South Korea ship sinking - 450 on board, April 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Maybe didnt want to be recognized as captain of ship, so maybe this way he would look like a civilian and not a captain? IDK?

I think you're exactly right. Honestly that had never occurred to me, but after thinking about your post last night, I 100% believe you're correct. The rescuers were quoted as saying they had no idea they were rescuing the Captain of the ship.

Everyone else managed to have their clothes on, yet the Captain didn't? I don't care what I did to my pants or in my pants, I would rather be rescued in them than without them, especially if I were the CAPTAIN of the ship! He was trying to avoid any difficult questions, without a doubt. What a .

]Harrowing footage shows South Korean ferry passengers trying to break windows to reach rescuers moments before vanishing beneath the waves

Video shows arm hammering on the glass in frantic bid for freedom
[/B]
Rescue boats can be seen just a few metres away on the other side

Captain claims owners ignored warnings about stability problems

He said refurbishment to add extra cabins had affected its balance

Confirmed death toll rises to 210, with 92 passengers still missing

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ts-vanishing-beneath-waves.html#ixzz30PCtSd8J

BBM That's heartbreaking! To me it looks like a person at first, but then it appears they are trying to break the window with a large object.

To me the unforgivable part was telling them to stay in the cabins. Even if they'd have told them to abandon ship and that it was everyone for themselves, and then left them to their fates, they would have stood something of a chance. I can well understand the Prime Minister's comment that some of the actions were tantamount to murder.

'It's like the Titanic!': Harrowing footage from aboard doomed South Korean ferry shows students joking and laughing when ship begins to capsize

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tudents-joking-laughing-ship-begins-list.html

" Heart-breaking video footage and photographs of terrified school students aboard the doomed Sewol South Korean ferry as it begins to capsize have emerged today."

"In footage recovered from a phone belonging to one of the passengers aboard the ill-fated Sewol ferry, a student can be heard saying: 'This is fun'. Clearly unaware of the severity of their situation, another says: 'This is like Titanic.'

"Moments later, as the ferry begins to tilt and shake, one young boy can be heard saying: 'I want to get off. We don't want to die.'

"Pictures from the phone show groups of terrified young men wearing life jackets as they attempt to make sense of the terrifying situation."

Oh Lord....

"Towards the end of the footage, found on a phone belonging to Park Su-hyeon, 17, one child can be heard documenting his last words - saying: 'This looks like the end'.

"Another poignantly says: 'These are pictures we need to take as our last memories,' before another boy cuts in and says: 'Mom, Dad, I love you.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-laughing-ship-begins-list.html#ixzz30V4vuJ5O
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

It use to be that a captain took pride in being the last one to leave the ship. Their job was to make sure every passenger was off the ship. It seems the newer generations have a different motto, and that's every man, women and child for themselves. It's crazy. It's getting to be you can't trust anyone. Your pilot, captain, engineer pretty soon were going to have to go back to horse and buggy for the roads and a canoe and paddles for the ocean.

It use to be that a captain took pride in being the last one to leave the ship. Their job was to make sure every passenger was off the ship. It seems the newer generations have a different motto, and that's every man, women and child for themselves. It's crazy. It's getting to be you can't trust anyone. Your pilot, captain, engineer pretty soon were going to have to go back to horse and buggy for the roads and a canoe and paddles for the ocean.

could not agree more with what you said...am told constantly by military folks that an officer's first duty is to the welfare of his men (and women of course) which in at sea translates to crew and all who are aboard. Given that he was a merchant mariner his rank should behoove him to act ''honorably'' - with rank comes responsibility as well as privilege.

Oh Lord....

"Towards the end of the footage, found on a phone belonging to Park Su-hyeon, 17, one child can be heard documenting his last words - saying: 'This looks like the end'.

"Another poignantly says: 'These are pictures we need to take as our last memories,' before another boy cuts in and says: 'Mom, Dad, I love you.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-laughing-ship-begins-list.html#ixzz30V4vuJ5O
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

:tears: Oh y'all, IMO this is the biggest tragedy that's happened since I've been a member here. Heck, it's the worst thing that's happened that I can remember. These were all kids! Hundreds of kids that put their trust in adults to help them!

