South Africa - Martin, 55, Theresa, 54, Rudi Van Breda, 22, Murdered, 26 Jan 2015 #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no pre-disposition to commit acts of violence, that counts in your favor.

You have been diagnosed with juvenile myclonic epilepsy and are on medication for this and also for depression and anxiety.

It seems as if the murders were committed within the same period of time and it seems that the factors that lead to each murder were the same.

Cape {Town} Etc (@CapeTownEtc) | Twitter

So how many years is that? He did not say that the life sentences were to be served concurrently but is that understood? 91 years or 41 years?

I note HvB is nodding to various points Desai is making about the attacks. Why does he still proclaim his innocence?

Yes, every time Judge Desai said "I sentence you to life imprisonment" he nodded quite emphatically. But he's still going to appeal? Good grief, what on earth does he hope to achieve? SMH.

I suspect the appeal will be to attempt to get him out of prison whilst he waits for the court appointment. It will be claimed he is no danger to the public and like Pistorius he will probably be free for another 2 or so years. I don't see any reason for an appeal to be successful but we all watched Pistorius avoid jail for some long while. Time will tell.

Team News24 (@TeamNews24) | Twitter

The State’s dream team: Advocates Megan Blows and Susan Galloway with investigating officer Sergeant Marlon Appollis.

DfE8W-gXkAAg-NC.jpg

Are they concurrent?

I thought he'd be quite specific. It rather sounds like it's the term of his natural life, however after 25 years he is still eligible to apply for parole.

In Oz we have a sentence "never to be released" but SA doesn't have that.

I suspect the appeal will be to attempt to get him out of prison whilst he waits for the court appointment. It will be claimed he is no danger to the public and like Pistorius he will probably be free for another 2 or so years. I don't see any reason for an appeal to be successful but we all watched Pistorius avoid jail for some long while. Time will tell.

But was Pistorius allowed out pending sentencing? Botha tried to argue that Henri was no danger, his face was too well known etc but Desai wouldn't have it because of the seriousness of the crimes. If he wouldn't allow Henri out pre-sentencing, hopefully he won't allow him out pending the appeal.

When Judge Desai said "if I impose one life sentence, then all other sentences automatically run concurrently," it sounded like he didn't have any choice in the matter.

Still, at least he didn't find any reason to be "merciful" as he previously suggested. 25 years is little enough, but at least he didn't make it any less.

Only 25 years for five crimes and he can appeal after 25 years and stay in the hospital wing.

What grounds do you think Botha can appeal on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734