GUILTY South Africa - Susan Rohde, 47, murdered, Stellenbosch, 24 July 2016 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I thought this.was well said...
Jason Rohde found guilty of wife's murder

IMHO.. no-one should be let go when it comes to trying to victimize the victim further by smearing their memory. Especially when trying to buy their way out of jail with expensive laywers... once again, just my opinion. Job well done judge, you've done South Africa proud!

Hope JR keeps losing all his money, as he continues with Appeals: probably because of money, he has cut down on numbers of lawyers already.:):):)
He has aged drastically, and looks horrid when sentenced.
Guilt has caught up with him.

Being 'locked up' will do him good, this CEO, who thought his word would have more baring, than that of a handy man.:(:(:(
Well, even the Judge commented on this tactic.
I remember Tortoise, brought this up, just recently too.:)

Perhaps, when in prison, he can learn some handy man skills, so in the future, he can open these 'so difficult' bathroom locks.:D:D:D
But, he'll never progress any higher, than a convicted criminal.

When will we hear from LVN?:):):):)
I want to see the happiness on his face.
He deserves this moment.
He was bland, unlike Spuy who spent his argument in 'running down everyone', EXCEPT his witnesses, all who failed dismally. :D:D

I hope Susan's family were watching. If they were anything like me they may have thought she was going to go the other way and couldn't bear to watch. It felt so cathartic to hear the washing away of all the mud the defence threw at the State's case. Very satisfying. I know its not going to be that simple for them to deal with, but it's justice and it's a place to start healing. They must have been in limbo.

I am very sorry for the daughters. He's ruined so many lives. Even though he was shaking his head, I did get the feeling he was reliving it as she laid out her findings, it was like the case was unlocked.

When will we hear from LVN?:):):):)
I want to see the happiness on his face.
He deserves this moment.
He was bland, unlike Spuy who spent his argument in 'running down everyone', EXCEPT his witnesses, all who failed dismally. :D:D
I would like to see that too. I haven't looked to see if he's been interviewed. Maybe they'll wait until after sentencing.

This is what Spuy said about mitigation:

"My Lady in terms of the sentencing process we will be wanting to place evidence of a mitigatory nature before the court. This will involve hopefully viva voce evidence from friends, family. I will most certainly be wanting to call EXPERT witnesses in that regard, I have in mind for example although I haven't taken instructions on this, calling Dr Kevin Stoloff as a witness, who is known to the court, calling Dr Panieri-Peter in terms of her assessment, and my lady the bottom line is the period is too short to the 14th for us."

Stoloff was Rohde's treating psychiatrist earlier this year when he was admitted to Crescent Clinic with major depressive episode (before miraculously getting better, discharging himself and sacking his legal team).

Panieri-Peter is..well we all know who she is..she was sent packing with a flea in her ear by the Judge. Her trial testimony rejected.

This is what Spuy said about mitigation:

"My Lady in terms of the sentencing process we will be wanting to place evidence of a mitigatory nature before the court. This will involve hopefully viva voce evidence from friends, family. I will most certainly be wanting to call EXPERT witnesses in that regard, I have in mind for example although I haven't taken instructions on this, calling Dr Kevin Stoloff as a witness, who is known to the court, calling Dr Panieri-Peter in terms of her assessment, and my lady the bottom line is the period is too short to the 14th for us."

Stoloff was Rohde's treating psychiatrist earlier this year when he was admitted to Crescent Clinic with major depressive episode (before miraculously getting better, discharging himself and sacking his legal team).

Panieri-Peter is..well we all know who she is..she was sent packing with a flea in her ear by the Judge. Her trial testimony rejected.

So this will be a waste of time, as was Spuy's argument in Court (that went on and on, initially wanting 2 days), where Judge stated, he rehashed the evidence.
So are they going to state, 'poor JR, he needs special care as so ill'.

Lucky the Judge has already spoken about CW's so called severe Depression, in Feb.
MOO.

NPA seeks life imprisonment for liar, murderer Jason Rohde

620x349

Jason Rohde was remanded in custody after being found guilty of the murder of his wife Susan. Picture: Armand Hough/African News Agency (ANA)

So this will be a waste of time, as was Spuy's argument in Court (that went on and on, initially wanting 2 days), where Judge stated, he rehashed the evidence.
So are they going to state, 'poor JR, he needs special care as so ill'.

Lucky the Judge has already spoken about CW's so called severe Depression, in Feb.
MOO.
And he has appeared to be well lately and was fit to take the stand and argue. I don't see that a depressive episode after arrest has any bearing on his sentence or his crime. He wasn't depressed when he was conducting a love affair with his mistress. I'd like to see what the Judge says to them frankly.

