South Korea ship sinking - 450 on board, April 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I just saw on the news..the young man who made the first emergency call is among those missing.

Just my point of view, but there is only one point failure -- the Captain failed to instruct crew to get passengers to muster stations much earlier. There is only one crew member who should be criminally charged and that is the one person who had sole authority to order an evacuation and that is the master...the captain in this case!

The young crew member who was at the helm was following instructions and is being scapegoated....I am incensed that she's being charged.

The total onus is on the captain.

I appreciate your opinion, but I don't feel that the crew member at the helm has been scapegoated; I think that her being at the helm has just been brought forth in the media as one of the facts of the case. I think the Captain is taking most of the heat for what went wrong, and I hope when their cases go to court they will all be treated as individuals.

I think what most people are upset about is that the Captain and crew (so far nine have been arrested) were all able to safely deploy in a lifeboat but instructed the teens to stay put in their cabins. Who else would be expected to help them, if not the Captain and the crew? Even if their Captain is a coward and abandons all the passengers, I don't think that excuses the crew. Those children had no one else to help them.

There was one crew member who had only worked on the ship for six months, Park, who was obviously well trained about what to do in an emergency. So I don't believe that the remaining nine crew members would not have known what the proper protocol in an emergency would be. It appears to me, at least so far, that the crew and Captain made no attempts at all to help the passengers. In fact, their instructions to the teens to stay put contributed to their deaths.

One crew member cannot help rescue almost 500 people, she was doomed from the start, along with the passengers.

Snoods, I am very cross with that Captain ''choosing'' to give the helm to a novice who had never steered the ship through that point in the crossing ... and I totally agree that the rest of the crew did not perform evacuation duties at all. In addition to Park Jee Young, it's coming to light that there were some crew members that were doing their best to assist the passengers.

A call to his wife indicates that one of missing crew members was in process of helping students,

""His last words were, 'I'm on my way to save the kids,"' Ahn So-hyun told reporters of what her husband, missing crew member Yang Dae-hong, told her by cellphone as the ship began to sink Wednesday"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-as-death-toll-continues-to-rise-9274436.html

I don't know why, but this photo is very upsetting to me. It seems to indicate the last moments before it went completely under.

images

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...sengers-as-death-toll-continues-to-rise-92744

Snoods, I am very cross with that Captain ''choosing'' to give the helm to a novice who had never steered the ship through that point in the crossing ... and I totally agree that the rest of the crew did not perform evacuation duties at all. In addition to Park Jee Young, it's coming to light that there were some crew members that were doing their best to assist the passengers.

A call to his wife indicates that one of missing crew members was in process of helping students,

""His last words were, 'I'm on my way to save the kids,"' Ahn So-hyun told reporters of what her husband, missing crew member Yang Dae-hong, told her by cellphone as the ship began to sink Wednesday"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-as-death-toll-continues-to-rise-9274436.html

I hear what you're saying Newone, and I understand your anger at the Captain, I am extremely angry with him too! What is the proper protocol as to who takes over for the Captain when he leaves the helm? Does anyone know if the third mate was never supposed to be at the helm? I admit I know nothing about this. Even if the third mate wasn't supposed to be at the helm, unfortunately it is now a fact of the case. I'm sure this will all come to light as the case progresses. I don't know if that will make a difference in the Captain and crew's reaction after the ship started listing, to be honest. I hope that the third mate doesn't take the blame for everything that happened, for sure.

In the meantime, there are hundreds of dead children and a crew of which most are alive. It's not that I wish all of the crew to have stayed aboard and died, but I can't help but wonder if all of the crew (instead of just a few) and the Captain had reacted properly and worked together to rescue the children if this would have had a much different outcome.

I am so saddened to hear of other missing crew members, my heart breaks. And I am very glad that we are hearing about any hero crew members that tried to help!

Divers have not found any air pockets on the third and fourth floors. Most of the bodies have been found on the fourth floor in their cabins.

Per CNN.

Divers have made their way into the cafeteria and no bodies have been found, contradicting earlier reports that many of the students would probably be found there.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/22/world/asia/south-korea-ship-sinking/

nd most of the bodies found in the last two days had broken fingers, presumably from the children frantically trying to climb the walls or floors to escape in their last moments, media said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/23/us-korea-ship-idUSBREA3F01Y20140423

Hwang, the diver, said his team had retrieved 14 bodies so far. "We have to touch everything with our hands. This is the most grueling and heartbreaking job of my career," he said.

nd most of the bodies found in the last two days had broken fingers, presumably from the children frantically trying to climb the walls or floors to escape in their last moments, media said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/23/us-korea-ship-idUSBREA3F01Y20140423

Hwang, the diver, said his team had retrieved 14 bodies so far. "We have to touch everything with our hands. This is the most grueling and heartbreaking job of my career," he said.

Heartbreaking is an understatement after reading about this .... those poor kids.....

OT- Watching coverage on CNN and I am wondering why they wear those masks. I can understand when they are doing the sea rescue, but why at the funerals and in the waiting areas? ty

:truce:
OT- Watching coverage on CNN and I am wondering why they wear those masks. I can understand when they are doing the sea rescue, but why at the funerals and in the waiting areas? ty

Don't know, I wondered that myself. Is it possible that decomp is so bad that embalming is not possible. Unsure if they embalm in that country.

Was trying to imagine what the graduating class of 2016 would be like, considering this is almost the whole sophomore class at the school. Very sad. Should never have happened.

They need to raise that ferry NOW; imo.
The longer they wait the harder it will be to i.d. those poor victims.
Such a horrible situation that didn't have to happen, from the way I've read about it !

My condolences to those relatives and friends of the lost ; I cannot begin to even imagine your pain !

:truce:

Don't know, I wondered that myself. Is it possible that decomp is so bad that embalming is not possible. Unsure if they embalm in that country.

They do embalm, but I don't know how they would be able to do it so quickly with so many dead. The funerals have been pretty quick in my opinion. jmo

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966
Back