SIDEBAR #59 - Travis Alexander forum

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OKay - went to the article "What not to wear over 50" and here I thought it would be actually clothes not to wear. Well - it did mention shoes - I wear "Easy Spirit" - been buying those probably for the last 30 years! :happydance: and for hats - I don't look good in them, but one of my twin sisters does! She looks GREAT in hats!
baseball-cap-smiley.gif

Here's a picture of her by the Golden Gate Bridge - hopefully you can "see" !

Okay - the img didn't work... first I tried double clicking on the photo and it takes my to "InfrView", so I copied, but "not" paste came up... than I tried just "copy" from the photo, nope, that didn't work either... :gaah: So using the "Manage Attachment". I'll see if I can find a better picture too - later... :D

Someone HELP ME!!! :(

Attachments

• Clipboard26.jpg
    Clipboard26.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 45
OKay - went to the article "What not to wear over 50" and here I thought it would be actually clothes not to wear. Well - it did mention shoes - I wear "Easy Spirit" - been buying those probably for the last 30 years! :happydance: and for hats - I don't look good in them, but one of my twin sisters does! She looks GREAT in hats!
baseball-cap-smiley.gif

Here's a picture of her by the Golden Gate Bridge - hopefully you can "see" !

Okay - the img didn't work... first I tried double clicking on the photo and it takes my to "InfrView", so I copied, but "not" paste came up... than I tried just "copy" from the photo, nope, that didn't work either... :gaah: So using the "Manage Attachment". I'll see if I can find a better picture too - later... :D

Someone HELP ME!!! :(

I can see the bridge. It worked. :)

I struggle with how to do things with pics so I am not much help.

just read this over at the discussion thread - hope you don't mind my bringing this over. You know you have friends here! :)

Hope4More said:
Will finish up posting that blasted timeline when I can...my DH had a car accident, totalled his car, shaken up and sore but hopefully nothing worse than that. :(

Oh Hope4More - I HOPE he is doing okay?? No broken bones is a good thing!

JINGLES!!!! to him!!!!

I cannot stand our electric stove. We are constantly boiling over things on it. We cannot keep the temperature consistent to cook things right.

We literally have to stay right near it all the time to be sure to watch things cooking.

The things that are most dangerous is when boiling things like shrimp that produce a sort of foam as it boils. Look away for just a second and there she goes LOL

You just cannot keep a consistent temperature because the burner is always going on and off.

The oven part of the electric oven is usually ok because it stays fairly consistent. Its just the stovetop which is really bad with electric.

I love gas stoves but haven't had one in a long time. The only danger with a gas stove is make sure the gas lines are always checked for leaks. You can check them by mixing in a bowl some water and lots of dishsoap liquid. Then drip some on the pipe near the pipe connections to see if you see bubbles forming. Or any other spot you think could be leaking.

Gas stoves scare me but they are the best for cooking. No doubt about it.

BBM

Actually, I've read that electric ovens are better for baking, largely because, as you state, the temps are more consistent, but also because the heat is drier. Since I don't do nearly as much baking as I do stove-top cooking, I happily tolerate the compromise. :)

What Women Over 50 Shouldn't Wear: Part II

"I wrote a post a year ago about what women over 50 shouldn't wear.

The post was popular and seemed to touch a nerve with a lot of people.

Some of which were very upset over being told, once again, what they should and shouldn't wear if they are of "a certain age". To those people I say: Hahahaha you crazy kids. You should really read more than the headline before posting a comment.

In revisiting this theme, it became glaringly obvious that I left some things off the "what not to wear" list..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michelle-combs/what-women-over-50-shouldnt-wear_b_9068596.html?
---

The previous article: (has some of Zuri's words) :facepalm:

What Not to Wear After Age 50: The Final Say (some foul language)

"Google 'what not to wear after age 50' and you will have your pick of thousands of articles telling you what looks terrible on your old azz body.

I want to point out to the writer who wrote the 'no-no' article, you need to remember you are writing for over 50 women, not preschoolers. I don't think I've said 'no-no' since my youngest was a toddler.

We could spend hours studying the clothes we shouldn't wear and the slang we shouldn't use and the makeup techniques we need to retire.
Here's me, weighing in on this topic..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michelle-combs/what-not-to-wear-after-ag_b_6656902.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great articles! They made me laugh! Especially the "RBF"!

just read this over at the discussion thread - hope you don't mind my bringing this over. You know you have friends here! :)

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Hope4More

Will finish up posting that blasted timeline when I can...my DH had a car accident, totalled his car, shaken up and sore but hopefully nothing worse than that. :(

Oh Hope4More - I HOPE he is doing okay?? No broken bones is a good thing!

