South Korea ship sinking - 450 on board, April 2014

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
[Your right it is becoming hard to determine exactly ow the planet is going to fall apart !!!!!!!!!!
So many options this month

I think my preferance would be the metorite due to hit ha !!!!!!!!!

QUOTE=trigger;10487750]You forgot mudslids, earthquakes and now Russia, N Korea, Bagdad, Afghanistan,etc.

I think the world is coming to a end.[/QUOTE]

That does it ! Sadly you and I are correct -- the hospital where the kids are got a bomb scare you just have got to be kidding me

Bomb threat at Korea University Ansan Hospital - YouTube

Go here guys- awesome coverage – just awesome-

http://www.youtube.com/user/arirangnews

Random what I have learned:

Disgusting like 7-8 crew members were told right away to escape and did so in a hallway only they could get to. They all walked by the life rafts on their way off the sinking vessel.

Some of em said they could not get to the rafts – there are pictures of them passing the rafts on their way to be rescued – they were the first people that made it to the rescue boats

They fled 10 minutes after they told the kids to stay put

Ex-employees are calling in and saying they would not board the vessel it was so unsafe

Widely known that the ship was a piece of crap!

People who own line are worth 230 million- that is their net worth only in Korea- they have all sorts of illegal investments all around the planet

If the captain had dropped the anchors it would not have flipped

The steering problem report never made it to maintenance folks

Allegations that owners paid off safety investigators

Don’t remember which one (there are 115! Excellent reports here – one of me had neat animation study of event

Man, I wish these guys were doing MAL 370!!!

The head dude of the country was seen sitting on a couch, eating soup while all the families are lying on the floor of the auditorium

Got has raided the owners house and you can see folks leaving with tons of boxes

They investigating the port – have told all operators that they had better, in the next two weeks get their operations in order – starting May 9 the got is paying you all a very nasty visit!!

82% of marine accidents in Korea are pilot error

Another ferry did the same thing (cargo shift) and sank a while back

Go here – I have learned more in the last two hours than CNN since they murdered a bunch of kids

After spending time here much more nauseated with the crew, now I hope they all go to prison – they had walkie talkies and were telling each other how to get off the sinking ship

Took a year to get the other one up and out, and it was not upside down on the seabed

Tides are gonna get worse now

They use flairs at night !

Only two divers per rescue line -- can only stay down 20 minutes

Diving bell bought in

At one point the families kicked out all officials and talked among themselves!!

Fascinating-the fact that it went down and over so fast indciates that the ballast containers were NOT properly filled --water heavy - more weight means more fuel $$$$$$$$$$$

Disgusting….

My mouth is hanging open...

these are very serious... And disgusting... Revelations...

:thud:

Wow CARIIS, great find! Disheartening, but great.

I'd read the rumors about the owners paying off the right people to allow excess cargo onboard the vessel. I believe it is true. Something made that vessel flip over and sink.

For anyone hoping that those kids had a quick or painless death, they didn't. Broken fingers? Huddled into one room? They suffered.

The more I learn about this the angrier I get. If it's true about the overloaded cargo on board a vessel full of high school students, wow.

Korean officials say the vessel was carrying 459 passengers, including 325 students and 15 teachers, roughly half its capacity of just over 900.

he ferry is said to have delayed its departure for several hours due to thick fog.

Owner Chong Hae Jin Marine said it had KRW 10bn ($9.6m) of insurance for the vessel, presumably referring to the hull and machinery cover

For a vessel with a capacity of 800 passengers this amounts to an unfeasibly high and totally uninsurable $240bn

http://www.tradewindsnews.com/casualties/336122/korean-ferry-tragedy

The 20-year-old vessel was a secondhand ship, earlier bought by Pusan-based operator Chong Hae Jin Marine as Naminoue from a Japanese owner.

A number of recent high-casualty ferry accidents have sparked the concern over safety. Around 116 passengers and crew lives were claimed when the 11,400-gt St Thomas Aquinas (built 1973) sank after it collided with the 11,500-dwt cargoship Sulpicio Express Siete (built 1981) in the Philippines last year.

In 2008, around 800 died when the 1,992-passenger Princess of the Stars (built 1984) sank in typhoon Fengsheng also in the Philippines.

http://www.tradewindsnews.com/weekl...on-is-suspected-in-south-korean-ferry-tragedy

https://www.google.com/search?q=Sou...-news-about-missing-children-1445140;1180;787

Perfect descripttion as I was watching their reporting the one with thepictures of them right by the life rafts and then the coast guard guy getting two of them in the water AFTER the crew were snug as a bug on the rescue boat really pissed me off.

My mouth is hanging open...

these are very serious... And disgusting... Revelations...

:thud:

First distress call from sinking South Korean ferry was from 'boy with a shaking voice'... and was followed by 20 other calls from children on board ship

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...left-loved-ones-identified.html#ixzz2zxxMEtyI
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

The founder of the predecessor company, Yoo Byung-un, (Yoo described his feelings about the bankruptcy in a magazine interview.
) once likened his 1997 bankruptcy proceedings to a captain going down with his ship.

