South Africa - Martin, 55, Theresa, 54, Rudi van Breda, 22, murdered, 26 Jan 2015 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar case in South Africa where teenage son shot all other family members and blamed an intruder

The Steenkamp Family Murders - Griekwastad murder case

Steenkamp was found guilty of murdering his father, Griekwastad farmer Deon Steenkamp (44) his mother Christel (43) and his sister Marthella (14).

‘In two days you are a man. Now, be a man’

Previously most media reports did not state the family connection as this would have identified him while he was under the age of 18.

They were shot dead on their farm Naauwhoek on April 6, 2012.

He was also found guilty on charges of raping the girl and lying to the police.

On Wednesday, Northern Cape Judge President Frans Kgomo sentenced him to 20 years imprisonment on each of the three murder counts, 12 years on the rape count, and four years for defeating the ends of justice. All sentences would run concurrently.

http://www.you.co.za/news/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-griekwastad-murder-case/

I posted this too. :blushing: I wonder if the sentence will be similar for HvB if found guilty, 20 yrs doesn't seem right to me.

Lots of great info IB and Estelle about drug abuse, schizophrenia and psychopathy. There is something seriously wrong with HvB, imo. Cutting off his allowance sent him over the edge.
I watched the video again where Botha was reading HvB's statement and noticed IB's observation that he looked stressed, anxious when hearing his own words describing the slaughter of Rudi and Martin. He's guilty and I just hope the evidence will bear it out.

Prime, in response to your post #821. He was sentenced to 20 years for each of the 3 murders but all 3 will be served concurrently, hence "an effective 20 years in prison".

I posted this too. :blushing: I wonder if the sentence will be similar for HvB if found guilty, 20 yrs doesn't seem right to me.

Yes that's what drew my attention to this case wondering what sentence HvB will get based on other cases. Serving concurrently three murders!!!!

I'd be surprised ... um, maybe not. The other boy was under 18, still a minor. HvB was 20 at the time so he should be treated differently, but you just never know what to expect in SA.

Did you read the story of the Waterkloof Four. What an absolutely appalling story. They were aged 14-16 and ended up serving 5 1/2 years of their 12 year sentences. It was an absolute free for all in prison and they even had parties in their cells. No doubt the guards were paid to turn a blind eye to all the goings on.

https://mg.co.za/article/2014-02-13-the-waterkloof-four-its-water-under-the-bridge-boys [20

I'd be surprised ... um, maybe not. The other boy was under 18, still a minor. HvB was 20 at the time so he should be treated differently, but you just never know what to expect in SA.

Did you read the story of the Waterkloof Four. What an absolutely appalling story. They were aged 14-16 and ended up serving 5 1/2 years of their 12 year sentences. It was an absolute free for all in prison and they even had parties in their cells. No doubt the guards were paid to turn a blind eye to all the goings on.

https://mg.co.za/article/2014-02-13-the-waterkloof-four-its-water-under-the-bridge-boys [20

I watched the video they uploaded too, that was no sentence in prison, it was a frat party! :no:

C_iAf1GW0AAzPic.jpg

Anthony Molyneaux‏ @AJGMolyneaux 7m7 minutes ago

Henri #vanbreda in court for day 10. Wearing a black shirt & airplane lapel on grey suit. More testimony from state witnesses today. @TimesLIVE

RSBM
Anthony Molyneaux‏ @AJGMolyneaux 7m7 minutes ago

Henri #vanbreda in court for day 10. Wearing a black shirt & airplane lapel on grey suit. More testimony from state witnesses today. @TimesLIVE

Danielle gave him the airplane ... and he likes it.

Day 10

James Reade-Jahn, Marli's ex-boyfriend, will be testifying first.

He says he knows Henri, he is the brother of my ex-girlfriend.

His family knew the Van Bredas, says they were family friends. They were dating at the time of the family's murders. He was 16 in 2015.

Reade-Jahn says he and Henri had loads of conversations, had a really good relationship. "Almost good friends".

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/live-van-breda-axe-murder-trial-day-10-20170511

Anthony Molyneaux‏ @AJGMolyneaux 8m8 minutes ago

Jahn states that at the time of the murders, he was dating Marli. He was 16 years old.
Jahn states he saw Marli everyday at school. He got along well with Henri, says they were good friends.
Jahn says he often visited their house&went on holiday with them.Normal family, had good relationships with one another.
Jahn says she loved both her brothers very much. Looked up to them. Henri is visibly moved by this statement.
Jahn says parents had good relationship with each other. Holidays to Knysna. Martin was dominant in relationship. Few arguments.

@TimesLIVE

Reade-Jahn often visited the house, and went on holiday with the family.

