SoCal fires continue thread 2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
LM, the video of the Oakland Hills fire will make a believer out of anyone. I can still remember the flames blowing directly across the entire street as the fire climbed the hills:

The Oakland Firestorm of 1991 was a large urban fire that occurred in the hillsides of northern Oakland, California and southeastern Berkeley on Sunday October 20, 1991, almost exactly two years after the Loma Prieta earthquake. The fire has also been called the Oakland hills firestorm, the East Bay Hills Fire, and the Tunnel Fire (because of its origin above the west portal of the Caldecott Tunnel) in Oakland. The fire ultimately killed 25 people and injured 150 others. The 1,520 acres (6.2 km²) destroyed included 2,843 single-family dwellings and 437 apartment and condominium units. The economic loss has been estimated at $1.5 billion.[1]

Buzz, what a horrible fire that was. I'll never forget it. Everything went up in flames.

xxxxxxxxxxooooo
mama:
blowkiss:

I can't believe I woke up to even worse news about Pendleton. I just saw on channel 10 the traffic back up on 1-5 and 76. I just emailed my late husband's ex-wife and she wasn't aware of the change overnight. The last she knew last night the fires were 15 miles away. But that wasn't considering the Pendleton fires.

I can't believe I woke up to even worse news about Pendleton. I just saw on channel 10 the traffic back up on 1-5 and 76. I just emailed my late husband's ex-wife and she wasn't aware of the change overnight. The last she knew last night the fires were 15 miles away. But that wasn't considering the Pendleton fires.
My dh and I watched it rage last night suzq. I can see it pretty clerly from my house and it is raging.We drove down to Pendleton to see what was going on, it ultimately jumped the 5! 5 is shut down no way to get between counties at this point.

more news:

PRELIMINARY EARTHQUAKE REPORT ==

Region: CENTRAL CALIFORNIA
Geographic coordinates: 35.836N, 117.685W
Magnitude: 4.3 Ml
Depth: 5 km
Universal Time (UTC): 24 Oct 2007 12:22:48
Time near the Epicenter: 24 Oct 2007 05:22:48
Local standard time in your area: 24 Oct 2007 12:22:48

Location with respect to nearby cities:
24 km (15 miles) N (358 degrees) of Ridgecrest, CA
24 km (15 miles) NNE (29 degrees) of Inyokern, CA
28 km (18 miles) WNW (286 degrees) of Searles Valley, CA
205 km (127 miles) NNE (14 degrees) of Los Angeles Civic Center, CA

The Pendleton fire was very far east of 1-5 last night. And it jumped I-5? How does a fire move so far overnight?

JBean, that is just incredible to me. Pendleton is huge. I remembering driving for miles and miles through it.

Sounds like something you could successully promote L_M, and now is a good time; we want to help the soldiers in any way we can; get the newspapers to pick up on it, and do a little article.

Buzz.......I now have my 15 yr. old grandson staying at my house because air quality where his mom lives in Sweetwater is so bad. They're up high on a ridge overlooking the Sweetwater Reservoir, and so far the fire has only come to edge of the water and all day yesterday they were dropping water on the hillside near the home. They'll probably be okay.........but the smoke is horrible.

ALSO..........trying to keep up with these fires, plus the fact that my daugher Annie due to have a baby TOMORROW......I've got a lot of stuff already lined up right now.

BUT I think getting involved with these soldiers families at Pendelton would be a great idea. Even the housing where they live is terrible. Never repaired.........nothing!

xxxxxxxxxxooooooo
mama
:blowkiss: :blowkiss:

On CNN they said the Pendleton fire was set by firefighters as a control fire. Did anyone else hear that? I haven't heard it reported anywhere else,in fact I heard that the fire jumped 1-5,and spread to CP.

EARTHQUAKE?!!!! Thats all California needs now.

I just got this from my stepdaughter. They sound like they are in good shape compared to what others are going through. FYI she is east of 1-5 and south of 76.

well there is so much going on it is so damn stressfull. the fallbrook fire that is about 20 miles from us is still burning it has burned about 8,000 acres. we got a phone call last night from one of robs buddies they were getting evacutaed off base cuz the fire is right by them and is were rob works. if you get onto fox6.com that is our news chanel that will tell you alot about what is going on. we have lucked out with the wind on our end so far but it just wrecks my nerves that it could change so fast and come twords us. i have everything ready to go for just in case we get evacutaed! but yeah if you go on that website fox6.com that will give you tons of answers and info. thankyou and i will keep you posted

Love Mama, my stepdaughter and her husband are really strapped living off base. Especially since mom stays home with the baby. But they refuse to live on base because the conditions are so bad.

Mesmom, those pictures are incredibly scary!

Hockeymom, I think the fires were started as backfires in response to fires that started on base yesterday?

The Pendleton fire was very far east of 1-5 last night. And it jumped I-5? How does a fire move so far overnight?
It was not that far east of I-5 last night. we drove down and watched it, the flames were huge and it was truly raging. It was pretty far north on the Camp.

I would have thought that CP would have their own fire dept but they don't.
I can see the copters going back and forth to the base.

It was not that far east of I-5 last night. we drove down and watched it, the flames were huge and it was truly raging. It was pretty far north on the Camp.

Thanks JBean. What the heck are they doing with the traffic trying to evacuate NB on I-5? East on 76? Then where?

On CNN they said the Pendleton fire was set by firefighters as a control fire. Did anyone else hear that? I haven't heard it reported anywhere else,in fact I heard that the fire jumped 1-5,and spread to CP.

EARTHQUAKE?!!!! Thats all California needs now.

WHat I heard was the one last night was a controlled burn or back burn. And the winds came and grabbed it
eartquakes now. I guess SOCAL is really shaking an Baking

Does anyone know what would happen if the fire hit the Nuclear facility of San Onofre?

Lets hope we never find out what would happen Jbean. you stay safe will you. And out of the police way today:rolleyes:

Thanks JBean. What the heck are they doing with the traffic trying to evacuate NB on I-5? East on 76? Then where?
The 5 is now open and things have calmed down considerably..

Lets hope we never find out what would happen Jbean. you stay safe will you. And out of the police way today:rolleyes:

ROFL!!! She only tangled with LE because she wanted to get a better look at the fire. And then she only drove down to get a better look at it!

JBean, how much traffic was there driving toward the fire last night? BTW, glad to see you are still able to be on today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elementpro