JINGLES!!!! to him!!!!

Hope4More! :hug:
Sending Jingles and big hopes that DH is truly all right. So sorry about the car.

Thanks to Niner for sharing this.

Today is:

National Puzzle Day

and National Cornchip Day

♪♫♪♫♪It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring, and conked his head, and couldn't get up in the morning! ♪♫♪♫♪

:skip: .. :happydance:

Anyone remember any other lyrics for jump roping - back in the day... ??

:D

Oh - if anyone can HELP ME again! :) My Huz wants to get some sleeping pills, as he really can't sleep at night, and takes TONS of naps during the day. He would rather sleep at night and not be up for 2 to 3 hours a night... I've heard Ambien isn't good at all - hallucinations and all - don't want him driving my car sleepwalking i.e. Kennedy...

Any suggestions? Prescribed by a doctor (I'm sure his cancer doctor would do this) or any over-the-counter meds??

:tyou: in advance!! :wave:

Attachments

• puzzles.png
    puzzles.png
    78.2 KB · Views: 2
  • cornchips.jpg
    cornchips.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 3
Has anyone done the Ancestry.com DNA test? My brother did and shared what countries our DNA came from and I found it fascinating. I had no idea I was 38% Irish as I have identified more from coming from Western Europe, which was 34%. The remainder was Scandanavia and Iberian Peninsula.

I bought two tests for my DH and DS to take. I was curious about what our combined Ancestry DNA would look like in our children. My DH's were the most surprising. His mom was 100% German and his dad had a lot of Welsh in his background, so I figured his would be mainly those and fairly simple. To my surprise, his ancestry makeup was a whole lot more complex.

His ancestry not only showed Great Britain and Western European, but Iberian Peninsula, Finland/Russia, the Caucausus and Italy/Greece. This was an interesting and fun to learn. My son did not show all that my husband's did as the percentages were low, but still, how cool to see how our ancestors were busy moving around.

-------------------------

BBM:

I would soooo take pride in having a connection to the Iberian Peninsula if I were you guys! It's way up there on my wish list of places to visit: good food, good climate, beautiful scenery -- and from what I hear -- friendly people. Let's go!!!!

I also love that your husband has Greek/Italian blood. Can he cook? Or are those recessive genes? :thinking:

---------------------------

I have a feeling I'd be surprised by my results. Even though my father is 100% Dutch and my mother is some combo of British/Scottish, I have a feeling the Dutch side is less than "pure."

It's pretty well-known that the Dutch were among the first world-wide traders, traveling the globe to buy goods to bring back to Europe to sell, but I think it's doubtful they were perfect angels during those expeditions. In particular, they were able to set up trade agreements with much of the Orient long before other Europeans.

My father was not as tall as most Dutch tend to be, and he also had jet black hair and kind of squinty/slanted eyes (even though they were green). I also work with a guy from the Philippines who claims to have Dutch ancestry, which I guess kind of proves my point.

There's also that whole shameful and embarrassing slave trade era... :(

It's certainly possible that I could be the mutt of all mutts...

This is actually a great question.

For me, it is very similar to my wife's extensive purse collection. LOL

We both have way more than we use and most just sit taking up space.
We both don't want to ever get rid of them.

She has purses taking up 1/2 a closet and some are brand new designer purses. I asked her why she doesn't use some of the good ones and she tells me they are too nice to use. LOL

Very similar to some of my nicer guns. I never shoot them because I don't want to put any wear and tear on them. LOL

I guess collecting guns is very similar to collecting any other type of thing like stamps or coins.

I am fascinated by the inner mechanical workings of guns and especially the older ones have some real neat features. I really don't have too many but I do have more than I need so its an official collection. LOL

I keep all of them in a huge gun safe that is bolted to the floor so they are very safe and nobody can get to them. Not even a thief unless they came with a blowtorch I guess. LOL

I only really use 2 of them. Well 3 I suppose.

I have 1 handgun for protection that is available near where I sleep and I have 1 other smaller handgun that I sometimes carry with my conceal carry permit when heading to a bad area of town.