Saw them as a normal family. All seemed to have good relationships with one another, a few arguments, as with all families. But besides that, nothing detrimental to the family.

Marli loved both brothers very much, looked up to them for inspiration in terms of academics. I think her relationship was different to one another, still very good.

She would talk to them about differnt things; to Rudi about academics and Henri about sport or music. She would do different things with them; fishing with Rudi and water-skiing with Henri.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...ay-10-20170511

Anthony Molyneaux‏ @AJGMolyneaux 6m6 minutes ago @TimesLIVE

Jahn states Teresa wanted a bit more freedom after coming back to SA.But Martin wanted best for them.Henri starts to cry.
Jahn takes us through the day after the murders. He says he tried calling Marli but there was no answer. Was worried.
Jahn asked his mother to go check on the house and Marli after not answering Jahn's calls.

a brief break and Jahn looks around court, scans past Henri. Looks up at gallery. Gets more comfortable in stand.

On the parents: they had good interaction with their children, very family inclined. They loved going away to Knysna on holiday.

Martin and Teresa seemed to have a good relationship. Martin more dominant, he had more control, was the more controlling figure than Teresa was.

A few arguments would arise from that. I think Teresa wanted a little more freedom when she came from Oz to SA, think he wasn't used to that.

On the children: Martin was similar. He wanted the best for his children, wanted them to be as diligent as possible. He did want to keep family together as much as he could, and just be a good father.

Prior to murders, he last saw her on 26th at school, then chatted over whatsapp.

He whatsapped her to say good morning and she didn't areply. Got to school and she was normally there before me.

Thought she slept in, called but no answer.

He called family, no answer. Got a bit worried.

Asked his mother who worked in Stellenbosch to go across and see if everything was alright. Then his mother came to school and told him what had happened.

De Zalze issued cards to family, Van Bredas had five, for each family member. We went there often, so they gave us one card.

Recognises the page with emergency numbers. Paper on the fridge was the emergency contact list for the children for security, etc.

Easily accessible because they wouldn't have it on their phones.

Anthony Molyneaux‏ @AJGMolyneaux 5m5 minutes ago @TimesLIVE

Now we're looking at exhibits. Jahn looks at photos of murder weapons&cigarettes.J states he knows the axe. It was the van Breda's
Jahn stumbles and holds back tears when mentioning 'blood on handle' when looking at photographs of murder weapon.
Jahn looks at axe in courtroom (suspected murder weapon) & says he recognises shape&size but remembers the head of axe being black
J states Henri never smoked when family was around.
police took Jahn's phone after murders.
Jahn's fingerprints were found on boot of car. Police questioned him about this. He says he was with the family a lot.

(oh, crikey)

He called family, no answer. Got a bit worried.

Asked his mother who worked in Stellenbosch to go across and see if everything was alright. Then his mother came to school and told him what had happened.

De Zalze issued cards to family, Van Bredas had five, for each family member. We went there often, so they gave us one card.

Recognises the page with emergency numbers. Paper on the fridge was the emergency contact list for the children for security, etc.

Easily accessible because they wouldn't have it on their phones.

Photos of axe, knife, cigarettes, lighter and phone.

He recognised axe and cigarettes.

Tammy Petersen ‎@TammyPetersen87

Henri #VanBreda speaks to Adv Matthys Combrink ahead of day 10 of his triple murder trial. Proceedings should start shortly.

There’s a 3 minute video clip re yesterday’s proceedings.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/live-van-breda-axe-murder-trial-day-10-20170511

HvB's lawyers look like twin wideboys with their shaven heads!

I am unsure why my previous description of the lawyers was unacceptable. I would have thought the word t*h*u*g*s* was harmless enough!.

The axe: earlier in 2014, I walked into the house after school and Martin had bought an axe and Marli asked me to come to fireplace.

I saw if a few times after that in garage.

The axe I saw was 40 - 50cm long, light brown handle, black top with silver blade. When I saw the picture, the blood on the axe made it look very similar.

Distorted the colour and made it seem black.

He is shown exhibit A - he recognises shape and size, but from his recollection head of axe was black.

I never saw them using it; assume they used it to chop wood for flint or wood for fireplace

Henri smoked Camel cigarettes and he had seen him smoking it before, Reade-Jahn said. I never saw him smoking when family members were around.

Family was bilingual, spoke English and Afrikaans quite often.

His cellphone was also confiscated during investigation [second day of investigations]

To download conversations he had had with family members, he assumes.

Reade-Jahn's fingerprint was found on one of vehicles in the garage, on the boot.

He said he was with them often, took things out of the car for them and closed the boot.

He was asked by police to explain about messages he had sent. 10 January to 11 January, conversation between him and Marli.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member