I have yet to see any MSM articles that express the outrage of the Korean citizenry at large ((politicians do not count)).....we have of course information on the poor grieving families but I would sure like to hear some ''man in the street'' reporting

'It's like the Titanic!': Harrowing footage from aboard doomed South Korean ferry shows students joking and laughing when ship begins to capsize

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tudents-joking-laughing-ship-begins-list.html

" Heart-breaking video footage and photographs of terrified school students aboard the doomed Sewol South Korean ferry as it begins to capsize have emerged today."

"In footage recovered from a phone belonging to one of the passengers aboard the ill-fated Sewol ferry, a student can be heard saying: 'This is fun'. Clearly unaware of the severity of their situation, another says: 'This is like Titanic.'

"Moments later, as the ferry begins to tilt and shake, one young boy can be heard saying: 'I want to get off. We don't want to die.'

"Pictures from the phone show groups of terrified young men wearing life jackets as they attempt to make sense of the terrifying situation."

BBM In that footage you can also clearly hear one of the students singing the Celine Dion theme song from Titantic, 'My Heart Will Go On.'

An opinion piece about the disaster that reacts to the South Korean president's remark about the conduct of some of the ferry's crew being "akin to murder." Murder? Maybe not, but certainly manslaughter.
The article:
The South Korea ferry disaster is truly awful, but it is not murder

The comments are interesting.
I've been thinking about this article for a while. The captain left the ship, while leaving the automated announcement running that told the passengers not to move from where they were at. He knew enough to know he needed to abandon ship, yet he left everyone else on board thinking they were required to stay where they were. Is it murder when you know someone is going to die due to your own actions (leaving on an announcement telling them to stay put) and you do nothing to keep them from dying? He knew the passengers were going to die unless he told them to get off the ship.

The boat was carrying three times the amount of weight it was supposed to. The Captain had to know this, yet he said nothing, perhaps in fear of losing his job. Is it murder when you are a party to an illegal action that could cause the sinking of the ship you are in charge of, resulting in the death of any passenger? He knew the ferry was overloaded. He should know that overloading can result in the ferry sinking. He should know that if the ferry sinks, it's very unlikely that everyone will survive.

The ship owner knew the ship was overloaded during most of it's voyages, but IMO only cared about profit margins. Is it murder when you know you have overloaded a ship by four times it's allowed weight knowing that could cause it to sink since it has happened twice, before ( Seohae in 1993 overload confirmed and Namyoung in 1970)

Sinking of the MV Seohae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://english.cri.cn/11354/2014/04/22/189s823154.htm

It sounds rather murderous to me. (the Malice being Reckless indifference to an unjustifiably high risk to human life) I'm sure they'll go with negligent homicide or the like, though.

The South Korean ferry that capsized was carrying too much cargo, and it wasn't properly tied down, police and prosecutors say.

Ferry disaster: Too much cargo contributed to sinking, police say

By Ed Payne and Stella Kim, CNN

updated 9:51 AM EDT, Tue May 6, 2014

Seoul, South Korea (CNN) -- [Breaking news update, posted at 9:51 a.m. ET]

Excessive cargo, and a failure to bind it properly, contributed to last month's sinking of the South Korean ferry Sewol, the joint police and prosecuting team investigating the disaster said Tuesday.

This is the first time South Korean investigators said what they believed led to the April 16 capsizing and sinking, which killed at least 267 people...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/06/world/...ing/index.html

:tears: Oh y'all, IMO this is the biggest tragedy that's happened since I've been a member here. Heck, it's the worst thing that's happened that I can remember. These were all kids! Hundreds of kids that put their trust in adults to help them!

I agree. I cry everytime I come here.

When I started this Thread it first said all children had been rescued and I thought what a miracle it was. Then sadness to learn it was not true.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
siblingminds
Back