SIDEBAR #8- Arias/Alexander forum

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What happens if they do not retry the penalty phase? Does the judge automatically sentence her. Sorry if this has been answered somewhere. If so guess I missed it. ty

Yes, if the state would happen to decide to not retry the penalty phase, then Judge Stephens would either sentence her to LWOP or LWP.

Is that a quote from her allocution? I'm thinking she's still grating over the fact that numerous reporters called her out for not saying sorry when she was doing her show and tell presentation ..

The best was when she said "maybe I didn't say those two words....."

I wanted to correct her and say, oh no, you've used "I'M" a LOT! It's that 'sorry' you don't seem to be so good at.

Hah, don't even have to click to know. I've been saying from day one, IMO she is a psychopath - textbook. My undergraduate degree and graduate degree had a lot of psychology classes and the minute I heard her talk, that was my guessestimate. The BPD diagnosis.... I'll defer to the expert Dr. D that JA is that but she is BPD with psychopathy IMO and THAT is plenty reason to not allow her to ever be able to interact with society again. She is perfectly capable of killing again and that is downright frightening.

Jeeezz, Is anyone as deeply disturbed or utterly creeped out as I am that she is quoting herself like she's Martin Luther King, Abe Lincoln, or someone of importance....:facepalm::facepalm:

Yes....very disturbed, her brain and how she thinks...

Lessee, what else has she propped herself up with....

1. Great writer....wrote a manifesto 'n stuff

2. Great artist....traces and colors so good her art was going to be hung next to the masters

3. Great singer....won prison idol

I know there were some other things...help me out peeps...

I think people throw around the word "abuse" too easily. If anyone used such words on me, I would walk away or hang up and never speak to them again. It is ugly, angry and inappropriate. Travis should have simply never spoken to jodi again instead of using such language. But abuse? No.

I work with victims and perpetrators of abuse routinely, in connection with domestic violence litigation. Emotional abuse generally consists of threats, stalking, surveillance. None of what Travis has been proven to have done would get jodi a restraining order.

Of course, if he did that as part of a pattern of conduct that included some other factors, such as getting in her face while screaming in a threatening manner throwing things or breaking things while saying such horrible things, that's abuse.

But even if he talked like that on a continuous basis, which starts to get close to the actionable abuse realm, jodi would have been unable to get a restraining order against Travis without something more.

Of course I'm going by the legal definitions of abuse, not the psychological ones. But I find psychology to be very nebulous and without too many specific lines. Thus in psychology, if it "feels" abusive, it is abuse. And if you go with that definition for abuse, anything can be considered abusive: "He refused to pick up my calls after we just had sex. It made me feel uncomfortable and used." Eg.

Great points but I do take issue with the bolded above.

The abuse excuse is a pop psych star, but not in every day professional psychology. That, IMO, is the problem. Abuse has become a mitigating excuse for every assault on humanity.

This is why, IMO, the likes of Alyce LaViolette are so dangerous and do so much damage.

LOL

A sad, bitter Jodi supporter is asking Tara questions on her twitter account.

https://twitter.com/tarakelley320/status/339850161813590017

It's the one called "AfterNarcAbuse". She's obsessed with so-called "narcissists" and believes that Travis was a "narcissistic abuser", and as such, Jodi was attracted to him because of her BPD. Read her twitter, it's cray cray.

Hah, don't even have to click to know. I've been saying from day one, IMO she is a psychopath - textbook. My undergraduate degree and graduate degree had a lot of psychology classes and the minute I heard her talk, that was my guessestimate. The BPD diagnosis.... I'll defer to the expert Dr. D that JA is that but she is BPD with psychopathy IMO and THAT is plenty reason to not allow her to ever be able to interact with society again. She is perfectly capable of killing again and that is downright frightening.

Its actually about nature vs. nurture. Not...exactly what you are talking about.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

"Couples" say mean things to each other. That's all this is/was IMO

This was also via text. She could have shut her phone off. She was not forced to read the words.
Moo

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

It's confusing to me but I did find this. Sounds like it's part of the penalty phase?

Now, assume that a defendant has been convicted of murder. There is then a sentencing phase to determine how much time the person must spend in prison. It is at this stage that what is generally termed "voluntary manslaughter" becomes relevant in Texas. The defendant may then present evidence that he committed homicide under conditions of "immediate influence of sudden passion arising from an adequate cause." The classic example of this is a spouse walking into a room, seeing that his or her spouse is cheating, and instantly grabbing a gun and shooting at the spouse or lover. Note that a jury may still determine that this is not an adequate cause for voluntary manslaughter.

That's not right. The writer didn't fully understand the law. Because finding they were subject to a sudden passion, in Texas, reduces murder one to murder two, in essence. But it's still murder, not manslaughter.

I think kind of a general breakdown for these types of crimes across the board would be something close to this:

1st degree murder: Planning involved and/or a death occurs during the commission of a certain felony like a violent robbery, rape or child abuse.

Second degree murder - A particularly horrible killing with a gun or knife or bat that occurs as a result of a sudden rage. They kind of mean to kill or hurt really badly but there is no prior planning. These are typically pretty gory killings and jodi's might have fit this somewhat if not for the serious premeditation involved. However, the savagery and prolonged nature of the killing, as well as the fact that she killed him three different ways starts looking less like second degree. Second degree murder is often quite bloody but not necessarily as extreme as what jodi did here.

Voluntary manslaughter - Russian roulette/speeding or driving dangerously while driving drunk/leaving a baby in a hot car because you were in a hotel room doing drugs

Involuntary homicide or criminally negligent homicide - leaving a loaded gun in reach of a child/driving drunk or under the influence but not grossly so/leaving a baby in a hot car because you were in a hurry and forgot.