The 3rd gun I really use is my hunting rifle for deer hunting to try to get some tasty fresh Venison for the freezer. The deer are usually safe as I haven't got one in the last few years. They always win. :)

We have no kids and my wife is trained good to not ever touch them so our house is very gun safe...especially with the safe having all but 1 of them.
I just have to remember if we ever have visitors to put my 1 handgun in the safe before they come. We haven't had a child visitor ever so the odds of that happening are pretty slim. :)

This is very interesting, both about the purses and the guns lol. It makes sense that you would find the different inner mechanics of a gun fascinating, as you have a great mind. I have never looked at a handgun up close, but my grandfather had a Winchester rifle that I recall from the 60's. He had a peach orchard and would shoot at squirrels IIRC. There is a Civil War rifle that hangs above the fireplace at my DH's river house that has been there forever. My dad had his rifle from the Marine Corps where he got a uniform pin that said "Excellent Marksman"? Or something like that. He told stories of shooting at tin cans on his uncle's farm.

Do you have to take the guns out of the safe and clean them regularly if you don't use them? I am truly ignorant to all of this. You obviously are a responsible gun owner to say the least. Do you own any of the old ones that have the sterling or silver engraving on them? I guess like antique? If they don't make them like that any more? Is there such a thing as universal ammo or does each type of gun take its own specific type?

I am laughing at your safe deer population. My German Shepherds have both caught deer and I was horrified! My Mercedes caught a deer once, right at the driver door as I was on my way to work. I was not happy with the huge dent and having to crawl over the seat to get in or out. I left the deer hair there for the insurance people to get a load of.

Thank you for answering my questions. I like that your wife collects handbags! Does she have a Birkin bag? I have never seen one of those either in real life either!

Hope4More! :hug:
Sending Jingles and big hopes that DH is truly all right. So sorry about the car.

Thanks to Niner for sharing this.

Same here Hope! I am so sorry that happened to him , but glad he is ok. The black ice at night is horrible, the sun glare with the snow is blinding, and a lot of traffic doesn't make for good driving conditions. Please let us know how he is doing.

Today is:

National Puzzle Day

and National Cornchip Day

♪♫♪♫♪It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring, and conked his head, and couldn't get up in the morning! ♪♫♪♫♪

:skip: .. :happydance:

Anyone remember any other lyrics for jump roping - back in the day... ??

:D

Oh - if anyone can HELP ME again! :) My Huz wants to get some sleeping pills, as he really can't sleep at night, and takes TONS of naps during the day. He would rather sleep at night and not be up for 2 to 3 hours a night... I've heard Ambien isn't good at all - hallucinations and all - don't want him driving my car sleepwalking i.e. Kennedy...

Any suggestions? Prescribed by a doctor (I'm sure his cancer doctor would do this) or any over-the-counter meds??

:tyou: in advance!! :wave:

Niner, Melatonin is available in the vitamin aisle. Stronger meds would come from his doctor. Ambien can get a bad rap as Lunesta did, but I have taken both at different intervals without bad side effects. I take Ambien now and have woken up with licorice or peanut butter crackers in my mouth as apparently you can sleep eat on it. Since he needs to gain some weight back, there may be advantages lol.

-------------------------

BBM:

I would soooo take pride in having a connection to the Iberian Peninsula if I were you guys! It's way up there on my wish list of places to visit: good food, good climate, beautiful scenery -- and from what I hear -- friendly people. Let's go!!!!

I also love that your husband has Greek/Italian blood. Can he cook? Or are those recessive genes? :thinking:

---------------------------

I have a feeling I'd be surprised by my results. Even though my father is 100% Dutch and my mother is some combo of British/Scottish, I have a feeling the Dutch side is less than "pure."

It's pretty well-known that the Dutch were among the first world-wide traders, traveling the globe to buy goods to bring back to Europe to sell, but I think it's doubtful they were perfect angels during those expeditions. In particular, they were able to set up trade agreements with much of the Orient long before other Europeans.

My father was not as tall as most Dutch tend to be, and he also had jet black hair and kind of squinty/slanted eyes (even though they were green). I also work with a guy from the Philippines who claims to have Dutch ancestry, which I guess kind of proves my point.

There's also that whole shameful and embarrassing slave trade era... :(

It's certainly possible that I could be the mutt of all mutts...

On the Ancestry.com results map, the Iberian Peninsula included Spain and Portugal and the tips of Tunisia and Morrocco. I would love to go there too. I think it is fascinating how your heritage affects physical traits as it makes us all so different.

My son is of slender build and is 5'8", very typical of the French traits coming through and looks like me more than my DH. My DD#1 is 5'4", slender and naturally blonde still, looks more like me, but built like my DH except in a girl. DD#2 is 5'8", looks like a combo of my brother and my DH, slender with long legs like my grandfather.

My DH was shocked to learn that he had Caucaus heritage. He looks like his mother, bigger built like his dad. My MIL's family came from the Black Forest area of Germany and has darker coloring. Right after 9/11, he was pulled from the security line at the airport to have his luggage searched etc. He had not shaved in 24 hours as he was on vacation, and I guess looked like a terrorist. It got to be ridiculous and I had my "RBF" on, as my children were young and rather scared.

