Similarities to other Cases. Melinda Duckett, Diane Downs and more

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all first time posting. I saw a picture of KC (the one smirking looking over her shoulder in court.) and the minute I saw it I thought of a picture of Ted Bundyalso smirking in court. I know one has little to do with the other but the resemblance is just startling.

Nice to meet such an intellegent group of people!!

Cara

I know exactly what look you are referring to. You are right, it is a bit uncanny.

I have thought of Darlie Routier more than once while I have been reading and following this case.

I was watching "Most Evil" on my DVR, and (how appropriate!) the topic was about people that scheme and lie.

It opened with the story of Diane Downs.. on May 19, 1983, she shot all three of her children and created superficial wounds on herself to pin it on an imaginary hitchhiker.

At the hospital when one of the kids died, she showed little to no emotion. When she found out the other two would live, she was stunned. From the article: "When told that Danny had a chance of surviving, she replied in an almost-perplexed manner, "Do you mean the bullet missed his heart? Gee whiz!""

There are some parts of the case that aren't remotely like this one (people actually believed Diane Downs at the start, even though law enforcement was suspicious -- the media made Diane look like a hero). However, the motive is what scares me the most. Because of a man that Diane wanted to be with had shunned her and she blamed having three kids for it, that's what drove her to commit such a heinous crime. She thought she could garner sympathy if all three died and he would have no choice but to be with her.

The article is a fascinating read:

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/notorious_murders/famous/downs/1b.html

Anyway, not saying these cases are exactly alike (no two are), but as an observation as I was reading it I could see how some things applied to this case.

I just read this. The most notable thing is that the LE were SURE she was guilty but held out hope that they would find a murder weapon before they arrested her.

I don't think Diane or Casey have anything in common apart from they ' Allegedly ' killed their own offspring.

For starters i think Caylee probably was very neglected before she met her demise , Diane just point blank shot her kid's after visiting a farm to stroke horses.

Also Diane Downs was pregnant most of her fertile life , even until her conviction , Casey has no maternal instincts at all.

JMO as always. :)

Did anyone watch Oprah yesterday?

Brenda S. was on, speaking about the tragic end to her daughter's life.

I remember when that happened, I felt so terrible for her. I knew people would be cruel, but I could tell from the interrogation tapes that she truly loved that child. She and her later daughter, Cecilia, have been on my mind nearly every day since I first heard the news.

Brenda left Cecilia in the car on a hectic day, after forgetting to drop her off at day care. Cecilia died in the car.

Brenda's reaction was that of a mother who felt tremendous love, grief and guilt for what had happened.

Casey's reaction, to brush her daughter's disappearance/death under the rug for 31 days, was not that of a mother who felt those things.

I do think Casey's reaction was much closer to that of Susan Smith, a woman who deliberately killed her children.

OMG! These 2 women are evil twins!:furious:
So many similarities between the two!

It's all about me!
Men, men and more men!
Liars! Liars!! Liars!
No respect for anyone!
Deliberate, cold blooded killers!
No conscience!

Hi all first time posting. I saw a picture of KC (the one smirking looking over her shoulder in court.) and the minute I saw it I thought of a picture of Ted Bundyalso smirking in court. I know one has little to do with the other but the resemblance is just startling.

Nice to meet such an intellegent group of people!!

Cara

I agree completely. Would be nice to see this in a side-by-side, you know?

Here in the UK we've had a spate of Fathers taking their offspring's lives due to divorce bankrupcy whatever.

It makes me very angry , how selfish are they?, if i was so screwed up that i could take my bairns lives , the the first and only shot to the head would be mine.

:bang:

The one thing that confuses me though about Casey is because Caylee only seemed to be a hinderance to her. Casey's friends seemed to accept Caylee openly.

...not necessarily all of them. What about TR? Seems like CA changed her story about how she felt about her child based on what she thought that person would appreciate hearing...it's been made clear she morphed into whatever kind of person that would fit best with the person she was currently with.

I will say that I do agree tho that whatever motives Casey had, it wasn't for a particular person. I don't see a lot of parallels between her and Susan Smith, if anything, she reminds me more of Scott Peterson. I'd say her motivations if any are purely selfish ones, because having a kid didn't "fit" with her lifestyle.

When I read this paragraph, I could hear Casey's phone call home from jail, "Just give me Tony's number, I need Tony's number!"

That's EXACTLY what I thought! Do you think Tony still has contact with lil Miss Casey now that she's a MURDER suspect?

The similarities I see in this case and the Diane Downs case:

Both women man crazy

Phantom perp named (Bushy haired stranger vs. Z the Nanny)

Diane Downs memorialized her children with an engraved unicorn (before they died!) and IMO, KC's tattoo is a memorial

Forensics are centered on the car

Family members hold the key to much of the evidence

LE accused of not following up on leads in both cases

Sociopath label thrown around in both cases

...not necessarily all of them. What about TR? Seems like CA changed her story about how she felt about her child based on what she thought that person would appreciate hearing...it's been made clear she morphed into whatever kind of person that would fit best with the person she was currently with.

I will say that I do agree tho that whatever motives Casey had, it wasn't for a particular person. I don't see a lot of parallels between her and Susan Smith, if anything, she reminds me more of Scott Peterson. I'd say her motivations if any are purely selfish ones, because having a kid didn't "fit" with her lifestyle.

Scott didn't give his unborn child a chance! At least Caylee lived for a few years.

I remember when that happened, I felt so terrible for her. I knew people would be cruel, but I could tell from the interrogation tapes that she truly loved that child. She and her later daughter, Cecilia, have been on my mind nearly every day since I first heard the news.

Brenda left Cecilia in the car on a hectic day, after forgetting to drop her off at day care. Cecilia died in the car.

Brenda's reaction was that of a mother who felt tremendous love, grief and guilt for what had happened.

Casey's reaction, to brush her daughter's disappearance/death under the rug for 31 days, was not that of a mother who felt those things.

I do think Casey's reaction was much closer to that of Susan Smith, a woman who deliberately killed her children.

Yes, I did see this, it was very sad!

My heart BROKE for that poor woman. She wanted to DIE when she realized what happened, not go straddle a stripper pole and get a tattoo.

I think Casey actually uses men as some sort of trophy to herself. The more men (trophies) the more she feels like a winner, wanted and needed. This happens because Cindy puts her down so much she needs the men to feel good about herself. She does not connect emotionally to ANY of them, that is why she can be unfaithful and not feel remorse whatsoever. Sex itself is a form of escape from reality; it is possible she could be addicted to sex.

And yes little Caylee was in her way BUT the real person she hates and wants to kill is her mother. But she can't - the mother is too much of an overpowering person in the house. So the target of her disgust with her mother was Caylee.

What level did Dr Stone assign to Diane Downs on the scale of evil?

Didn't he put her at #14, 'Ruthlessly self-centered psychopathic schemers'?

That sounds like Miss Casey...

i've been saying since the beginning that casey reminds me of diane downs. they way they both seem to put MEN above their own kids, the way SEX seems most important, their lack of emotion over what happens to their children.

Ditto... I've been saying this from the beginning too. She even has the same smirk as Diane Downs...

DianeDowns.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members