These are just some examples. I agree , it can be confusing.

I think those last couple days of court turned into a total cluster... They lost momentum over cmja's impact witnesses, her trip to the loony bin, the DT trying to quit for the umpteenth time, then her crazy allocution without a cross by Juan, ban lifted for more tv interviews. It was all a confusing mess. I'm still wondering how the DT pulled off getting the last word!
Juan did a fabulous job explaining the instructions for the m1 charges, I think the circus wore everyone out.

All we have is our opinions and it is for this reason that a second Jury may be a good thing. It appeared that the pentalty phase was about 'strategy' & winning, than about Justice in this case.

New rules for the penalty phase: the Prosecution and Defense to address the Jury once each, not one for the prosecution and then two to the Defense as what happened that day. The Judge allowed this to happen unchallenged! IMO the DT strategy allowed the cold blooded murderer to manipulate the Jury on sympathy with photos and stories of her life and her plans for the rest of her life, etc. IMO DT strategy skewed the evidence saying: 'we do have evidence of verbal abuse' directly to the Jury. Do you want to "kill" her because she "lied'? This was a gross minimization! :furious: This went unchallenged. The Jury did not have all the evidence due to DT strategy to not admit certain evidence crucial to demonstrating Jodi's criminal stalking behaviour. The Judge could have explained the implications of a Hung Judy to the Jury before it deliberated. It seemed like a circus before the HUNG decision was announced.

IMHO it was the politics and strategy in that Court room during the Penalty phase that will now cost the state of AZ much more money.

All just my limited opinion of course.

It took me a very long time to bite the bullet and give up my very simple samsung flip phone....TMobile gave it to me for free cuz they can't downgrade you. My BF bought me a Blackberry that lasted one day ... It stressed me out so bad that I pressed the roller ball thingy with such force it got stuck ... it never recovered. Back to the flip.

I returned the iphone he bought me before I even opened the box. I told him to stop threatening me with technology. This past Fall I was at a party and I answered my phone in front of some smart azz youngin' who chuckled and asked me Did you steal that phone from Zack Morris?

Then my 4 year old niece opened it and pretended to use it as a compact mirror. She didn't know what it was. When I explained it was a phone she laughed at me.

My children asked me on a few occasions NOT to put it on the table in restaurants where people could see it...

I went out to run errands for a few hours one day and left what everyone referred to as "The Dinosaur" on the counter... By the time I got home my BF had taken it to Verizon ... and had all my contacts and stuff put onto a new iphone. I was pizzed at first. Now I love it.

ETA .. I still don't know WTH I'm doing ... a few weeks ago I sat on it in my car and face timed images of my *advertiser censored* to my brother ... which he shared and laughed with everyone in his office about. I assfaced him. Didn't mean to.

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh:
Now if you don't sound like me with my relic phone....I wouldn't know what to do with those newfangled jobbies. :scared::scared: Best laugh I've had all week!

I agree I think the foreman was absolutely devoted to his idea that it was Travis who was the catalyst to Jodi's issues. I also think he was so married to this idea that I doubt he would have changed his mind even if confronted with the interrogation videos of Jodi's parents that CLEARLY demonstrated that Jodi was troubled, severely troubled, long long long before she had ever met Travis. I hope if Juan can enter those videos to rebut the DT's contention that Travis was the root of Jodi's troubles.

The foreman's comments are greatly disturbing to me because he seems convinced that Jodi led a very normal everyday life for 27 years and then BAM she changed overnight after meeting Travis. Least of all that is disturbing is the fact that the foreman's comments almost verbatim mirror DB's comments from his tv interview. I just find those parts of his comments fishy. Very very fishy.

I wonder if there is an astute, investigative reporter out there to wonder, too. Sadly, I doubt it.

IDK if JA's parents tried to get JA counseling but even if they did they might have run into roadblocks.

In the early '90's my son (he was around 15) got into drugs, tagging, stole guns from his friend's father and sold them to a gang, and wrecked a car that belonged to his friend's father. He and another friend stole from their mutual friend's father. How low can anybody get? We took him to counseling and I asked about out patient drug counseling. I wanted my son to have drug testing. I was informed that my minor son would have to give his own permission for the out pt counseling and we could not force him to take a drug test. I was shocked. I asked the counselor what should we do and it was suggested we go to court to have him emancipated. We never did that.

When our friend and neighbor called us and said that our son had stolen his car I did not believe it at first. I was in shock. I quickly found out that he did. His dad was so angry he slapped my son. When the cops came to our house to talk about the car theft, my son told them his dad had hit him. I was standing right there and a cop gave my son his business card and told him to call him if his dad ever hit him again. I was expecting the cops to give my son a good talking to!

Anyway, my son got his life together. Just telling my story about how it is not always easy to get help or support for a wayward (understatement) minor.

Oh I agree! My kids are 20 and 21.
I was just thinking that a juror could fault a parent...
Not that it would be the correct conclusion...

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

How is she still able to tweet???

Jodi Arias ‏@Jodiannarias 6h
"I will be sorry for the rest of my life - probably longer." - Me, my allocution, May 21, 2013

I see she's working on her next allocution.

Hope this isn't a repeat, but Tara says she thinks Travis was so mad because he found out that Jodi planned to blackmail him with the sex tape.

If only we could get 12 CLONES of Tara for the next jury. (If there IS a next jury.) She knows how to put the pieces together and see the big picture. :twocents:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024