He said of course he had Italian/Greek in him, because he was built like Adonis. I spewed coffee everywhere with that one.

I bet you and your children are gorgeous with your heritage alone! I think we are all mutts of sorts and That is very cool. Don't they say that mutts have the best temperaments? Lol

http://dna.ancestry.com

There are other, more precise kits available from other companies/labs that are somewhat more expensive. I would love to know if anyone has used those.

Same here Hope! I am so sorry that happened to him , but glad he is ok. The black ice at night is horrible, the sun glare with the snow is blinding, and a lot of traffic doesn't make for good driving conditions. Please let us know how he is doing.

Thanks, sweeties over here on SB. :). I didn't realize anyone posted here about my just-fine DH and his obliterated car.

Black ice is deadly, but not the culprit this time. Rather, what is doing in cars here, and has been for days, are the gigantic piles of plowed snow right smack in the roads, and in medians. Driving has been like making one's way through a maze, with maze walls too high to see around or over.

Thanks again. And, Zuri..... You've been in my thoughts. I'm so glad you and Susza will be meeting up in the beautiful (and warm) Keys to play! :)

On the Ancestry.com results map, the Iberian Peninsula included Spain and Portugal and the tips of Tunisia and Morrocco. I would love to go there too. I think it is fascinating how your heritage affects physical traits as it makes us all so different.

My son is of slender build and is 5'8", very typical of the French traits coming through and looks like me more than my DH. My DD#1 is 5'4", slender and naturally blonde still, looks more like me, but built like my DH except in a girl. DD#2 is 5'8", looks like a combo of my brother and my DH, slender with long legs like my grandfather.

My DH was shocked to learn that he had Caucaus heritage. He looks like his mother, bigger built like his dad. My MIL's family came from the Black Forest area of Germany and has darker coloring. Right after 9/11, he was pulled from the security line at the airport to have his luggage searched etc. He had not shaved in 24 hours as he was on vacation, and I guess looked like a terrorist. It got to be ridiculous and I had my "RBF" on, as my children were young and rather scared.

He said of course he had Italian/Greek in him, because he was built like Adonis. I spewed coffee everywhere with that one.

I bet you and your children are gorgeous with your heritage alone! I think we are all mutts of sorts and That is very cool. Don't they say that mutts have the best temperaments? Lol

BBM

That made me laugh soooo hard! I would love to meet your DH. He seems to have a great sense of humor, and I bet you the two of you together are a lot of fun!

BBM

Isn't it odd that the word "caucasian" has come to mean "white people?" I mean, the last part of the word is "asian." Just saying...

(Maybe it's like Occidental vs Oriental?)

here's an article on the subject:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/50202/why-are-white-people-called-caucasian

BBM

That made me laugh soooo hard! I would love to meet your DH. He seems to have a great sense of humor, and I bet you the two of you together are a lot of fun!

I was thinking the same thing! They must be a FUN pair to be with! :loveyou:

Huz is sleeping right now, so I'll tell him about what you said Zuri! YES! He needs to gain a lot of weight back - he's down to 175 now - normal would be 195!!

Next Skype with brother and sisters, I'll ask if they'll split the cost for a DNA test - as I would gather, right - it would be the same??

Checking in and out here today! And watching Andy Murray (Great Britain) vs. Milos Raonic (Canada) playing in the Semi-final at the Australian Open! Looks Murray is going to win...

Okay - doing an experiment and "see" if I can follow Dmacky's instructions on inserting a picture...

Cats-FrenchUmbrella.jpg

This is my Father's cat - "Frenchy"

and let's see if I can continue...

mammaearlypix.jpg

My Mother looked good in hats!

Hope this works...

Edited to add: It WORKED!!! :happydance:

Okay - doing an experiment and "see" if I can follow Dmacky's instructions on inserting a picture...

View attachment 88232

This is my Father's cat - "Frenchy"

and let's see if I can continue...

View attachment 88235

My Mother looked good in hats!

Hope this works...

Edited to add: It WORKED!!! :happydance:

Your mother looked like a movie star!

(Frenchy is very attractive, too. :)

Okay - I was going to type this recipe to MS word:

Chili with Tomatoes.jpg

BUT! when I got to the bottom it says "cover and simmer until beans" Until beans are WHAT!! LOL! :lol: Whomever posted this - I think :thinking: it was coffeejunkie, but don't take my word for it - could you tell me what the rest of the recipe says??!!

:tyou: in advance!

Signing off for the night! :seeya:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members