what's important to client

L avoids confrontations so client is not suspicious of his motives

on first day, L learned that the murderer "can sure ramble on all sorts of things, so I just listened to her for about an hour or so...learned a great deal about her that had nothing to do with the crime...her mannerism and deposition were such that it was as if we were talking in a coffee shop." (pg 44)

murderer seemed not to care about case- not talking to him like he was her lawyer- flirtatious- eventually switching to being polite and friendly after L didn't react to her flirting/manipulations

felt she was testing him on how she was going to get him to follow her wishes

felt she was immature in CBS video which made him suspect that she was victim of sexual abuse (will expand later on in book on this feeling)

felt he was dealing with "very disturbed woman"
--------------------------

Next:

Chapter 8
My Initial Review of the Evidence Related to the Crime

Chapter 9
My Initial Review of the Evidence related to Ms. Arias

Chapter 10
My Initial Thoughts on the Booking Photo
-----------------------------

Are those Twix candy? Yummy chocolate :floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

(It's OK that you don't read my posts on Lawrence's book and want to read/ make your own assessments for yourself. I don't expect that some/any of my posts would interest others. Pick what you want and read just those or none- entirely up to everyone).

Zuri.....Sorry you are upset. FWIW, I think its the very fact that there ISN'T another WS thread like this one that makes it feel different- and maybe uncomfortable- for anyone who isn't a regular.

I think most WS long-timers get to "know" each other by being involved in the same trials/cases. I've noticed that when a long , involved trial/case is winding down a bunch of peeps post about what trial to follow next, in part because they want to keep part of their posting group intact. The trial/case ends and poof, the group disperses.

So, it is different to have a sidebar hangout place still open, months after the trial ended. I've never felt unwelcome here, but the few times I skimmed through the thread post-trial I saw mostly long running conversations between regular posters. Posting into that can feel kinda like walking up to a group of people you don't know very well but who are obviously well known to one another, and that you are interrupting their conversation.

I know nobody posting here is trying to be exclusive or whatever, and it's great that y'all still have a place to hang out together. What's the worry?

Thank you to Y/N for posting on the new trial books thread. :)
That relevant and good trial related info be shared where folks can find it was my only concern, and voila! Tis done.

Where's my chocolate????? :D

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

:blowkiss:

neesaki , "Long Ago and Far away". don't remember who sang it :lol:

That's not the song gramma, but here is your song (sung by Jo Stafford)

[video=youtube;IiSrKbj_pHQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiSrKbj_pHQ[/video]

Luv ya gramma Nore :blowkiss:

(snipped)

Man freed after 3 decades in prison calls moment 'surreal'

"DEER LODGE, Mont. — A Montana man who spent three decades behind bars for a murder he says he did not commit walked out of prison Friday after the governor granted his clemency request....

Beach was serving a 100-year sentence with no possibility of parole for the 1979 beating death of Kimberly Nees, 17, on the Fort Peck Indian Reservation in northeast Montana...

But Beach said his 1983 confession in Louisiana was coerced. His long campaign for freedom drew support from hundreds, including Democratic U.S. Sen. Jon Tester, former Gov. Brian Schweitzer and former Republican U.S. Sen. Conrad Burns..."

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/11/20/us/ap-us-montana-murder-clemency.html?_r=0

I was driving home when I heard about Barry Beach being freed and I had such an emotional reaction I almost had to pull over!

I've been following his story for ages. It was so heartbreaking when he was released for 18 months only to be returned to prison after the judge's ruling was overturned by the state SC. Can you imagine what it must have felt like to be free for 18 months only to have to go back? I don't know how he did it.

He seems like a truly nice guy and I am 100% certain of his innocence. I hope the future holds all good things for him.

The 6 Kinds of Black Friday Shoppers: Which One Are You?

"...What drives these shoppers? Below is our rundown of who’s headed to the mall, and who’s staying home, this Black Friday..."

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/2015/11/20/6-Kinds-Black-Friday-Shoppers-Which-One-Are-You

I am a former "Traditionalist" and loved shopping on Black Friday with my friends. It was a treat and a lot of fun. Then there was lunch afterward- loaded down with packages and trying to figure out where to put them as we ate in the restaurant. :facepalm:

And then leftovers from Thanksgiving when we arrived home. Great day, all-in-all, and I enjoyed the tradition back then and miss it when I think about it right now.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An Illustrated Love Letter to Canine Companions

"“A lot of us humans,” Ursula K. Le Guin wrote in her magnificent meditation on aging and what beauty really means, “are like dogs: we really don’t know what size we are, how we’re shaped, what we look like.” But humanity’s abiding love of dogs has to do with something deeper than this psychological kinship — in loving us, dogs clarify our own size and shape by mirroring back to us who we really are.

The magnetism of that mutuality is what artist, visual memoirist, and champion of attentiveness Maira Kalman explores in Beloved Dog (public library) — a tender, quirky, scrumptiously sincere love letter our canine companions, part memoir of and part manifesto for the adoration of Dog..."

http://www.dailygood.org/story/1162/an-illustrated-love-letter-to-canine-companions-maria-popova/

mairakalman_beloveddog7.jpg

Don't you just love Maira Kalman's illustrations? She's a very interesting person, too. Here she is speaking at TED Talks:
https://www.ted.com/talks/maira_kalman_the_illustrated_woman?language=en

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member