SIDEBAR #7- Arias/Alexander forum

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
AZLawyer are you still here on this thread and would you be willing to answer a couple of questions
?

the thing that has never ceased to amaze me about her is that she is so totally clueless as to how she comes across and she is utterly relentless in her obstinance....no doubt she is a raging psychopath

We should count the mistrial as a blessing in disguise. Hopefully the next set of jurors will be the right ones.

I agree and the Prosecutor should take the points the jurors are making and use those to expound on why she should be sentenced to death. He has the answers before him. ANd this should also help in the Voire D. jmo

First day I've logged in since May 19th. Had cervical spine surgery on May 22nd and haven't been able to be here. I tried to follow everything while hospitalized but I may have missed this. I did learn that the jury was eight for death and four for life. Is there a breakout on how the men voted and the women? I did see that the foreman most likely voted for life. I predicted prior to the verdict that the older men had me concerned because I thought that they would have the harder time making a decision for a "poor, little, frail girl" (gag here) to die. Does anyone have a break out for the men vs. women vote? Thanks in advance. Got to lie down in a few minutes.................pain, pain.

First day I've logged in since May 19th. Had cervical spine surgery on May 22nd and haven't been able to be here. I tried to follow everything while hospitalized but I may have missed this. I did learn that the jury was eight for death and four for life. Is there a breakout on how the men voted and the women? I did see that the foreman most likely voted for life. I predicted prior to the verdict that the older men had me concerned because I thought that they would have the harder time making a decision for a "poor, little, frail girl" (gag here) to die. Does anyone have a break out for the men vs. women vote? Thanks in advance. Got to lie down in a few minutes.................pain, pain.

Hope you feel better LT

No-All the jurors voted not to tell who voted for what

But we do know that 2 women & 1 man voted death

Alt- would have voted death

FP-we think Life

What a thing to say and to laugh about. A woman died a prolonged and excruciating death while locked up in a cage.

Agreed. I find absolutely nothing funny about Marcia Powell's death at Perrysville.

Snippets from NY Daily Times:

"Sixteen corrections employees have been fired, suspended or otherwise disciplined for their roles in the death of an inmate left in an outdoor holding cell for four hours in searing heat and for a "wait-them-out" practice at the prison where she died."

"Arizona Department of Corrections Director Charles Ryan announced the moves Tuesday, calling the death the "most significant example of abuse" of an inmate that he's aware of within the department."

"Marcia Powell, who was serving a 27-month sentence for prostitution, died from heat-related complications hours after she collapsed May 19 in an uncovered outdoor cell at the Perryville prison in the west Phoenix suburb of Goodyear. She had been in the cell for nearly four hours, despite a policy that set a two-hour limit."

"Powell, 48, was being held in the outdoor cell while being transferred from one section of the prison to an observation ward after seeing a psychologist. An autopsy report showed she had first- and second-degree burns on her face and body and a core body temperature of 108 degrees Fahrenheit (42 Celsius)."

"That is an absolute failure," Ryan said Tuesday. "The inmate should not have been left in the enclosure that length of time."

"The autopsy also found that Powell's death was an accident and that she had anti-psychotic drugs in her system. Such drugs are known to make people more susceptible to heat-related illnesses."

May Marcia Powell RIP.

In one of Jodi's interviews the other night she mentioned that Travis was aware of the phone sex conversation and that they had discussed it in a "chat" message that for some reason her defense team decide NOT to introduce. Maybe the State should be asking for that chat message if they have not already read it. My guess is she is lying. If she is lying about the chat message she is lying about Travis knowing he was being taped and that should be brought into evidence. Obviously this sex tape was taped by Jodi to use against Travis because he made her move back to CA and could very well have been the reason for the text message he sent to her. I could see him finding out she taped him and how it would send him over the edge.

