South Africa - Martin, 55, Theresa, 54, Rudi van Breda, 22, murdered, 26 Jan 2015 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Estelle. In the witness box he didn't seem, at times, to be aware of the importance of his answers.

Interview with Teresa's sister, Leenta Nel (she's lived in Canada with her husband for 20 years) All the family including the grandmother believes Henri's version.

"Although I may wonder if Henri could be responsible for murdering my sister as well as his dad and brother, I do know the person who did definitely wasn't the Henri I know.

If it was him, something must have happened in his brain that night to make him act totally differently. Because the next morning, when my brother Andre [de Toit] saw Henri, he was his normal self. He was the Henri we've all known since he was little."

She recalls a particular day in 2014, which strengthen her beliefs that the boy she knew couldn't have slaughtered his family. Her mom, Rika d Toit (now 93), had arrived from Kempton Park to visit the family in Cape Town and had taken a fall.
"She cut her elbow and Teresa asked Henri to help tend to the wound. He wouldn't because blood made him feel queasy," Leenta says.

"Everybody already thinks he's guilty. But what if he's actually innocent? Can you imagine what absolute hell he must be going through? We're holding our breath for the verdict", Leenta says.

https://www.pressreader.com/south-africa/you-south-africa/20171005/281595240724999

After Monday, time for a long break from WS. :loveyou:

Thanks Prime for your wonderful work.
Go back to your other life and enjoy.
Perhaps after long deserved break, we will see you again at WS.

Adv Botha says last Wednesday, #VanBreda contacted attorney to say he had suffered a seizure. Prelim tests done on Thursday at Constantiaberg Mediclinic. Discharged last night at 7pm.

Neurologist who treated #VanBreda wanted to speak to Adv Botha, diagnosed the accused with juvenile myoclonic epilepsy. Client has for some time experienced petit mal seizures, Botha says.

Dr Butler was on the State's witness list. Consulted with #VanBreda before. Botha asks that matter stand down, as he wants to call Butler as an expert witness. Pertinent to the matter, relevant to 2h40m loss of memory.

Ethical issue, Judge Desai asks. Adv Botha says State would have consulted with most if not all of the witnesses, who had been made available to the defence. Desai says it's an unusual issue.

If defence not entitled to call Dr Butler, he will ask for the court to call Dr Butler. Psychologist in light of what had happened, would first like to see Dr Butler's report as it may impact part of her evidence.

Desai asks if #VanBreda is fit to stand trial if he was released from hospital yesterday. Botha says he only underwent tests. Desai says he doesn't look very well today. Adv Botha says he is told this is his usual look.

[URL]https://twitter.com/TeamNews24[/URL]

I think I’m about to lose my mind.

Adv Galloway says State would like time to consider what has been said. She would be able to cross-examine the psychologist. Considered her report's content, decided not to object to admissibility but will argue on admissibility.

Judge Desai says State should be privy to Dr Butler's report. Defence says they can complete evidence in chief and matter can stand down to allow State to prepare for cross-examination.

Trial postponed to Tuesday morning.

[url]https://twitter.com/TeamNews24[/URL]

How many times can we say we're sick of this trial.

Desai, as well as Botha, concerned about how unwell HvB looks!! Another dirty trick? I'm giving up on this trial.

It’s almost like ‘Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!’ Sheesh!

And the occasional petit mal seizure is going to get him off? I'm so angry!

An absence seizure (formerly classified as petit mal), is a very uncommon seizure that begins suddenly and occurs without any warning signs.

People experiencing absence seizures typically appear to stare without moving. Usually lasting less than 15 seconds, absence seizures can occur many times a day and may be mistaken for daydreaming.
While the patient may not remember what happened during the seizure, they’ll typically return to being instantly alert as soon as the seizure is finished.

Treatment of absence (petit mal) seizures

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/neu...eizures/types/absence-petit-mal-seizures.html

BIBs sum it up nicely.

Alternative Names
Seizure - petit mal; Absence seizure; Seizure - absence

Causes
Petit mal seizures occur most often in people under age 20, usually in children ages 6 to 12.

They may occur with other types of seizures, such as generalized tonic-clonic seizures (grand mal seizures), twitches or jerks (myoclonus), or sudden loss of muscle strength (atonic seizures).

Symptoms
Most petit mal seizures last only a few seconds. They often involve staring episodes or absence spells. The episodes may:
Occur many times a day
Occur for weeks to months before being noticed
Interfere with school and learning
Be mistaken for lack of attention or other misbehavior

Unexplained difficulties in school and learning difficulties may be the first sign of petit mal seizures.

