SIDEBAR #6- Arias/Alexander forum

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for gathering all of the foreman interviews.

He seems very empathic. That's a great trait, but JMO, it did him in a bit here. It almost felt as if he were looking at arias like a character in a novel; a medium where everyone's motivations are often clear and singular.

I share the understandably unpopular opinion that Travis used arias and could be unkind, which doubtlessly played a role in her planning his death, but I absolutely disagree she seemed "normal" (whatever that means) before meeting him. The type of narcissism she displays in interviews and on the stand isn't birthed over night, and it's certainly not the product of "mental abuse" (not during the adult years, anyway).

That the foreman described Martinez as "merciless" is very telling. He said arias was emotionally abused AND has mental problems. He likely saw her as being victimized on the stand. THAT I take issue with. Maybe it's because I have the benefit of Youtube to follow the trial and highlights, but wow did she ever hold her own. Sure, he got her on soem points that really matter, but just in the back and forth, she was great.

As far as Martinez speaking to them like they're stupid, no more than the defence. It's an unsavoury part of the trial. Both sides at times fought for points that I thought were reaching (arias more than the state), but alas, c'est la vie.

Did the foreperson really say this?!? TIA.

I dont become annoyed anymore at people who are fooled by jodi. No matter what they think or say, jodi will suffer for what she did. Thats whats important. If she gets the death penalty, she will live a isolated, lonely,
miserable life in a cell until she dies. If she gets life, she goes to max security. She will live a isolated, lonely, miserable life in a cell until she dies. It will be nothing like she described to the jury in court. Someone lied to her. Shes in for a big surprise.

Assuming she behaves, she will only be in max security for 2/3 years, per a prison spokesman. Then it's medium security...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee21
I dont become annoyed anymore at people who are fooled by jodi. No matter what they think or say, jodi will suffer for what she did. Thats whats important. If she gets the death penalty, she will live a isolated, lonely, miserable life in a cell until she dies. If she gets life, she goes to max security. She will live a isolated, lonely, miserable life in a cell until she dies. It will be nothing like she described to the jury in court. Someone lied to her. Shes in for a big surprise.

I wonder if the Alexander family is aware of the above. She wont be doing any of the things she said in court. She wont be turning the prison into her playpen.

I hope so. I think they do. But it's not over for them. That's the rub.

:seeya: I agree ...

Here's what I don't get : IF they had a question, all they had to do was go back in and ask ...

Juan made it very clear in his closing in the penalty phase what "life" meant -- I'm trying to remember here -- I'm going to have to go back and listen or find it on here ...

Obviously, jury foreman paid no attention to Mr. Martinez because he felt like Mr. Martinez was talking down to him ...

Sounds to me like this foreman has some "issues" ...

Pfffttt ... how dare this foreman bash Mr. Martinez !

:moo:

And this is exactly why I think they need to revamp the jury system and put a 13th juror on board. One who is legally qualified to sit in and NOT deliberate but answer legal questions and explain rules, procedures and forms. A person that could be maybe a retired lawyer who is neither for the defense or prosecution. Also, someone who can remind the jury to stay on track instead of veering off on things that don't matter and explain some of the evidence. Makes sense to me.

Did the foreperson really say this?!? TIA.

Yes in this interview:

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_phoenix_metro/central_phoenix/jodi-arias-juror-interview-foreman-speaks-out-about-trial-trouble-in-sentencing-phase
"He's merciless," Zervakos said of the lead prosceutor on he case. "I don't like being talked to like I'm stupid and I feel like that happened a few times."

Shame that the foreman has bad read of JM. Perhaps some of JM's sarcasm was missed too :( I hope some of the other jurors speak out about recognising JM's passion for defending Travis.

OK trying to catch up.
Thread locked, everyone is now some type of gilligan pod person, and Mr. Foreperson has anyone who keeps up with this case going batpoop. Sounds about right.

After watching some interviews and reading some of the posts here I have come to the conclusion that the "jury of peers" qualification needs to be reworked.
This guy is 69 years old. Some people that age probably are more in the know, but it seems like this guy rolls on the old fashioned train. I think he was seeing more than JA, I think he was seeing his daughter, a grandaughter, niece, etc.