I'm way behind being up-to-date, but just on this one topic, I had com across a website with a Thread on this topic..If this Tape recording should be let in. This was months before the trial began...I'll try to find it. But I recall some points that were made as to why it should NOT be let in.
It was noted that in California the Law requires Both parties to consent to the recording, and it Must be acknowledged in the beginning of the Recording, just like anytime you might get a call, say from a Bank, and they first let you know they are going to record, in case you don't want to. But it has to be acknowledged first and if you continue the conversation you are agreeing. Its also a Federal Law....aside from that its just Common Sense that the last thing TA would want JA to have is a Recording that she could then Blackmail or threaten him with [coulda happened]. Remember when it was mentioned about TA telling JA her phone voicemail was full.....sure it was, she was keeping recordings

I also have to wonder Why such Testimony that was heard from both Chris & Sky Hughes was never mentioned in court. Those of you you who heard all they had to say on Dr Drew's know wat I mean...And...Last night TA's true former girlfriend Deanna told about one day when TA called her and asked her to please go to his house to take care of Napoleon because he was running late. She explained how she went to his house, entered with the key she had, there was no cars outside, and she smelled cookies baking. She went upstairs to check and finds JA on TA's computer ??? Was she emailing herself damaging email as though it came from TA ??? She did similar things with past "boyfriends". I could go on and on, but mainly I gotta ask, WHY wasn't the Jury informed about all these things.

When you think about it 90% either came from JA's spoken words or written words from her diaries that she had almost 2 months to write anything she wanted to in them. And Det Flores noted that she wanted them "found", as she made sure to mention that she had them a few times, even that one was in a fireproof lock-box.....geeezzz

I believe Travis treated women the way they wanted to be treated which we have heard time and time again through women he dated. We also know from watching Jodi that she can be very sexually provocative and she let Travis know this right up front and I'm sure he liked it because she was different, it was something new. I think he talked to her on that sex tape the way she wanted him to talk to her. Not saying he did not enjoy it but it was so out of his character and it's proven because his goal was to find a Mormon woman who followed the Mormon teachings. Jodi was not serious about her religion and Travis finally became aware of it.

Anyone who calls the media to do an interview is someone who would walk out the door and never look back on an abuser. There is nothing shrinking about Jodi no matter how she tries to portray herself. Just not buying it.

I recall yrs ago reading a book that was written by a KGB defect. In part he said that they had extensively studied the US and that one of our flaws was that the US does not believe in Evil, that we have a hard time accepting that there is evil and that it does exist, and that even when it was in front of us we would choose to ignore it or act like it wasn't there. This was one of our weak spots. I think that they are spot on with this assertation and it clearly has been shown in jury trials like this one.

Hello all. I haven't been on this thread today and no way I can catch up just now. I just want to write down my thoughts on the 'relationship' between Travis and JA. It feels like I'm the only one in the whole world who thinks like this :(

By the way, I'm not trying to make Travis into a saint just because he was brutally murdered. Obviously he did not deserve it he had his good and bad sides as we all do.

Having said that, I believe (from everything I've read and seen) that Travis treated JA better than most people in her life. (I think Brewer was very nice to her as well). He met her. Intense sparks very quickly on both sides. Travis saw someone who was very attractive (back then), articulate, attentive to him etc. JA, of course, found a goldmine. She had never met someone who had it all: youth, good looks, success, religion (not that she was sincerely interested but Mormons are a good prey). Throughout their time together Travis shared his food and apartment (at times) with her, took her on long trips, tried teaching her about the Mormon faith, complemented her frequently on her looks and all (I think he wanted to help her self-esteem which was high anyway)

I think Travis soon realized that JA was superficial and had a very hollow personality. Nevertheless the physical attraction was strong. I believe he was very clear about his feelings for her. Her told he and she darn well knew it. Of course, she wouldn't let go. I don't believe Travis was the one who kept their sexual relationship going. She did to use as an excuse to keep in touch with him. I can imagine JA saying a million times “Travis, we know we’re made for each other even physically. It’s so sexy when you....’ blah, blah, blah. And Travis saying “Ok, JA, we can have sex, you know I think you’re so hot but I don’t think we should ever get back together” And so it continued. I think he treated her very well. Almost no one else really cared about her.