And he has appeared to be well lately and was fit to take the stand and argue. I don't see that a depressive episode after arrest has any bearing on his sentence or his crime. He wasn't depressed when he was conducting a love affair with his mistress. I'd like to see what the Judge says to them frankly.

The defense tried VERY hard to get him out on bail until sentencing, thank goodness they didn't succeed... can't imagine the poor girls having to live under the same roof as the convicted murderer of their mother and having to deal with Matric exams! He requested that his client be granted bail until the sentencing date, stating that his client's track record has been 100% throughout the process that he has been granted bail in this matter.
Defense had the following to say: "He has never failed once to report, to sign in, to get permission, or to come to court with the sole exception of February this year when he was hospitalised with a major depressive episode. The court does have, as I understand it, a bail bond to the value of R100,000 which has been his bail up to now. And I request that this bail be extended at least until the 21st of November."
Jason Rohde's lawyer wants leave to appeal judgment | IOL News

The Judge, bless her soul, actually denied his renewed bail application by stating that she said she didn't believe he was as depressed as he alleged. She put it so well... worth a listen:
@ 1:36:03,
"It was not true that *sic(Mr Rohde) was a 100% compliant with his bail conditions"
"Dr. Stoloff's letter doesn not indicate that Mr Rohde was not "able" but "unwilling" (to come to court when requested by SAPS) "it shows intention by Mr Rohde"
"I see it in a dim light" - Judge Salie-Hlope

Last edited:
NPA seeks life imprisonment for liar, murderer Jason Rohde

620x349

Jason Rohde was remanded in custody after being found guilty of the murder of his wife Susan. Picture: Armand Hough/African News Agency (ANA)

Unfortunately life imprisonment does not mean life in reality in South Africa with the overcrowding of prisons :-( But yes, I'm sure she will hand down the appropriate and most severe sentence possible... unless the defense manages to prove extremely extenuating circumstances. Fingers crossed. MOO

The defense tried VERY hard to get him out on bail until sentencing, thank goodness they didn't succeed... can't imagine the poor girls having to live under the same roof as the convicted murder of their mother and having to deal with Matric exams! He requested that his client be granted bail until the sentencing date, stating that his client's track record has been 100% throughout the process that he has been granted bail in this matter.
Defense had the following to say: "He has never failed once to report, to sign in, to get permission, or to come to court with the sole exception of February this year when he was hospitalised with a major depressive episode. The court does have, as I understand it, a bail bond to the value of R100,000 which has been his bail up to now. And I request that this bail be extended at least until the 21st of November."
Jason Rohde's lawyer wants leave to appeal judgment | IOL News

The Judge, bless her soul, actually denied his renewed bail application by stating that she said she didn't believe he was as depressed as he alleged. She put it so well... worth a listen:
@ 1:36:03,
"It was not true that *sic(Mr Rohde) was a 100% compliant with his bail conditions"
"Dr. Stylof's letter doesn not indicate that Mr Rohde was not "able" but "unwilling" (to come to court when requested by SAPS) "it shows intention by Mr Rohde""I see it in a dim light" - Judge Salie-Hlope
Right? She is so good at slapping down nonsense.

Unfortunately life imprisonment does not mean life in reality in South Africa with the overcrowding of prisons :-( But yes, I'm sure she will hand down the appropriate and most severe sentence possible... unless the defense manages to prove extremely extenuating circumstances. Fingers crossed. MOO
My guess is he'll get 15 years plus whatever it is for misleading the investigation to run concurrently. I think that is the minimum but I could be wrong. No mitigating circumstances barring no previous history which is virtually meaningless to me in a case of such gravity. I accept premeditation will be hard to prove, but this was a sustained assault and he had time to think during those minutes about not wanting to go as far as causing her death. His intention was to kill her. Strangulation/suffocation is not a quick death, it requires pressure be sustained for about 5 minutes.

I suppose in reality that might mean he serves half with good behaviour? (7.5 years). Now that is too short for murder IMO. I don't think he is a likely candidate for ever doing anything like this in his life again, but he should be forced to spend at least that long reflecting on the life he TOOK. He is not remorseful, he has forever tainted Susan's memory with the evil and self-serving lie that she killed herself, so he would not have to pay for what he did. Some people may always believe that lie. Some people may even be angry at her, thinking she didn't care enough to live for them.

I've never been as shocked as I was with learning this verdict, and not because of the evidence but because of her demeanor during the State's closing arguments. I think by that time she had already written up her judgement and she was just listening out for anything she might want to use to bolster her written judgement. Interesting that she asked for clarification on the pillow photographs.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back