Does anyone think if they limited ages of juries to try and match defendants that things might be different?
Imagine a group of 25-35 years olds judging her. They would "get" the phone sex, the texts, the emails. The talk of the "rape" tied to the tree would not be as shocking, it was fantasy talk, that is all.
They would understand the concept of Travis' IM where he is pretending to "talk" to the Jodi who is peeping in (not take it as LITERAL because Jodi could not have really been seeing it and dismiss it being a joke because of the "LOL"). I understood it, he was joking about her stalking, but dangit he was also SERIOUS. Can someone 2-3 generations removed grasp it?
Please, no one be offended by this either. I know a lot of older people are right up to speed on this kind of stuff also. But I will go out on a limb and say many are not (thinking of my Dad, my Gramma. On the other hand my Mom WOULD get it). And also most sleuthers don't count because it is an entirely different breed. Not sucking up, but you all invest in knowing about people like Jodi, you get it.
I don't know. Just picturing 12 ladies and gents of around JAs age, possibly some having been through a stalker themselves and understanding how much social media has helped the modern stalker become 10 times the monster it used to be.

Do you all get what I am saying? Or am I just overtired and thinking too much on this?

OK trying to catch up.
Thread locked, everyone is now some type of gilligan pod person, and Mr. Foreperson has anyone who keeps up with this case going batpoop. Sounds about right.

After watching some interviews and reading some of the posts here I have come to the conclusion that the "jury of peers" qualification needs to be reworked.
This guy is 69 years old. Some people that age probably are more in the know, but it seems like this guy rolls on the old fashioned train. I think he was seeing more than JA, I think he was seeing his daughter, a grandaughter, neice, etc.

Does anyone think if they limited ages of juries to try and match defendants that things might be different?
Imagine a group of 25-35 years olds judging her. They would "get" the phone sex, the texts, the emails. The talk of the "rape" tied to the tree would not be as shocking, it was fantasy talk, that is all.
They would understand the concept of Travis' IM where he is pretending to "talk" to the Jodi who is peeping in (not take it as LITERAL because Jodi could not have really been seeing it and dismiss it being a joke because of the "LOL"). I understood it, he was joking about her stalking, but dangit he was also SERIOUS. Can someone 2-3 generations removed grasp it?
Please, no one be offended by this either. I know a lot of older people are right up to speed on this kind of stuff also. But I will go out on a limb and say many are not (thinking of my Dad, my Gramma. On the other hand my Mom WOULD get it). And also most sleuthers don't count because it is an entirely different breed. Not sucking up, but you all invest in knowing about people like Jodi, you get it.
I don't know. Just picturing 12 ladies and gents of around JAs age, possibly some having been through a stalker themselves and understanding how much social media has helped the modern stalker become 10 times the monster it used to be.

Do you all get what I am saying? Or am I just overtired and thinking too much on this?

BBM: I saw too many of the "ladies and gents around Jodi's age" during the "Occupy" protests last year to believe they would be ideal jurors for Jodi and her ilk. (They scare me.) Some of them probably think she should be Prom Queen.

But I do agree that there should be some way to see if an older juror is up for the task. Keep in mind that the jury pools are heavily loaded with senior citizens because the younger ones plead financial hardship since they are still in the workforce. :twocents:

I heard on the Barry Young show today that the county attorney is swearing to God that the decision whether to re-try the penalty phase won't be decided based on finances or public opinion. Which tells me they've already decided not to re-try.

It was not by accident Jodi Arias showed drawings of Frank Sinatra, Elisabeth Taylor and Elvis Presley.

It was not by accident Jodi Arias showed drawings of Frank Sinatra, Elisabeth Taylor and Elvis Presley.
I wish JM could have shown the tracings. Then again in hindsight it probably wouldn't have made that much difference.

Maybe... but I think they'd have to be quite a bit older than 65 to have those 3 celebs make much of an impression on them.

was the majority of the jury over 65? Or even 4 of them?