I don’t believe he ever called her names unless she was snooping, stalking, lying about those things etc. Serious offences! Most people would have kicked JA out of their lives but Travis was much too innocent and naïve. I don’t think he had it in him to do that. The closest he came was in May of 2008 but we have evidence that JA (I believe uninvited) visited him on June 3,2008. Innocent Travis. Even if Travis had kicked her out of his life for good she would have still murdered him. She was much too obsessed with the once in a lifetime goldmine that she had found. There are many men who are young, rich, successful but to also be naïve? That’s a rare combination of desirable qualities.
Travis died on June 4, 2008 knowing he had been so kind and good to Jodi. If he had even a moment to think about why she stabbing him I think the only feeling he would have had is one of confusion. ‘WHY ME?’

:seeya:Good Post Rose, I respect and value your opinion. And I think many agree--I personally believe he did not know whe was coming but he did, not matter how reluctant or conflicted, willingly engage in sexual relations that day.

BBM
The part I have bolded speaks to the heart of what a man who is stalked has to contend with, research shows WITHOUT QUESTION that men who have been violated and stalked in this way feel helpless, frustrated, stuck and VERY RELUCTANT to engage LE about the problem before it spirals out of control.

Other than Sky & Chris Hughes, and other friends, I will bet that at least one of his family members tried to get him to pursue legal reporting of what she was doing jmho.

I personally could not imagine what the DT could come up with to use as a defense for JA. I was shocked as I know most were that they used Abuse as a defense. But, then we all knew all the sordid details of what really went on. But, in the post above re: Juror 16, if they believed she was abused physically, mentally, and emotionally, why did they find her guilty of premeditated murder. Thank goodness they did. \

I think it all boiled down to they couldn't go with the death penalty. In JW's words, they couldn't kill her. Now the next obstacle, what can JM present to the new jury to convince them she needs the death penalty. I wish and I believe everything should be admissable and the jury should know all the details. Don't guess that will ever happen though. JMO

The only, (ONLY) thing I saw during the entire trial that made me think Jodi "could" be telling some truth about Travis was regarding the email that Sky Hughes sent to Jodi. The jury heard Alyce LV saying even Travis' best friends said he had "issues" and for Jodi to get away from him for her own good. That was huge! Juan made a big mistake by not calling Sky and Chris to clear this up. I thought it was a mistake during the trial, and now hearing what the jurors are saying, it's crystal clear it should have been disputed. Why didn't Juan feel the need to clear that up? I think more of Travis' friends should have been called to testify. We only heard from ex-girlfriends. There were plenty of male friends that thought the world of Travis. I think not calling Chris and Sky Hughes to the stand is what caused the 4 to believe there was some abuse. My opinion!

The only, (ONLY) thing I saw during the entire trial that made me think Jodi "could" be telling some truth about Travis was regarding the email that Sky Hughes sent to Jodi. The jury heard Alyce LV saying even Travis' best friends said he had "issues" and for Jodi to get away from him for her own good. That was huge! Juan made a big mistake by not calling Sky and Chris to clear this up. I thought it was a mistake during the trial, and now hearing what the jurors are saying, it's crystal clear it should have been disputed. Why didn't Juan feel the need to clear that up? I think more of Travis' friends should have been called to testify. We only heard from ex-girlfriends. There were plenty of male friends that thought the world of Travis. I think not calling Chris and Sky Hughes to the stand is what caused the 4 to believe there was some abuse. My opinion!

2nd BBM
Maryann, I was under the impression that Sky and Chris Hughes were listed as defense witnesses. So is my understanding that Juan couldn't call them to the stand as a witness for the state incorrect? TIA

I agree and thought the same thing, I think I would have had them up there to explain this situation, it did leave it wide open to believe that there was something to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dr_snuff