Officials said on Tuesday they had launched investigations this week into tax issues and possible illegal foreign currency transactions by the company and by the Yoo family.

Yoo was jailed for four years in the early 1990s, according to court proceedings at the time, for his role in colluding with one of his employees to defraud a group of people of 1.2 billion won ($1.15 million).

Yoo started off making soap and ended up with a business empire that spanned shipping, building and cosmetics before the company he ran, Semo Co. Ltd, went bankrupt in 1997.

Yoo's company Semo started operating ferries on Seoul's Han River in 1986, just two years before the city held the Summer Olympics. The number of daily ferry passengers in the river jumped to around 4,000 in 1988, the Olympics year, from just 46 in 1986, according to media reports at the time.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/04/24/world/asia/south-korea-ship-sinking-yoo/

company that owned the South Korean ferry which sank last week, killing possibly hundreds of people, sprang out of a shipping to cosmetics empire founded by a businessman who was jailed for fraud and then went bankrupt.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/22/south-korea-ferry-company_n_5191036.html

"About 20 relatives were reported to have forced their way into the office of Choi Sang-hwan, the Deputy Director of the Korea Coastguard, before dragging him outside."

"Families held a marathon confrontation with South Korea's fisheries minister and the coastguard chief, surrounding them in an overnight stand-off that lasted into today."

"Dozens crowded around the grim-faced officials, who sat on the ground and tried to explain the search efforts. One man threatened to punch reporters gathered near the tent."

"Relatives occasionally shouted, accusing the officials of lying about the operation and asking why hundreds of civilian divers have not been allowed to join coastguard and navy efforts in searching for bodies."

"Some of the relatives cried through the early hours of the tense scene, but as morning came the mood of the discussion mellowed."

"It was the latest expression of fury and desperation in a disaster filled with signs that the government did too little to protect passengers."

(Photos at link)

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rround-sunken-SKorea-ferry.html#ixzz2zz9w2RZz

"More than 80 per cent of the dead and missing were junior pupils at Danwon High School in Anwan, south of Seoul, where seniors yesterday returned to a campus strewn with yellow ribbons, chrysanthemums and photos of lost classmates and teachers."

"Younger grades, including the 13 juniors who did not go on the ferry, will return to school next week. It is not clear when the 75 students who survived will return. Most remain in hospital, many for mental stress."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rround-sunken-SKorea-ferry.html#ixzz2zzCkwCWK

I must say all the recent news coverage of an apparent lack of regard for human life vs profit and "national honor" (Malaysia 370) has reconfirmed that I won't be traveling to this area of the world again. What I am seeing is disgusting...its all been there for years but events recently have really brought things to light. Sorry to generalize but what else can you do as you watch events like this.

But he added: "Koreans don't have the view that they have to stay with their ship until the end. It is a different culture from the West." ...from some news coverage...my response is "no kidding!!!"

Does anyone know the count as of today.

confirmed dead and still missing? ty

Does anyone know the count as of today.

confirmed dead and still missing? ty

"The entire 15 crew members involved in navigating the doomed South Korean ferry which left 302 people dead or missing after sinking, are now under arrest, it has been revealed."

Ten days after the sinking, 187 bodies have been recovered and 115 people remain missing feared dead in the dark rooms of the submerged vessel.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-crew-navigated-ferry-held.html#ixzz300caYt66

It also is becoming more and more clear that the safety violations and total lack of enforcement together with paying people off is not limited to this shipping line. The entire industry in South Korea needs to be investigated and reformed. A very difficult task indeed. It seems that it was fairly common knowledge that this line had some of the lowest standards around...and because of their large capacity was popular among school groups...it was probably cheap too. So sad all the parents blaming themselves.

This is so gut wrenchingly hard for me to read.. With a 17 yr old son of my own. I know given a proper chance so many of these kids would have survived... I just feel nauseas at the thought that they were told to stay put.. Teens are strong, resilient and so full of life these kids would have at least had a great chance of survival given the opportunity to abort the ship.. I'm so sickened. :(

Very interesting article about who is most likely to survive a sinking vessel. The old adage the Captain goes down with the ship is a myth. It seems the Captain and crew are most likely to survive any sinking vessel, surprise surprise. The Titanic was the exception to the rule.

In all reality, women are only half as likely to survive as men, though since World War I that gender gap has started to narrow. And the captain and crew, the group responsible for ensuring the safety of the passengers and, theoretically, the last ones off the sinking ship, were actually 18.7 percent more likely to survive a shipwreck than any of the passengers, even the male ones. (Despite the unwritten rule, only seven out of 16 captains went down with the ship.)

More at article:
http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/08/01...-most-likely-to-survive-shipwrecks-not-women/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suns12035
Back