By the looks of them, no. But only 1 or 2 looked under 35 to me.
They rolled by fast and I have not reviewed the footage, so I can not be sure.
Is the thread with the jury breakdown still in place? Everything keeps getting locked down, I am still new at this too so it's got me :scared:

Maybe... but I think they'd have to be quite a bit older than 65 to have those 3 celebs make much of an impression on them.

I am 44 and I like Frank and Elizabeth. Elvis I am not huge on though.
Honestly tho, if I was a fan of all 3 and on the jury I would want to have her put down, those drawings are hideous!

If she did a decent Ewan McGregor, Norman Reedus, anyone from GoT, or maybe Jeremy Renner I might let her have LWOP :wink:

GN all, try to stay off the Time Out list tonight!

I am 44 and I like Frank and Elizabeth. Elvis I am not huge on though.
Honestly tho, if I was a fan of all 3 and on the jury I would want to have her put down, those drawings are hideous!

If she did a decent Ewan McGregor, Norman Reedus, anyone from GoT, or maybe Jeremy Renner I might let her have LWOP :wink:

Yay, a little levity. I needed that after contemplating the foreman's apparent inane babblings into these wee hours.

I heard on the Barry Young show today that the county attorney is swearing to God that the decision whether to re-try the penalty phase won't be decided based on finances or public opinion. Which tells me they've already decided not to re-try.

I would be interested to hear your thinking. I did read that the County Attorney's office said if the split was 11-1 for DP they would definitely re-try.

As much as I was hoping for the DP, I think I'd rather see them dispense with a new Penalty Phase and drop the DP. Then hope the judge orders LWOP. My reasons are:

1. Save Travis' family from the torture.

2. Prevent Jodi from spouting her garbage.

3. Save AZ taxpayers the $$$$$$$.

4. Prevent Nurmi & Co. from "delay, delay, delay".

5. The fact that we don't know that we would have a different outcome anyway.

6. And MOST IMPORTANTLY…I just can't take anymore of Wilma! :floorlaugh: :floorlaugh: :floorlaugh:

Has anyone had success skyping themselves with their iPhone to their iPad??

I'm tired and getting wacky:) I think I have a spider bite right at the base of my noggin it's in my hair and I can't see it. It's pretty swollen and hurts!! It really is quarter size. What should you take for a spider bite? When should I panic and go to the er? Sorry for o/t ;)
I'm not verified so this is not medical advice, but my "trained and up to date with the latest research" opinion would depend on how long it is since the spider bit you and if you know what type it was. If you haven't washed the site, go in to see if they can identify the type from its venom. But truthfully? I think it's better to be safe than sorry and have it seen. I wouldn't wait around.

From your post just by itself, localised pain and swelling doesn't necessitate a trip, but the drowsiness worries me and you do need to keep a close eye on your symptoms.

Most bites cause redness, itchiness, pain and swelling. These are very normal reactions. I would take phenergan, regardless of how long it has been. Write down any doses of medication you take.

You shouldn't panic at all ;) . Try to stay calm. Document any and all reactions. If you have ANY vomiting call an ambulance, especially if it has been less than an hour since the bite. Vomiting after a bite is a sign of anaphylaxis. If you start to feel nauseous head in. Ditto for stomach cramps or diarrhoea. Any problems breathing (wheezing, coughing, hoarseness) mean you should call an ambulance. If you have any swelling of your tongue, mouth, throat or face (unrelated to the bite site) call an ambulance immediately. If any of your symptoms get worse instead of getting better you should talk to your doctor as soon as possible. If you know the signs of a drop in blood pressure, take note of them. If you have a metallic taste in your mouth, head in. If you start to develop large hives all over your body you should see your doctor.

When it all comes down to it, it's better to be safe than sorry and I personally would have it seen sooner rather than later. This comes from an experience where I went against the medical opinion of a professional ("no, he will be okay") and rushed them to hospital and saved their life. Another 5 minutes and the anaphylactic reaction (which was only just starting when I said "no, I'm taking him in") would have been fatal.

Be aware that the above things are signs of a severe allergic reaction and they usually occur quickly. However, spider bites can also lead to toxic reactions which don't happen as fast. Headaches, drowsiness, seizures or muscle spasms mean you need to see a doctor.

Good luck and please keep us updated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member