South Africa - Martin, 55, Theresa, 54, Rudi van Breda, 22, murdered, 26 Jan 2015 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you everyone for all the updates. JJ, like you, I wonder how the "legals" sleep at night when trying so hard to allow a murderer to escape justice. I appreciate everyone is entitled to a good defence but B. takes the biscuit. I am hoping there is an equally "clever" prosecutor. Do we know anything about the Prosecution and their historical success/failure rate?

Thank you everyone for all the updates. JJ, like you, I wonder how the "legals" sleep at night when trying so hard to allow a murderer to escape justice. I appreciate everyone is entitled to a good defence but B. takes the biscuit. I am hoping there is an equally "clever" prosecutor. Do we know anything about the Prosecution and their historical success/failure rate?

My only answer to that is someone has to do it I suppose.

This is what I found IB.

Senior advocate Susan Galloway represented the State. Her high profile cases include convictions against minibus taxi driver Jacob Humphreys after the death of 10 children when his vehicle was hit by a train at the Buttskop level crossing in Blackheath in 2010; as well as the murder of performance artist Rosemary Theron, whose daughter and her boyfriend were sentenced for strangling her at her Clovelly home in 2013.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/N...-states-case-against-henri-van-breda-20160614

Anthony Molyneaux‏ @AJGMolyneaux 30m30 minutes ago

K: it was strange that the cigarette packet was torn open & on the ground. 'I wouldn't do that to my cigarettes.'

K: I wouldn't expect a person to kill a cigarette on the ground in their own house.
--------------------------------------------

If those cigarettes test positive for HvB's dna, what will be made of that?

Mr K's verbiage is a bit off, I don't think I would have said kill. I wouldn't expect a person to kill their family on the ground in their own house.

Prime, I know what I would make of it :). HVB taking time to think what he should do next to fix his alibi. An intruder would never stand and smoke "on the job" and I don't think the rest of the family would treat their home like that (we are told it was immaculate).

The open safe too is odd. The parents were said to be security conscious. How on earth would the intruder know the code and HVB hasn't stated anyone was forced to open it. I still cannot think why an intruder would choose to go upstairs where the family was sleeping rather than rummage through the ground floor for swag which appears not to have happened. Looks extremely likely this was HVB attempting to set the scene but has not adequately thought through the process. Surely the Prosecutor will tie HVB up in knots?

Anthony Molyneaux‏ @AJGMolyneaux 11m11 minutes ago

Welcome back. Court resumes at the Cape Town High Court

Kleynhans steps down as witness. Next witness is Lorenzo Afrika, an employee of De Zalze Estate.

Lorenzo Afrika worked as a security guard for Thorntons security, responding to any issues on De Zalze Estate.

Lorenzo Afrika: I respond to alarms going off, checking if the electric fence is working around the property.

State advocate Galloway asking Afrika about the electric fence and how sensitive it is: Afrika states it is very sensitive.

Afrika: there are 2 people who patrol the area. Myself and a fellow employee would patrol the estate.

Afrika states that there are areas around the estate which needs to be checked every day. These are called bloodhound points.

The next witness is Lorenzo Afrika, who worked for a security company operating at De Zalze Estate. He was first responder

He checks that electricity fence is operational, that electricity runs through it.

He also goes to specific points to check that all is in order. Geotab system and a clocking system checks that he had indeed gone to check all the points. A full report is sent to show he had done this.

He was on duty the night of the murders. Afrika had tested the security fence, He said he found no problems during inspection, or on barrier fence. All in order and as it should be.

Did it five times during his night shift.

[url]http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/live-day-4-in-court-for-murder-accused-henri-van-breda-20170502[/URL]

Prime, I know what I would make of it :). HVB taking time to think what he should do next to fix his alibi. An intruder would never stand and smoke "on the job" and I don't think the rest of the family would treat their home like that (we are told it was immaculate).

The open safe too is odd. The parents were said to be security conscious. How on earth would the intruder know the code and HVB hasn't stated anyone was forced to open it. I still cannot think why an intruder would choose to go upstairs where the family was sleeping rather than rummage through the ground floor for swag which appears not to have happened. Looks extremely likely this was HVB attempting to set the scene but has not adequately thought through the process. Surely the Prosecutor will tie HVB up in knots?

So many things point to an inside job, yes, the safe! I hope the prosecutor makes mince meat of HvB story, he's been described as sitting calmly while Botha dismantled Kleyhnans testimony. Wait till it's his turn!

Anthony Molyneaux‏ @AJGMolyneaux 9m9 minutes ago @timeslive

Afrika says he checked the fences and did all security checks on the night of the triple murders.He states everything was working.
Afrika states that nothing bothered him&no sign of forced entry on the night of the murders. Not even a false alarm.
Afrika: we had incidents where frogs have disturbed fence and an alarm went off. On that night not even frogs disturbed the fence.
Defence Adv Combrink now cross examines Afrika
Combrink: do you know the mechanisms of how the fence works? Afrika states he does not know mechanisms
Dry sand will not affect the fence as it can't carry current.Combrink now poses question regarding machines that can stop current

Anthony Molyneaux‏ @AJGMolyneaux 7m7 minutes ago @timeslive

Combrink is pointing out zones on an old blueprint of estate. Afrika says zones were not same on the night of murders as on print.

Combrink speaks about an antidig (cement settled under fence so people cannot dig under a fence). He asks Afrika how he knows......that there in fact is an antidig under the fence. Afrika responds that he is not authorized to scratch & dig under fence.

EWN Reporter @ewnreporter · 2m

Henri's uncle Andre du Toit is in public gallery today. There haven't been many family members in court. GG

I'm not surprised. With the poll still showing more than 81% think HvB is lying, why would you want to draw attention to yourself. The public have had enough of privileged rich men getting away with murder.

Anthony Molyneaux‏ @AJGMolyneaux 4m4 minutes ago @timeslive

Afrika states that there are cameras observing the gate that allows water to flow into the estate.

Afrika is now drawing on an estate blueprint where the 44 cameras were located during the time of the murders. #vanbreda @TimesLIVE

State advocate Galloway and defence need some time to look at camera locations. Court will reconvene in the morning.

-------

I suppose the defence has to convince the judge and assessor that intruders could have by-passed security, that it wasn't an impossibility. Lets see if there's any sign of footprints etc. inside the house.

EWN Reporter @ewnreporter · 1m

Court adjourns for the day. Will reconvene tomorrow at 10am. MM

This is all very interesting, but as nothing was stolen from the house, are we to believe that someone checked out the entire perimeter of the estate and found the spot that wasn't covered by a camera or had anti-dig under the fence?

While motive isn't necessary, it seems incredible that an unarmed intruder would risk everything to kill a family who were unknown to him without a reason.

I think Afrika is doing well so far.

Anthony Molyneaux‏ @AJGMolyneaux 8m8 minutes ago

Henri #vanbreda and his defense advocate Pieter Botha in court for day 5 of his triple murder trial.

Reporting for @TimesLIVE

De Zalze former security officer Lorenzo Afrika is on the stand today in the Henri #vanbreda murder trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member