During the seizure, the person may:
Stop walking and start again a few seconds later
Stop talking in mid-sentence and start again a few seconds later

The person usually does not fall during the seizure.

Immediately after the seizure, the person is usually:
Wide awake
Thinking clearly

Unaware of the seizure
[But HvB contacted his attorney to say he had suffered a seizure]

Specific symptoms of typical petit mal seizures may include:
Changes in muscle activity, such as no movement, hand fumbling, fluttering eyelids, lip smacking, chewing
Changes in alertness (consciousness), such as staring episodes, lack of awareness of surroundings, sudden halt in movement, talking, and other awake activities
May be triggered by hyperventilation or flashing lights, in some cases

Atypical petit mal seizures begin slower and last longer. Symptoms are similar but muscle activity changes may be more noticeable.
There is no one treatment method for any patient with a seizure disorder. Each treatment plan is tailored to the individual patient based on their diagnosis and symptoms. Treatment options may include medical therapy, nerve stimulation, dietary therapy, or surgery, as appropriate.

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/petit-mal-seizure/overview.html[/URL]

No words for what I think of HvB or Botha.

Alternative Names
Seizure - petit mal; Absence seizure; Seizure - absence

Causes
Petit mal seizures occur most often in people under age 20, usually in children ages 6 to 12.

They may occur with other types of seizures, such as generalized tonic-clonic seizures (grand mal seizures), twitches or jerks (myoclonus), or sudden loss of muscle strength (atonic seizures).

Symptoms
Most petit mal seizures last only a few seconds. They often involve staring episodes or absence spells. The episodes may:
Occur many times a day
Occur for weeks to months before being noticed
Interfere with school and learning
Be mistaken for lack of attention or other misbehavior

Unexplained difficulties in school and learning difficulties may be the first sign of petit mal seizures.

During the seizure, the person may:
Stop walking and start again a few seconds later
Stop talking in mid-sentence and start again a few seconds later

The person usually does not fall during the seizure.

Immediately after the seizure, the person is usually:
Wide awake
Thinking clearly

Unaware of the seizure
[But HvB contacted his attorney to say he had suffered a seizure]

Specific symptoms of typical petit mal seizures may include:
Changes in muscle activity, such as no movement, hand fumbling, fluttering eyelids, lip smacking, chewing
Changes in alertness (consciousness), such as staring episodes, lack of awareness of surroundings, sudden halt in movement, talking, and other awake activities
May be triggered by hyperventilation or flashing lights, in some cases

Atypical petit mal seizures begin slower and last longer. Symptoms are similar but muscle activity changes may be more noticeable.
There is no one treatment method for any patient with a seizure disorder. Each treatment plan is tailored to the individual patient based on their diagnosis and symptoms. Treatment options may include medical therapy, nerve stimulation, dietary therapy, or surgery, as appropriate.

http://www.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/petit-mal-seizure/overview.html

No words for what I think of HvB or Botha.

One of my friends has severe epilepsy, controlled by a VNS implant. I am offended by both of them on her behalf.

Mihalik says he has no more questions for Nader @TeamNews24 State has no re-examination. Nader excused.

Botha suggests that 2h40m loss of consciousness may be related to his client's condition.

Desai wants both teams to establish if ethical issues may arise if Dr. Butler (next defence witness) had been a state witness at any stage.

Botha tells the court that the psychologist witness wants to hear from Dr. Butler before she testifies.

Botha assures that #vanBreda is fit to stand trial. Underwent medical tests. His juvenile myoclonic epilepsy has no medical repercussions.

Desai still wants to know from both teams the relevance of the psychologist who the defence intends to call in as witness. Court is adjourned until 10am tomorrow. We can expect to hear from the psychologist, Ms. Bourke, next

[url]https://twitter.com/CapeTownEtc[/URL]

As some of you will have noticed, I don’t say much. Am a serious Lurker! Today, however, I really am speechless........................

How confusing. I can't work out which doctor or psychologist said what to who, when they said it and who objects.

Never mind. It's great that they air all of this nonsense before the guilty verdict. Who cares what he did for 2hrs 40 mins, after the murders.

One of my friends has severe epilepsy, controlled by a VNS implant. I am offended by both of them on her behalf.
Oh wow, a friend of mine had one of those. Unfortunately we stilll lost him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member